Factorio, highly addictive game(alpha)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Teijok

Factorio, highly addictive game(alpha)

Post by Teijok »

Hi, I just want to inform a game that i was recently found. Factorio are insanely fun game. It's currently alfa. Game are very stable(no crashes for me) and there are lots of stuff added already.
If you like transport/logistic type of game i highly recommed to give a try.

Quote from homepage:
"Factorio is a 2D game about building and maintaining factories.

You will be mining resources, researching technologies, building infrastructure, automating production and fighting enemies. Use your imagination to design your factory, combine simple elements into ingenious structures, apply management skills to keep it working and finally show your combat skills in encounters with creatures who don't really like you."
baelthazar

Re: Factorio, highly addictive game(alpha)

Post by baelthazar »

While this is clearly drive-by advertising, I will say that Factorio is quite an interesting alpha game. It has a sort of "Spacechem meets Dwarf Fortress" feel about it. Be warned, it is rough around the edges, but worth a try.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I just couldn't figure out if it was in alpha or alfa :)
Rip

Post by Rip »

Unagi wrote:I just couldn't figure out if it was in alpha or alfa :)
What are you talking about Alfalfa?

:lol:
tgb

Post by tgb »

Perhaps the designer is Alfalfa.

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Factorio, no girls allowed!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

The OP is an

"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

In the interest of posting something useful to the OP, Here's a link to the official site.

There is a demo there, and some art and screenshots.

But even the developers consistently misspell "alfa" right on the front page.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Overseas, 'alpha' is not pronounced the same in other languages. The NATO radio code for the phonetic alphabet is defined as 'alfa'.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Personally, I'm not going to buy until it hits the Buckwheat stage.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Giles Habibula wrote:Personally, I'm not going to buy until it hits the Buckwheat stage.
Winnar.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Giles Habibula wrote:Personally, I'm not going to buy until it hits the Buckwheat stage.
Well played. :clap:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Anyone still playing this? I just bought it and am certainly going to need some help :)
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I found this old thread. What brought me to it was playing Infinifactory. Someone asked in the forum is this was a 3D version of Factorio, of which I'd never heard. Infinifactory was fun, but it leaned too much towards being a puzzle game and not enough to being a factory building game. So, anyone have a status report on Factorio? I've gone to their page and their forum and it sounds interesting. I've downloaded and played the demo and looked at that series of tutorial videos on YouTube. I'm just wondering what kind of shape it is in as far as long term playability.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Christ, I felt compelled to make the same alfa joke. :|
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Now that it's on Steam, is anyone playing this? The trailer is exactly what this game is, perfect.
Black Lives Matter
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

It's on my to buy list and now it's on steam I will probably give it a go soon
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'll keep it in mind when I'm in a building mood. It looks interesting.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Share pics :). I suck suck suck at the game but I try anyway :).
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I previously passed on this since it seemed similar to Spacechem, and I could never quite get into that game, and the screenshots/movies of massive production lines looked intimidating, but on a whim I picked this up the other day, and holy cats it's addictive!

I did the first 3 tutorial missions and then just dove into the sandbox game. At the moment I've got a thriving base and am about 50% of the way through the tech tree. I think the thing I like the most is the feeling of accomplishment you get first doing a task like mining manually, and then getting an automated system setup to do the same task. For me the big one was green science packs. I was having fun, but it was starting to get frustrating having to constantly be crafting green science kits, so I finally bit the bullet and started setting up the more advanced production lines I would need to produce them automatically. What a great feeling when I finally got everything working, and without any help from me all the science kits I would need would automatically be built and added into my science buildings.

My base has hit a minor crisis, as my current coal mine is running dry which is causing my steam generators to cut out. I have a massive new coal field ID'd and just need to get the mining units setup, get power to them, and get those resources back to base, but I'll probably have to get my generators restarted manually... just hope I have enough coal & iron to get the job done.

The aliens haven't given me too many problem yet. Occasionally they do a little damage to a turret, but I've got most of my perimeter covered with turrets loaded with AP ammo, and those have been plenty effective to far.
Last edited by Sepiche on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yep it reminds me of Anno in that you always have something more to do to get things the way you want them. Link to beginner's guide.
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

I couldn't wait for a sale. Son and I have been playing a few days.

Addictive.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

And bought. :o
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've got so many games to play through - but this has been wishlisted and I'll pick it up when I can. It looks like something I'd enjoy.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Played the first two tutorial missions or scenario missions or whatever. I'd like to slow the game down to my snail speed but I think I'm going to really dig on this... And I think I'm really going to need to learn even the basic components of the game a lot more... And I think I'm going to need to learn they UI a lot better. Even "E" for inventory is not intuitive to me and I'm not sure that I like that the game doesn't pause when the Inventory is open but I imagine that is to make the same game for MP as for SP.

Lots to like and lots to learn.
Rip

Post by Rip »

There is a mod that allows you to adjust the speed settings to whatever you like. It is on my list of the first mods I want to check out. I too prefer a much slower pace so I can think as I build without feeling rushed.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

"Gone Gold/OO" effect got me, my son and I have been playing this as well and have added it to our growing list of family co-op games. Highly addictive, kind of reminds me a bit of my favorite game of all time M.A.X. (first one not second).

Would be curious to know what mods people are using (primarily graphics/GUI helper ones rather than game changing ones). Since mods are so easy to use (simply drop them in the appropriate user/appdata subfolder), we are using the following (downloaded from the developer website mods subforum):

(1) Advanced Logistic System (tracks all of the items in process/storage, etc.)
(2) EvoGUI (displays time of day, players logged in, pollution level and other GUI items that will eventually probably be added to the game)
(3) Speed Buttons (control game speed - also can do this through console but easier with buttons)
(4) Turrets Range (have not used in game yet, but allows tech to be researched and item built to show turret ranges - helpful for setting up bases)
(5) YARM (helps keep track depletion of resource areas you have discovered/mining)
(6) WaiTex (better textures mod) - new version about to come out in next few days
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote:Played the first two tutorial missions or scenario missions or whatever. I'd like to slow the game down to my snail speed but I think I'm going to really dig on this... And I think I'm really going to need to learn even the basic components of the game a lot more... And I think I'm going to need to learn they UI a lot better. Even "E" for inventory is not intuitive to me and I'm not sure that I like that the game doesn't pause when the Inventory is open but I imagine that is to make the same game for MP as for SP.

Lots to like and lots to learn.
I started pretty much the same way in sandbox mode... not even knowing how to get a power grid setup, but I was able to stumble through it without any major problems.

And normally not being able to pause would be a killer for me, but the main thing seems to be that the aliens kind of scale to how far along you are, so early on it'll just be an alien here or there you can kill yourself. As long as you are a little proactive and eventually start setting up turrets as you start churning out more pollution, you should be fine for when the aliens start massing up a little more.

That and everything just seems to kind of progress organically. I didn't start out with a plan for how to setup all these elaborate production lines, but rather I would hit a point in the game where I would think "Boy, I'm really spending a lot of my time doing X now... maybe I should try to automate that.". Sometimes that automation takes a bit, or would be crippled a bit by my lack of planning, but the way things work in the game it tends to be flexible enough that you can make do. If don't play Primal all night tonight I'll try to post a screenshot of my base so people can see that random and haphazard can still work. :P
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I need time to play and learn now. :(

I enjoyed my taste yesterday but now I'm like "my weekends are too full to play." :(
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

This and Fortresscraft are taking all of my free time.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It took a ton of tearing down and rebuilding and tearing down and rebuilding...

But I think I finally have gear automation where I want it. And now on to conveyor belt automation.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I got to automating green science and all hell has broken loose with my production. I can't upgrade my fast enough and my layout for my infrastructure is way too small and now I've hit my power limit as well and lots of my production is still deteriorating.

I have no idea where to go from green science yet but it appears as though I'm going to have build a second factory with better planning and upgraded stuff. Does the green science tech train get me something better than steam power, I hope?

How do you destroy stuff you no longer need?

And I have like no wood to scavenge for poles. That might end up the real death of me.

I might have to call it a long false start and take lessons learned for a much much much bigger infrastructure plan, and make sure I start somewhere with a forest or a lot more scrap wood.

I am having a hoot. $20 well spent. It's old timey sim city made fun again.

How do I screen capture my factory before retiring it? I really need to learn all of the hot keys.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

If it is the Steam version, I think F12 will take a screenshot.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote:I got to automating green science and all hell has broken loose with my production. I can't upgrade my fast enough and my layout for my infrastructure is way too small and now I've hit my power limit as well and lots of my production is still deteriorating.

I have no idea where to go from green science yet but it appears as though I'm going to have build a second factory with better planning and upgraded stuff. Does the green science tech train get me something better than steam power, I hope?

How do you destroy stuff you no longer need?

And I have like no wood to scavenge for poles. That might end up the real death of me.

I might have to call it a long false start and take lessons learned for a much much much bigger infrastructure plan, and make sure I start somewhere with a forest or a lot more scrap wood.

I am having a hoot. $20 well spent. It's old timey sim city made fun again.

How do I screen capture my factory before retiring it? I really need to learn all of the hot keys.
I also got to the point in my first game where I could technically have continued, but I would have had to practically scrap my base and rebuild it to get things working smoothly. At that point I just started a new game, and restarted a few times until I had a good starting spot. I also upped the size and amount of resource spots, which is I think a good thing to do when you're still learning the game.

My new base is running much more smoothly, although I've gotten far enough with it I'm running into some other problems that I'm sure I will correct in my next game, but I think I have everything I need to beat it with my current setup now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote:I also got to the point in my first game where I could technically have continued, but I would have had to practically scrap my base and rebuild it to get things working smoothly. At that point I just started a new game, and restarted a few times until I had a good starting spot. I also upped the size and amount of resource spots, which is I think a good thing to do when you're still learning the game.

My new base is running much more smoothly, although I've gotten far enough with it I'm running into some other problems that I'm sure I will correct in my next game, but I think I have everything I need to beat it with my current setup now.

I looked at the Wiki and there is some beautiful engineering work going on there that I doubt I would ever have dreamed of.

I also don't get how the right side/left side of conveyor belt works.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote:I also don't get how the right side/left side of conveyor belt works.
It took me a bit to figure out how to exploit that, and it's somewhat situational, but basically by default items get added to the right side of a belt, but inserters will always add items to the opposite side of the belt than their on, so you can use this to also insert items onto the left side of a belt. The biggest advantage of that is being able to cut in half the number of belts you need to input good into some assemblers by putting 2 items on one belt.

You can also control what side an item is on the belt by feeding one belt with another from the right direction.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote:It took me a bit to figure out how to exploit that, and it's somewhat situational, but basically by default items get added to the right side of a belt, but inserters will always add items to the opposite side of the belt than their on, so you can use this to also insert items onto the left side of a belt. The biggest advantage of that is being able to cut in half the number of belts you need to input good into some assemblers by putting 2 items on one belt.
I think I understood this though the logic wasn't full for me.
You can also control what side an item is on the belt by feeding one belt with another from the right direction.

That helps to explain things I didn't understand at all!

If I get back to the game this weekend this will help a lot... Though Battle Bros sort snatched the shinieness from this game quickly. Never buy two games in one week.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I would highly suggest Negative Root's new Beginner tutorial series as well. I'm following along as he does it.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Lorini wrote:I would highly suggest Negative Root's new Beginner tutorial series as well. I'm following along as he does it.
I watched the first couple of episodes based on your earlier post, which is what got me to buy the game, but his approach doesn't really work for my learning style. I don't absorb anything he says or does. That and either is production is poor or my youtube/ISP is unhappy with posts. He voice and images get out of synch and youtube images sometimes hang while the video keeps playing.