Fallout 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Arcanis

Re: Fallout 4

Post by Arcanis »

I made this for a friend's facebook post on the subject. I feel you guys can appreciate it.
Spoiler:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Brian

Post by Brian »

Two minutes to go...
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Please Stand By
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

...while we crash the server.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Giggity.
Brian

Post by Brian »

The webpage still hasn't updated beyond losing the countdown timer.

Enlarge Image
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'll be in my bunk!
tgb

Post by tgb »

I have to admit, seeing the Pipboy brought a smile to my face.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Looks like there will be a pre-war game sequence (maybe you play as an ancestor or something). And I'm happy this is only for current gen systems, so no artificial restraints on the architecture. :horse:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

War has to change one of these days, right?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It literally never changes.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Why, hello there Boston Common.
Last edited by Hamlet3145 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Enlarge Image
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Hamlet3145 wrote:Looks like there will be a pre-war game sequence (maybe you play as an ancestor or something). And I'm happy this is only for current gen systems, so no artificial restraints on the architecture. :horse:
Just because the cutscene shows a pre-war scene doesn't mean that's in the game. All that was doing was juxtaposing the past with the present as the dog went from room to room
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Grifman wrote:
Hamlet3145 wrote:Looks like there will be a pre-war game sequence (maybe you play as an ancestor or something). And I'm happy this is only for current gen systems, so no artificial restraints on the architecture. :horse:
Just because the cutscene shows a pre-war scene doesn't mean that's in the game. All that was doing was juxtaposing the past with the present as the dog went from room to room
True, but that entire trailer looked like it was done in-engine. If so, they have all the pre-war graphics and assets to use.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

It ain't Fallout without a faithful dog companion at your side...and your jumpsuit and Pipboy of course.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote:It literally never changes.
Surely one day it will change at least a smidge.

Also, doesn't going from spears to nuclear weapons constitute a 'change', by any reasonable definition of the word?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

:)
Black Lives Matter
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

There is also a quick shot of a reinforced/armored Fenway Park in the trailer. Ft. Fenway?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Cool video, nice overview of some sites in the game world. Definitely looks interesting. Looks like the "Commonwealth" has definitely started rebuilding. But I can see the purists already starting to scream about the BoS in Boston (unless some other group has access to powered armor).
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, I'm waiting for Tilt to come in here and start complaining about maintaining the "original spirit of the Fallout setting" or whatever.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote:Cool video, nice overview of some sites in the game world. Definitely looks interesting. Looks like the "Commonwealth" has definitely started rebuilding. But I can see the purists already starting to scream about the BoS in Boston (unless some other group has access to powered armor).
The Institute *has* to have access to powered armor (good chance that they have the capacity to make it), seeing as how they evidently have pretty advanced technology anyway. So it could be them as well.
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Hamlet3145 wrote:
Grifman wrote:
True, but that entire trailer looked like it was done in-engine. If so, they have all the pre-war graphics and assets to use.
True but that could be to some people restoring an area to pre-war look. Anyway, it's a huge leap to from seeing a cutscene to saying that there's a pre-war sequence.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:It literally never changes.
Surely one day it will change at least a smidge.

Also, doesn't going from spears to nuclear weapons constitute a 'change', by any reasonable definition of the word?
:)
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote:
Hamlet3145 wrote:
Grifman wrote:
True but that could be to some people restoring an area to pre-war look. Anyway, it's a huge leap to from seeing a cutscene to saying that there's a pre-war sequence.
The description attached to the Youtube trailer identifies it as an "in-game trailer", for what that's worth.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's about the nature of war, not the nitty gritty details. Sure you can find differences if you dig deep enough, but is throwing a spear at someone really that different from dropping a nuke in their vicinity?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote:It's about the nature of war, not the nitty gritty details. Sure you can find differences if you dig deep enough, but is throwing a spear at someone really that different from dropping a nuke in their vicinity?
Yes, very much so.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote:It's about the nature of war, not the nitty gritty details. Sure you can find differences if you dig deep enough, but is throwing a spear at someone really that different from dropping a nuke in their vicinity?
Is throwing a spear at them really that different from shooting them? No. Nuke? That's different. That is like throwing a spear at them, at their family, at their neighbors, at the next tribe over, at all the wildlife nearby, then burning the forest, salting the earth, and finally poisoning all of the water for 50 miles downwind.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I can't wait for the next trailer.

"War, war never...well, after thinking about it some more, war actually has changed a fair amount."
Black Lives Matter.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Blackhawk wrote:That is like throwing a spear at them, at their family, at their neighbors, at the next tribe over, at all the wildlife nearby, then burning the forest, salting the earth, and finally poisoning all of the water for 50 miles downwind.
Yup. That'll teach 'em.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm glad they aren't using cutting edge graphics. That means it will probably run on my system, unlike Witcher 3.

The again, after looking at my wallet, maybe not so glad.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Grifman wrote:
Actually, those were in-game assets. You don't go through the trouble of making those pristine in-game pre-bomb assets if you aren't going to use them. You can also tell because the lighting is game lighting. I've been staring at my own game's crappy footage way too much...

Anyway, the game looks great. But, as others point out, the individual assets are slightly behind, but only slightly. The key is you're looking at a wasteland, not a waste-hallway. These games are about breadth, not individual hairs and fur on a dog.

Speaking of the dog, hopefully if they're making the dog a character and permanent companion, they'll let you choose a breed at start.

I really want to see if there's any improvements to animation for this game. The characters walking around in the video looked a bit stiff still.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Turtle wrote:Actually, those were in-game assets. You don't go through the trouble of making those pristine in-game pre-bomb assets if you aren't going to use them. You can also tell because the lighting is game lighting. I've been staring at my own game's crappy footage way too much...
Sure but that still doesn't mean that there is a pre-war section you play. In fact that wouldn't make any sense because the vault is obviously opened decades after the war given the post war scenes, unless you play an old man/woman. They could have "pre-war" looking assets because some of them are still around postwar.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nerd speculation. Nerd speculation never changes...
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote:Nerd speculation. Nerd speculation never changes...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Allegedly Green Man Gaming is offering pre-orders already for $46 with 23PERC-ENTOFF-48HOUR code. No release date listed - just "2015". I'm guessing October/November, though I'm not basing that on anything other than past-practice.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This is going to be a busy fall for me...

Fallout 4
XCOM 2
Tomb Raider 2
Just Cause 3
Arkham Knight
... all the other stuff I am forgetting.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote:
... all the other stuff I am forgetting.
Work? Family? Going outdoors?
Black Lives Matter.