State of Decay

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

State of Decay

Post by tgb »

The PC version is supposed to be released today, and the only question holding me back is whether or not it allows saving anywhere.

Does it?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Tokek

Re: State of Decay

Post by Tokek »

tgb wrote:The PC version is supposed to be released today, and the only question holding me back is whether or not it allows saving anywhere.

Does it?
Kind of. This game has auto save, which you can trigger by going to the menu, so technically you can save anywhere except when you're in the middle of a mission. However, this game doesn't allow you to do manual saves or reloads and if one of your guys get killed then it's perma-death, no do over unless you start a new game.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Is it out? The only option I'm seeing on steam is for the early access version.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Cortilian wrote:Is it out? The only option I'm seeing on steam is for the early access version.
They've said official release should be today, but I'm not sure if it's been updated for that yet.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have this on 360 but haven't played it in months.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

It's out now. Anyone know if it's got the same problems as the xbox version with clipping and lack of cutscene skipping?
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I absolutely love this game. I'm playing it on the 360, just now for the first time (I missed it when it came out this summer). It's a budget title and it shows in parts, but the whole is worth far more than the sum of the parts (or however it goes). What a great game. Perma-death really ups the enjoyment factor, though I admit to being annoyed by losing my first guy.

The mechanic of the game moving forward when I'm not playing is....weird. Is this still the case on the PC version? I assume it is. Think Animal Crossing with zombies.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Inverarity wrote:Think Animal Crossing with zombies.
I am not paying another goddamn penny to that slumlord Tom Nook, if that's what you're implying.
ibdoomed

Post by ibdoomed »

Inverarity wrote:The mechanic of the game moving forward when I'm not playing is....weird. Is this still the case on the PC version? I assume it is. Think Animal Crossing with zombies.
Wow, I remember loving AC in like 2002(?). I don't remember the game much but now I'm very curious about this.
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

It's interesting, the game essentially changes when you fire it back up. I think I read somewhere that if things are going well when you quit, things continue to go well. If things are going poorly when you exit, things continue to spiral out of control, a bit like momentum. There's nothing too drastic that happens, but I'm still not sure I like the mechanic. It's unique, though, and it might grow on me. I wish there was an option to disable this feature while I'm on an extended trip, like I will be for five days beginning on Wednesday.

What I do love is that this game really manages to portray the feeling of putting yourself in a bad situation. More so than any other zombie or horror game I've played (like Dead Island, for example). Does that make sense? It feels like a zombie movie. Everything is going along okay - you've been here before, you know what you're doing - and then all of a sudden you're surrounded, your stamina is out and you're dead. It doesn't happen often, but it happens enough that I have yet to feel safe around a group of zombies. One zombie is easy, two are manageable, but run into a group and you're in big trouble.

Other thoughts:

Character skills and how they get developed are not obvious, and as a result, end up quite fun the first time you "feel" the difference between an experienced character and a rookie.

Scavenging is actually useful. I think the search option is a little slow, but overall, I finally don't mind sorting through a box in the living room to get some medicine.

The world feels huge and so much is going on. Add in the changes that happen in between play sessions and there's no way I'm not replaying this game. I never replay, but I will on this. There are so many variables at work I'm sure it will play differently next time.
Tokek

Post by Tokek »

Inverarity wrote:It's interesting, the game essentially changes when you fire it back up. I think I read somewhere that if things are going well when you quit, things continue to go well. If things are going poorly when you exit, things continue to spiral out of control, a bit like momentum. There's nothing too drastic that happens, but I'm still not sure I like the mechanic. It's unique, though, and it might grow on me. I wish there was an option to disable this feature while I'm on an extended trip, like I will be for five days beginning on Wednesday.

What I do love is that this game really manages to portray the feeling of putting yourself in a bad situation. More so than any other zombie or horror game I've played (like Dead Island, for example). Does that make sense? It feels like a zombie movie. Everything is going along okay - you've been here before, you know what you're doing - and then all of a sudden you're surrounded, your stamina is out and you're dead. It doesn't happen often, but it happens enough that I have yet to feel safe around a group of zombies. One zombie is easy, two are manageable, but run into a group and you're in big trouble.

Other thoughts:

Character skills and how they get developed are not obvious, and as a result, end up quite fun the first time you "feel" the difference between an experienced character and a rookie.

Scavenging is actually useful. I think the search option is a little slow, but overall, I finally don't mind sorting through a box in the living room to get some medicine.

The world feels huge and so much is going on. Add in the changes that happen in between play sessions and there's no way I'm not replaying this game. I never replay, but I will on this. There are so many variables at work I'm sure it will play differently next time.
The major changes when you log out seems to only happen in the 1st 24 hours, after that they're very minor changes. Their blog did indicate such, so the changes between 2 days offline vs 30 days offline is minimal and no character will die while you're offline.

Some of the skills are obvious, like Fighting and Shooting.
Cardio can be raised by sprinting a lot, fairly easy to raise if you don't take cars that much.
Wits affect your searching speed and noise, the only way to raise it is to search a lot, very hard to raise unless you dedicate 1 or 2 person(s) as the initial searcher. Once it's searched, anyone can check and grab items.
Leadership can be raised by bringing along another person when you go out scavenging or doing side missions. Not quite sure what it affects.
Powerhouse is a heavy weapon related skill, not sure how exactly to raise it though but if your guy has the powerhouse trait, make sure he/she is using heavy weapons.
Reflex will give you an option to counter attack, not sure how to raise that one either.

Make sure you check your character's page (the star icon on your journal book) when a skill hits 4th level, it usually gives you options to specialize in or different attack move.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Finally decided to really give this a shot today. OMFG I love love love it. This is exactly the zombie game I've been waiting for. I can't believe how freaking big the map is it's insane. I lost my first survivor in spectacular fashion. I was driving to rescue someone and tried to swerve my car around a zombie horde. I didn't see the gigantic ditch and flipped the truck over getting ejected in the process. The horde then descended on me and I had little chance of surviving. Got ripped in half! :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Oh man, I'm so tempted. I've got a huge backlog and have been eyeing this one since it hit steam. First I waited for it to be fully released, now I'm waiting for it to hit my target sub $10 price. But it's getting harder to resist!!!
Now Playing:
XCOM, Huge backlog in the wings thanks a lot Steam!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

From the 3 hours I've played it's a steal at 20 bucks. There's tons of replay value as tons of stuff is randomized such as the survivors. Yes I'm not helping.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

ScaryMike

Post by ScaryMike »

When is it safe to quit? I don't understand the save mechanic.
Tokek

Post by Tokek »

ScaryMike wrote:When is it safe to quit? I don't understand the save mechanic.
You can technically quit at any time, the game autosaves when you go to the menu (unless you're in the middle of a mission). Though I'd try to make sure that you're in a safe spot and not in the middle of a mission and got enough supplies in the base.

I once logged off while my guy was on top of the cell tower with zeds swarming the base of the tower and I came back with my guy back at base camp safe and sound.

From what I understand of the "offline mode" is that if your camp has enough supplies, it will not run out. However, if your camp is low on supplies and doesn't have enough facilities (beds, infirmary, etc), you may come back with hungry or sick people but no one would die while you're offline.
Last edited by Tokek on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My first play through is just to get a feel of the game so I just quit whenever I feel like it. Hasn't seemed to matter so far. I'm curious to know if the story missions are random or if they happen the same each time. Guess everything can't be random. Oh and the screamers omg the screamers.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

First expansion is coming Black Friday:
Our first expansion comes largely from you and your dreams. Less story, more survival. Long-term survival. More difficulty. New achievements, survivors, and weapons. We hope you have as much fun with it as we have.
$6.99 for Xboxen and PC.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

This game is digital crack. I can't stop playing. They just keep tossing stuff at you nonstop. Kind of wish they would give you a breather sometimes, but that's a minor complaint. I'll be grabbing the DLC as soon as it's released. These people deserve every cent of what they are asking for. If I had paid 60 bucks for the game I don't think I would be upset.

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

This one is on my short list of "WANT" but I've got a backlog already and it'll probably get scooped up in a Christmas sale and not touched until February at the rate I'm going.

I like everything I'm hearing about it and look forward to playing.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The thing that I like so much is that they don't abstract a lot of things. If you ask for help to pickup supplies you found, a character actually runs out to the site to get it. If the area is full of zombies you can pretty much bet that you will get an alert to help them out. Just that little thing is so cool to me. Or hearing gunshots in the distance from your home base as they shoot at zombies approaching. It's not just filler sound. From what I read the DLC isn't focused around canned missions and more on making more random sandbox stuff. I think that's brilliant as that's totally the best part of the game.

redman55

Post by redman55 »

Its great. On the strength of this thread I ordered it, and made the mistake of letting the wife take it for a spin. She won't give me back the computer.
Thanks again guys.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Are the mouse/keyboard controls all fixed up and functional on this now, or is a controller still essential?
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Are the mouse/keyboard controls all fixed up and functional on this now, or is a controller still essential?
The mouse/keyboard works great now. Only catch is you still can't edit key bindings in game, but that's supposed to be added with the next patch.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Yup that's in the release that's coming out next week. I use a controller myself so I can't comment on how well it works. I can't stand keyboard and mouse for games like this.

tgb

Post by tgb »

Even though I said I was going to wait for a sale, I caved and got it last night. I'm really enjoying this a lot, and it's the first "open world" game that really fits into my wheelhouse.

One question- is there any way to issue orders to A.I. companions? Too many times I'm sneaking past a horde when one of the other nitwits in the group decides to break cover and attack with a chair leg or something.

Also, I see that stamina replenishes over time, but not health. Is that WAD?

(OK, that's two questions).

I'm pretty frustrated that characters only have 6 inventory slots. Does that increase when you find bigger backpacks?

(all right, all right three. No mas)
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

tgb wrote:One question- is there any way to issue orders to A.I. companions? Too many times I'm sneaking past a horde when one of the other nitwits in the group decides to break cover and attack with a chair leg or something.
Nope.
Yup.
I'm pretty frustrated that characters only have 6 inventory slots. Does that increase when you find bigger backpacks?
Marginally.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Bought this on the Steam sale today. I played a little, can't wait to play more.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

tgb wrote:Even though I said I was going to wait for a sale, I caved and got it last night. I'm really enjoying this a lot, and it's the first "open world" game that really fits into my wheelhouse.

One question- is there any way to issue orders to A.I. companions? Too many times I'm sneaking past a horde when one of the other nitwits in the group decides to break cover and attack with a chair leg or something.

(OK, that's two questions).

(all right, all right three. No mas)
If you are sneaking they sneak too. Once you stand up though all bets are off. :mrgreen: Hasn't been much of a problem for me. And ya you can get a larger backpack but it doesn't help much. Don't forget that you can radio in other people to pick stuff up. I use it all the time. :mrgreen:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

DLC might be delayed...
There are a couple bugs floating around that are actually the same thing. You hit it more if you've got Breakdown, but it's affecting the live game as well. We have been working on it all day, and we do have a fix.

The problem is there's a bit of Steam stuff we have to add to a build before we can push it live. That stuff appears to have changed very recently, and we don't have the right...stuff. Sorry to be so vague, but I'm not very technical, and all I feel comfortable saying is that it's something Steam requires before we can put anything up on their store.

Normally, this kind of problem would be a single phone call and done. However, today is a national holiday, and it's not quite that simple.

I do apologize for the frustration and the genuinely terrible timing. We aren't giving up and we still have some things to try.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well that blows.

MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

*edited because I can be very stupid sometimes*
Last edited by MythicalMino on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573
tgb

Post by tgb »

And later..............
Looks like we're not going to have to delay anything. Not sure when the patch will go, waiting on one more test.

But get those crisis-averted memes ready.
I can wait before getting the expansion. So far I've only made it to the church before restarting, either because I did something stupid (note to self: do not wander into the middle of a herd at night armed with only a wrench), or I'm grokking some of the mechanics more.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's available. Downloading it now. Not like I was hitting refresh or anything. I hated the story portions so I think this sandbox mode should be perfect for me. :horse:

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

This is on sale for $10 today!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

This game is a steal for $10. As long as you like zombies and open world action games you won't be sorry.

And thanks for the heads up about the DLC... I've been holding off another playthrough until it came out, but I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend. :)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Agh.. I had almost avoided buying this, but with y'all so positive about it, I'll probably break down and get it. Hey.. at least my resolve doesn't crack any decent sale.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Baroquen wrote:Agh.. I had almost avoided buying this, but with y'all so positive about it, I'll probably break down and get it. Hey.. at least my resolve doesn't crack any decent sale.
+1, i am not big on zombies but liked Dead Island well enough. And i like open world games. I was going to wait for Christmas sale, but considering all the positive feed back and me likely to have time this December, i decided to go with it.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I just wanted to say that I HATED Dead Island, and like State of Decay a lot. It's not perfect, but it gets a lot right.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Same here. I hated Dead Island.