The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt

Post by Daehawk »

Not that way. i mean finding a sign first is fine but always having to go to one once you've found it is annoying. Other games where you adventure and find a FT point then just use the map are much better for me .

Also was rescuing two sorceresses in a dungeon and got into it with 4 guards. Must remember to pay attention because those guys rocked my socks before I could toss a sign.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Finished up the main quest line last night. What. A. Bummer.

Not sure why, but I got what looks to be the worst possible ending.
Spoiler:
Ciri is lost, having sacrificed herself to stop the white frost. Geralt killed off the last of the crones, but he ends his story sitting in the crones' house in apparent despair, having found Ciri's old Witcher medallion but about to be swarmed by a legion of monsters.
After watching that cheerful resolution, I read descriptions of some of the other possible endings. Again, not sure why, but somehow my Geralt really got the shaft!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I arrived back in the Isles to find the Sunstone and saw I was now level 32. So decided to round up the Masterwork Wolven armor and weapon diagrams. have them now and just got my armor made. Very kool looking stuff and great stats. Now Im off to the elf guy to get my masterwork swords forged. Glad I got all this before the end of the game.

EDIT: Here I am all fancied up in MasterWork Wolven kit. The swords have runes that make them glow blue and purple down the blades.

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All done. After a little over a year of off and on playing Im done. I didn't get the ending I thought Id get.
Spoiler:
I looked at all the choices for endings. I did this AFTER I had made the choices so not to ruin the game. But it says if I do 3 of the 5 things then Ciri should be Empress but I did 4 of the 5 right and she became a Witcher. Scared the shit out of me because I thought she died lol. I mean being a witcher is still a great ending but not the one I hoped to get or expected to get.
Such a GREAT game. Amazing. Id love to play the 2 big addons. Which brings me to a problem.

The game and the GoG launcher thing are both on my old mechanical drive. I kept them because I was afraid to lose my progress. But now that the game is finished Im ready to delete it and get to the addons sometime in the future. I asked GoG but they never replied.......if I delete the game and the GoG Galaxy client and move the client to my new SSD then when I do reinstall the game sometime for the addons will it have saved or lost all my progress? Will Geralt be a lvl 1? If so Ill never play those addons. Dont want to go through the entire game again. Is there no way to export Geralts saves or make a backup?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Watching all the endings on YouTube maybe I got the best ending after all.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Daehawk wrote:All done. After a little over a year of off and on playing Im done. I didn't get the ending I thought Id get.
Spoiler:
I looked at all the choices for endings. I did this AFTER I had made the choices so not to ruin the game. But it says if I do 3 of the 5 things then Ciri should be Empress but I did 4 of the 5 right and she became a Witcher. Scared the shit out of me because I thought she died lol. I mean being a witcher is still a great ending but not the one I hoped to get or expected to get.
Such a GREAT game. Amazing. Id love to play the 2 big addons. Which brings me to a problem.

The game and the GoG launcher thing are both on my old mechanical drive. I kept them because I was afraid to lose my progress. But now that the game is finished Im ready to delete it and get to the addons sometime in the future. I asked GoG but they never replied.......if I delete the game and the GoG Galaxy client and move the client to my new SSD then when I do reinstall the game sometime for the addons will it have saved or lost all my progress? Will Geralt be a lvl 1? If so Ill never play those addons. Dont want to go through the entire game again. Is there no way to export Geralts saves or make a backup?
Copying your save game is as easy as going to your "documents" folder, look for the Witcher 3 directory, and your saves are in a subdirectory called "gamesaves".
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks. made a copy and a file telling me where to put it back. 76 megs.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Now I'm going back and playing Witcher 2 for the first time. Graphics not quite as sharp, of course, but it's close enough to Witcher 3 that it's filling a void.
Black Lives Matter.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I just made it to Act 2 at level 25. I'm currently working on the main quests at Kaer Morhen. So far I'm really enjoying this game. Steam says I have 107 hours played so far. I wonder how much is left? I hear the other parts aren't as big as Act 1.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote:Now I'm going back and playing Witcher 2 for the first time. Graphics not quite as sharp, of course, but it's close enough to Witcher 3 that it's filling a void.
Rolling plays a much bigger role in this one. har har.

But seriously. You don't have that little side step move, so it's either block or roll. And I never really figured out blocking in that game, so rolling it was.

There are two pretty frustrating parts in that game, which are the boss fight against the [spoilers] and the boss fight against [spoilers]. I assume you already got past the stupid dragon chase in the beginning, right?

Also, if you run into a guy collecting harpy feathers, you should do every single one of his quests. Trust me.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Now I'm going back and playing Witcher 2 for the first time. Graphics not quite as sharp, of course, but it's close enough to Witcher 3 that it's filling a void.
Rolling plays a much bigger role in this one. har har.

But seriously. You don't have that little side step move, so it's either block or roll. And I never really figured out blocking in that game, so rolling it was.

There are two pretty frustrating parts in that game, which are the boss fight against the [spoilers] and the boss fight against [spoilers]. I assume you already got past the stupid dragon chase in the beginning, right?

Also, if you run into a guy collecting harpy feathers, you should do every single one of his quests. Trust me.
Yeah, already past the dragon chase - kind of silly, but not too difficult so not a big deal. Also kind of annoyed (relative to Witcher 3) that brawls in 2 are a button-press mini-game rather than a regular combat with fists.

Also unless I'm missing something it looks like in Witcher 2 you're not eating a full course meal in the middle of combat, which is unfortunate.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I missed the brawls in 1 along with the poker dice. Dice was in 2 but was harder to see. The brawls were one of my favorite things in 1.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Loved Witcher 2. Got it on XBOX as one of their monthly "Games with Gold" freebies. Witcher 3 actually wasn't even on my radar until I played through 2.

Speaking of 3, I've finally gotten over my horrible ending, and now I'm diving into Hearts of Stone. So far, I'm really enjoying this. The side quest stuff is MOTS, but the main quest line is really interesting. Good stuff!
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Think I'm taking a break before I tackle the DLC. I tried to just keep on going and realized it was starting to feel like a grind. :x
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
whitefang

Post by whitefang »

Witcher 3 is the best Witcher ever (or now).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im sure when I replay W1 I will change my mind but for me its
Witcher
Witcher 3
Witcher 2
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Ok, I appreciate trying to make boss fights more interesting/challenging, but WTF is up with the Iris's Nightmare boss in Hearts of Stone??? I about threw my controller through the wall after the 20th time I died. Insult to injury, the load time you have to wait through to take another shot is intolerable. Really not fun. Very bad job by CDPR on that one. I ended up having to dial back the difficulty from "Blood and Bone" to "Just the Story," and it still wasn't a walk in the park.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote:Ok, I appreciate trying to make boss fights more interesting/challenging, but WTF is up with the Iris's Nightmare boss in Hearts of Stone??? I about threw my controller through the wall after the 20th time I died. Insult to injury, the load time you have to wait through to take another shot is intolerable. Really not fun. Very bad job by CDPR on that one. I ended up having to dial back the difficulty from "Blood and Bone" to "Just the Story," and it still wasn't a walk in the park.
Are you talking about the ghost that goes from painting to painting? That one was a huge pain in the ass - I wound up just dialing down the difficulty to get through that one.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Can't you just burn the paintings with Igni and the ghost will come out?

That whole expansion pack was one giant set of "unusual" bosses though. The frog, the ghost, and there's one more.

Pro tip: just fight one of the guys at a time, don't hit the passive ones.
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote:
Kurth wrote:Ok, I appreciate trying to make boss fights more interesting/challenging, but WTF is up with the Iris's Nightmare boss in Hearts of Stone??? I about threw my controller through the wall after the 20th time I died. Insult to injury, the load time you have to wait through to take another shot is intolerable. Really not fun. Very bad job by CDPR on that one. I ended up having to dial back the difficulty from "Blood and Bone" to "Just the Story," and it still wasn't a walk in the park.
Are you talking about the ghost that goes from painting to painting? That one was a huge pain in the ass - I wound up just dialing down the difficulty to get through that one.
Nope. There are three bosses at the Everich manor. The first is the Caretaker, the second is the Painting Wraith, the third is Iris's Nightmare. That's the really hard one, IMHO. It's Von Everich himself, but like 8 of him. But only one attacks at a time unless you accidentally hit the others. Each time you take one out, the next joins the battle, and each is progressively more difficult. For me, even the first guy one-hit killed me if he got me with his special attack, and he moves so quickly, it was very difficult to dodge him. And if you accidentally hit one of the non-attacking guys, they join the battle and then you are toast.

Incredibly difficult. I had no problem with the Blood and Bone difficulty throughout the game, but I had to dial this one all the way back. Very frustrating.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, I had trouble with that one. Think I had to reload like three or four times. What worked for me in the end was a) fighting only one of the copies at a time and b) ... uh, I kind of forget, to be honest. I do remember I ran out of gourmet meals and potions during the fight, though.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Nope. There are three bosses at the Everich manor. The first is the Caretaker, the second is the Painting Wraith, the third is Iris's Nightmare. That's the really hard one, IMHO. It's Von Everich himself, but like 8 of him. But only one attacks at a time unless you accidentally hit the others. Each time you take one out, the next joins the battle, and each is progressively more difficult. For me, even the first guy one-hit killed me if he got me with his special attack, and he moves so quickly, it was very difficult to dodge him. And if you accidentally hit one of the non-attacking guys, they join the battle and then you are toast.

Incredibly difficult. I had no problem with the Blood and Bone difficulty throughout the game, but I had to dial this one all the way back. Very frustrating.
Oh right. Yeah, that guy is super annoying also. I never really understood the point of the whole "bystander shadows" mechanic anyway, since all it does is effectively add an "insta-death" for accidentally striking one of them, which isn't terribly fun.

If it helps the bosses in Blood and Wine aren't as annoying.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Well, that does help. I was considering taking a break before doing Blood and Wine for fear of more of the same. With your reassurance, I'll proceed. I want to get my estate! :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A PC Gamer mag story. The Witcher 3 outsells, outshines, and out plays most all other AAA games simply because its that good. I agree. And its from probably THE best pc game dev in the world right now. They get us and we love them for it. I hope they never get infected by EA because only fire cures that horrible affliction.

Enlarge Image

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-witcher-3-ou ... mment-jump
Without the trappings of loot boxes or 'games as a service,' the single player RPG still managed to outsell almost everything on Steam.
In the year after its release, it made more money in gross revenue than the new Doom, Call of Duty: Black Ops 3, Stardew Valley, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and other huge games released in late 2015 and throughout 2016. That made The Witcher 3 a 'Platinum" seller. Valve jumbled the games in each tier, so it's hard to know exactly where The Witcher 3 ranked, but it was up there with Dark Souls 3 and Fallout 4 and The Division. Impressive legs, Geralt, but not truly shocking.
But here's what I just can't get over. Valve recently put together another list of Steam's top 100 games, by gross revenue which covered 2017. And The Witcher 3 is still on it. And not just in the top 100. It's still in the platinum tier! Up there with Dota 2 and Rocket League and Warframe, which sell in-game items by the virtual truckload, and PUBG, which sold more than 20 million copies in 2017.

No new expansion, no re-release. The Witcher 3 apparently doesn't need those things to keep selling. It's in that ludicrously elite tier of games now, along with the likes of Grand Theft Auto and Mario Kart, that simply keeps selling year after year. And who knows how well The Witcher 3 has sold on GOG, the platform that CD Projekt owns?
Or maybe it was just the tub.
Enlarge Image
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

One of my favorites of all time. No question.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I my finally get started on this game for the first time this weekend. Are there any essential mods I should be looking at or is this good to just jump in vanilla?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just jump in. Keep it on easy/casual. Enjoy the story. If you're finding the combat boring (because it's on easy), then bump it up. No mods, no tweaking - just marvel at the greatness that is this game.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I'm also starting this game (on PS4, with both expansions), mainly because I was led to it while investigating the merits of Horizon Zero Dawn.

I've done 2 quests thus far - one involving a haunted well and one involving a dwarven blacksmith. Though obviously just introduction side quests to get me comfortable with the game mechanics, in both cases the writing was pretty good - better than most (but my knowledge of such things is really out of date).

I need to get used to an RPG/action game that isn't just built for me to get die a lot (i.e. Dark Souls 1-3), and the size of this game is daunting.

Do I need to worry about Crafting or wrong choices in character builds, or can I just proceed as I see fit?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Inverarity wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:09 pm I'm also starting this game (on PS4, with both expansions), mainly because I was led to it while investigating the merits of Horizon Zero Dawn.

I've done 2 quests thus far - one involving a haunted well and one involving a dwarven blacksmith. Though obviously just introduction side quests to get me comfortable with the game mechanics, in both cases the writing was pretty good - better than most (but my knowledge of such things is really out of date).

I need to get used to an RPG/action game that isn't just built for me to get die a lot (i.e. Dark Souls 1-3), and the size of this game is daunting.

Do I need to worry about Crafting or wrong choices in character builds, or can I just proceed as I see fit?
I did pretty minimal crafting - I basically just collected recipes and ingredients over the course of the game, and then crafted what was available with what I had when I was talking to merchants / craftsmen. Not a big deal.

I also wouldn't sweat wrong choices in character builds too much. FWIW I put most of my points into magic and physical attacks, which worked fine for me. You always have the option of casual difficulty, which makes things pretty easy.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Inverarity wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:09 pmor wrong choices in character builds, or can I just proceed as I see fit?
My only advice is to figure out early on the "path" you'd like to take. On the harder difficulty levels, you might not have a choice and will likely need to specialize in potions or signs. On casual/easy, the use of either will help, but it won't be necessary but for a few fights. The only mistake I made was in thinking I would craft armor for all the various fighting styles. It's likely possible, but you would probably need to grind out an insane amount of gold to do so. Again, here you need to figure out what type of fighting style fits the way you play and then just specialize (and craft) that armor set. There's no wrong answer here either. I know many went the heavy/slow route, but I found the light armor to be fantastic - because my Geralt was nimble and quick.

Also, it was much easier to take off when it was time for sweet, sweet love making with Yennefer. I'm sure all the Bear School dudes went for Triss because they lack finesse and grace.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You can also respec your skills after a certain point in the game with a potion available at certain vendors.
Covfefe!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Just jump in, do some story stuff. Explore every nook and cranny, there's a lot of cool stuff everywhere. Don't skip random villages, some of the best stories are in there. Stay away from the skull-rated monsters, those will beat you silly.

Most crafting you can pretty much ignore. The Witcher set armor is pretty good. I wound up going with the Griffin set (that's the medium one).

Combat-wise, learn to dodge. Once I figured it out, combat became a lot easier. On harder difficulties, you'll need to do that and use signs to manage crowds/special defenses. And there are some enemy types immune to certain attacks but vulnerable to others... rock paper scissors stuff. Anyway, it was an awesome ride.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wore a mismatch armor set most of the game..pieces of all..light medium and heavy. But the last 1/4th I was full masterwork Wolf school. It rocked.
Also, it was much easier to take off when it was time for sweet, sweet love making with Yennefer. I'm sure all the Bear School dudes went for Triss because they lack finesse and grace.
hbahah nope I picked Triss. She was my honey for the other two..i couldn't dump her. She is sweet and powerful and kind unless provoked then God help you. Yenn was just a plain asshole to me and everyone else. Gave her a pony ride and dumped her.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What's the name for the Geralt / Triss pairing? Geriss? Treralt?

#Treralt4eva
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

... but guys, the books! The books!

But yeah, Triss all the way.
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:01 am ... but guys, the books! The books!
So, worth picking up?
-mf
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Triss is definitely worth picking up.
Black Lives Matter.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Yen4Eva!!

I'm 10s of hours into replaying this, and I'm just loving it all the more. There has never been a world as fully realized as this one in gaming. It's such an incredible feat that the game would probably be a classic even without factoring in such a rich and rewarding character like Geralt as the protagonist. It's all been written before, but I actually enjoy getting sidetracked by some new quest I run into as I'm trying to do something else, which usually just annoys me in most other games, but I know I'm going to meet an interesting character and/or play through a well-written story that isn't just a mind-numbing fetch quest. I find it hard to think of a game that does any of this better.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:49 pm Just jump in. Keep it on easy/casual. Enjoy the story. If you're finding the combat boring (because it's on easy), then bump it up. No mods, no tweaking - just marvel at the greatness that is this game.
Yes, this. If you don't know what you should be doing, you can just wander into a new town or village and there will be something interesting waiting for you. The whole world is just so fantastic.
Daehawk wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:23 pmhbahah nope I picked Triss. She was my honey for the other two..i couldn't dump her. She is sweet and powerful and kind unless provoked then God help you. Yenn was just a plain asshole to me and everyone else. Gave her a pony ride and dumped her.
If you mean a unicorn ride, then that's the correct progression. :D The relationship between Yen & Geralt just seemed so dysfunctional to me.
Conform or be cast out!
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

I finally finished White Orchard, which took a long time due to real life, not the game itself. The griffin fight was anticlimactic, but riding around with its head on my horse is kind of neat.

I wish they did a better job explaining the various bars on the upper left of the HUD. Is there a cheat sheet for that sort of thing? I'm playing on the PS4, fwiw.

Also, does anyone play without the mini map? I think I'm going to start as I find I pay too much attention to it, and not enough to the scenery at-hand.