RimWorld (New DF-like)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sepiche

RimWorld (New DF-like)

Post by Sepiche »

I remember seeing the Kickstarter a bit back for this, but promptly forgot about it until I saw it mentioned on Qt3.

Rim World is a Sci-Fi Dwarf Fortress like game where you start on a small inhospitable world in control of 3 crash survivors and have to build a safe haven while under constant threat of weather and raiders controlled by a differing set of storyteller AIs.
http://rimworldgame.com/" target="_blank

The game is very alpha at the moment in terms of content (research tree is very basic, lots of items haven't been included yet), but the interface, controls, and in particular the combat AI seem really polished already.

Graphically it's pretty similar to Prison Architect at the moment, but the author has said there will be a whole new set of professionally done graphics for the final game.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

The fun so far is in fighting off raiders. Right now you only have basic machine gun auto turrets, blast charges (mines that have to be set off manually), and your survivors with their weapons to do so. Starting with only a single pistol you can slowly build up your arsenal by looting dead raiders to eventually get guns like Uzis, grenades, laser rifles, M-16s, shotguns, sniper rifles, etc.

The impressive thing is how well the AI do when they attack. They will make contact with your defenses, flank, hold snipers back out of your range, use cover, retreat when they get too beat up, lean around corners, etc. Auto-Turrets are nice, but the AI have no problems picking apart defenses that rely too heavily on turrets, not to mention turrets drain valuable power and are expensive to replace.

It's available on the website above, and the developer will be giving out Steam keys to backers once it's up on Steam.
Last edited by Sepiche on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Re: Rim World (New DF-like)

Post by Daehawk »

Interesting.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Neat. Looks a bit like a space prison architect.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Here's a shot of my most successful base. I've lost count of how many raiders I've killed now after almost 90 days.

Enlarge Image

Things are still going pretty well, but there's been a solar storm the last few days that came right after a big attack, so my colonists are getting pretty close to the breaking point after witnessing all that carnage and coming back to a powerless home afterward. :P
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

So how alpha is alpha? I watched a few videos and they guy playing keeps saying there isn't much to show beyond 1 or 2 episodes. Do the creators have a track record or is this their first game? I've purchased a few Steam early access games and it seems like they get 1 update and then the dev's vanish forever (with my money).
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Citizen wrote:So how alpha is alpha? I watched a few videos and they guy playing keeps saying there isn't much to show beyond 1 or 2 episodes. Do the creators have a track record or is this their first game? I've purchased a few Steam early access games and it seems like they get 1 update and then the dev's vanish forever (with my money).
It's definitely alpha content-wise, but the basic mechanics, engine, and UI are there and working well. The main thing right now is the research tree is very small still (you can research everything in pretty short order), there's loads of resources to be added (right now really only food and metals are working), lots of rooms still need adding, more enemies, more story elements, plus a healthy share of pathing bugs, etc.

My current game is heading into day 90. I really ran out of new stuff to look at around day 15 or so, but just a slow expansion of my colony and fending off increasingly large waves of raiders has been enough fun to keep me playing. The eventual plan is to have a tech tree that allows the player to build an escape ship and use it to leave the planet.

I don't think they have a track record beyond doing some small indie work.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

I've picked up this alpha and have been playing with it a little.

I agree with Sepiche that mechanically the game seems good, especially the combat AI, but there are a number of obviously unfinished (or partially-finished) things.

The research tree is very brief indeed, maybe 6 items or so. It doesn't take long to exhaust it.

My current colony looks similar to the image above, except I have a (very large) graveyard instead of the corpse pile. :D Every time a raid appears it seems to be about 15-20 raiders.

I am assuming that a future update will make the raiders smarter about avoiding blasting charges :twisted:
Conform or be cast out!
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

So how's this doing?

I saw over in the Spacebase thread that this was a pretty good game, and something to replace that now that doublefine was dropping it. I was going to pickup spacebase eventually, but not I'm not going to bother.

It caught my eye a few times since it was first shown, and I was hoping for some impressions from someone's been playing for a while through updates.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'm the one that recommended it, so at the risk of sounding like a fanboy.., it's coming along great! :)

There's been about 3 or 4 big patches since I posted a lot of that originally. Here's just the latest one that came out a month ago:
-World generation added. You can now generate a world from a seed value and choose where to land your escape pods.
-Biomes added. There are six biomes on the world map, but only three of them are implemented so far – desert, arid shrubland (the only choice, previously), and temperate forest.
-Obviously, biomes have distinct animal and plant life which present unique challenges and opportunities.
-Coastlines added. If you land on a seashore, your map will have a coastline in it (though it doesn’t do much, it’s fun to play on the beach.)
-Medical system added. Instead of simply having hit points, characters, animals, and mechanoids have a body health tracker that records every wound and every body part and how they interact. Wounds will affect specific abilities, so someone with eyes burned out can’t shoot or do surgery well, and someone with leg wounds will move slow. Wounds can also become permanent if left untreated, or kill someone due to bleeding.
-Pain level is tracked. A character in too much pain will become incapacitated.
-Doctors and medicine now have a purpose! Your doctor will attempt to heal wounded colonists and prisoner (if the prisoner is marked to receive care). If there is medicine available, he will use it to increase the chance of giving quality care. Wounds treated with quality care are much less likely to become permanent.
-Delicate body parts like brains or eyes usually end up with permanent damage when harmed.
-Characters now have personality traits which affect gameplay! Enjoy playing with colonists who are lazy or hardworking, neurotic, psychically sensitive or deaf, bloodlusty, or nudist.
-EMP weapons added. Useful for fighting mechanoids, and for enemies attacking your turrets.
-Spacey new menu music from Alistair Lindsay. More in-game music and sound effects from Al added as well.
-More translations added and existing translations updated.
-Lots of other small improvements and dozens of bug fixes, as well as new bugs to discover!
He's currently doing a round of bug fixing which usually precedes a new update, so there should be a new one out before too long. Also here's his development blog he keeps updated with improvements:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rC ... OHyNsg/pub

Lastly here's an update video from the previous patch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5omZG5ZIOyQ
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New update for this just came out with some pretty cool features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZXY4fxj0Ck

In the last version they added detailed damage which sometimes resulted in colonists losing limbs, eyes, various organs, etc., so in this version you can give colonists prosthetic limbs ranging from peg legs and hooks to bionic eyes and razor claws. On the medical theme you can also remove organs from colonists and prisoners for transplant or sale if funds run low.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New update out for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvK0Q17808g
Temperature and seasons
A new temperature system tracks temperatures indoors and outdoors.
Characters can get hypothermia, frostbite, heatstroke, or burns from being in extreme-temperature areas.
Certain clothing can protect against temperature discomfort/harm.
Temperature changes daily and on a yearly cycle according to where you are on the planet. There are distinct seasons.
There are special heat wave/cold snap events.
Added heater and cooler buildings.
Food spoils. This can be slowed or prevented with refrigeration.
Snow falls and accumulates over winter. It slows down movement.
Snow can be cleared manually, and will melt if heated.
New apparel: Parka and tuque.
Added new biomes: boreal forest and tundra
Art and crafting
Sculptor's table added. Colonists can create abstract sculptures.
Sculptures and melee weapons have a quality. Quality is influenced by crafter skill and affects beauty and damage.
Apparel crafting now allows crafting any kind of apparel.
Can now craft any kind of melee weapon from appropriate materials.
Created 'unfinished thing' step to crafting. Crafting can now take several days per item (as in the case of advanced weapons or art).
Added art trading.
New content
New animals: elk, hare
New plants: pine tree, birch tree, moss, xerigium
Xerigium plants can be farmed and refined into herbal medicine.
New power plant: wind turbine.
New weapons: triple rocket launcher, doomsday rocket launcher.
New items: Glitterworld medicine, herbal medicine.
Alphabeaver event creates alphabeavers who will consume trees until stopped.
Ancient cryptosleep shrines now generate on the map. Open the cryptosleep caskets if you dare � the occupants may not be friendly.
Economy and trader stock generation reworked and rebalanced from the ground up.
Stats inspector allows inspecting more things in more places, and provides more, clearer info.
Several new songs from Alistair Lindsay.
You can now release prisoners. This gains you goodwill from their faction.
You can now configure your keyboard hotkeys.
Dozens of other fixes and improvements.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I need to stop being quiet on this an report that this game is quite a bit of fun.

I've been playing the last few Alphas for this and I would certainly recommend it for anyone that's remotely thinking they may like it.

Specifically, RIP - your love/interest in Prison Architect will transfer to this very well. Also, I feel I've picked up on jztemples style and I think he'd also enjoy this a lot.

In short, it's like the Love Child between Prison Architect and Dwarf Fortress - set in a Sci-Fi world with enough cowboy in it to make you feel like it could be a world from Fire Fly.

10,000 ft view:
Start the game with 3 people, and start to build your fort.
Manage priorities of each of your people and work on things like farming, hunting, contstuction, cooking, arts, repair, research.
Make deals with trade-ships (unseen, from orbit) for $ and loot, Bionic body parts being among them.
Remove prisoner's kidneys and sell them on the black-market.
Get raided Time after Time by other denizens of the planet ranging from prirates shooting balsters with power armor to tribesmen with spears to mechanoids from the hive.

as noted, the most recent release added Temperature effects (heatstroke, frostbite, AC/Heat, food refridgeration, etc) - and all the Biomes are now available for play-testing.

Seriously some fun stuff. The only negatives are really just that it's an Alpha (but vey much ALIVE) and that it's not yet on Steam...

I highly recommend this game.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Hrdina wrote:I've picked up this alpha and have been playing with it a little.
If you have a 'name in the game', I just had you raid my colony last night. :D

Hrdina didn't make. :)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Glad I'm not the only one. :)

Dare I say I think this might be my favorite DF-like next to Dwarf Fortress... although now that I think about it Prison Architect probably edges it out.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sepiche wrote:Glad I'm not the only one. :)

Dare I say I think this might be my favorite DF-like next to Dwarf Fortress... although now that I think about it Prison Architect probably edges it out.
Interesting. I value your opinion. You spent a helluva lot of time on DF and you certainly knew your stuff.

You like Prison Architect over Rim World? I don't have PA because a) it was expensive and b) making prisons doesn't appeal to me as a concept. Of course the implementation could be great fun.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

GreenGoo wrote:You like Prison Architect over Rim World? I don't have PA because a) it was expensive and b) making prisons doesn't appeal to me as a concept. Of course the implementation could be great fun.
Yeah at this stage I'd say PA is the better game, but only just, and mostly due to it being a little farther along in development and by virtue of having the straight forward, concrete goal of building up your prison and housing more inmates.

Rimworld offers a unique setting and has a huge amount of potential, but at this stage once you accomplish basic survival and get somewhat established it gets a little more nebulous. People's opinions on this will probably vary by how open they are to setting their own goals. Rimworld is also much more true to the open world nature of DF, whereas PA has perhaps more in common with the city building genre.

That being said I don't know of any other games that will let me capture my enemies, harvest their organs, and sell them to a passing merchant, so Rimworld is in many ways in a category all it's own. :)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

A fun story from my latest game:
Poor Katherine was one of the first colonists. Born on a toxic planet she grew up in the tunnel warrens under the surface learning to understand the rocks and mine new tunnels before signing on with an outlaw mining team to mine asteroids. She's a legendary miner, but sadly by the time she crashed landed with the two other survivors to found this colony she was over 60 and suffering from cataracts giving her only 30% of her normal vision. Even though she could barely see that didn't stop her from being a great miner and valuable member of the community (if only marginally useful in a gunfight).

Her story gets much happier after she discovered a gold deposit while carving out sleeping quarters for new colonists. By trading the gold away to passing merchants the colony was able to afford a number of new luxuries including a bionic eye, which the resident doctor successfully replaced one of her eyes with giving her 85% eyesight instead of 30%. Merry Christmas Katherine. :csmile:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Awesome.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Unagi wrote:
Hrdina wrote:I've picked up this alpha and have been playing with it a little.
If you have a 'name in the game', I just had you raid my colony last night. :D

Hrdina didn't make. :)
Yes, I did in fact have Name-in-Game, so thanks a lot. :x

(actually that is really awesome)

I'm glad to see at least that they honor their pre-order promises. :D

I have actually not installed the last couple of releases. I enjoyed what I played, and it looks as if the game has changed immensely since last I looked. I expect it to be quite good when I go back.
Conform or be cast out!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New version up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu6nsUUzgy0
-Alcohol
Added hops growing, beer brewing, beer drinking, inebriated thoughts and ability impacts
Added special ‘binge’ mental breaks
Added teetotaler and chemical fascination traits
Added hangovers

-Tales and art
There are now three tiers of sculpture: small, large, and grand. Grand sculptures are 2×2 cells.
Sculptures now have generated descriptions of what they depict.
Sculptures will depict events that happened earlier in a colony’s life, include: killings, drunkenness,vomiting, landing in drop pods, artwork created, struck ore, person captured, person recruited, animal hunted, surgery done, someone was on fire, someone went psychotic, someone gave up
High-quality weapons have art engraved into them.
All weapons now have quality levels, including guns and bows.

Old characters now appear at a low but regular rate.
Old characters have gray hair and tend to have age-related illnesses (cataracts, bad back) which reduce their effectiveness.
Old characters tend to spawn with higher skills.
Since people don’t age in cryptosleep, characters now have both chronolotical age and biological age. Even animals and mechanoids have ages.
Dates are now relative to specific years. The game starts in 5500.

-New stuff
Personal shields added. These one-person shields block a certain amount of damage from ranged attacks and also prevent shooting out. Great for melee fighters.
Artillery shells are now needed by artillery cannons. Shells on the ground can explode. Siegers will come with shells to use to bombard you. Shells can be crafted at the machining table.
Added deterioration: items left outside for a very long time will deteriorate and eventually crumble away.
Surgery can fail now, sometimes catastrophically. Failure chance is related to the surgeon’s medical skill and the quality of the medicine.
You can now rescue incapacitated neutral people and heal them. Their faction will be appreciative.
Guns now have quality levels which affect accuracy.
Added Heavy SMG
Added psychic foil helmet
Added corn and rice crops.
Vomiting: Some diseases, drunkenness, cryptosleep sickness, and hangovers now cause people to vomit.
People can now get food poisoning. Bad cooks are more likely to accidentally poison meals.
Game now records total real playtime per colony.
Added ‘pause on load game’ option.
Many new sound effects from Alistair Lindsay for UI, work, and combat.

-Misc improvements
Deep optimization on various systems – especially AI. This should make big colonies run much more smoothly.
Added bad thought for wearing tattered clothes.
Apparel becomes damaged when owner dies from violence.
Apparel actually takes the damage it absorbs as armor.
Apparel wears out over very long periods of use.
Uranium ore now appears as a minable natural rock.
Colonists will now go to extinguish nearby fires even if someone else is already coming to do it.
Cryptosleep caskets are now sealed, come with warnings, and can contain deadly ancient defenders.
Reworked the ‘do until you have X’ option on bills; it now works for more bills and shows the number you currently have.
Eating now takes priority even over emergency work (doctoring, firefighting) if a colonist is starving.
Colonists, when hauling to stockpiles, always haul the max amount they can carry, and drop the extra nearby if the target cell can’t hold it all.
Reworked ship takeoff sequence into a proper whiteout with nice credits.
Player can no longer magically toggle power on any item. Rather, you designate power to be toggled and the colonists go do it.
Temperature now equalizes through both walls and roof/floor.
Lengthened day from 20,000 to 24,000 ticks. Shortened month to 12 days.
Reworked auto-tutor to rely more on passive alerts and less on in-your-face interrupting modal dialogs.
Colonists are now bothered by people walking around inside the room while they sleep.
People newly woken from cryptosleep have cryptosleep sickness for a while.
Wind varies over time (not just with weather changes), and so will the power output of wind turbines.
Fonts are now nicely antialiased.
Tons of other refinements, rebalancings, and bugfixes.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Nice! Off to download! Thanks Sepiche!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, nice update!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Wild.... I have a colonist that's 53 years old, biologically. But she is 2,404 years old chronologically. That's some serious sleep-time.

She also has an unusual interest in chemical sources of enjoyment.
:dance:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I saw a post about this over on GamingTrend's forum and found it looked interesting; I must have just missed the thread here. Are folks still happy with their purchase of the game? I saw the changelist above and it makes me wonder how much the gameplay experience has changed and are folks still happy with it.

Also, according to the developer's page, it's RimWorld or Rimworld (one word). Just mentioning it in case someone does a search for it here. Hello!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

This intrigues me.
Popehat, a blog.
jztemple2

Re: RimWorld (New DF-like)

Post by jztemple2 »

I do have another question. I was looking at the Rimworld front page (http://rimworldgame.com/) and there are what looks to be an amazing number of features in the game. My question is, are these features in there now?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I'm actually quite pleased with my purchase, but I came in fairly late. RPS had a recent early impressions of the game that was fairly glowing, which says a lot (link here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02 ... ha-review/).

It does have quite a bit of stuff in already, the AI director is fairly good, there are a large number of types of buildings and goods and you really get a sort of "story" going (for instance, you can capture an attacking raider, keep him imprisoned and alive, then harvest his organs to sell on the black market - all of which now increases the stress level of your colonist, possibly making him into an alcoholic). RPS describes this in the best way, it has the aesthetic of Prison Architect, the survival mentality of Don't Starve, the AI director of Left 4 Dead and the society building of Dwarf Fortress (and much of the same complexity).

Overall, it is a lot of fun even at this early stage. Updates come every few months and are usually as sweeping as Prison Architect updates. Like PA, I do wonder if this one will ever truly be "finished," but there is a good amount of game here already.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Actually yeah everything on that page looks to be in the game currently.

There's some more refinement of the game to do and additional content to the added, but almost all the core systems are there now.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, I was having a weak moment and the OO effect overwhelmed me so I picked this up :roll:. It's certainly interesting. I was having issues on just getting things to work at first, but I'm finally actually getting my little colony on track. Now, can I survive the first winter?
abr

Post by abr »

I'm quite pleased with my purchase. Even if the current version were the last, I still would have gotten my moneys worth or more. :)
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Found an excellent mod for Rimworld thanks to a Youtube series from Das24680 called Superior crafting:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11741.0

One of the few complaints a lot of people have about Rimworld in it's current form is that research tree feels pretty random, and the game starts you able to build quite a few powerful items that feel a little out of place for a handful of crash survivors (auto turrets, solar panels, heating and cooling units, etc). Superior crafting totally redoes the research tree to be a little more traditional in unlocking many of the more advanced items. Materials have also gotten a revamp with the added step of needing to smelt bars, cut planks, make glass, and many other little changes in order to make the build tree a little more challenging to climb.

Enlarge Image

It's definitely a ton more challenging as turrets for instance are much more expensive to build, require gunners initially, and require steel bars that take time to craft, but the payoff of getting some of the new items built is a nice little reward in itself. Farther down the research tree the mod also makes available many items that previously could only be traded for: among them advanced medkits and bionics.

Overall it's really a well done and very polished mod that anyone who feels like they've mastered Rimworld in it's current form should check out. I've only played it a bit so far, so I'm not doing justice to how much it changes the game, but I've found all the changes it makes fun so far.

I've also taken to using the Pawn State Icons mod:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9163.0

It adds small icons to the side of each colonist that shows any extreme negative moods they are feeling as well as marking them as idle if they are.
Enlarge Image
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I haven't fired this puppy up in months. It was fun at first, but I guess I'm not a DF-like kind of guy. The tech tree mod certainly does look interesting.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I've had some close calls, but so far I'm hanging on in my first Superior Crafting game.

It took me a bit to figure out the changes to the resources and what crafting benches needed to be built, but I managed to get a decent base built into a defensible canyon with plenty of room to expand.

The first main issue I ran into was dealing with raids when I couldn't immediately throw up an auto turret or 4 at a choke point. :P In SC you have to tech up a bit to get auto turrets and the first turrets you can build require gunners to shoot them, start with a poor re-fire rate, and take a lot of steel bars to build. Until you upgrade to a powered smelting bench (and believe me, you want to do that as soon as possible) it takes a lot of work to smelt enough steel bars. Once you're upgraded you can craft 4 times the amount of steel bars with half the resources and a quarter of the time of an un-powered smelter.

Before I could get my heavy guns setup I fended off a number of pirate raids with one raid in particular getting dangerously close to killing my researcher and totally breaking my settlement, but I do at least have a handful of well trained and armed colonists who are able to cover for the less combat oriented colonists.

Once I had my new smelters up and running and my pair of shiny new Gatling guns watching over the entrance to my base I started feeling a little more secure, but since it took me a lot longer than usual to tech up to that point, it wasn't long after that I got hit by my first siege attack. I almost gave up hope at this point, but I figured I'd rally the troops and launch a preemptive attack before the pirates could get established.

Thankfully I had one of my better shots out hunting with a shotgun when the pirates landed so he was able to sneak behind a rock on their flank while my main force of 7 colonists got into position. The main problem was, despite having equal numbers of troops, mine were pretty poorly equipped with only 2 long rifles, a shotgun, a couple pistols, and some Molotovs between them. In spite of all the danger I ran my grenadier up and started throwing cocktails at their firing line as my riflemen put down fire and my shotgunner started harassing them from the flank. I took a bit of damage, but the flames of the Molotovs did the trick and routed/killed the pirates before they could do much damage.

Since then most of the raids have all come at my main defenses, and two Gatling guns are more than enough to deal with the pirates, plus I've been able to loot some decent weapons as well as purchase some from passing ships to make my colonists a little more formidable.

Right now things are getting a bit tense again, but not because of pirates. My colony is in a boreal forest and so the growing season is relatively short, and it starts getting cold much earlier in the year. I thought I had enough food to last the winter, but between feeding my growing colony, visitors, and prisoners, my food stocks are dwindling and it's only just closing in on January. The obvious answer to this problem is to first send out hunters to get fresh meat, and this approach had been working well, however out of the blue around the end of October there was a mysterious nearby chemical fire that has bathed the entire area in toxic gas for the last few months. It's not completely debilitating... it's effects are fairly minor as long as my colonists go back inside and get some rest from time to time, but the problem now is that all the local animals have slowly succumbed to the gas and died. Despite the gas I've been sending out my colonists to collect the bodies (which are no longer toxic after death and are kept edible and frozen by the weather) and hopefully that will keep me fed for a while, but I'm not sure how long it will take for the local animal populations to recover.

I've also researched and upgraded a food synthesizer that puts out very cost effective, if not very tasty meals, and that has kept a lid on food usage to some extent.

Still really enjoying the Superior Crafting mod... it definitely makes the game a lot harder initially, but I also like that once you put in the effort to go up the tech tree you're rewarded with being able to craft more high tech items by the mid game. For instance one of my colonists lost an arm in a bloody gun fight and, after building a powered crafting bench, I could build him a simple arm that gave him big stat boost, and now that I've researched a bit more I've been able to make a bionic arm for him that's even better than a natural arm (although through a series of unfortunate events I lack the medical kits I need to install his new arm :P). Down the line you're also able to build weapons into bionic arms as well as heal internal injuries via harvesting bio material from corpses... that should help a few of the older colonists who are suffering from all sorts of age related problems.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Exactly how much like Xcom is this? The minutiae kills me in that game. Is this more broad based combat or do you have to babysit every guy militarily?
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Pretty much nothing like it. :)

RimWorld's more of a Dwarf Fortress clone. I was focusing on the combat as that's where it gets interesting much of the time, but the vast majority of the gameplay is managing your colonists day to day activities, building a settlement, managing morale, etc.

Combat is pausible real time and you have to baby sit your colonists quite a bit at times, however the enemy AI is generally quite good, but exploitable in some situations.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Sepiche wrote:Pretty much nothing like it. :)

RimWorld's more of a Dwarf Fortress clone. I was focusing on the combat as that's where it gets interesting much of the time, but the vast majority of the gameplay is managing your colonists day to day activities, building a settlement, managing morale, etc.

Combat is pausible real time and you have to baby sit your colonists quite a bit at times, however the enemy AI is generally quite good, but exploitable in some situations.
Can you compare it to Gnomoria other than it's a lot more expensive? :)
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lorini wrote:Can you compare it to Gnomoria other than it's a lot more expensive? :)
They're similar, although it's been a long time since I've played Gnomoria. I'd say in general RiwWorld is a little more streamlined than most DF-likes... by that I mean it has a lot of depth to it, but the interfaces are well done and make things easy to manage, and the graphics are nice and sharp.

RimWorld is also generally much lower population than other DF-likes. A large RimWorld settlement would be something more like 10 - 15 people as opposed to scores or hundreds.

That and obviously it has more of a sci-fi setting than most DF-likes. Related to that there's also a concrete goal to shoot for in RimWorld... farther into the game you can research ship building and with the right components (some rare and hard to get) you can make a spaceship to escape the planet.

I've played pretty much every game that's like Dwarf Fortress and for whatever reason RimWorld is the one I keep coming back to. It has an excellent balance of pacing, sharp visuals, and well thought out mechanics that just make it fun and easy to play. The unique sci-fi setting is also part of the appeal, but even if it were fantasy based I feel I'd like it the same.

Need to head out now, but I'd be happy to expand on any of that if you have questions.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I bought it....um what's the best way to learn how to play?
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Go with a dwarf-fortress approach to learning. Keep it at rough and normal story teller - and pick a temperal forest (just to give you a slightly good environment), maybe heavy mountains so you can use their placement on the maps for defenses, etc... - and then just start playing. You will likely get overwhelmed by some raid at some point but have fun doing so...

(not much help, sorry)

I just LOVE this game. I can't believe how few people here seem to be bighting at it.

Not that it gives any game tips, but I do think the fictional primer helps setup the context.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I have never played Dwarf Fortress. I'm trying to work up to it, but the graphics have always been an issue for me.

The game is not on Steam and he can't promise Steam keys to purchasers. That is going to give a lot of people pause, plus the high price.
Black Lives Matter