Galactic Civilizations III Released!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Island Dog

Re: Galactic Civilizations III Released!

Post by Island Dog »

The Builder's Kit DLC is out today. :)

http://forums.galciv3.com/477524/

New Ship Parts
Use dozens of core and specialized parts in shapes like disks, boxes, cockpits, fins, and more!

New Labeling Options
Use letters and numbers to enhance your ship designs and show off your creative names!

New Ship Style Set
The new Raider style allows you to outfit your custom factions with a new look to their starbases, shipyards, and more!

Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This new DLC now on my Wishlist. I've been eyeing Stellaris, but I do like the GC series and stuff like this DLC helps to keep me entertained :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The Galactic Civilizations III v1.8 update is out today with asteroid mining, ship leveling, improved multiplayer, and more. :)

Info and changelog: http://forums.galciv3.com/477869/
Asteroid Mining
Looking for a get rich quick scheme? Well, this may not quite fit the bill, but it will fill your pockets! Choose an asteroid in your zone of control and build an Asteroid Mining Base. When completed, it will send raw production to a planet of your choice. make sure to keep an eye out for your enemies, though -- these bases are fragile and easily destroyed.

New Planet List
There are a lot of planets out there just waiting to be discovered! This new planet list allows you to keep track of the planets you've already found so that when you go back to colonize them later, they're much easier to find.

Ship Leveling
Win battles and survey anomalies to level up your vessels! Most ships will gain additional hit points as they gain experience and Mercenary Ships will improve based on their existing abilities, which makes them a lot more relevant in the late game.

Star Information Window
Click on a star to see all colonizable worlds within that system. Organize your empire by renaming stars with your own name scheme - or, draw inspiration from your favorite Sci-Fi series!

Multiplayer Improvements
Enjoy new stability in your games online with friends! The game has been updated to allow for increased ship movement during multiplayer matches and a host of fixes for issues that could cause desyncs.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

This new patch motivated me to start a new campaign after not playing for quite a while. As a result, I've got a few questions. Here's one...

In the above example, there is the line item "Manufacturing Cost +30". Does that just mean it costs 30 to build it, or does that have some other meaning? I used to know this stuff, I swear, it's just senioritus.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

jztemple2 wrote:This new patch motivated me to start a new campaign after not playing for quite a while. As a result, I've got a few questions. Here's one...

In the above example, there is the line item "Manufacturing Cost +30". Does that just mean it costs 30 to build it, or does that have some other meaning? I used to know this stuff, I swear, it's just senioritus.
This explains the manufacturing types. Hopefully that will explain it.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Rise of the Terrans DLC is here!

More info: http://forums.galciv3.com/477926/

Rise of the Terrans includes:
New Prequel Story Campaign
Learn how the Terran Alliance was founded and what challenges humanity faced as they fought to form it.

Face Down New Threats
Encounter the Stellar Guild and the deadly Xendar Menace

Play as a New Faction
Enjoy the benefits of a new trait that boosts experience gained from ship battles with the United Earth faction, led by new leader Secretary Mathews
Enlarge Image
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Island Dog wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:This new patch motivated me to start a new campaign after not playing for quite a while. As a result, I've got a few questions. Here's one...

Did you mean to have a link with this?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

baelthazar wrote:
Island Dog wrote:

Did you mean to have a link with this?
LOL Baffled me, too, and I don't even have this game. Yet.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

No gaming weather this weekend. Maybe next weekend, which is the last weekend my wife works until she decides to find a new job (ETA, Decemberish) and possibly the last chance to play anything until then.
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

LOL sorry. I was trying to post a link to the wiki on manufacturing.

http://wiki.galciv3.com/index.php/Manufacturing
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Island Dog wrote:LOL sorry. I was trying to post a link to the wiki on manufacturing.

http://wiki.galciv3.com/index.php/Manufacturing
The actual answer seems to be here (i.e. the cost to build a consulate is 30).

Looking at it as someone with no exposure to the game, the UI does seem to be a little confusing in that by showing the manufacturing and maintenance costs as signed values, and mingling them with the effect of the improvement, they could be mistaken as effects/modifiers produced by the structure rather the costs to build/maintain the structure (not that I can think of any reason that a consulate would increase the overall manufacturing/maintenance costs).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The Builders Kit DLC is on sale this week for half off. Oddly, no other DLC is on sale.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Island Dog wrote:The Builder's Kit DLC is out today. :)
New Ship Style Set
The new Raider style allows you to outfit your custom factions with a new look to their starbases, shipyards, and more!
Enlarge Image
jztemple2 wrote:The Builders Kit DLC is on sale this week for half off. Oddly, no other DLC is on sale.
Did anyone ever decide if this "new Raider style" item was just cosmetic or is there anything substantial than cosmetic changes in this DLC?
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote:
Island Dog wrote:The Builder's Kit DLC is out today. :)
New Ship Style Set
Enlarge Image
jztemple2 wrote:The Builders Kit DLC is on sale this week for half off. Oddly, no other DLC is on sale.
Did anyone ever decide if this "new Raider style" item was just cosmetic or is there anything substantial than cosmetic changes in this DLC?
Looked on Steam forum - for anyone else who wanted to know - this is all cosmetic - new parts and a new style of ships (assuming this is the base style you can pick for your race). No actual gameplay mechanics. Great for those who like to play with the ship designer though. New style of ships might be nice for a little variety. Low on my personal priority list, but if it gets down to dirt cheap ($1 or less), I'll probably get it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I buy them because I like downloading new races from time to time and if the race used a feature available in DLC that I don't have, it will fail to load. I don't have the time or desire to create them myself though.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Are the new races you download really different or just someone's take on interesting race creation options with the ships they designed in the ship designer to go with their race? Like any radical reskin/flavor feel to something entirely different than the core game (like Star Trek or Star Wars mod or anything like that)?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Mostly just a skin with whatever traits make sense. I don't think tech trees are user-customizable, and the fundamental function of ships are the same among all races. It would be nice if there was a little more variety, maybe something like boarding and capture options so you could make a ship that is maxed out for speed, defense, and troop transport, and have them charge into the enemy fleet and capture their ships.
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v1.81 update is available today. This update focuses on UI and AI, along with various other fixes and improvements to the game. :)

Full changelog: http://forums.galciv3.com/478793/
Increased AI Aggression
Ai is more likely to engage you multiple times in a single turn.

New notification UI
We've updated notification system to make it more useful and informative. Notifications messages now appear as scrolling list on the left-hand side of the screen. Notifications can be filtered based on priority or disabled off in the game options menu.

Better load times
Starting a new game is significantly faster.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

New Lost Treasures DLC for Galactic Civilizations III is out today. :)

More details: http://forums.galciv3.com/478671/
New Colony Events
As you colonize planets, new colonization events will challenge your people and your integrity. Each new event provides new Ideology choices that may award unique planetary improvements and ship components. Some of these events appear later in the game, so keep your eyes open!

New Improvements
During your explorations, you will uncover new and unique planetary improvements that may function differently based on your Ideology choice. Choose wisely - you can only build one improvement of each type per empire!

New Ship Components
Discover dozens of new and powerful ship components like the "Ancient Singularity Cannon", "Subspace Splinter", and the "Hyper Gate Core". Your Ideology Choice may affect how these new components work on your ship. Work fast against your enemies - each of these ancient treasures is unique and you can only have one in a fleet at a time.
Enlarge Image
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I love that you guys are continuing to add interesting features to the game, and not just cosmetic DLC. Thanks IslandDog!
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Jeff V wrote:I love that you guys are continuing to add interesting features to the game, and not just cosmetic DLC. Thanks IslandDog!
Great to hear. :)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I need a clone.

This is in my queue to get back to after all these updates.

From Stellaris to XCOM2 right now. Probably come back to this next before Civ VI is released.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm still waiting for them to finish it. Meanwhile, I continue to play GalCiv2 every now and then.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Kraken wrote:I'm still waiting for them to finish it. Meanwhile, I continue to play GalCiv2 every now and then.
Well at some point they are moving it to a new game called GalCiv: Crusade. At least that was the talk over at Qt3 last March. So it must be sort of close to be done now.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Lee wrote:
Kraken wrote:I'm still waiting for them to finish it. Meanwhile, I continue to play GalCiv2 every now and then.
Well at some point they are moving it to a new game called GalCiv: Crusade. At least that was the talk over at Qt3 last March. So it must be sort of close to be done now.
The Crusade expansion is coming next year. This quote on July 21st is from mormegil (who I think is Paul Boyer the lead designer).
1.81 is in testing and should be announced shortly. We are also now Developing Crusade in Tandem, but will be continue to patch the base game pretty regularly until it's release next year. 
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Lee

Post by Lee »

Stand-alone expansion I guess it is then. I am really curious what is different about this one, but don't think they have actually said, have they?

I was disappointed with 3 when it came out, it didn't feel quite done, so I was waiting for them to finish it before I toot too far into it. I guess it is just about done at this point.
Last edited by Lee on Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

GCIII is still going to be updated and developed for quite a while.

There's not much I can say about Crusade at this point in time. :)
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v1.82 update is out today. :)

Full changelog: http://forums.galciv3.com/479195/
Overview

UI Stability improvements: We've increased the number of UI widgets by 4x. Extreme games (e.g large maps, hundreds of fleets, etc.) will now be more stable. We have also fixed numerous issues with the new notification system.

Gameplay: We've fixed a ship trading exploit and several gameplay bugs. In addition, we have made some treaties free for alliance members.

Rise of the Terrans DLC: Updated campaign to use a new United Earth "classic" ship style that better represents ships of that galactic era. As part of that change, you now can select United Terrans ship style for your custom races and choose from over twenty new "classic" ship parts for your ship designs.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Island Dog wrote:GCIII is still going to be updated and developed for quite a while.
Take your time. I'm in no hurry and GC2 is still a fine game. I'm not one to rush into things. :D
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The Altarian Prophecy DLC for Galactic Civilizations III is out today. :)

More info: http://forums.galciv3.com/479110/
New Campaign
Discover the story of the alliance between mankind and the Altarians! Spanning 3 missions, you must do whatever it takes to overcome the Dominion of the Korx and their mysterious masters, the Drath.

New Ship Styles
Customize your ships with classic ship styles! This DLC includes the Drath and Korx styles.

New Ship Parts
Explore dozens of classic ship parts and build some of your favorite Galactic Civilizations II ships.
Enlarge Image
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

How do I play this game so that I don't have to design ships? I hate designing ships.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:How do I play this game so that I don't have to design ships? I hate designing ships.
The only ship I designed in 20+ hours was an updated transport to carry 2 upgrades. It was pretty easy, and pretty necessary. Other than that, I ignored it.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lorini wrote:How do I play this game so that I don't have to design ships? I hate designing ships.
? I almost never design ships. Each race has a slate of pre-designed ships that cover most circumstances. I think I once designed a ship with double starbase modules, but that is not needed anymore. I don't see a need for double-transport modules; usually I attack with bio or electronic warfare.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I started a game and even though I have a military ship there's no design to build one. What am I doing wrong?
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lorini wrote:I started a game and even though I have a military ship there's no design to build one. What am I doing wrong?
You need to research techs that allow construction. Weapons tech will allow you to build tiny ships, Orbital manufacturing sets you on the path of bigger ships. My usual strategy is to try to get to Large Scale Manufacturing relatively quickly; and when at all possible choose techs that miniaturize components so more weapons fit. Pick a weapon category (beam, missile, kinetic) and stick with it -- you might trade for techs in the other two categories but don't waste your time on balance. By the end game you'll have ships with massive amounts of firepower. Tech that improves other things such as accuracy can be bartered for.

Once you have all of the requisite techs for a certain ship design, that design will appear on the left menu on your shipyard screen.

The designs automatically "level up" as your technology improves. You can pay to improve existing ships, but I rarely have the budget for that, it can be quite expensive and I'm usually running a deficit until late game. Often I'll use obsolete ships to pad trade deals. Sometimes the stock designs aren't exactly what you'd like -- then you might wish to tweak them in the designer. I'm mostly too lazy to do it, but I'd probably waste fewer ships if I, say, balance the defenses so the ships aren't overly vulnerable to a particular weapon type.
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

If you're new to the game there's a video tutorial for beginners that might be useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiMTibbm8lE
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jeff V wrote:
Lorini wrote:I started a game and even though I have a military ship there's no design to build one. What am I doing wrong?
You need to research techs that allow construction. Weapons tech will allow you to build tiny ships, Orbital manufacturing sets you on the path of bigger ships. My usual strategy is to try to get to Large Scale Manufacturing relatively quickly; and when at all possible choose techs that miniaturize components so more weapons fit. Pick a weapon category (beam, missile, kinetic) and stick with it -- you might trade for techs in the other two categories but don't waste your time on balance. By the end game you'll have ships with massive amounts of firepower. Tech that improves other things such as accuracy can be bartered for.

Once you have all of the requisite techs for a certain ship design, that design will appear on the left menu on your shipyard screen.

The designs automatically "level up" as your technology improves. You can pay to improve existing ships, but I rarely have the budget for that, it can be quite expensive and I'm usually running a deficit until late game. Often I'll use obsolete ships to pad trade deals. Sometimes the stock designs aren't exactly what you'd like -- then you might wish to tweak them in the designer. I'm mostly too lazy to do it, but I'd probably waste fewer ships if I, say, balance the defenses so the ships aren't overly vulnerable to a particular weapon type.
Thanks Jeff, I understand now. And thanks ID, I'll watch the videos.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Also, when you are hunting for anomalies, pay special attention to the "artifacts" -- maybe half the time they will grant you whatever you are currently researching. Before you actually move your survey ship onto it, look for the most expensive tech available (provided its one that you need) then move onto it. I do that with the canister things too (I forget what they are called) -- they give 25% toward the tech sometimes. You'll be able to make big leaps in a hurry, spend the time researching more, cheaper tech, which you can then trade to other races for their techs.
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

New dev journal from Brad is up today and he talks about some work that he's about to start on GalCiv III.

http://forums.galciv3.com/480723/
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The big v1.9 update for Galactic Civilizations III is now available! :)

Highlights of this update:
  • Capstone Techs: Research new techs in the Age of Ascension! These techs provide large (though temporary) empire-wide bonuses that stack as you get them
  • Performance Optimization: A newly enhanced multithreaded system dramatically improves load times and reduces memory usage.
  • A.I. and Balance: The AI has received a bit of a boost! You’ll notice that they are smarter about expanding, building fleets, and spreading influence, and more. Ready for the challenge?
  • Rich, Unique Galaxies: Performance optimizations have allowed the addition of more stars and planets, making galaxies feel even more vast than before.
Full changelog can be found here: http://forums.galciv3.com/480906/

Enlarge Image