The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kurth

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Post by Kurth »

Any suggestions on where to find "meteorite ore" which I need to craft Griffin gear?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

If you can't find it through looting, try dismantling stuff.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

If dismantling the fifty swords you're carrying from random bandits doesn't work, all that junk that you've been collecting out of random boxes should get you some meteorite ore. Alternately, the blacksmith guys are usually able to make components from inferior components.
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

I was pretty burnt out after playing the hell out of W3, but I bought Blood and Wine on sale recently and decided to jump back in. Wow. I think this maybe one of the best DLC I've ever played. The upgrades, attention to detail and volume of content is incredible. I'm ready to finish the final B&W quest, but I'm going to do more sidequests because they are actually fun.

Finally crafted my 6th piece of Grandmaster Griffin armor and I'm an indestructible tank again. So fun.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Cool! I'll try dismantling some stuff tonight. I've been carrying around a ton of junk and extra swords ever since I got Roach some saddle bags. Hopefully, I'll get some meteorite ore out of that. Thanks!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kurth wrote:Cool! I'll try dismantling some stuff tonight. I've been carrying around a ton of junk and extra swords ever since I got Roach some saddle bags. Hopefully, I'll get some meteorite ore out of that. Thanks!
There are also some vendors you can find it from. Note that you'll find a lot more in Novigrad/Skellige than you will Velen.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'm pretty sure that when you dismantle something, it'll tell you what you'll get before you pull the trigger, so it's not like you'll lose a bunch of stuff trying to get what you're looking for.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Well, none of my junk or various loot collected from bandits (swords, maces, etc) appears to yield any meteorite ore when dismantled, and I can't find an armorer in Velen that sells the stuff. I did find the meteorite silver plate I needed for the Griffin armor when I killed the wyvern in the lighthouse, but I really need that damn ore for the gauntlets, pants and boots. Guess I'll have to keep looking or wait until I get to Novigrad.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have 90+ hours in the base game and a little of the DLC and I don't think I ever dismantled a single piece of gear. If I needed something I guess I just went out and found it. Dismantling gear never even occurred to me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I very rarely had trouble with ingredient availability, since I religiously looted every box in sight (unless there was a guard looking at me, learned that lesson the hard way). Worst case scenario is that I used the blacksmith's "component" section to craft the components I needed from inferior components. Also, sometimes, the blacksmith has the relevant components for sale.

Unrelated - in an unexpected twist, a sword that was a quest reward was actually significantly better than what I had. Say hello to "Arondite", the silver sword granted to me by some "Lady of the Lake" in the original Witcher (and it was a pretty damn good sword). Then, when carried over to Witcher 2, it was suddenly a worthless piece of crap, so I sold it off to the first random merchant who'd take it. Suddenly, here in Blood and Wine, the sword appears to have powered itself up to level 40-something and takes monsters apart like nobody's business. The "Lady of the Lake" even admonished me and told me not to lose it this time. That is some seriously amazing detail and foresight by the devs. Even more so because I actually remembered (somewhat vaguely) the details, even though the last time I played the original Witcher was years ago.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Finally made it into Novigrad and found all the meteorite ore I needed. I've also reconnected with some old friends form the Witcher 2.
Spoiler:
I forgot how much I enjoyed Zoltan!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont recall finding any ore there. Then again I dont remember why I needed it. I gotta get back to this arghg.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Kurth wrote:Finally made it into Novigrad and found all the meteorite ore I needed. I've also reconnected with some old friends form the Witcher 2.
Spoiler:
I forgot how much I enjoyed Zoltan!
Yeah, that's one of the things I like the best about Witcher 3, it revisits pretty much every memorable (and some not so memorable) character you encountered in the first two games.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Just when I thought I'd wrap up Blood and Wine with a castle assault and some boring political intrigue, I instead get thrown into:
Spoiler:
an illusion featuring "witcherized" versions of a bunch of children's fairy tales. Including a girl who used to sell matchsticks but now sells drugs and booze, a golden-egg laying goose getting kidnapped by a bunch of dwarves, a drunkass werewolf who killed the little red riding hood and the hunter and tossed them down the well, and a Rapunzel who hung herself with her own hair (because the prince broke his neck trying to climb up to the top of the tower). Now I'm going to put some beans in the ground and go fight the giant from Jack and the Beanstalk.
Amazingly creative game.

I'm still using the Arondite, because it just keeps getting better and better. I'm kind of contemplating temporarily turning of the "auto apply witcher oils" mod just so it takes more hits to kill monsters - that way I can bring the combo count up faster to get the permanent damage boost. Probably not worth it though - I imagine I'm near the end since all hell has broken loose.

Well, there's always new game+. Maybe a decade from now.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

... and just like that, it's over. I was even pleasantly surprised that I got an ending with a minimum amount of grief.
Spoiler:
Detlaff gets killed (not sure if it's avoidable). I rescued the sister from the story book land. Her and the Duchess reconciled during the award ceremony. Then, Geralt snuck off for a drink with Regis, and a quick visit from Triss at Geralt's house to wrap things up.
Overall thoughts: This was an amazing game. It's going to be pretty hard to top it for story, that's for sure. The combat was fun and visceral while retaining a need to think tactically. Even though I eventually gave up trying to look up every question mark, I greatly enjoyed exploring and tracking down treasures. By all rights, I should have become bored after tracking down one or two, but, unlike in Assassin's Creed and other "open world" games, these were actually fun!

Final equipment lineup:
Steel Sword: Steel Toussaint Sword (250 armor penetration, crit chance and damage boost, modded with three poison glyphs)
Silver Sword: Arondite (the only silver sword that scales with your level, negating the need to screw around with other silver swords)
Full viper gear: Sure, there's better armor, but this looked pretty cool. I would have also taken the Gryphon armor since it has slightly higher stats (but less damage reduction vs monster attacks). Quen runes all around (something like a total of 9x large quen rune for a +90% quen boost).

3x large red mutagen and 9x red skills to turn them into +40% damage each (mostly boosts for the quick attack, but also some heavy attack, crossbow and adrenaline boosters)
1x large blue mutagen and 2x blue skills (upgraded quen and axii)
gryphon school armor training
2x green skills (I forget what exactly, something to do with extra damage to potion-affected creatures)
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If you're interested in how each set and each 3 levels of each set look you can view them HERE
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Eurogamer has a great interview with Anderzej Sapkowski, author of the Witcher novels.

On killing monsters:
"Poor cobblers make good shoes, they don't kill monsters. Soldiers and knights? They are idiots generally. And priests want only the money and f***ing adolescents. So who's killing monsters? Professionals."
On George R.R. Martin:
"We are friends. We know each other. We drink unbelievable quantities of beer."
On translation:
"We Poles, we say, 'Translations are like women: if they are beautiful, they are not true; if they are true, they are not beautiful.' "
On why he agreed to license the books for a video game:
"Well they brought a big bag of money! What I expect from an adaptation: a big bag of money. That is all."
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

After playing for countless hours, I went on vacation over spring break and now am having a hard time getting back into this. I've completed Novigrad and am ready to move on to Skellige with my set of enhanced Griffin gear, but I'm just having a tough time getting back into it. Help me out! Is there something really cool coming up? Give me something to keep me going. K. Thanks! :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kurth wrote: Give me something to keep me going. K. Thanks! :)
Are you leaning towards Yennefer or Triss at this point in the story? Because if you've read any of the Witcher book or short story material there's a rather important side quest in Skellige regarding Yenn and how the written material relates to the game story.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I stayed with Triss myself. Ive been gone a year and am about ready to get back to it I think. My worst problem is having stuff in my INV that I have no idea why I have ti now.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Kurth wrote:After playing for countless hours, I went on vacation over spring break and now am having a hard time getting back into this. I've completed Novigrad and am ready to move on to Skellige with my set of enhanced Griffin gear, but I'm just having a tough time getting back into it. Help me out! Is there something really cool coming up? Give me something to keep me going. K. Thanks! :)
Well, for starters, Skellige is amazingly beautiful. Seriously, It was so pretty, I skipped fast travel sometimes just to look around. Second, it's just as good, if not better than Velen/Novigrad. Only thing you want to avoid is the annoying naval points of interest, they're just underwater barrels for the most part.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Smoove_B wrote:
Kurth wrote: Give me something to keep me going. K. Thanks! :)
Are you leaning towards Yennefer or Triss at this point in the story? Because if you've read any of the Witcher book or short story material there's a rather important side quest in Skellige regarding Yenn and how the written material relates to the game story.
Well, Triss and I got reacquainted at the end of my time in Novigrad, so I guess it's Triss. That said, nothing's writ in stone . . .
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ooh..well...as Nick pointed out, Skellige is quite beautiful. :D

Seriously though, I was amazed at how they managed to create *another* area that has a different feel and look than what you've seen so far. I don't remember spending too much time (in comparison) on the main quest in Skellige, but I did (of course) get tied up in various side quests and saw quite a few of the islands and locals. The The Tower Outta Nowheres and Iron Maiden are two I immediately remember, but there were quite a few.

Going back to the Triss/Yenn part, I don't know what will happen for you then in Skellige - the options you'll have available. This article is filled with spoilers, so don't read it until you finish the game. However, if others that have completed the game want to read an interesting analysis on the Yenn/Triss element of the game, I'd recommend it - particularly if you've read the Witcher stories.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tried to jump back into this but seems a patch has reset ALL my controls. I have no idea what they were but while trying to set them all back up I got sick of it and just exited it. Not sure Ill bother.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also the Skellige main region quests are very good - primarily sorting out intrigue and a potential civil war. Just as good (at least) as the other region quests.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Along with the breathtaking beauty of Skillage I got a kick out of people saying "Respect, Witcher" to me every so often. PseudoFrance in the Blood and Wine DLC was also beautiful and a great way to end.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I really want back into this. How difficult is it to play this with a controller on PC? I dont mean making it run..its set up for one...just how does it feel and work out with the buttons for it?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have used nothing but an Xbox360 controller to play the Witcher 3. I literally plugged it in starting playing. No configurations. No editing or 3rd party tools. Just fired it up and played. It's fantastic.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Smoove_B wrote: Going back to the Triss/Yenn part, I don't know what will happen for you then in Skellige - the options you'll have available. This article is filled with spoilers, so don't read it until you finish the game. However, if others that have completed the game want to read an interesting analysis on the Yenn/Triss element of the game, I'd recommend it - particularly if you've read the Witcher stories.
Following the main quest line last night, Yenn and I have now also gotten reacquainted.
Spoiler:
Can someone explain the significance of the stuffed unicorn? I must have missed something along the way . . .
Also, just realized I am not even out of Act I yet! I finished "The King is Dead - Long Live the King," and now the main quest has me exploring some magic event with Yenn, but I'm (yet again) off the rails following up some secondary quests about Crach's children who seem to have gone off on some ill-advised quests. After 2 hours of play last night, I think I'm hooked again.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Spoiler:
My understanding is that the stuffed unicorn is a reference to the books. I don't know any more than that, but I assume that Geralt and Yenn bone on a unicorn in the books or something.
Black Lives Matter.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Daehawk wrote:I really want back into this. How difficult is it to play this with a controller on PC? I dont mean making it run..its set up for one...just how does it feel and work out with the buttons for it?
The Witcher 3 works very, very well with a controller, and like most games these days feels like it was designed for it in the first place. I've completed the game twice now, once for PS4 and once for PC, and I've used a controller both times. There's nothing to be afraid of.
Insert witty comment here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As of now its a moot point. I have tried to play but it refuses to start. If I click the desktop icon a little loading hourglass spins then goes away and nothing happens. If I load the GoG launcher and click PLAY it greys out for a few seconds then turns green again and does not start. If I click the desktop icon a lot it pops up little boxes saying an instance is already running. Then never starts.

So Im assuming it starts for a few seconds then just shuts down. If I look to see whats running it does not show up. So now Im off to the net to see if I can find a reason. I have been away a year from it and its on my old mechanical hard drive. The last game on it actually. Maybe something messed up. Ill check for a REPAIR option before searching the net.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hard to trouble shoot and type at Wil Wheaton on Twitch.

Tried a few tidbits. No go yet. Trying more stuff.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got it. Shes up and runnin. I deleted d3d11.dll and dxgi.dll. That did the trick and it fired right up. In game I switched from full screen to borderless window and hope that helps next time I try to start it. I haven't tried to restart it yet. But I figure if I dont try borderless then since it probably reinstalled both those dlls on startup Id have the same problem. May still.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Having completed Bloodborne on Sunday I needed a challenge so I am back to my Death March playthrough of Witcher 3. I am up to level 16 and haven't made the jump to Skellige yet, I think I will continue to attempt to be as over leveled as possible. I've gained 3 or 4 levels since I restarted and I haven't found anything particularly difficult. I haven't gone after any monster contracts yet.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

coopasonic wrote:Having completed Bloodborne on Sunday I needed a challenge so I am back to my Death March playthrough of Witcher 3. I am up to level 16 and haven't made the jump to Skellige yet, I think I will continue to attempt to be as over leveled as possible. I've gained 3 or 4 levels since I restarted and I haven't found anything particularly difficult. I haven't gone after any monster contracts yet.
What do you consider over-leveled? I'm playing through on "Blood and Broken Bones" difficulty, and I've found it to be pretty easy so far. I generally don't tackle anything over my level. I die every now and then, but mostly out of stupidity when I get myself in the center of a large group of hostiles (usually drowners). I may start trying to tackle stuff over my level (currently 23) for more of a challenge.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I wouldn't bother. The problem with fighting stuff higher level than yours is that it's a damage sponge. So you'll be pummeling away at the monsters for half an hour, taking off a pixel of health every time, while every hit they make will take off a third of your health. It's pretty annoying, because it's not like they get smarter or anything, they just do the same attack pattern over and over except instead of a fight being over in thirty seconds, it takes minutes. Booring.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The stuff I am concerned about and want to be overlevel for are the contract monsters. They are the only real challenge in the game. Once you understand how to dodge and parry regular stuff (that isn't skull difficulty) is trivial. The problem with the skull difficulty is what Nick mentions, they have way too much health and on the higher difficulties, they do a LOT of damage. One hit from a skull bandit will kill you.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive completely forgotten how to play. im in the isles and in a burnt out house in the hills. Theres a npc with me and 3 something monsters in the house. I keep dying to those 3 because I cant remember buttons or moves and such. Ill get out one day.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Getting back into this is HARD because Ive forgotten everything. I couldn't remember how to heal then found how to eat food. I thought there were healing potions but I guess not. Then I couldn't figure out how to cast signs or what they did. Now I do. But some things I still cant work like dodge or roll. They are bound and I know the keys yet in combat they seem to do nothing. Then there are the skills and points and using green item with green skills.. I dont remember a damn thing. Im STILL in that house where it loads me because there are 3 devourers there that constantly kill me.

To make matters worse it takes me 20 seconds to die but over 3 minutes or more for it to load the damn save. Not sure whats going on there. Need to look that up. Hell the long ass loads may be why I stepped away last year...who knows.

EDIT: Looking online it seems Im FAR from the only one griping on the slow loads. Joy.