RimWorld (New DF-like)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Unagi

Re: RimWorld (New DF-like)

Post by Unagi »

With DF, I could never quite get past the UI (I could accept the graphics), but I SOOooo wanted to master that UI and game... I kept trying and would just always quit from fatigue from the UI. Rimworld is the accessibleDF. (yet, as stated, smaller in population and scope currently).

Just some of the situations and scrapes you find your colony in, and the way you can work things out and press-on, etc. At least for me, I just get such a kick out of the game.

(I'll admit though, I don't really enjoy the Mechanoids....)
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

The LNP pack for DF has some good UI mods. I've especially enjoyed Dwarf Therapist which lets you set your workers up in a graph like interface.

How far along is Rimworld? It sounds intriguing.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

My colony has lasted another month, but things are still dicey. Inexplicably the toxic haze continues and, despite being well below freezing, the animals that died from it are starting to rot. I managed to gather 2 or 3 warthogs before they started rotting, and my hunters managed to down a couple of alpha beavers who showed up for a meal at the wrong time, but we've still got a number of months to go until we can start planting.

I did manage to buy some agave off a passing ship, but no ships have passed by recently that are interested in my colonists hand crafted art, so my money supplies are dwindling. One possible new hope is my best researcher who I've assigned to studying hydroponics. He's about halfway done and if I can start growing some indoor crops soon that might be enough to see me through the winter. To that end my miners have already hollowed out a large room and prepared it to become my garden.

This of course all hinges on defeating the latest siege attack that is currently underway. This time I have a mortar of my own, however it turns out they are much less accurate than the last time I played, and I only have 6 shells currently, so it looks like my poor colonists are going to have to assault the pirates again to drive them away. The good news at least is my colonists are much better equipped now than they used to be. My best shot has an assault rifle, another of my crack shots has a submachinegun, while 3 other colonists have hunting rifles, and everyone has an armored vest (sadly no powered armor yet). The enemy has mostly rifles, but I think the firepower I can put down with the AR and SMG will be enough to turn the tides.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

If your map supports this (forest), and you still have that (great) mod installed.... I got lucky selling mulch.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

This is my sort of game but I've become so lame, I'd rather just hear about it. :(

Do some gameplay reporting. Include images. You non-lame OOs.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
JonathanStrange

Unagi wrote:With DF, I could never quite get past the UI (I could accept the graphics), but I SOOooo wanted to master that UI and game... I kept trying and would just always quit from fatigue from the UI. Rimworld is the accessibleDF. (yet, as stated, smaller in population and scope currently).

Just some of the situations and scrapes you find your colony in, and the way you can work things out and press-on, etc. At least for me, I just get such a kick out of the game.

(I'll admit though, I don't really enjoy the Mechanoids....)
Every time i left DF, I forgot close to everything. I'd relearn and then get distracted again.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Good news everyone! The colony has been saved by a warg attack!

But I'm getting ahead of myself. When last we left our heroes they were preparing to assault a pirate siege camp that was under construction near the base.

Here's the pirate's mostly completed camp with my stalwart colonists gathering to assault in the upper right. You can also see the one casualty in the bottom left my base's mortar caused during it's shelling.
Enlarge Image

The 3 colonists with rifles I lined up north of the enemy camp out of range of all but their rifles, and moved my assault rifle wielding former pirate assassin into some cover to start the assault. Once the enemy was engaged to ran another of my colonists with EMP grenades down to start lobbing them at the firing line the pirates had setup and after losing a few pirates to small arms fire the grenades were too much for them and the 3 survivors broke and ran.
Enlarge Image

No deaths among the colonists and only minimal damage done, plus I was able to get quite a bit of food from the pirates camp as well as 8 artillery shells for my mortar.

With the pirates dealt with I continued with getting the room ready for indoor growing and also feeding my new organ vats with pirate corpses to create biomatter that I'll be able to use to repair some old injuries among my colonists, and grow organs for sale and use should any of them get severely wounded.

It was around this point that my colonists heard the ear piercing howls of a warg pack and only had a few minutes to get into position before a hunting pack of wargs came out of the still lingering toxic mist to assault the colony. There were 10 of them and Wargs are large and tough so, despite having 2 miniguns and a shotgun turret on my defensive line a few wargs were able to get through and do some damage to my colonists, but most of the damage was done by stray shots from my defensive turrets as the wargs got close (mental note: need to close the back of my bunker and put a heavy door on it :P).
Enlarge Image

Despite a few injured colonists the warg attack was actually quite a blessing as once my colonists were healed up they could butcher the wargs which gave them a large influx of close to 600 meat. With the nutrient synthesizer cutting back usage and the indoor garden getting closer to coming on line that should be enough to keep the colony alive through the end of winter, although there are still a number of months to go before the outdoor growing season.

After the warg attack another lucky break for the colony... the toxic cloud has finally lifted and animals started coming back into the area. I've seen at least one Elk herd so far which should give my hunters plenty to do and should be plenty of meat to keep the colony going.

That's about it for last night. Here's a final shot of roughly where my main compound stands:
Enlarge Image
JonathanStrange

Thank you, Sepiche, for the continuing story. I almost feel like playing myself. If I were still a gamer, I'd be all over this like a megabeast on a wounded dwarf peasant.

Books Read 2013
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Sep,

How easy is it to switch from using mods to not using mods? I want to install those mods, but I do not know if I am good enough at the base game yet to actually succeed with them!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

baelthazar wrote:Sep,

How easy is it to switch from using mods to not using mods? I want to install those mods, but I do not know if I am good enough at the base game yet to actually succeed with them!
It's not hard at all to turn on and off mods. There's basically a mod folder in the game directory where you put the mod files and then once you load the game there's a mod menu where you can turn on and off mods individually.

The superior crafting mod makes so many sweeping changes I suspect it would cause problems if you turned it on and off and tried to load the same save, but as long as you make a fresh start if you want to switch back it should be fine.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I will again ask for some guides or something, as I've started four colonies and the main characters have all gotten infections and died. I'm left with just two characters (after one joined) and there's too much to do for one character. So help please!!!

Thanks.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Lorini wrote:I will again ask for some guides or something, as I've started four colonies and the main characters have all gotten infections and died. I'm left with just two characters (after one joined) and there's too much to do for one character. So help please!!!

Thanks.
Guide

But here's some advice.

When selecting your starting party, make sure each of them don't have any prohibited activities.
Give your best shooter the gun.
2nd best pistol
Other guy blade.

Use the overview screen and take it off automatic job assignment.

For whatever reason, when stuff crashes, it's prohibited. (I guess so they don't go running out after it later in the game). Highlight it all and hit F to make it available.

Plant a 5x5 corn and 5x5 rice at the start. Chop some wood and build a bunk house (you can add extra medical beds). Add a stockpile. Add power. Don't do too many batteries at once and keep them away from your solar collectors/wind turbine. Build a turret or two. When the pirates attack defend from behind the turret.

Make a dining hall.

When that's done, add a prisoner area. Small house, change the bed to prisoners. (later you'll make a new one and add a nutrient paste machine for them to feed themselves).

Add a Xergium field and a cotton field It makes medicine and cotton respectively.

Then gear up research and contruction. One of the early research deals allows you to turn stone into blocks. That and geothermal are two of the most important to me.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

THANKS!!!! (sends Noxious Dog kisses).
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

For the second time, my cook would prefer to meditate/pray than cook. This means no cooked food. Help please :).
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Lorini wrote:For the second time, my cook would prefer to meditate/pray than cook. This means no cooked food. Help please :).
You shouldn't have to cook super early. There will be plenty of food packets dropped with the ship. Just make sure they are available to pick up (no x on them).

Craftsman tables (including cooking) don't operate by default. You have to click on them and then choose "bills" and order up some stuff.

Any joy building activities (meditate, walk, cloud gazing, horseshoes, etc) should be brief.

Maybe your cook refuses to do any of that kind of labor? There are traits that prevent them from some jobs (lazy, scared, etc).
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

yeah I set up the cook stove, added the bill cook simple meals to 10 meals, the cook has skill in cooking. I didn't allow any of the slowpoke/lazy/etc people in the colony. One joined but I let her die. I really need two cooks most likely but none of the other three colonists have much or any skill in cooking.

Edit: those starting meals are long gone.
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lorini wrote:yeah I set up the cook stove, added the bill cook simple meals to 10 meals, the cook has skill in cooking. I didn't allow any of the slowpoke/lazy/etc people in the colony. One joined but I let her die. I really need two cooks most likely but none of the other three colonists have much or any skill in cooking.

Set up a nutrient dispenser. They do not win any awards in the "making people happy" department, but they do keep people alive. Be sure to outfit it with hoppers for the food.

EDIT: Or are you using the expanded tech tree mod? If so, disregard. But I found that I am not good enough at the base game to play the expanded tech tree mod yet.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lorini wrote:yeah I set up the cook stove, added the bill cook simple meals to 10 meals, the cook has skill in cooking. I didn't allow any of the slowpoke/lazy/etc people in the colony. One joined but I let her die. I really need two cooks most likely but none of the other three colonists have much or any skill in cooking.

Dumb question, but do you have any raw materials to make meals out of? IIRC it takes 10 units of the same food to make a simple meal. Depending on your starting environment you can harvest berries or hunt to supplement your initial food until you can grow more.

As ND mentioned most joy activities should be brief, so as long as everything else is setup correctly the only other thing I can think of is there's no food to make meals out of.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Here is a short video of what's happening, you can see all the potatoes in the corner.
https://youtu.be/-jZ4OfZ9exM
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lorini wrote:Here is a short video of what's happening, you can see all the potatoes in the corner.
https://youtu.be/-jZ4OfZ9exM
Hmmm... I think it might be a power issue.

It's hard to tell from watching the video, but I note that right at the start he successfully cooks a meal, then goes to bed. When he does that there's still a sliver of power in the right most battery, but in the morning once he's done with his first round of relaxation the battery is drained, and as near as I can tell those upper batteries aren't connected to the grid. If you click on the stove it should show you how much reserve power is available in the grid it's connected to, and if that shows zero that's probably it.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Nope, I fixed the power, it's now got plenty of power.

Here is a set of pics if they might help

http://imgur.com/a/hKqug
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Turns out the cook has dementia, so that's that. Starting over....
Black Lives Matter
JonathanStrange

I hate when that happens!

Books Read 2013
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lorini wrote:Turns out the cook has dementia, so that's that. Starting over....
As they say in Dwarf Fortress, you just encountered FUN!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yeah, I've learned the hard way you have to watch those old people. :P

Bad backs, frailty, and especially dementia can make a seemingly useful colonist nearly worthless. I don't think you can repair that at all in the basic game, but in superior crafting you can at least give them a bionic spine or positronic brain with enough work.
JonathanStrange

Could this game handle more characters? I love the stories and the atmosphere, but could the game have more Unnamed extras with your name guys in charge? Or would that violate the spirit of the game. It seems that you're vulnerable to losing the entire game if even one or two guys go south. Doesn't that mean "oh, no, gotta restart ' cause the cook or mechanic got sick"? Just askin'

Books Read 2013
Lee

Post by Lee »

JonathanStrange wrote:Could this game handle more characters? I love the stories and the atmosphere, but could the game have more Unnamed extras with your name guys in charge? Or would that violate the spirit of the game. It seems that you're vulnerable to losing the entire game if even one or two guys go south. Doesn't that mean "oh, no, gotta restart ' cause the cook or mechanic got sick"? Just askin'
I have never done it, but I have seen games on YouTube where people seem to have about a dozen guys in their camp. So you can get to a point where you can lose a guy or two and not lose the game, at least if you are good. I am not.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yeah, it could handle more guys theoretically, although I think the engine would start to have issues if you have too many colonists.

The AI storytellers are actually what throttle how fast you grow and how many colonists you have... as it thinks you need more people it will have events pop up that can give you colonists or have more enemies get knocked out in battle. Capturing and converting those enemies is a key part of growing your colony.

Early on you are much more vulnerable to disease and catastrophe, but my colony is probably a little more robust than it looks. Even a colonist badly injured in battle will recover pretty swiftly with only a little medical aid. The main risk in battle is debilitating injuries (mostly headshots) or not patching someone up in time and getting an infection. I've gotten to the point where I don't need cooks and, while it's nice to have characters who are experts in their field, you can largely get by with characters with lower skill... they're generally just much slower at doing tasks.

I have images for a few more updates ready to go... just need the time to get them all together and post them, but I've started producing bionic limbs and have gotten a couple of my old timers bionic spines that have made them much more useful.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

you can definitely go much higher. There's a reddit thread dedicated to it. One guy has 60.
Black Lives Matter

Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Unagi wrote:I just LOVE this game. I can't believe how few people here seem to be bighting at it.
I bought into this game a long while ago (sometime in early 2014). I played with it enough to think it's fun, and have put it aside to let him work on it while I do other things.

As an aside, someone else told me they encountered (read "killed") me when a party including "Hrdina" attacked his settlement. :D

I'm taking the opposite approach that I took with KSP, where I played that game endlessly before it was released but haven't gotten back to it now that it is "done".
Conform or be cast out!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I dunno, I'm not that enamored of it. It's too fiddly, I have to keep re-rolling and re-rolling to get even a decent starting group, and then even if I do get a decent threesome, then I have to make sure they don't all have dementia and cataracts and frailty. It just seems like a lot to do for not much (for me) return. I get that all of these traits make for interesting stories, but they aren't doing much to make the game entertaining. I'd rather mess around with a far simpler but cleaner game, Craft the World than this one. I'm working on learning Gnormoria, which seems more like what I'm looking for.
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Lorini wrote:I dunno, I'm not that enamored of it. It's too fiddly, I have to keep re-rolling and re-rolling to get even a decent starting group, and then even if I do get a decent threesome, then I have to make sure they don't all have dementia and cataracts and frailty. It just seems like a lot to do for not much (for me) return. I get that all of these traits make for interesting stories, but they aren't doing much to make the game entertaining. I'd rather mess around with a far simpler but cleaner game, Craft the World than this one. I'm working on learning Gnormoria, which seems more like what I'm looking for.
There is a "plan carefully" mod that will enable you to pick your starting people by hand.
Black Lives Matter

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

noxiousdog wrote:
Lorini wrote:I dunno, I'm not that enamored of it. It's too fiddly, I have to keep re-rolling and re-rolling to get even a decent starting group, and then even if I do get a decent threesome, then I have to make sure they don't all have dementia and cataracts and frailty. It just seems like a lot to do for not much (for me) return. I get that all of these traits make for interesting stories, but they aren't doing much to make the game entertaining. I'd rather mess around with a far simpler but cleaner game, Craft the World than this one. I'm working on learning Gnormoria, which seems more like what I'm looking for.
There is a "plan carefully" mod that will enable you to pick your starting people by hand.
Yeah I downloaded it, but I need a prepackaged version....trying to allocate all of those points properly would take longer than playing the game :).
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

After many months a huge new patch is out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAOZrfu7n3Q
Permadeath
New permadeath mode. One save file, save on quit or autosave only, no take-backsies when something goes horribly, insanely, or laughably wrong. The way RimWorld was meant to be played.

Relationships
Colonist family and social relationship system / Social relationships with friends, rivals, family, chats, arguments, and fights
Opinion system; pawns care about dozens of memories and situations to determine their opinions of each other
Family members out to cousins and beyond
Lovers, fiancees, marriages, ex-lovers, ex-spouses

Lovin’
People may get in social fights with those they dislike (even neutrals and enemies do this)
Animal bonding
People who leave the map while traveling, fleeing, being kidnapped, etc. can come back later as raiders, visitors, joiners, etc.
Marriage ceremonies and parties

Prison breaks
Prison breaks. Prisoners pick the locks, get out, seek weapons and work as a group to escape.

Infestations
Self-reproducing, spreading underground insect hives
Insect hives are dangerous but produce succulent insect jelly

Animals and predators
Many more animals, some of which will hunt people
Some animals are now predators, including colony pets (e.g. cats catch squirrels)
Animals can gnaw corpses apart directly now

Threat response mode
Decide how colonists should auto-respond to threats: flee, attack, or ignore?

Economy
‘Components’ resource used for machinery and electronics
Ground-traveling trade caravans from other factions
Deeper research tree with more low-tech options and more things to research
New fueled buildings: stove and generator
Various new lower and higher-tech production buildings
Two research tables: simple and hi-tech. Hi-tech is required for some projects.

Misc
New exotic infections: Gut worms, mechanite infections which give abilities at a cost of pain or fatigue, trauma savantism
New chronic diseases: Carcinoma, asthma, hearing loss
New “firefoam popper” provides a way to combat fire besides punching it.
Character records which keep stats on each character like number of kills, injuries, surgeries, etc.
Extreme desert biome
Colonists in relationships can share beds
New double bed; royal bed is now gold-trimmed and fancy
New flatscreen and megascreen TVs
Colonists can now visit sick people in bed to cheer them up
Sick people in bed can now watch TV
Building damage overlays
Days are now twice as long as before, with years being half as many days. (This means that years are exactly as long as before in actual play time, just divided into a smaller number of longer days.)
The year is now split into seasons instead of months.
Animal kibble
Deep rooms stay cool in the heat
Richer tale recording and better art descriptions
Hundreds of balance improvements, optimizations, tweaks and fixes
I believe this is intended to be the last big patch before he submits the game to Steam.
Last edited by Sepiche on Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Let us know what you think of the patch, Sepiche.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Update seems fun so far. Not a completely different feel, but they've incorporated a lot of good changes from some of the Rimworld mods, made the progression process a lot smoother, and added a nice layer of detail with the social interaction stuff along with lots and lots of new content like encounters, research, weapons, etc.

As an example from my current colony: two of my original settlers were lovers when they landed and have since gotten engaged and married (complete with wedding party). The other colonist is a really nice guy, but he happens to be gay, and since the other male settler is beautiful, he hits on him all the time which (especially since the wedding) has put a strain on everyone's relationship. If he just weren't such a good guy it might actually be a problem.

I also just ran into the new infestation encounter. If you dig into mountains to build your colony there's a chance now of large insects burrowing into your colony and setting up a nest, and they are pretty tough... at least for an early colony to deal with. I got lucky in that a local trade caravan had come by, so when the infestation happened I lured them outside and let my autoturrets and the visitors deal with them. In the future it might actually be necessary to put some turrets inside my base to try and help deal with possible infestations.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New update is being released and Rimworld will officially be on Steam in another couple hours.

Biggest feature in the new update is a scenario editor. Previously all games featured you controlling 3 crash survivors, but now you can customize how many people you start with, what gear they start with, any effects they start with, etc. He also integrated a couple of good UI mods that had been released by players.

Anyone that already has Rimworld *should* be able to get their Steam key through this link once it's officially out on Steam:
http://rimworldgame.com/getmygame/
Lee

Post by Lee »

Thanks for the link. I have seen Tynan imply that previous purchasers would get a Steam key, he just can't say it. Nor did he say how the process would work. Have you seen something official saying to use that link for a key? I assumed they would send the key with the regular email they send out to notify of a new version.

Really great game, I hope it gets more attention now that it's on Steam. Although, I am not sure if it's even close to done.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lee wrote:Thanks for the link. I have seen Tynan imply that previous purchasers would get a Steam key, he just can't say it. Nor did he say how the process would work. Have you seen something official saying to use that link for a key? I assumed they would send the key with the regular email they send out to notify of a new version.

Really great game, I hope it gets more attention now that it's on Steam. Although, I am not sure if it's even close to done.
Tynan has to be a little cagey about it because, as you said, he can't promise Steam keys to existing users, but moderators and testers on the Ludeon forums have been hinting you'll be able to get a Steam key from that link once it's out on Steam. I'm guessing he will also send out emails to everyone, but there's been no official announcement to confirm that.

Here's the relevant thread:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=21385.15
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Despite Steam having issues as it was about to publish, Rimworld is now on Steam!

I just hit that page I linked to on the Rimworld site, and there's now a link to get your Steam key. FYI... the first time I tried it took me to the Steam site to log in, but when I clicked the link to go back to the Rimworld site, it threw a 404 error on me. On the second try a few seconds later it worked, but just be aware it might take a couple of tries if the load on their servers gets too high.

Full patch notes:
Spoiler:
Scenario system
-New scenario system allows you to choose, randomize, and customize special situations to play in. Determine starting situation, your type of community (tribe, colony), permanent map conditions, starting items, animals, health conditions, and traits, and change special rules.
-Several built-in scenarios, including one matching the classic RimWorld experience, are included.
-You can randomize new scenarios.
-You can customize scenarios with a special interface that allows creation of any scenario you like.
-Scenarios can be uploaded to or grabbed from Steam Workshop with a single click.
-ScenPart: Permanent version of all map conditions (eclipse, solar flare, etc).
-ScenPart: Planetkiller scenario part: World is destroyed on X date.
-ScenPart: Climate cycle which makes the world get warmer and cooler over a period of years. Winter is coming.
-ScenPart: Disable building a given type of building.
-ScenPart: Pawns start with health condition.
-ScenPart: Start with items.
-ScenPart: Map is scattered with items.
-ScenPart: Configure arrival method (pods or standing)
-ScenPart: Starting pawns are all between ages X and Y
-ScenPart: Pawns explode on death (configurable type and radius)
-ScenPart: All pawns from source (game start/all) have trait X
-ScenPart: Starting animal(s)
-ScenPart: Disallow mining
-ScenPart: Disallow hunting
-ScenPart: Disallow taming
-ScenPart: Disallow growing
-ScenPart: Disable incident
-ScenPart: Multiplier for any stat on the game (move speed, mining speed, etc)
-ScenPart: Disallow building
Pawn overlapping
-Pawns can no longer overlap during melee combat (unless they’re really small). No more animal deathstacks! This also creates new tactics around blocking, surrounding, or back-line shooters. We had to write a bunch of AI and blocking code to make this function.
AI
-Raiders can now enter “steal” mode if they see enough value. They’ll grab your stuff and carry it off.
-Kidnapping raiders now work together much better to kidnap. Instead of everyone fleeing at once, some will kidnap while others cover them.
-AI dressing algorithm is now better at making outfits to withstand cold temperatures. If there is no way to make a survivable outfit, pawns won’t arrive at all. No more raids arriving and keeling over in -60C weather.
-Predators no longer hunt boomrats and boomalopes.
-Pawns will be smarter about avoiding traps in various situations.
New stuff
-Full Steam Workshop support for mods.
-You can now play as a tribe in some scenarios.
-Added torch lamp
-Added pemmican for low-tech food preservation.
-Research difficulty is now related to your faction’s tech level. Researching techs above your level is harder. So if you’re a tribe, researching spaceflight will be difficult.
-Added research (needed for tribes only): complex clothing, electricity
-Added research (needed for non-tribes only): pemmican
-Added research: air conditioning, autodoors, gun turrets
-Added ‘ransom demand’ incident. Can fire after one of your people is kidnapped.
-Added “killed my X” social thoughts so people dislike their loved ones’ killers
-Added new class of “minor” mental breaks, which can happen at mood under 40%.
-Added minor mental break: food binge.
-Ground fertility is now reported on mouseover.
-Added moisture pump, which slowly converts wet terrain to dry terrain. Requires power.
-Hives now pop out glow pods – bug light sources that glow for 20 days (as long as they’re installed) and can be reinstalled or sold.
-Added traits: creepy breathing, annoying voice. These are socially repellent.
-Added trait: pyromaniac. Will go on firestarting sprees when stressed, and never puts out fire.
-Added panther for jungle biome. Because I discovered panthers aren’t real and I need to cope with this somehow.
-There is now an orange glow to help you identify very hot areas.
-Added/replaced animals created by the excellent Kay Fedewa:
-Caribou
-Cassowary
-Deer
-Emu
-Arctic fox
-Fennec fox
-Red fox
-Gazelle
-Husky
-Ibex
-Lynx
-Megatherium (prehistoric giant ground sloth)
-Ostrich
-Raccoon
-Rat
-Turkey
-Arctic wolf
-Timber wolf
Interface
-Added a row of colonist icons along the top of the screen, with various status info. They can be clicked to select, double-clicked to jump to, or box-selected to multi-select. These icons can be turned off.
-Trading interface now lets you type in the number you want to trade instead of dragging to the number.
-Animals tab now has gender and life stage informational columns
-Animals tab now has a “slaughter” checkbox column to allow easy slaughtering of many animals
-Animals tab now has checkbox columns for each trainable, to allow easy training of many animals
-Reworked the right-click menu to be prettier, more readable, more solid, and better handle large lists of options.
Exploit solutions
-Traders, visitors, raiders, kidnappers, animals, etc will now escape if surrounded by walls with no way out.
-Manhunters and insects will attack doors if colonists try to hop in and out of them while getting shots off.
-Hives must now be tended by insects, so if insects are all instantly killed by a turret wall, the hives will die out.
-You can no longer avoid the ‘executed prisoner’ mood impact by just shooting or starving the prisoner; pawns will get a “prisoner died innocent” thought. A similar solution applies to the deaths of colonists.
-Solved various powerleveling exploits. Once colonists have learned a certain (high) amount in a day, they’ll learn at a much-reduced rate until the next day.
-Flowers are no longer good animal feed (reduced nutrition).
-Fixed exploit where players would give prisoner to raiders for kidnapping, to make raiders go away without a fight. Solution: Raiders only kidnap colonists.
Other
-Updated to Unity 5.
-World generation is now part of the new game process, instead of being separate.
-Roofs must now be manually built and torn down by colonists; they do not appear and disappear instantly any more.
-Reworked AI food selection algorithm to take into account personal mood impacts, rottenness, and other new factors. e.g. Now cannibals will actually seek out cannibal food because they get a mood bonus, while non-cannibals will avoid it.
-Flow for opening worlds and savegames from old version is now improved; the “warning, old version” dialog comes before you open them instead of after.
-Deworked mods config menu to have a much nicer selection and ordering interface.
-Humans can now eat unbutchered corpses (though they really don’t like it).
-Infestations are easier and grow less exponentially.
-Infestations only appear deeper underground now.
-AI now runs away from grenades thrown by their own faction.
-Tortoises aren’t so deadly any more.
-Animals no longer do incest.
-Humans now do incest.
-Seeds for world gen are now generated from actual words instead of random letter strings.
-You can now set both minimum and maximum skill on a bill.
-Beauty trait now has four stages: Staggeringly ugly, ugly, pretty, beautiful.
-Some backstories now force pawns to have a given trait (e.g. Model->Beautiful)
-Trade caravans can bring pack dromedaries.
-Projectiles fired by hunting colonists no longer intercept random targets.
-Some traders buy and sell furniture now.
-Gut worms and muscle parasites vanish sooner.
-Reworked ancient tomb loot generation. Plasteel is sometimes found on pod people. So are components.
-Nuzzling is now a visualized, recorded social interaction.
-Various refactorings to make modding easier and code easier to maintain and more flexible. Much more functionality is now implemented as composable ThingComps.
-Many, many, many other balance changes, gameplay and interface refinements, and bugfixes.