Galactic Civilizations III Released!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zenn7

Re: Galactic Civilizations III Released!

Post by Zenn7 »

Jeff V wrote:I don't play campaigns, so the mega-events was the only one I bothered with. It's ok.
I was of the impression that Revenge of the Snathi and Precursor added new races/techs/abilities (not just new custom races which you could make on your own with a custom race, but something new that goes with them)? Have not b ought the game yet. Almost did but decided to get Endless Legends and Deathtrap for now. Next sale, maybe get this.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Zenn7 wrote:
Jeff V wrote:I don't play campaigns, so the mega-events was the only one I bothered with. It's ok.
I was of the impression that Revenge of the Snathi and Precursor added new races/techs/abilities (not just new custom races which you could make on your own with a custom race, but something new that goes with them)? Have not b ought the game yet.
I posted a question on the GC3 Steam forum asking if the content of the Precursor Worlds DLC was presented as a new campaign, or is it added to the sandbox play and the answer posted was sandbox only. That's good for me since I don't do campaigns either.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I bought Precursor Worlds today, but I'm mired in an Insane game at the moment and each turn takes about 10 minutes. Not sure when I'll be starting a new one, although once I obliterate my one enemy, I might just try to kumbaya the other races for a diplomatic victory.
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Jeff V wrote:I bought Precursor Worlds today, but I'm mired in an Insane game at the moment and each turn takes about 10 minutes. Not sure when I'll be starting a new one, although once I obliterate my one enemy, I might just try to kumbaya the other races for a diplomatic victory.
:)
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

GalCiv III: Mercenaries was announced today! The first expansion for Galactic Civilizations III with New Factions, New Ships, Mercenary Bazaar and more. :)
Visit the Galactic Bazaar and hire dozens of Mercenaries
Discover Galactic Bazaars and choose from dozens of mercenaries for hire! Is that anomaly a little too dangerous to risk your own life and limb over? Pick a mercenary suited for the job and order them to do your bidding. Your bones are fragile, after all.

New Campaign! Lead the Torians to freedom from their Drengin oppressors
Hire mercenaries and use them to help lead the Torians to freedom from their Drengin oppressors in an exciting new campaign. Rebuild your shattered empire from the ground up and thrive in the face of adversity.

Tons of New Ship Designs
Every mercenary has their own unique ship for traveling across the galaxy in style. Speaking of style, there are lots of new ship parts to enhance your own customizations and styles!

Play as an Ancient Race of Warriors
The Arceans, an ancient and honorable civilization of warriors and long-time enemy of the Drengin Empire, make their debut in Mercenaries! The Arceans have new racial traits and abilities and a unique tech tree to boot!

Play as an Old Familiar Race from Galactic Civilizations II
The aquatic Torians are back and ready to fight! ...Well, sort of. They're ready to hire a bunch of mercenaries to help them escape their enslavement from the cruel Drengin Empire. The Torians are at the center of the Mercenaries campaign and also have new racial traits, abilities, and tech trees for you to explore.
More info: http://forums.galciv3.com/474543/

Enlarge Image
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

The Torians look as sniveling as ever!

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Island Dog wrote:GalCiv III: Mercenaries was announced today! The first expansion for Galactic Civilizations III with New Factions, New Ships, Mercenary Bazaar and more. :)
Meh. Since I don't play campaigns that part of it doesn't interest me. And since I don't spend untold time designing ships to look like Pamela Anderson's bosom, the new ship parts aren't a draw. The mercenaries look interesting... maybe.

I'm intrigued by the Arceans. A new tech tree might be worth looking into.

So, I'll wait for impressions I guess.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

GalCiv III: Mercenaries and the v1.6 update are out today! :)

Mercenaries info: http://forums.galciv3.com/474801/

v1.6 changelog: http://forums.galciv3.com/475427

In Galactic Civilizations III: Mercenaries, the human race is fighting a war against the remorseless Drengin Empire. Both sides have become increasingly desperate, leading them to turn to the galactic underworld and their elite mercenaries.
Visit the Galactic Bazaar and hire dozens of Mercenaries
Discover Galactic Bazaars and choose from dozens of mercenaries for hire! Is that anomaly a little too dangerous to risk your own life and limb over? Pick a mercenary suited for the job and order them to do your bidding. Your bones are fragile, after all.

New Campaign! Lead the Torians to freedom from their Drengin oppressors
Hire mercenaries and use them to help lead the Torians to freedom from their Drengin oppressors in an exciting new campaign. Rebuild your shattered empire from the ground up and thrive in the face of adversity.

Tons of New Ship Designs
Every mercenary has their own unique ship for traveling across the galaxy in style. Speaking of style, there are lots of new ship parts to enhance your own customizations and styles!

Play as an Ancient Race of Warriors
The Arceans, an ancient and honorable civilization of warriors and long-time enemy of the Drengin Empire, make their debut in Mercenaries! The Arceans have new racial traits and abilities and a unique tech tree to boot!

Play as an Old Familiar Race from Galactic Civilizations II
The aquatic Torians are back and ready to fight! ...Well, sort of. They're ready to hire a bunch of mercenaries to help them escape their enslavement from the cruel Drengin Empire. The Torians are at the center of the Mercenaries campaign and also have new racial traits, abilities, and tech trees for you to explore.
Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Maybe I'll have some time to look at this over the weekend. I have to finish a current game first.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm in my second game now with the Mercenaries add-on -- did it disable previous DLC? I no longer see the precursor planets or anomalies from the last DLC I bought.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Jeff V wrote:I'm in my second game now with the Mercenaries add-on -- did it disable previous DLC? I no longer see the precursor planets or anomalies from the last DLC I bought.
Hmm, must just be unlucky. I'm seeing them in my current game.

I really kind of like the mercenaries. It's a nice way to change up the game. I especially like being able to hire awesome mercenary scouts early in the game to actually get some serious exploring done.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

The mercenaries are cool, but so far the resource costs make some of them near-unattainable. Some of them also have a rather steep RoI -- the one that gives you $5 per turn costs around $2200, putting the break-even point at an astounding 440 turns.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Well I'll be damned. The very next turn this evening uncovered a precursor anomaly. :D
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Slight derail: I recently tried again to get the last version of GC2 and still could not download it. Some forum detective work revealed that one must have the Ultimate Edition -- the older individually-bought games were not upgradable. Opening a support ticket led Stardock to kindly upgrade me to Ultimate Edition for free, so I finally have the final GC2 (v.2.20, I think it is).

Haven't actually played it yet, but I intend to give it another go or two before I buy GC3.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v.161 update went out this week with fixes and tweaks for both Mercenaries and the base game.
Gameplay

The Starbase Military ring and its two upgrades now give a flat bonus.
All other Starbase military modules still give multipliers but at higher values.
Reduced the Starbase Range boost given by Military ring by 1.
Starbase culture bases and modules now generate more influence per turn
Increased the anomaly counts on mid-range settings.
Full changelog: http://forums.galciv3.com/475641/
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I have kind of an odd question, but someone might know. If I change the victory conditions of a game of GC3 to, say, make conquest the only viable option, will the AI still attempt to pursue victory via other methods? Even though those methods are no longer valid in the current game?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

jztemple2 wrote:I have kind of an odd question, but someone might know. If I change the victory conditions of a game of GC3 to, say, make conquest the only viable option, will the AI still attempt to pursue victory via other methods? Even though those methods are no longer valid in the current game?
I have never done this, but I think they will only try to achieve conquest if that is the only option and forget the others (although, technically, going for other types of victory will aid a conquest victory goal). The AI for GalCiv (all of them, really) is fairly strong so I can't imagine this would be an oversight.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm liking the mercenary ships, there's certainly some creative bonuses in there. One of the ships I hired is a culture bomb...I station it at a frontier planet, he expands the borders and when an enemy planet flips, I move him forward. I'm wondering how quickly I can achieve a culture victory with this method.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Island Dog - it appears the Metaverse is not accepting my wins with the new expansion. I won 3 games (2 as Torian and one as Arcean) and the win count is not updating.
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Jeff V wrote:Island Dog - it appears the Metaverse is not accepting my wins with the new expansion. I won 3 games (2 as Torian and one as Arcean) and the win count is not updating.
Still happening? They were doing some maintenance recently on it, so that might have affected some thing.

What's your username on the Metaverse?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm Overlord Jeff. Just finished another win, still stuck at 19 wins. That's at least 4 in a row that were not counted, all since the expansion was installed.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Another thing undoubtedly related: achievements did not unlock for victories as Arceans or Torians although I won multiple times with both. Any idea what is going on?
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

http://galciv3.com/metaverse#/personas/ ... ladderId=x

Yeah, the games aren't being reported as finished.

Are you seeing the "End of Game report" and if so, you are online?

They're looking more into this, but if there' any other info that might be useful please let me know. Errors, etc.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Island Dog wrote:http://galciv3.com/metaverse#/personas/ ... ladderId=x

Yeah, the games aren't being reported as finished.

Are you seeing the "End of Game report" and if so, you are online?

They're looking more into this, but if there' any other info that might be useful please let me know. Errors, etc.
I am getting the end game report; no error messages though. Maybe I can send a save game if that will help? I'll have to see if I have any close to the end game.
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Thanks. There's something the team would like to look at, but I'll PM you the details.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Lead Designer Paul Boyer has written a dev journal on what's new in the 1.7 update for Galactic Civilizations which should be coming soon.

http://forums.galciv3.com/477007/
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Island Dog wrote:Lead Designer Paul Boyer has written a dev journal on what's new in the 1.7 update for Galactic Civilizations which should be coming soon.

http://forums.galciv3.com/477007/
Interesting changes, looking forward to their implementation. I like the idea of more ways to help wade through all the ships in the Designer.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

(Mostly for JeffV, but anyone can answer): I've been enjoying the GalCiv2 Ultimate edition for the past few days and asking myself why I would ever want to replace it with GC3. Given that I don't care about graphics or the ship builder, how is GC3 a better game than the fully patched and balanced Twilight of the Arnor?

I've asked this once or twice without getting a compelling answer. Thought I'd ask again since GC3 has had time to bake. I have the good fortune to buy a new game this year and GC3 is on my short list.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The big 1.7 update for Galactic Civilizations III is out today!

Full changelog: http://forums.galciv3.com/475888/
Queue Upgrades Directly from Shipyards
Constructors are ordered from the Shipyard that can deliver the upgrade in the shortest amount of time and will now automatically travel to the Starbase.

Plan Your Battles...and Your Retreats
The new "Battle Assessment" feature allows you to hover your mouse over an enemy fleet to see an estimation of your fleet's victory against them.

Sort and Group your Ships with Ease
New options make it easier to find the ships you want when you want them. Mark your "favorite" ships so that you can snap right to them in a hurry!

Make Friends, Not Enemies
The update to diplomacy has made it so that your allies are more likely to give you a good deal on trades! Trade value will now scale based on the game's difficulty setting and your relationship with other factions.

Easily Access Starbase Modules and Effects Info
The "Starbase Window" displays more detailed statistics and will aid you in managing the Starbase and the rest of your empire.

Maximize a Colony's Potential
The new "Planetary Alert System" will warn you when your influence, population, or approval are holding your colony back.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Island Dog wrote:The big 1.7 update for Galactic Civilizations III is out today!

Full changelog: http://forums.galciv3.com/475888/
That's quite a change list! I'll be starting a new game shortly...
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I think it is time to revisit the game
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Same here. Is it worth playing through the campaign for a beginner? Or can i just load up a big map and go? I usually prefer the latter.
He won. Period.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote:Same here. Is it worth playing through the campaign for a beginner? Or can i just load up a big map and go? I usually prefer the latter.
Easier to learn on smaller skirmish maps than in the campaign
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cool, thanks!
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Built my first starbase...and now the game crashes to desktop constantly afterwards. Is it just me? Or was the latest patch the issue? Not sure if the starbase was the trigger for the crashes, but I went back to an earlier save game and tried to build it again, only to get the same results. :?

I'm in the tutorial, by the way. I may start a new map and give it a go, though. Shame really. I was having a blast with it. :(
He won. Period.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

I'm very late to the party with this game. Bought it long ago, played the tutorial and got discouraged for some reason, and then got distracted.

So I pulled it out to give it another go... and I am very surprised to find I am having trouble getting it to run properly on my system. It takes forever to load (and froze solid when something else was open) and visual things are very, very sluggish in-game. Things like setting the picture of the leader for your race -- you'd think the game had frozen, it takes so long.

I'm running Windows 10, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 960.

Is this just the way the game is, or might there be some explanation?
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

hepcat wrote:Built my first starbase...and now the game crashes to desktop constantly afterwards. Is it just me? Or was the latest patch the issue? Not sure if the starbase was the trigger for the crashes, but I went back to an earlier save game and tried to build it again, only to get the same results. :?

I'm in the tutorial, by the way. I may start a new map and give it a go, though. Shame really. I was having a blast with it. :(
They released a hotfix today that addresses your problem hep.
http://forums.galciv3.com/477168/page/1/
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

hepcat wrote:Built my first starbase...and now the game crashes to desktop constantly afterwards. Is it just me? Or was the latest patch the issue? Not sure if the starbase was the trigger for the crashes, but I went back to an earlier save game and tried to build it again, only to get the same results. :?

Were you able to get it working with that hotfix?

dbemont wrote:I'm very late to the party with this game. Bought it long ago, played the tutorial and got discouraged for some reason, and then got distracted.

So I pulled it out to give it another go... and I am very surprised to find I am having trouble getting it to run properly on my system. It takes forever to load (and froze solid when something else was open) and visual things are very, very sluggish in-game. Things like setting the picture of the leader for your race -- you'd think the game had frozen, it takes so long.

I'm running Windows 10, 8 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 960.

Is this just the way the game is, or might there be some explanation?
I'd first recommend making sure you have the latest video drivers, and checking the game cache with Steam. Maybe even try a reinstall.

http://esupport.stardock.com/index.php? ... eshooting
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v1.71 update is out today that addresses bugs, optimize performance (esp. on larger maps/longer games), and introduce a few improvements to the gameplay and lobby.

Full changelog: http://forums.galciv3.com/477459
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Steam has the game on sale this weekend. See the Steam sale thread for details, but sale items:

Base Game
Gold version
Mercenaries DLC (not the other DLC, but this is the newest) - this specifically, being what I wanted, is 50% off - $9.99.