The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Post by Blackhawk »

Swallow heals you. It's slow and over time, but it is enough to make a difference in combat.

The dodge/roll keys only work if you're in combat.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, the long load times are why I had it installed on my SSD.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote:Swallow heals you. It's slow and over time, but it is enough to make a difference in combat.
swallow + food/drink heals you faster

It's better to not get hit though. :twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Pro tip that I read on the internets (and has served me well): don't bother doing the big roll. Just use the little sidestep dodge. It's a lot quicker and doesn't use up energy.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Roll is for big enemies where the dodge doesn't get you far enough away.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Swallow! Ya now I remember thanks. I have something else slotted....need to remember how to switch. I did find mouse wheel changes my signs. Kept scrolling my wheel wondering what it did not noticing my signs were different everytime I cast one.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Go into your inventory. You should have slots for quick items, bombs, etc.

There is a key (default tab, maybe?) that opens a quick menu for signs and items, too.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Also, on the healing front, if you take the "Gourmet" skill, healing becomes a non-issue. It makes the heal effect you get from eating food last for a full 20 minutes! Totally changed the game for me.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Since this is through the GoG launcher can I delete it and reinstall on my SSD and not lose anything?

Its the last and only thing left on my old mechanical hd. Ive been afraid to move it because Ive put SO much effort and time into it., But to me a load of a save taking over 3 minutes each time is unplayable. I hear it will load better on the SSD. I have no idea how to speed it up on this old drive.

Is it totally safe? If not Ill have to find a different solution.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Figured out some things and can at least fight now. I cant run and it seems Im over weighted. I looked in my INV and good lord I have the kitchen sink too. I have no idea why Im carrying SO much stuff or what most of it is for.

I did discover Im on a quest to find like Hjolmar or someone like that at a old house in the isles. Im there. Im thinking maybe I can simply put extra stuff in a box in the house. I thought signposts were used for fast travel but I cant use the one by the house. Maybe its because im encumbered. If so Ill drop some then go sell and return.

Theres a gold mine behind the house it seems Ive not explored. I have no idea why I quit playing right here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Since this is through the GoG launcher can I delete it and reinstall on my SSD and not lose anything?

Its the last and only thing left on my old mechanical hd. Ive been afraid to move it because Ive put SO much effort and time into it., But to me a load of a save taking over 3 minutes each time is unplayable. I hear it will load better on the SSD. I have no idea how to speed it up on this old drive.

Is it totally safe? If not Ill have to find a different solution.
Do a search for 'Witcher 3 save location.' Find that location. It is probably in your Documents folder, but double check. If so, it shouldn't be affected by an uninstall, but to be safe make a copy of it.

Uninstall. Reinstall. Put the saves back if necessary.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok being over encumbered was not keeping me from using the signs for fast travel. Seems my signs are the problem. have to be in just the right spot to make them clickable.

Found a blacksmith to sell everything to and to disassemble all the rest. Im nervous as hell because i know some of this stuff I was saving for SOME reason. I just no longer remember that reason.

Like some armor and boots and swords Im carrying are actually higher armor or higher damage than what Im using. And I dont know why Im not using that stuff instead. Looking at me some stuff Im using is orange con and the stuff in my INV is green and blue so maybe Im using the orange for some stat that even though the stuff in my INV is better its some other reason Im not wearing it....or why I haven't sold it.

I think what Im going to have to do is simply get rid of everything and wear what i think is best and just move on.

Its actually very scary to do this. I KNOW I kept this stuff for a reason argh.

EDIT: And some stuff is named. Also I dont know to sell stuff or take it apart. Will I need the stuff later to craft or should I collect all the money I can. Im thinking money at this point.

EDIT2: Looking at what Im wearing and what Im carrying I can only assume Im wearing what I am over that stuff because the resists are better. The armoris like 4-30 less than stuff in my INV but the resists are about 10-15% better
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Starting to get back into it now and having fun again.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Spoiler:
I 'kinda' felt bad about killing the giant. I mean he's napping there not bothering me. He made him a little fire to keep warm. Its his cave. And here we are using our swords on him. Stabbing him and cutting open his fat belly. Poor fella.

And when ya loot him ya get monster parts. Who is really the monster here?
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That could have used spoiler tags.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill add them but I dont see what I spoiled.

Anyways theres a new Queen on the throne at Skelligea or how ever ya spell that. Could have gone many ways there at the end.

Fun quest. Did a lot for that one line. Still have some odds and ends to do. plus the main is yet to go there.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Doing pretty good. Did a bunch of quest as I played all night. Never fails to surprise me just how much stuff they packed into this game and yet the quests are really fun and diverse. Im lvl 24 and barely squeaking by the lvl 29 quests. Sometimes I even die on them. Still in Skelliga or whatever its called. The isles. I keep taking side quests and contracts. Ive done the stuff with Yen and Im supposed to meet her now to leave or something. But Im not worried about getting to that anytime soon.

Such a great looking game. Sitting on my horse Roach in the forest as the wind is blowing and trees sway and grass flows. Such a sight and feel. Almost wish I could smell the places. haha.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Daehawk wrote:Such a great looking game. Sitting on my horse Roach in the forest as the wind is blowing and trees sway and grass flows. Such a sight and feel. Almost wish I could smell the places. haha.
Yeah, CDPR really did an amazing job with this game.

Let's skip the smell-o-vision though. It's all fun and games until you ride into an idyllic fishing village and then, guess what, it smells like fish. Worst part, the damn peasants don't even realize it. And let's not even talk about the stew that the trolls love to make. Least the bastards could do is put some salt in it.
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Smell-o-vision is great until you remember that 99% of all RPGs have extended sections that take place in sewers.
Insert witty comment here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Having been in/around both, I'll take the sewers over the piles of rotting corpses any day.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think Bloodborne may have spoiled the difficulty in other games. After finishing that up, I resumed my Death March play through of Witcher 3 and I haven't really found much of anything to be a challenge. The Ciri bits generally take me a few tries because the move set is so different, but I am almost bored with the ease of playing on Death March. With Quen up, depending on the enemy, it takes about 4 hits without a break for me to be killed (First hit takes out Quen, two hits to take all my health, but adrenaline keeps me alive, fourth hit to kill me). I rarely get hit more than once without a break.

I'm finishing up all my side stuff before jumping into the end game. I am no longer worried about having trouble finishing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote:Having been in/around both, I'll take the sewers over the piles of rotting corpses any day.
[Makes mental note of Blackhawk casually mentioning having been around piles of rotting corpses.]
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

They weren't necessarily human. I'm not hanging my hopes on that, but it's what we've got.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Death March play through complete. Did this game get easier since I played it the first time (default difficulty)? I swear it felt like the difficulty was bugged. Yes, the mobs hit really hard, but they hardly ever hit me. Maybe I will give Dark Souls I another try...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

coopasonic wrote:Death March play through complete. Did this game get easier since I played it the first time (default difficulty)? I swear it felt like the difficulty was bugged. Yes, the mobs hit really hard, but they hardly ever hit me. Maybe I will give Dark Souls I another try...
The Witcher 3 was much, much harder when it first came out, but as the controls were updated to become more responsive and Geralt began to react faster to the player changing his mind, the difficulty dropped really fast. Even so, it was always a game that starts out hard and gets easier and easier as you play through it.

The devs learned from it though. The expansions are considerably harder, particularly Hearts of Stone.
Insert witty comment here.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Interesting, so it isn't just that Bloodborne made me a video game superhero... damn!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ulie the Unlucky. Short little quest but really liked it and Ulie. Poor guy. Loved how it ended. Think Im lvl 25 and it took me 3 tries.

Am I missing anything special not doing the Witcher school quests? I got a few pieces then just started wearing whatever is better. Is it worth it other than looks? Guess I need to go online and see what each one does and what it looks like.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote:Am I missing anything special not doing the Witcher school quests?
Yes, the best gear in the game. Figure out which school matches your fighting style and pursue the quests that help you get that gear. I thought I was going to get them all, but it's just not worth it as things become rather expensive. Cat School 4 Life.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

From reading up on it and looking at the sets I think my own school fits me...movement plus signs. So will do that after Im totally done on Skellige. Im about to look for a wrecked ship with Yen now. Man is she uncaring and bitchy. Beautiful but glad I chose Triss and stayed true.

Ugh Skjall. Just SAD.
Spoiler:
that part with the young guy named Skjall and Ciri. Sick feeling and sad. And it didn't even let me clear his name that I can find. Horrible what Yen put him through . And since its the main line quest it had to be done. He deserved better and he didn't run. UGH. I feel bad still.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Daehawk wrote:From reading up on it and looking at the sets I think my own school fits me...movement plus signs. So will do that after Im totally done on Skellige. Im about to look for a wrecked ship with Yen now. Man is she uncaring and bitchy. Beautiful but glad I chose Triss and stayed true.

Ugh Skjall. Just SAD.
Spoiler:
that part with the young guy named Skjall and Ciri. Sick feeling and sad. And it didn't even let me clear his name that I can find. Horrible what Yen put him through . And since its the main line quest it had to be done. He deserved better and he didn't run. UGH. I feel bad still.
Yeah, that part gave me a sad.
Spoiler:
Eventually, you do get some closure on that Skjall fella, though.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

You can get some measure of closure with the Skjall stuff. At least, I did. But yeah, most of the game is a series of down notes. It's what makes the uplifting moments that happen even better.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The problem with the Wolf School gear is that the initial stuff is on Kaer Morhen and you can't get back there until you advance the story a good ways (after "Ugly Baby" quest)... and then it is too weak to wear. The upgrades are level 24 => 29 => 34 so you will need the first set of upgrades ASAP.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote:From reading up on it and looking at the sets I think my own school fits me...movement plus signs. So will do that after Im totally done on Skellige. Im about to look for a wrecked ship with Yen now. Man is she uncaring and bitchy. Beautiful but glad I chose Triss and stayed true.
Yeah, I had the exact same reaction. At least from how she's presented in Witcher 3, Yen seems perfectly happy to trample innocent lives and let the world burn as long as the people she cares about are ok. Whereas Triss is an all around kind and generous person. So...didn't hesitate about going for Triss.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote:Yen seems perfectly happy to trample innocent lives and let the world burn as long as the people she cares about are ok.
I can't stand by and let you trash Yen like this. I find it unacceptable. :D

Seriously, go back and read that linked spoiler-filled article I provided earlier regarding the Yenn/Triss element to the game. I'm also 95% sure if I didn't read the Witcher stories, I would have picked Triss.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, I had the same problem with the wolf school gear. So I wound up wearing Griffon gear until level 39 or so when I switched to some kind of slithering reptile gear.
Daehawk wrote:Am I missing anything special not doing the Witcher school quests? I got a few pieces then just started wearing whatever is better. Is it worth it other than looks? Guess I need to go online and see what each one does and what it looks like.
Ultimately it depends on your play style. One of the schools favors sword fighting (the cat?), one of them favors sign usage (the griffin?) and one of them favors getting hit (the bear). The wolf boosts your adrenaline, I think. Given your experience getting back into the game, you may want to consider the bear :lol:.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This Yen Triss thing. I hate to hurt Yen because we've been off and on for 20 years as she says. But I like Triss since I didnb't read the books.

I just did the djinn quest with her and am at the choice of telling Im sorry its done and over ort saying I love her too. I told Triss to stay and I loved her and we stayed at the light house. This would ruin all that wouldn't it?

hate to hurt Yen even if she is a bitchy overbearing cold hearted....ehh so pretty...ok Triss. Guess I have to hurt Yen here. She'll think it was the binding.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote:This Yen Triss thing. I hate to hurt Yen because we've been off and on for 20 years as she says. But I like Triss since I didnb't read the books.

I just did the djinn quest with her and am at the choice of telling Im sorry its done and over ort saying I love her too. I told Triss to stay and I loved her and we stayed at the light house. This would ruin all that wouldn't it?

hate to hurt Yen even if she is a bitchy overbearing cold hearted....ehh so pretty...ok Triss. Guess I have to hurt Yen here. She'll think it was the binding.
Yes if you advance things with Yen at this point
Spoiler:
Geralt ends the game alone
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

"Yeah, that was totally the djinn." :ninja:
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Did it. Didn't like it.

Id like to replay it sometime as Yen sided. Would it be hard to play JUST the main quest from start to finish? I played this thing months last year and stopped for about 8 months. Now Im back in and working to finish it. Think Im close. Could I replay it it say 2 weeks or less just hammering the main quest only?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If you lower the difficulty you could probably plow through it without much trouble. The only problem is you hardly do any damage to enemies that are far above your level, but the story quests give pretty generous xp so maybe that wouldn't be a problem.

Oh, it also made me sad to disappoint Yen. I guess it is better than pissing them both off like I did in the first play through.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter