Fallout 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Fallout 4

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:31 am Its instructions say "Choose a season from the downloads page. Choose only ONE season at a time, you can manually switch seasons via your mod manager at any time. It is quick and easy for you to do this!" WHAT downloads page?
Files tab.
Kraken wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:31 am I installed 11, and Nexus shows them all installed, but the in-game list only displays 6 of them.
I can't say without knowing exactly which mods, but many - especially those that just replace textures, don't have .esm/.esp files. The in-game list only displays those files.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

What Files tab where?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's hard to be certain without the mod linked, but I'm guessing it is this one? If so, it is the 'Files' tab on that page, directly above the words 'About This Mod.'
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Ah, OK, thanks. I didn't know if the files tab was supposed to be on the website, in the mod manager, or in the game.

The mod itself was a stupid big download, and now each season is hundreds of megs more? IDK if I'm going to bother with that or just uninstall it. Not tonight, anyway. Maybe later.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm guessing that each season includes a complete set of environmental textures - every ground texture, every plant, every tree, the sky, some structures, maybe even lighting and weather.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm sure it's very pretty. I just don't know if it's 3-gig pretty. But since I've already installed the basic mod, I'll probably try one season just to have a look-see.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I totally get the mod experience. I spent more time modding Oblivion than I did playing it, and I spent 200 hours playing it. :)

I think that it’s a function of free time now. When FO3 came out I just played the vanilla game, and didn’t feel like I noticed anything “wrong” with it. Then Skyrim came out, and same thing.

I would still enjoy the concept of modding for the reasons you mention. I just don’t have the free time that I apparently had back when I was playing Oblivion. :)

When I asked my question above it was more about whether there is something fundamentally broken with the game or not, that I would need the unofficial patch. If I had all the DLC, I guess I can’t imagine a reason to not install it though.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are lots of tiny things broken. The patch fixes the technical problems (and I believe that it takes a rebalancer/leveling adjustment to fix the biggest design issue with almost any Bethesda game.)

As to time and modding. I get that. The most recent time I set up Skyrim, I did so with a variation of the STEP system. The idea is that I essentially have a backed up copy of a Skyrim install that is fully modded minus flavor mods. If I decide to play, it would take me a few hours to add some thief mods or some caster mods to play it. The first day and a half of the two day process is complete and backed up. I (eventually) plan to do the same with Morrowind and Oblivion. I have a 2tb storage drive, so I have no issue backing up a few pre-modded games, then just dragging them to my SSD when I want to play.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've never been into mods bigtime, but as long as I was bulldogging my way through the Nexus manager (thinking that I needed it for the patch) I figured I might as well try a few of the most popular ones. I see that Nexus also supports Xcom2, which is next on my play list after Fallout 4, so I reckon I'll add a few mods to that as well.

I generally don't want to change the gameplay very far from what the designers intended, but I do like graphical flourishes and extra music. Always enjoy the radio stations in Fallout, and when I start to get tired of the songs in the base game I'll download more. I only didn't grab them up-front because they nerf the DJ intros.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm at attempt 100? To try and actually get farther than 10 hours in this game. I kept on deflecting off the surface for some reason. I have a small but effective collection of mods that I'm running and I had a blast playing yesterday. I'm playing in the survivor mode with some mods to make it less rage inducing. I enabled saving and removed the penalties you get for things like using the stim packs. Getting instantly thirsty all the time isn't my idea of fun. Running around for 20 minutes to step on a landmine and lose all the time isn't either. :lol:

I can list out my mods when I get home, but it's only about 10. The biggest one for me is sim settlements. I have zero interest in trying to build these things myself and being able to assign a leader and watch the town build itself is AMAZING. I haven't even looked into the addon mods that people have done for this as I could see that just ending in me never playing the game. As long as I get some kind of decent settlement up it's a lot better than anything I would ever do. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I need to adjust the survivor damage scales. The default is insane. Freaking rats rip me apart in seconds with the modifiers they use. I'm first going to try bumping myself up to the same level and using keyboard and mouse. With it being this difficult using the gamepad with no aim assist is unpossilbe. If that doesn't work I'll just bump the damage down for the AI. I literally can't make it more than 5 minutes without getting killed. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

For those dying to know at home... I updated my damage modifier to match the computer AI and it made a world of difference. Fights are brutally deadly, but on both sides. If you get the jump on someone or vice versa it gets ugly fast. Couple that with using the mouse and keyboard instead of the gamepad and I had a total blast playing last night.

I did the mission where you have to go rescue Valentine. With the high damage outputs I had to be super careful on how to engage people. I sniped people as much as possible and if that wasn't an option I would try to funnel them into a staircase or something similar. The neat thing about this setup is that drugs have a very viable use now. I had to drug myself up to win the one fight. Taking Jet and then attacking someone with a tommy gun sure is fun. :lol:

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think the game gets an unfairly bad rap mostly due to the settlement building. I've been having a hell of fun playing it this last few months and I really don't feel it's quite as bad as it's been made out to be. Playing it vanilla too, although I did encounter a bug with Paladin Danse that required me to mod it (as I'm playing it on PS4) and was the only way to get passed the bug. Other than that I haven't had any issues. I feel some of the voice acting to be pretty good and the characters have a lot more personality than past Fallouts and some really good quests. The Last Voyage of the USS Constitution has been one of my favourites so far.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's more a FPS in a Fallout world than an RPG. I think that's what bothered people. I freaking love it. The gun mechanics are actually pretty well done. My only issue is how dumb the AI is. If my buddy just got his head shot off 5 feet from my I'm not going to let it go when I don't hear anything for 10 seconds. :lol:

I HIGHLY recommend Sim Settlements for the settlement portion. I slapped down a desk, picked a leader and said build me a town. I then walked away and when I come back more and more stuff is built. It is awesome.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I should definitely get SIm Settlements. The building part takes too much time and isn't fun, and it has a terrible interface to boot. I don't care much for crafting, either.

I do OK in combat as long as I use VATS for everything, especially after I figured out that companions can't die. When the going gets tough, the tough hide behind Piper. I should probably swap her out for a meaner fighter, but she wears the Grognak costume so nicely. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The only thing I liked about settlements was placing turrets. Other than that I felt the people did nothing at all.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

OK, what the hell is Vortex? I need another mod manager to install Sim Settlements? Does it replace/integrate with NMM, or what?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

It's there newer mod manager. Isn't really any harder to use than NMM. It might be available through the workshop too if you are only getting that one mod.

General---
Better Settlers
Settlers of the commonwealth
tales from the commonwealth
Everyones Best Friend
Better Companions
Sim Settlements

Survival---
Canteens of the commonwealth
Salvage Beacons
Campsite
Wearable Backpacks and pouches (Very useful in survivor mode)
Survival Options

Utiliy---
Mod Configuration Menu
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch
Faster Terminal Displays
Full Dialog Interface

GFX/Environment----
Darker Nights (I do this in any game. Night should be dark!)
Enhanced Blood Textures
True Storms (THE AWESOME)
Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul (VERY cool just make sure to adjust the sound slider after installing)
Pip-Boy Flashlight (Awesome flashlight mod. I had to put it at the bottom of my order to get it to work)
Improved Map with Visible Roads
Wetness Shader Fix

Radio---
spooky scary radio
atomic-radio
Blues Radio
More where that came from - Diamond City Radio (More radio stuff)

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Octavious wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:32 pm The gun mechanics are actually pretty well done.
Oh yeah, the one thing I appreciate from this Fallout is that the guns feel pretty good. They feel responsive and have punch. The two previous Fallouts, the guns were kind of mushy.

As for it being more of an FPS than an RPG, personally I really don't see that. I've seen it said a lot, but I don't agree with it. I think it has way more going for it than most FPSes anyway. Just a different style of RPG.

As for mods, the only other one other than the bug fix I use, is one to make the junk weigh nothing. That seriously should have been done from the start when they had put crafting into the equation. Settlement building automatically makes you pick up more junk, but then you're penalized for it. At least give people a backpack? I'm surprised that hasn't become a feature in the evolution of the franchise. Or at least place a backpack somewhere that you can find and use in your travels. That's one improvement I'd like to see in the franchise. Anyway, making junk weigh less makes the settlement building more enjoyable.

The one thing I've struggled with is Companion ammo. I thought in the past Companions had their own internalized ammo, but now they actually run out? What the shit? It leads to frustrating encounters where your companions will end up doing nothing if they run out. I also thought they'd switch weapons depending on enemy type, but they don't.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fallout, like Elder Scrolls, is much more of an RPG than people give it credit for. It just doesn't couch your choices in dialogue menus like most RPGs do. You walk out into the wasteland as a blank slate. If you play it as a do-everything game, then it has much less RPG than if you go out there with a character concept in mind and then play to that concept.

For example, my last playthrough was with the simple character concept, former military engineer with a strong interest in technology and how it can help people. I let that define which quests I prioritized, which companions I chose, which factions I got involved with (pro-Railroad, but anti-BoS), what weapons I picked, and how I approached problems. Approaching it that way made every encounter and location an RPG element. Had I gone out with the usual 'do every quest, make decisions based on game mechanics or generic good/bad guy', all that would have been gone. It's a sandbox. It's up to you whether your sandbox is an RPG or not. The game doesn't feed it to you like Bioware games do, with distinct paths pre-programmed for you to choose from. That's binary choice, not free choice.

Also, companions do have infinite ammo - but only with their default weapon.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:06 pm I should definitely get SIm Settlements. The building part takes too much time and isn't fun, and it has a terrible interface to boot. I don't care much for crafting, either.

I do OK in combat as long as I use VATS for everything, especially after I figured out that companions can't die. When the going gets tough, the tough hide behind Piper. I should probably swap her out for a meaner fighter, but she wears the Grognak costume so nicely. :)
Funny, I stuck with Piper too. How "necessary" are the settlements? They were the worst part of FO4 to me and something I pretty much completely ignored after what the tutorial forced on me. I put a ton of time into the game and don't recall any real repercussions from doing that... but it has been quite a while since I've been to the Wasteland. :|
-mf
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:18 am Funny, I stuck with Piper too. How "necessary" are the settlements?
Not at all. They can give you extra resources, safe spaces around the map, and artillery bases you can call in strikes from, but none of that is needed to beat the game.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't think you need to do it at all, but if you use sim settlements it can do all of it for you. It's neat to come back and see the settlement change while you were gone. That + the settler mods I have adds a lot of character to the game. To use the basic simple let it do it for you portion of the mod you only have to do the following.

Add a planning table.
Pick the plan from the table
Pick a leader
Tell them to start building...

That's it. Right away it goes and rebuilds the town with the basic structure of the plan. It then slowly levels up through 3 levels. Right now Sanctuary is almost level 1 for me. It's really neat and adds a lot to the game imho.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

/edit - that post broke. Trying again. I actually enjoyed the settlement building, although I only built up two - a home base and a money maker. The others I just spent an hour or so on to get functional. I'll quote my post from two years ago, spoilered for those who don't care.

There aren't any real consequences for ignoring them. You can also cheese it, go into a corner somewhere, throw down a pump, some food, and a stack of turrets without any real rhyme or reason, then drop a prefab shelter and fill it with beds (just put a door on.) Takes ten minutes, and if you drop enough turrets it will minimize - or eliminate - the raiding.
Spoiler:
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:10 pm A look at two of my settlements. The first is County Crossing. Since you can't scrap the shack or the ruins, I decided to integrate them into the design and went with 'Scav Town', a Bartertown inspired town with lots of commerce.

The walls are mixed junk fences from the vanilla game and mods. The bus is my personal home, while the original structures are at the bottom.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

This next one is Starlight Drive-In, my personal 'home base' for this playthrough.

Good luck getting in, random Super Mutants and raiders:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Inside I have three structures. Since the shack with the workshop can't be moved, I built a warehouse using the shack's front as part of the back wall. It sticks out of the back of it like an office. The warehouse contains all of my workbenches, armor stations, and robot workstation, plus most of my storage. The brick building is my personal house (2nd floor) with all of my collectibles and trophies on the first floor. The building in the back is a lab.

Enlarge Image

The lab:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Warehouse:

Enlarge Image
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:27 am
Spoiler:
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:10 pm A look at two of my settlements. The first is County Crossing. Since you can't scrap the shack or the ruins, I decided to integrate them into the design and went with 'Scav Town', a Bartertown inspired town with lots of commerce.

The walls are mixed junk fences from the vanilla game and mods. The bus is my personal home, while the original structures are at the bottom.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

This next one is Starlight Drive-In, my personal 'home base' for this playthrough.

Good luck getting in, random Super Mutants and raiders:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Inside I have three structures. Since the shack with the workshop can't be moved, I built a warehouse using the shack's front as part of the back wall. It sticks out of the back of it like an office. The warehouse contains all of my workbenches, armor stations, and robot workstation, plus most of my storage. The brick building is my personal house (2nd floor) with all of my collectibles and trophies on the first floor. The building in the back is a lab.

Enlarge Image

The lab:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Warehouse:

Enlarge Image
Very cool BH. That's pretty much how I handled the settlements, at least in my main playthrough: just got out some creativity and decorated the places up in some way. I don't think most of mine were as elaborate as yours, although I was pretty happy with how my vault 88 turned out:
Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nice!

Not everybody enjoys that element of the game, but for those who do, it's a blast. I do think it was a huge wasted opportunity. If they'd just layered 20% of the elements of a city builder on top of it for some depth it could have been a thousand times better (meaningful economics, meaningful raids, etc), but I really enjoyed what was there.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I just dropped in to ask "How important are settlements?" so thanks for all that. I've been slowly clearing/building at Sanctuary, but in a random fashion because I had nothing to guide me (not even knowing what the point was). I might build up the Starlite since it has a lot of open flat land...or I might not.

I have more than enough caps to buy the house that's for sale in Diamond City. That seems like a good central location for a base complete with services, and no building necessary. So far, I don't mind fast-traveling to/from Sanctuary every now and then, and that's where all my stuff is.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:16 am Also, companions do have infinite ammo - but only with their default weapon.
I wonder if it's a bug then? Because I've noticed that even with their default weapon, they'll often stoop to physically hit enemies with the butt of their gun and then it's no wonder I see them laying injured so often. It's frustrating because I feel like I need to babysit them more than in past Fallouts. They'll also randomly select weapons that I've given them to carry instead of using their default.

As far as quests go, has anyone found the one with the Submarine captained by the Chinese Ghoul? I haven't completed it yet, but once I realized what was going on once I got to the Sub, I was really impressed. We tend to hear about the Chinese side of things off-handedly via terminal text and almost never directly, so it was a pleasant surprise to find a Chinese NPC, and the quest seems to be quite well done.

The game can really be beautiful at times. And I love seeing battle in the distance with those helicopter things. The world definitely feels more alive and less static than past Fallouts.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:16 am Also, companions do have infinite ammo - but only with their default weapon.

As far as quests go, has anyone found the one with the Submarine captained by the Chinese Ghoul?
The reward from that quest is a blast.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:35 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 pm

As far as quests go, has anyone found the one with the Submarine captained by the Chinese Ghoul?
The reward from that quest is a blast.
I see what you did there. 8-)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So I installed the Vortex mod manager to snag the Sim Settlements mod and some winter seasonal graphics. Clicking the Vortex download link opened up the Nexus Mod Manager. As far as I could tell, Vortex isn't doing anything. With all of those add-ons, I think FO4 is now taking up >100GB of my 500GB SSD...and I still haven't downloaded any extra music.

That's nuts. This is one game that isn't going to stay installed after I finish playing it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

NMM is probably set as the handler for the filetype in your browser. You need to find the equivalent setting in the new one (which wasn't out last time I tried, so I'm not sure where it is.) Probably something like 'use Vortex to download...' or 'associate .*** with Vortex' or something.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

As long as NMM still does the job, I don't care what program launches. In fact I just learned my way around NMM so I don't want to start over with Vortex. If it won't assimilate NMM I'm not going to hold its hand.

The seasonal graphics are great, btw. I'm in December now; when I get to April, I'm totally going to download spring. What's another few hundred meg when you're already this far gone? :oops:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its tempting to think about reinstalling FO4 just to mod it up and see what I can do with it .But I played the heck out of it on release and know it back and forward so no point. I wouldn't have any fun. But I played it with zero mods. I know shocking right. So when I do ever replay it Ill have a big time making it cool.

And I love NMM. I tried the other one a few people seem to love more. Though I did like how it somehow modded the game but didn't mod the game and was easy to fix if you broke it I just didn't find it near as easy to use. So Ill always stick with NMM. My last modded Skyrim build worked wonderfully and was beautiful.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mod Organizer. It's a much better piece of software, but there is no question that you're gaining features at the cost of complexity. For someone just wanting a handful of mods to click once and play, there's no need to tackle the learning curve.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm sleeping with Piper now. Dumping her is going to be so much more complicated.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've run into two quest-ending bugs. I couldn't find answers to them, so figured I'd float them here, just in case.

1. The Big Dig: Bobbi No-Nose opens a window in a warehouse door in Goodneighbor and tells me she has a job for me, and invites me in to discuss it. The door is locked and requires a key. Apparently, no NPC holds that key. Banging on the door, shooting the door, leaving and coming back...none of that changes anything. One website told me to use the ~ key to open the developers' console and use the UNLOCK command on the door...but that didn't work, either. After I type "unlock" the console says "door unlocked," but after closing the console nothing has changed. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

2. A New Threat: I do several steps that lead up to building a robot workbench. The step after that is "Talk to Ada," a robot that is available to be a companion (although I didn't take him). When I try to talk to Ada, he says "If you're here you must have built the workbench." The expected dialog tree never appears. I've tried stocking the workbench with parts, going away/coming back, etc., but Ada never goes past that greeting. I could not find this bug addressed online. Maybe I'll kill Ada. :twisted:

Neither of these are major quests. I can just ignore them, and probably will have to. But having started them, I'd like to proceed.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks. For the Big Dig, I'll try using the unlock command again. I probably failed to target the door correctly.

The New Threat bug isn't as clear. I'll try demolishing/rebuilding the robot workbench and see if that works.

I've hit dead ends in two more miscellaneous quests...I'll check Wiki if I decide to return to those. Right now, I'm getting bored with side quests and ready to move the story forward again.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

There are just so many rescuing settlement quests from Preston I can take before it's time to shoot him.
Unfortunately you can't kill your companions. I've tried.
Now when I take them along I let them take all the punishment while I hide and take pot shots at the bad guys.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949