Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Galactic Civilizations III Released!

All discussions regarding PC gaming.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis

jztemple2

Re: Galactic Civilizations III Released!

Post by jztemple2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:37 am

Well I'm not a happy camper. I got the bundle to get the few DLC I hadn't gotten before, plus I got the new DLC. I started a new game, played for an hour or so, no problem, and now I've had four crashes in thirty minutes. I've done the integrity check twice and each time it found corrupt files. I've posted on the Tech Support forum over on Steam, and I guess I'll be waiting for a patch.

Damn it all to hell, I have free time tomorrow and everything :grund:
"A plan is a list of things that go wrong. I like to keep my lists short. Just be ready." - Rico Rodriguez

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:21 am

Well, the "good" news is that I've been able to make the crash repeatable. It occurs every time the game tried to display my one and only shipyard. I've tried to work around a need to select it but it's too hard to play with that restriction. So I can start a new game and hope this is a one time problem, accepting that maybe I'll have the same thing happen, get a ways into the game and start having constant crashes. Or I can start playing something else.

:grund:
"A plan is a list of things that go wrong. I like to keep my lists short. Just be ready." - Rico Rodriguez

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:21 am

Aren't there some sand dunes you need to be driving over?
Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:07 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:21 am
Aren't there some sand dunes you need to be driving over?
I'm waiting for the bike physics update for Dakar 18, if that is what you mean.

Otherwise I'd have to say that where we go to the beach, the beach patrol frowns on people driving over the dunes :D

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:20 pm

jztemple2 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:21 am
Well, the "good" news is that I've been able to make the crash repeatable. It occurs every time the game tried to display my one and only shipyard. I've tried to work around a need to select it but it's too hard to play with that restriction. So I can start a new game and hope this is a one time problem, accepting that maybe I'll have the same thing happen, get a ways into the game and start having constant crashes. Or I can start playing something else.

:grund:
The devs got back to me and using a save game determined that the problem was a missing ship type that I probably screwed up when doing some custom fleet building. I've since uninstalled and deleted all the associated game folders then did a clean install. I'd start a new game but now I'm into CKII for a while :roll:

Island Dog

Post by Island Dog » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:57 am

Glad they were able to help. Hope you can jump back into it. :)

Island Dog

Post by Island Dog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:21 pm

Galactic Civilizations III v3.2 takes faction personality traits into account, improves game AI, and more.

More info and changelog: https://www.stardock.com/games/article/492219

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:00 pm

I'm trying to get back into GC3 after some time off and I have some questions about Galaxy Settings.

One area where I've always felt like I've made the wrong decisions is on the Galaxy Options. As you (might be able to) see, I've adjusted all settings to "Occasional". As an occasional (hah!) player, does this make sense, or am I making it a lot harder to get back into by doing this?

Another area is Victory Options. If I disable some of these options (as I would like to do) does the AI also ignore those options? Or does the AI always assume all victory options are valid?

My final question has to do with Tech Trading and this is more of a "what do people think?" kind of situation. I realize that trading tech gives a player more to give and ask for in negotiations, but I feel that sometimes it feels like I'm zipping through the tech tree since I manage to gull some sucker civ that likes me into giving me some tech that would take me a lot of effort to discover. So in the past I've usually turned off tech trading, but does this handicap the AI? Or perhaps me?

Thanks for any responses :D. Even though I've played all the GC games since it came to Windows, I still feel like I'm not really getting it all correct. Food, farming and cities still confuses me :roll:

Kraken

Post by Kraken » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:00 am

I turn off tech brokering but leave tech trading turned on. There's very little point to trading at all if you turn it off. In galaxy setup, I like to make habitable planets uncommon and extreme planets rare. On larger maps, it makes them more precious and helps avoid empires with too damned many colonies to manage.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:38 pm

I'm playing this again (with the latest add-ons but not yet the new patch). One very annoying thing that ought to be addressed is failure for one remaining civ to capitulate when all is clearly lost. It can take hours in a pointless exercise to subdue every last planet, and this is not fun at all.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:43 pm

Kraken wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:00 am
I turn off tech brokering but leave tech trading turned on. There's very little point to trading at all if you turn it off. In galaxy setup, I like to make habitable planets uncommon and extreme planets rare. On larger maps, it makes them more precious and helps avoid empires with too damned many colonies to manage.
Are you playing with the latest add-on? Some of the rare planetary resources now have use and accumulate in quantities. There are things you just can't do without certain resources. Also, starbases now can be improved as long as you have stocks of certain raw materials (such as promethium). They are no longer improved by sending more constructors. Playing with a low number of planets or limiting what you have to offer in exchange for these resources (limiting tech trading) would certainly be a handicap.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Jeff V wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:43 pm
Also, starbases now can be improved as long as you have stocks of certain raw materials (such as promethium).
These requirements have made the Market a godsend. I used to have to use diplomacy to check which empires had a certain material and whether they would trade it to me, now I can just keep some cash in reserve and buy what I need and sell off any large surpluses. It also helps to know the Market price of items when some other ruler comes calling to offer me some magic beans for my cow...

Come to think of it, a nice update for the game would be to display the latest Market price of commodities in the trade window. I find it annoying that when I am offered those magic beans, I have to turn down the trade to go to the Market screen to find the current price. I posted that request over on the Steam Gamplay Feedback discussion forum.

Kraken

Post by Kraken » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:51 pm

Jeff V wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:43 pm
Kraken wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:00 am
Are you playing with the latest add-on? Some of the rare planetary resources now have use and accumulate in quantities. There are things you just can't do without certain resources. Also, starbases now can be improved as long as you have stocks of certain raw materials (such as promethium). They are no longer improved by sending more constructors. Playing with a low number of planets or limiting what you have to offer in exchange for these resources (limiting tech trading) would certainly be a handicap.
Yes, I know all that. "Uncommon" still yields scores of habitable planets on an enormous (huge? I forget the size names) map, vs. hundreds if you make them common. I don't want to babysit 100 colonies once I start rampaging across the galaxy and AIs start surrendering.

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:58 pm

I think I only played on the humongous map once - I was a little annoyed that some of my enemies were so far away as to be unreachable. Eventually I was able to overcome, but it sure took a long time.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:04 pm

Jeff V wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:58 pm
I think I only played on the humongous map once - I was a little annoyed that some of my enemies were so far away as to be unreachable. Eventually I was able to overcome, but it sure took a long time.
I only played on a truly giant map back in the original GC1 days. I actually had to keep paper logs since I was supporting three or four theaters of war. I had to keep my production tied to the needs of each theater and be sure that the proper ships were being forwarded to the proper theater. This was back when I still had the energy to do that, now it sounds like a lot of work.

Mind you, I am thinking of ordering some RAM so I can play on the two or three biggest map sizes, just because :mrgreen:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:36 am

Question, is there somewhere in the game I can display a list of the types of ships I currently have and the number of each? I'm trying to tweak a design I've been using and want to know how many of that ship it will affect if I implement it. Thanks!

Brad Wardell

Post by Brad Wardell » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:54 pm

Been working on AI stuff over the holidays (that's my vacation treat). Hopefully we'll be able to get some of these improvements out in v3.3 early next year. A lot of it is in the area of the AI using starbases better than it currently does.

-Brad (designer)
Brad Wardell - Stardock
Sins of a Solar Empire - http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com
Galactic Civilizations - http://www.galciv.com
Star Control - http://www.starcontrol.com