The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Post by coopasonic »

D.A.Lewis wrote:How safe is it to loot the boxes & chest that are not guarded? All my goodie two shoes actions aren't getting me squat. And goodwill ain't paying for a cup of coffee, tet alone repairs and crafting.
In the first few levels, cash is a bit short, but it won't be long before you are leaving stuff on corpses because the vendors can't afford to buy it all. :P

--

When I got to the first big area (yeah the initial area seems big, but you're wrong) it seemed like there wasn't enough content to keep my level up with the quests and I was having some difficulty... then I went back to the first area (White Orchard?) and hit all of the question marks. Wow, that made a difference. Now I am overleveled for the content I am facing. I'm 10th level and on a 6th level story quest. I assume that will even out since I hear there are 70 levels in the game and I have cleared about half the POIs in Velen.

Note: Check the level of the quest you just got before you head out. It's a little frightening to get level 33 quests when you are in the single digit levels. On the other hand, at 10th level I managed to take out a group of level 14-16 soldiers (playing on what I would call normal difficulty - swords and story?).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

coopasonic wrote:Note: Check the level of the quest you just got before you head out. It's a little frightening to get level 33 quests when you are in the single digit levels. On the other hand, at 10th level I managed to take out a group of level 14-16 soldiers (playing on what I would call normal difficulty - swords and story?).
I've managed to take out enemies, even groups of them, with red skulls next to their levels. This is on the Blood and Bones difficulty level. It just requires preparation, being careful, and using everything you know about the enemy to its fullest. Not all enemies are realistic to defeat in this way, but some (humans among them) are doable. The most frightening fight where I was outleveled was between me at level 10 and a level 16 wraith. Took most of my resources, but I did it.
Insert witty comment here.
storz

Post by storz »

TiLT wrote:
coopasonic wrote:Note: Check the level of the quest you just got before you head out. It's a little frightening to get level 33 quests when you are in the single digit levels. On the other hand, at 10th level I managed to take out a group of level 14-16 soldiers (playing on what I would call normal difficulty - swords and story?).
I've managed to take out enemies, even groups of them, with red skulls next to their levels. This is on the Blood and Bones difficulty level. It just requires preparation, being careful, and using everything you know about the enemy to its fullest. Not all enemies are realistic to defeat in this way, but some (humans among them) are doable. The most frightening fight where I was outleveled was between me at level 10 and a level 16 wraith. Took most of my resources, but I did it.
Wraiths are hard without upgraded Yaden sign, they just move way fast, and the default level Yaden sign don't last long.

I remember when I first got to Velen, I was only like lvl. 5 or so, and I took the lvl. 33 witcher quest without look at the quest tab, and made all the way into the big cave, then fought the big boss for ages, without making a dent :grund: , finally I give up and went for other POI activities, I still don't think with my current lvl. 12 character, I will make much headway with this ugly boss.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, I can see that. I have never been good at study and preparation. :)

It was amazing how easily a werewolf that was tearing me up went down after I read his bestiary entry.

I also learned to use dodge instead of rolling everywhere.

I guess I am too used to the Assassin's Creed and Arkham type games where you are basically invulnerable if you know which button is the counter button. I am getting up to speed on this system, but I don't think I would ever step up the difficulty. I did not do well with the Dark/Demon Souls games which the monster fights in this game remind me of.

--

One note I didn't realize when I started out that might help others. Your potions (and bombs) refill automatically when you meditate (provided you have alcohest(sp?)) so no need to avoid using them... at least until you get into toxicity problems. Also, Swallow + food + drink = fast health recovery.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I love this game.

That will be all.

:wub:
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I hate you all and will stick to beating 2 before I grab this. Plus I don't think it will work very well on my computer. And it looks terrible! Totally nothing I would like at all. Nope and nope and nope. :tjg:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

EzeKieL wrote:I love this game.

That will be all.

I agree.

Actually there is one thing I really, really hate about this game... I can't play more of it because I have to sleep and eat and interact with my family.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

coopasonic wrote:

That will be all.

I agree.

Actually there is one thing I really, really hate about this game... I can't play more of it because I have to sleep and eat and interact with my family.
I agree. I wish I was playing right now :(
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

coopasonic wrote:

That will be all.

I agree.

Yeah my wife mentioned today that she is getting pissed off with me playing that damn game all the time and I am only just out of White Orchard :lol:

I have been getting up early this week as kids are off to try and play a few hours
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

Just got the game yesterday for Xbox One, currently at level 4, got the main question to travel to Velen. All that seems to be left in the start area is some question marks (PoI). I am fighting creatures 2 levels lower than me, slaughtering groups of 3-4 at a time.

Am I supposed to stay in White Orchard to 100% the area? I am also not sure if there is going to be more points of interest showing up in White Orchard? There seems like there is a lot of dead space on the map. I am not seeing any more quests to do, and the areas I am clearing out (monster nests, guarded treasures, bandit camps) are not giving me much xp at all.

So where do I go next, and what do I do next? Move on to Valen? 100% White Orchard?
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573
Jag

Post by Jag »

MythicalMino wrote:Just got the game yesterday for Xbox One, currently at level 4, got the main question to travel to Velen. All that seems to be left in the start area is some question marks (PoI). I am fighting creatures 2 levels lower than me, slaughtering groups of 3-4 at a time.

Am I supposed to stay in White Orchard to 100% the area? I am also not sure if there is going to be more points of interest showing up in White Orchard? There seems like there is a lot of dead space on the map. I am not seeing any more quests to do, and the areas I am clearing out (monster nests, guarded treasures, bandit camps) are not giving me much xp at all.

So where do I go next, and what do I do next? Move on to Valen? 100% White Orchard?
White Orchard is the starting area, but it's bigger and longer than typical starting areas. My advice is to do all the ? areas that are on your map for ability points and then finish the main quest which will move the story on. You can come back to White Orchard if you want with fast travel, but some side quests and people may not be available when you move on.

You can probably move on at level 2 or 3 from White Orchard.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jag wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

That will be all.

I agree.

I agree. I wish I was playing right now :(
I've been going into work a little late every day the past week because I've been staying up so late playing. This really is a fantastic game.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jag wrote:
MythicalMino wrote:Just got the game yesterday for Xbox One, currently at level 4, got the main question to travel to Velen. All that seems to be left in the start area is some question marks (PoI). I am fighting creatures 2 levels lower than me, slaughtering groups of 3-4 at a time.

White Orchard is the starting area, but it's bigger and longer than typical starting areas. My advice is to do all the ? areas that are on your map for ability points and then finish the main quest which will move the story on. You can come back to White Orchard if you want with fast travel, but some side quests and people may not be available when you move on.

You can probably move on at level 2 or 3 from White Orchard.
Yeah there are 3 or 4 places of power in White Orchard that you want for the ability points. I went on to Velen without exploring White Orchard at all and fell a couple levels behind the quests in Velen. Going back and finishing up the White Orchard PoIs gave me the boost I needed.... then I went back to Velen and hit about 30 of the 60+ PoIs and now I am overleveled, oops. :D I am doing level 6 story quests... at level 11.

I think I have only found 1 place of power in Velen... and not nearly enough red mutagen. I am close to a 3rd tier green, but have only 2 lesser reds. More red!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

coopasonic wrote:Yeah there are 3 or 4 places of power in White Orchard that you want for the ability points. I went on to Velen without exploring White Orchard at all and fell a couple levels behind the quests in Velen. Going back and finishing up the White Orchard PoIs gave me the boost I needed.... then I went back to Velen and hit about 30 of the 60+ PoIs and now I am overleveled, oops. :D I am doing level 6 story quests... at level 11.

I think I have only found 1 place of power in Velen... and not nearly enough red mutagen. I am close to a 3rd tier green, but have only 2 lesser reds. More red!
On Blood and Broken Bones at least, you barely earn any XP at all from exploring the question marks, with a few exceptions. Finding a bunch of places of power is of limited use too, as merely purchasing an ability doesn't let you use it unless you can also slot it. I kind of like that. There is reward involved in exploring places of interest (mostly in terms of loot, in my experience), but you also get a little more flexibility with your character, though not nearly enough to become overpowered.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

TiLT wrote:Finding a bunch of places of power is of limited use too, as merely purchasing an ability doesn't let you use it unless you can also slot it. I kind of like that. There is reward involved in exploring places of interest (mostly in terms of loot, in my experience), but you also get a little more flexibility with your character, though not nearly enough to become overpowered.
As far as the powers go, unless the slots unlock differently on the higher difficulty there are plenty of ability slots if you aren't spreading your points around. I'm 11th level now and have an empty ability slot. I would have two free if I hadn't wasted a point on delusion.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

coopasonic wrote:
TiLT wrote:Finding a bunch of places of power is of limited use too, as merely purchasing an ability doesn't let you use it unless you can also slot it. I kind of like that. There is reward involved in exploring places of interest (mostly in terms of loot, in my experience), but you also get a little more flexibility with your character, though not nearly enough to become overpowered.
As far as the powers go, unless the slots unlock differently on the higher difficulty there are plenty of ability slots if you aren't spreading your points around. I'm 11th level now and have an empty ability slot. I would have two free if I hadn't wasted a point on delusion.
I have slotted abilities with anywhere from 3 to 5 levels, and all my slots are occupied at level 13. I actually ended up ditching the first ability I bought recently (Sun and Stars) because I needed the slot for something else. Slots are a precious commodity in this game. Ability points are not.
Jag

Post by Jag »

coopasonic wrote:
Map with every place of power (and gwent cards if you are into that).
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Jag wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
Map with every place of power (and gwent cards if you are into that).
Boo! Maps spoil the fun and turn exploration into crossing off checkmarks on a list.

Kind of like an Ubisoft game, come to think of it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think now that I've just arrived in Vizima, I'm going to turn off the question mark function.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I got in trouble with the wife last night for violation of a noise ordinance. Apparently I am no longer allowed to kill griffons after 9:00pm. :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, some of those monsters get loud. I've considered headphones, but I need to hear the kids when they whine after the wife goes to bed...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MythicalMino

Post by MythicalMino »

Does anyone have this on the xbox one? If so, how do you turn off the question marks? I cannot seem to find the settings to do that.
My boardgames for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=90573
Frost

Post by Frost »

coopasonic wrote:Yeah, some of those monsters get loud. I've considered headphones, but I need to hear the kids when they whine after the wife goes to bed...

yeah, the headphones got me into trouble on a few late nights when i didn't hear the kids. the mrs. was not happy. I started putting the headphones on but canting them so one ear was not covered, but then on occasion you miss a noise or something that is specific to one side of the headphones. not a major issue.
Some MoFo's are always trying to ice skate uphill - Blade
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Frost wrote: yeah, the headphones got me into trouble on a few late nights when i didn't hear the kids.
I heard they got about 12 miles before the cops pulled them over!
He won. Period.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

MythicalMino wrote:Does anyone have this on the xbox one? If so, how do you turn off the question marks? I cannot seem to find the settings to do that.
world map
filter
deselect undiscovered location
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Didnt check through the thread to avoid spoilers, so sorry if this has already been posted but I figured here would be a good place to mention you can get he game through Greenmangaming for $36 using the voucher code 40OFFW-ITCHER-SLICKD.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

rshetts2 wrote:Didnt check through the thread to avoid spoilers, so sorry if this has already been posted but I figured here would be a good place to mention you can get he game through Greenmangaming for $36 using the voucher code 40OFFW-ITCHER-SLI
FYI anyone from buying these keys CDPR and Greenman Gaming had a piblic spat about these keys. CDPR stated they never sold keys to GMG. GMG acknowledge they tried to reach a deal but obtained keys from other retailers
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Smoove, is this your video?

Smoove-ie
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

Sadly, no, I am not Chris Smoove -- nice find though.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I learned tonight that trying to kill a werewolf at level 3 is a bad idea....
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I learned tonight that trying to kill a werewolf at level 3 is a bad idea....
Did you see that post I made above about going back to White Orchard to beef up my character a bit? Now you know why.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Buatha wrote:Smoove, is this your video?

Smoove-ie
I have to give him credit for his enthusiasm. I can't tell if he's being over-the-top on purpose or if that is his normal way of commenting.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I learned tonight that trying to kill a werewolf at level 3 is a bad idea....
Did you see that post I made above about going back to White Orchard to beef up my character a bit? Now you know why.
I'm there now. Although I'm level 4, about to hit 5. I think I'll quietly and slowly back out of his lair and go level up a bit more though.
He won. Period.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

One important note for the werewolf, it's not really a spoiler since it is in the bestiary info:
Spoiler:
Use poison bombs - I forget the name.

A direct hit is devastating to him.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

This game is just superb, been playing game for 35 odd years and it's been a long time since I enjoyed one so much. The smaller quests are great, totally left field at times, most seem relevant and I have yet to just deliver something or kill 5 chickens though I did have to find a goat.

The main quest is great and the whole lore and wildlife / monsters are just so good. They really deserve major accolades with this game and hopefully will lead to a few more studios stepping up to the mark.

I am so addicted yet for the next 3 days am super busy with the wife and kids I am getting withdrawl symptins just thinking about not playing.
Jag

Post by Jag »

The open world is so addicting. I'll be heading to a quest point and the next thing I know, I'm halfway across the world. Cleared out 5 towns and 3 hours have passed.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jag wrote:The open world is so addicting. I'll be heading to a quest point and the next thing I know, I'm halfway across the world. Cleared out 5 towns and 3 hours have passed.
Heh, that happens to me a lot as well.

My only real gripes are:

- How underwhelming and repetitive the music can be. Wish they could have come up with a better soundtrack.
- The swimming controls are so bad

Outside of those two relatively minor issues, I haven't had this much fun with an RPG in a long, long time.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:My one big complaint is how ridiculous the swimming controls are (using an xbox controller). I really hope there isn't a lot more swimming through underground caves because that was incredibly frustrating.
...and there's a lot more swimming.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I love the fact that CDPR caters to gamers of all types with their difficulty levels. I'm all about exploring the amazing world and getting involved in the great story, characters, lore, and monsters. Combat is entirely secondary to me and if they had insisted on making it overly challenging or complex (i.e. Dark Souls), I would have bailed on the game entirely. As is, they put in a "combat for dummies" setting that allows me to progress through the parts that are appealing to me, while not feeling like I'm getting roadblocked by difficult combat scenarios. On the flip side, it sounds like the higher settings provide a pretty steep challenge, requiring equal measure preparation and skill...which appeals to those who are intrigued by that sort of thing. That's a fantastic balancing act.

There's a ton of these new IP's that have built these incredibly interesting worlds, but jumped on this uber-difficulty trend (Dark Souls, Bloodbourne, Lords of the Fallen, etc.) that is entirely lost on me. So glad Witcher 3 decided to appeal to both crowds.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I'm playing at the 2nd highest difficulty level and my fear is the game is getting too easy, so I may bump it up to the top. I lose interest if the combat becomes easy. I need to feel challenged most of the time.