[Stardock] Star Control

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

[Stardock] Star Control

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess this was one of those threads that disappeared into the vOOid when the servers when boom last summer.

New interview with Ars Technica about the upcoming Star Control title by Stardock:
In July of last year, developer and publishing house Stardock acquired the rights to the highly celebrated but long-dormant Star Control franchise. The company announced plans for a new Star Control title which would be heavily inspired by the franchise's most famous entry, Star Control 2.

That set the bar mighty high. Forum postings from Stardock CEO Brad Wardell seemed to indicate that Stardock was going to produce not a continuation of the Star Control story, but rather a reboot or prequel. Legions of the game's fans (including this author) were eager for more information on the shape of Star Control to come as Stardock settled down into the early development stages.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
NickAragua

Re: [Stardock] Star Control

Post by NickAragua »

Yikes. Well, hope they do a better job with this than with that Master of Magic knockoff.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I sort of remember playing the original, if it was a 4-color DOS game. Or I might be confusing it with something else.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kraken wrote:I sort of remember playing the original, if it was a 4-color DOS game. Or I might be confusing it with something else.
I'm going to throw out a guess that you're thinking about Starflight:

RMC

Post by RMC »

Starflight is my favorite space game of all time. But maybe that is because it is one of the few games my dad and myself use to sit and play.

I remember waking up one morning and my dad just smiled at me from his office playing the game. He told me he didn't advance the story, but had been mining all night so we could buy stuff. hehe awesome stuff. :)

Anyway, Star Control two was way after Starflight, and was a good game as well.

And counter point, the original remake to Master of Magic(Elemental, right) sucked, but Fallen empires(That was the name, right?) was pretty fun and everything that Elemental should have been.

I hope they learned the lessons, and will make the game right prior to release.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

wonderpug wrote:
Kraken wrote:I sort of remember playing the original, if it was a 4-color DOS game. Or I might be confusing it with something else.
No, I'm thinking of a game that zoomed a window open and closed when one moved one's spaceship from screen to screen, which was innovative for its day. I think there were 3 zoom levels and it was a cyan/magenta/black/white game. But none of the image searches that I did under variations on the Star Control name look familiar. Might have been shareware.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Edit: What the hell happened to my post? It's fixed now. Sorry to those of you who had to read it while it was messed up.

I'm kind of confused after reading that article. Is it an alternate universe, or is it set during (and slightly before) the original war against the Ur-Quan that Star Control 1 sort of portrays? The former I'm kind of iffy about, but the latter is cool. Star Control 1 didn't tell its story well, but there's one hell of a story in it, one that is mostly told in retrospective through the aliens you meet in Star Control 2.

A Sentient Milieu game would also have been cool, from its early days to its downfall. For those who don't remember, that was the name of the big galactic coalition that first lifted the Ur-Quan race from a primitive planet-bound species into the spacefaring juggernauts they would later become, and the same coalition that the Ur-Quan later (unwillingly) decimated. God, just writing about it makes me excited. It's such a great story!

This little tidbit from the article caught my eye:
Star Control 2 had an excellent soundtrack consisting of 4-channel sampled songs (mod files, actually) from a number of composers around the world; each species featured its own unique theme, and the music functioned almost as an extra character. Wardell again recognized the importance of sticking close to the series' roots with respect to sound and music, telling Ars that Stardock is "hoping to take the same strategy as Star Control 2 did and work with the community as much as possible."
I have to admit, I've kind of been semi-expecting to receive some kind of word from Brad in my inbox for a while, but so far I've been disappointed. This quote leaves me hopeful that he might want to involve the Precursors remixing group, which I'm part of, in the new game somehow.

Brad, if you're reading this, know that I would be very excited if you contacted me through my email address at the Precursors homepage (you know, the site you link to at the official Star Control site ;) ) if you want music from the community. Our emails are listed next to our names in the individual artist pages. While I can't speak for the rest of the team (well, maybe one of them, a very good friend of mine), at least I would love to contribute in some way. I can also get in touch with the others, if necessary.

You know... just saying. ;)
Kraken wrote:
wonderpug wrote:
No, I'm thinking of a game that zoomed a window open and closed when one moved one's spaceship from screen to screen, which was innovative for its day. I think there were 3 zoom levels and it was a cyan/magenta/black/white game. But none of the image searches that I did under variations on the Star Control name look familiar. Might have been shareware.
I can tell you that you're describing none of the Star Control games.

The first game was a strategic/tactical "boardgame" in 3D space and with realtime battles (of the same kind as in the other two games) whenever two opposing ships met. It was scenario based, with little actual story outside of the manual (which had plenty of amusing backstory). The entire game, except for the battles, occurred on the same screen, which showed the entire map constantly spinning. The game was good, but not a classic... yet.

The second game is a grand space opera adventure with realtime battles, completely unique at the time, and still completely unique 22 years later. This is one of the best games of all time.

The third game... does not exist. That's the best angle to this. Yup. And if it did exist, it wouldn't be the game you're describing. Hypothetically speaking, of course. ;)

There was also a 4th game, simply called StarCon, that was a third-person 3D action game with almost none of the stuff from earlier games. It was made in an effort to separate the original creators of these games from their intellectual property forever. Yes, it really was that simple. It was a transitional game to make Star Control into a valuable property without any of the races or story that Fred Ford and Paul Reiche had made, just to spite them. The game was canceled, thankfully. An internal, very early build of the game did eventually leak, but it's not worth tracking down.][quote=
Last edited by TiLT on Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insert witty comment here.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

RMC wrote:Starflight is my favorite space game of all time. But maybe that is because it is one of the few games my dad and myself use to sit and play.

I remember waking up one morning and my dad just smiled at me from his office playing the game. He told me he didn't advance the story, but had been mining all night so we could buy stuff. hehe awesome stuff. :)

And counter point, the original remake to Master of Magic(Elemental, right) sucked, but Fallen empires(That was the name, right?) was pretty fun and everything that Elemental should have been.

Sorry for the slight derail, but that is an awesome story :)

Rarely play(ed) things with my Dad but there are several stories of my Mom busting his ass for staying up all night playing Empire Deluxe.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
RMC

Post by RMC »

Redfive wrote:
RMC wrote:Starflight is my favorite space game of all time. But maybe that is because it is one of the few games my dad and myself use to sit and play.

Sorry for the slight derail, but that is an awesome story :)

Rarely play(ed) things with my Dad but there are several stories of my Mom busting his ass for staying up all night playing Empire Deluxe.
Thanks, and all the more real, as my Dad passed away when I was still in my late 20's. <sigh> Been 14 years this month that he has been dead. I am glad someone brought the memory back to me. Thanks for the memory, and I will stop derailing. :)
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

TiLT wrote:.

Brad, if you're reading this, know that I would be very excited if you contacted me through my email address at the Precursors homepage (you know, the site you link to at the official Star Control site ;) ) if you want music from the community. Our emails are listed next to our names in the individual artist pages. While I can't speak for the rest of the team (well, maybe one of them, a very good friend of mine), at least I would love to contribute in some way. I can also get in touch with the others, if necessary.
[/quote wrote:
I'll be sure to make note of it when the topic comes up. :)
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Island Dog wrote:
TiLT wrote:.

[/quote wrote:
I'll be sure to make note of it when the topic comes up. :)
Awesome! :)
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Played tons of StarControl 1, 2, & 3 and Starflight 1 & 2.

Starflight 2 was the very first game I bought with a new "IBM/PC Clone". In short, it was the game that made me a gamer.

Played StarControl a few years later in college. We'd play single-keyboard multiplayer battles. My roommie was MUCH better than I was.

What was the question again?
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Bakhtosh wrote:Played tons of StarControl 1, 2, & 3 and Starflight 1 & 2.

Starflight 2 was the very first game I bought with a new "IBM/PC Clone". In short, it was the game that made me a gamer.

Played StarControl a few years later in college. We'd play single-keyboard multiplayer battles. My roommie was MUCH better than I was.

What was the question again?
Squirrel?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

The b
Bakhtosh wrote:Played StarControl a few years later in college. We'd play single-keyboard multiplayer battles. My roommie was MUCH better than I was.
The best part was when the two people were pressing too many keys at once and some of them conflicted so you'd get that classic *SYSTEM BEEP* sound and the key press wouldn't register. And then you'd fly into the planet (there was always a planet, even in hyperspace). I believe Star Control 2 even had a "Key Jammer" utility to let you play around with key combos to avoid this overlap.

Anyway, LAUNCH FIGHTERS. LAUNCH FIGHTERS. LAUNCH FIGHTERS. LAUNCH FIGHTERS.
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

I need to grab Star Control off Gog and play again. It's been a looooong time.

Anybody else doing this?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Island Dog wrote:I need to grab Star Control off Gog and play some more. It's been a looooong time.

Anybody else doing this?
I picked up the free version of inspired by Star Control 2 a year or two ago and I had the same problem I had when it was released.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php" target="_blank

Playing on keyboard was too difficult for me. If I get the hankering, I'll finally open my USB controller and try to figure out how to hotkey the button and try again.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

My fondest Star Control II memories were of laughing my eyes out and my ears off.

Brad, I hope you dive into the deep end of the "unemployed comedians" pool for the bizarre voices, humorous artwork, and original alien jokes. Set your game above the rest.

While we're waiting. For those who loved the humor like I > The Ur-Quan Masters HD trailer
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Brad Wardell

Post by Brad Wardell »

We're currently working on the prototype for the game. It's basically a modern version of Star Control 2 (i.e. updated stuff, tiny prototype story).

For the writing, Chris Bucholz of Cracked.com is in charge. He has the style absolutely nailed.

We are still hiring up for the team (artists, developers). We also are interviewing people to be the lead designer for it (must live/move to Towson Maryland). As much as Derek and I would love to design a new Star Control game, it's not practical for us to do it from Michigan when it's Stardock East developing it.
Brad Wardell - Stardock
Sins of a Solar Empire - http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com
Galactic Civilizations - http://www.galciv.com
Star Control - http://www.starcontrol.com
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I'm really looking forward to the remake for this! There is a ton of potential here. Hopefully it turns out well, like the recent X-Com remake. I'd apply for the job and all but my video game development days are behind me now, after 10 years I just couldn't take the hours. I'll mention it to a few guys I know though in case they are interested. Maryland is far away though and most of the guys I know have become "old" and established -- I'll be 40 next year!

I really can't wait until we're all in a retirement home having LAN parties in our holodecks.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Brad Wardell wrote:For the writing, Chris Bucholz of Cracked.com is in charge.
with Terry Pratchett? That would be great. :wink:
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

We've opened up the applications for the closed Founder's program we'll be having for Star Control. :)

http://forums.starcontrol.com/473219/
We told you we've been working on it, and now we're ready to share a bit about our hard work! Interested in participating in one of the most exciting reboots in gaming history? If Star Control is as near and dear to you as it is to us, fill out the survey linked below for a chance to join our Closed Founder's program! If your application is approved, you will gain access to The Vault and the private forums where you can get an insider's look at our development process as we move toward release. You will also have the chance to play each iteration of the game when we enter Alpha and Beta phases.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I sure hope they don't slavishly stick with the old Star Control 2 combat. That was horrible and the only thing I actually hated about the game. The rest was fantastic. Especially the Starflight inspired planet exploration.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

ColdSteel wrote:I sure hope they don't slavishly stick with the old Star Control 2 combat. That was horrible and the only thing I actually hated about the game. The rest was fantastic. Especially the Starflight inspired planet exploration.
Yeah, I loved SC 2 & even 3, but the combat was far and away the weakest part. I'd love for them to make combat turn based with entire fleets fighting instead of one ship at a time, but then that's how I think most every game could be made better. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thank you Island Dog for the app info / link. I filled it out.

My favorite part of both SC2 and Starflight was the mining of planets. Buy a better scanner and a bigger cargo hold and explore and mine away. When I hear either game named its what I instantly thing of. The way they did it in Mass Effect 2 though was something off..I got sick of it...but I loved it in these 2 games.

Is this really the nitro engine for the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0rO2DjaFzE
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Yes, it's using the Nitrous Engine.

This is the latest update on the game which gives a bit more info.

http://forums.starcontrol.com/473423/
So it’s using the Nitrous engine which is being developed for Ashes of the Singularity. Star Control will be 64-bit and require at least DirectX 11. This won’t be a big deal when it ships but it’s something to be aware of.

We’ve made some core design choices (Super Meelee will support up to 6 players in MP mode). While we’ve left other decisions (how many ships should be present in a Super Meelee battle) for the Founders to have input on.

The engine, of course, could support thousands of ships in a battle. That’s not the issue. The issue will be the gameplay and what makes sense.
Enlarge Image
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Super Melee? Really? That sounds awful. I think I'm out on this. That wasn't fun even when I was (much) younger. Might as well go ahead and make this a console only game.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

ColdSteel wrote:Super Melee? Really? That sounds awful. I think I'm out on this. That wasn't fun even when I was (much) younger. Might as well go ahead and make this a console only game.
What sounds awful? The name? Because that is about all we know about "Super Melee" at this point.

Also, I kind of liked it....
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

ColdSteel wrote:Super Melee? Really? That sounds awful. I think I'm out on this. That wasn't fun even when I was (much) younger. Might as well go ahead and make this a console only game.
That's what it was called in the SC games originally. I'd expect we'll get something similar to the original, but one can always hope. :)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, "Super Melee" was the name of the ship-to-ship combat module of Star Control 2. It was, in a word, awesome.

I'm not entirely sure about "changing up" the 1 vs 1 formula. I mean, you do what you gotta do, but then it's not really Star Control any more.

Edit: I wouldn't mind having many vs many as an *option*.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id love a full SC4. I liked SC1 ok but LOVED SC2 and really liked SC3.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
What sounds awful? The name? Because that is about all we know about "Super Melee" at this point.

Also, I kind of liked it....
"Super Meelee" (sic) sounds pretty daft, but one would hope that's just a typo from the Stardock bloke (even if he did misspell it twice in the same post).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
morlac

Post by morlac »

Sepiche wrote:
That's what it was called in the SC games originally. I'd expect we'll get something similar to the original, but one can always hope. :)
Color me confused on the angst as well. That was a part of the original games, not the whole game. Like a party mode and it was glorious.

Nick, no worries it says up to 6 players not 6 min. That could be some chaotic fun. I'm even more intrigued!
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

morlac wrote:Color me confused on the angst as well. That was a part of the original games, not the whole game. Like a party mode and it was glorious.
Super Melee wasn't just part of the original games. It was the core focus in the first Star Control. The strategic layer was just an excuse for contextualizing a bunch of Super Melee battles.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The first star control was an arcade combat game, with different ships having different and unique weapons, mobility and hp. I don't even recall it having a strategic layer, although I guess it must have had something.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just hope theres no moving star map. I think that map is one of my all time most hated features of any game ever.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

GreenGoo wrote:The first star control was an arcade combat game, with different ships having different and unique weapons, mobility and hp. I don't even recall it having a strategic layer, although I guess it must have had something.
You could build bases and factories, then use these to produce ships. You then sent them against your enemy's planets, trying to eliminate him from that section of space. Each strategic map featured a semi-3D starfield with maybe 10-20 stars, and I think you had 3 actions per turn to do stuff until your opponent could do the same. Combat was resolved through Super Melee.

The awesome story we know and love was mostly told in the game's manual, which made it one of the most enjoyable game manuals ever. This story is later retold by Commander Hayes in Star Control 2 when he talks about the war between the Ur-Quan and the Alliance of Free Stars.
astyanax

Post by astyanax »

In SC1, meeting the scenario's objective meant winning the scenario, like destroy all colonies or the starbase. Scenario objectives sometimes were asymmetrical.

The rotating starmap took some getting used to, but I thought it was pretty neat! Holograms were still cool back then. :p But it's not that intuitive, so I can see why it's fallen out of favor.

Over thing I really liked about SC1's scenarios was that you could find "Precursor artifacts" that boosted it's parameters. Imagine an Arilou skiff with extra crew and dynamo!

My favorite music was the Yehat the by Riku (actually I think I was in love with MOD files in general back then), so I'm excited that he's on board.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

astyanax wrote:My favorite music was the Yehat the by Riku (actually I think I was in love with MOD files in general back then), so I'm excited that he's on board.
Man, that track was hell to remix for the Ur-Quan Masters. Several of us made various attempts at it, always with disastrous results. In the end, Riku ended up remixing it himself, despite not initially intending to.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I only remember playing SC1 multiplayer on my Amiga. I assume that multiplayer was just a series of super melee matches. Perhaps that's why I don't recall any strategy wrapper for it whatsoever.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The Escapist has an interview up with Brad about Star Control. :)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... ogram-Soon