Marvel Puzzle Quest

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

Marvel Puzzle Quest

Post by Grifman »

Ok, I just got an Ipad and downloaded and started playing this game. It's the closest thing to electronic crack that I've ever seen. And now there's a Steam PC version. Lots of fun, and collecting heroes is lots of interesting and addictive.

All that to say, you can share rewards if you and friends link your Facebook accounts. I just got a level 3 Ironman from a common cover drop and I felt bad that I couldn't share it. So if anyone is playing the game and wants to link Facebook accounts with me, send me a PM with the info and we can link up. Should help us to get goodies much faster, feeding the crack habit :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
msteelers

Re: Marvel Puzzle Quest

Post by msteelers »

This is the most addicting game I have ever played. I have played this game literally every single day since I first downloaded it months ago. Sometimes I only play a game or two, but sometimes I find myself playing for hours. It's ridiculous.
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

Me too, I've been wearing my phone out playing this. I'm not on FB but I might create an account just for sharing and saving my progress.
Xfire/Xbox Live/Steam Tag: gwartok
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I have been playing for quite a while now, also on a daily basis, but I have to admit that the game has kind of pissed me off now. I've lost all forward momentum on the story lines, and only fight in event fights now. I completed The HAMMER, Juggernaut and Venom campaigns, but I'm stuck about 3 missions into Oscorp. All of the next missions in the chain are considered "Deadly" for me now, and so I'm just grinding my characters now to get them up to the 30's to be able to stand a fighting chance.

I may have spread my leveling around too much...I have Iron Man, Hawkeye and Black Widow at 21, Storm at 19, Thor at 18, Spider Man at 15, Wolverine at 13, Spider-Man at 11, and Cap and Storm at 6 (probably going to sell off my second Storm). So I'm just doing events to get more Iso to continue to level. Just wish I could continue to story lines.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

My daily reward streak is at 70 something so, yeah, I've been playing this pretty consistently on my phone too. I've got a nearly maxed level Thor (and yeah, he is overpowered.. will miss it when he gets nerfed), a max level Storm (Classic?) and working up a replacement Storm. My third party member is usually a 30something Black Widow (Black costume). Lots of other characters that I toy with but don't use that often.

I got through most of the missions, but I think you hit the nail on the head hentzau - spreading out the leveling slows your progress. That said, I usually only play in the events these days anyway. And I've been pretty impressed on the variety of events they've run. More interesting than I thought.

No way I'm going to pay hero points to play in that new Avengers Elite thing they have running. Did anyone try it?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I haven't, though it costs 300 coins for a 2 star hero and with that event you will get at least a 2 star hero, so if you are thinking of spending the coins you might as well try the event as you could win a 3 or 4 star hero if you place high enough

Edit: Never mind, I could have sworn I looked at the event rewards earlier and there were 3 and 4 star cards. Still, you could win multiple 2 star cards for the price of one or much much more
Last edited by IceBear on Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hentzau wrote:I have been playing for quite a while now, also on a daily basis, but I have to admit that the game has kind of pissed me off now. I've lost all forward momentum on the story lines, and only fight in event fights now. I completed The HAMMER, Juggernaut and Venom campaigns, but I'm stuck about 3 missions into Oscorp. All of the next missions in the chain are considered "Deadly" for me now, and so I'm just grinding my characters now to get them up to the 30's to be able to stand a fighting chance.

I may have spread my leveling around too much...I have Iron Man, Hawkeye and Black Widow at 21, Storm at 19, Thor at 18, Spider Man at 15, Wolverine at 13, Spider-Man at 11, and Cap and Storm at 6 (probably going to sell off my second Storm). So I'm just doing events to get more Iso to continue to level. Just wish I could continue to story lines.
The SP kicks the difficulty up drastically at first. You'll have to grind the earlier missions to maximize the rewards and/or move to the tournaments and events until you can level up your guys into the 40's, 50's and even higher. My advice is to focus on a good trio of characters and focus on building them up. When I started I quickly got Iron Man up to 40, and Modern Storm and Black Widow up into the 20's. That can go a long way, but you're at a point where you really want to start leveling up your 2 and 3 star characters. Frankly, Thor, Wolverine, and Spider-Man are three of the most powerful characters in the game... which is why Thor and Wolverine are going to be nerfed soon, likely within the week. Spider-man is on the list to be nerfed further down the line. So maybe you should continue to grind earlier missions or enter the tournaments to get iso and additional covers. Then when the nerfs come through decide if you want to level up those characters.

Now, the current PVE event against the Maggia is kicking my ass. They decided to scale the difficulty based on your characters, which means the lowest level guys I'm seeing are level 100+. I can't even beat the first mission in the current sub-tournament. I might just throw myself at the Elite Tournament with the Avengers for the next day or so.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

IceBear wrote:I haven't, though it costs 300 coins for a 2 star hero and with that event you will get at least a 2 star hero, so if you are thinking of spending the coins you might as well try the event as you could win a 3 or 4 star hero if you place high enough
I'm in it, but I don't think I'm going to do well. I have a level 85 Thor and a level 99 Iron Man 40, but my next highest character available for the tournament is a level 66 spiderman. I've been holding off on spending ISO on him so I can get Ares up to replace Thor when he gets nerfed. Watch, I'll probably get a modern hawkeye with the heroic token.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Thanks for letting me know not to waste my time. I have a couple of level 45s (Wolverine and the black suited Black Widow - great combo really) but not nearly high enough if you are having trouble. I wish I could get the yellow healing power for Spiderman (I have 1 rank in blue and 1 in purple and capped at level 18)
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

msteelers wrote:Now, the current PVE event against the Maggia is kicking my ass. They decided to scale the difficulty based on your characters, which means the lowest level guys I'm seeing are level 100+. I can't even beat the first mission in the current sub-tournament. I might just throw myself at the Elite Tournament with the Avengers for the next day or so.
My characters aren't that high but if you lose they scale down, I've been throwing low level toons at them to down scale them.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

gwartok wrote:
msteelers wrote:Now, the current PVE event against the Maggia is kicking my ass. They decided to scale the difficulty based on your characters, which means the lowest level guys I'm seeing are level 100+. I can't even beat the first mission in the current sub-tournament. I might just throw myself at the Elite Tournament with the Avengers for the next day or so.
My characters aren't that high but if you lose they scale down, I've been throwing low level toons at them to down scale them.
Really? Good to know. I finally have a use for bag-man.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

So... I threw a lvl 14 black widow, level 14 wolverine, and a level 6 bag man at a trio of level 104 maggia. And I mopped the floor with them. I didn't even take a point of damage. Crazy.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

msteelers wrote:So... I threw a lvl 14 black widow, level 14 wolverine, and a level 6 bag man at a trio of level 104 maggia. And I mopped the floor with them. I didn't even take a point of damage. Crazy.
WTF. you are either a much better player than me or lucky as hell in that battle. I'm having trouble with the Maggia with machineguns that hit your ENTIRE team when they fire. These guys are killing me. How do you deal with them - I must be missing something!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I got unusually lucky that game, and was able to control the board and not let any of their countdowns trigger. Bag-Man's yellow ability allows him to add 3 to a single enemy countdown tile. Original Black Widow's blue ability allows her to add to every enemy countdown tile on the board. And my Patch Wolverine is bugged, so his green ability provides 4 friendly strike tiles instead of 2 friendly, and 2 for the enemy.

With all of the strike tiles out there and with each of those characters boosted I found even those low level guys doing almost 1,000 damage on some matches.

That being said, I tried the same group in another battle and barely scratched the bad guys.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The info on the Thor and Wolverine nerfs are out. Here's the link: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2636.

Wolverine still looks good, but I never leveled him up to take advantage of his overpowered green ability. Thor though has been my rock, and took a beating with the nerf. His red ability costs more and does less damage. Yellow has been changed from doing massive damage down to being mainly used to create more green tiles. 2,200 points of damage down to 700 points of damage at max level. But the green ability has been upgraded big time. With 4 covers it was doing 1,000 points of damage to the target and 500 to the others. Now at 5 covers it will do 2,000 to the target and 1,000 to the others.

My initial reaction is that Thor still is useful, but far from an auto-include that he used to be. So probably exactly what the designers were going for.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah, I use Wolverine's green ability a lot. Right now matching 3 green lets me use it and then when I use the original Black Widow's ability to do extradamage when matching purple, black, or blue tiles and stealing from the enemy, if there's enough of Wolverine's extra damage tiles on the board I was doing insane damage.
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

Any thoughts on the Thor changes? I was heading for 5R/5Y/3G and I've got him at 2R/1Y/3G right now with a green card I haven't used yet...
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

gwartok wrote:Any thoughts on the Thor changes? I was heading for 5R/5Y/3G and I've got him at 2R/1Y/3G right now with a green card I haven't used yet...
My old Thor build was 5/3/5, so I'll be sticking with that for awhile. It maximizes the damage output from red and green. I probably wont ever use the yellow ability. Rather, I'll let Iron Man Model 40 use his recharge ability to be a red/green battery for Thor.

I'm going to have to sit and compare the new Thor to Ares. My guess is I'll use Thor on offense, and switch to Ares when I'm looking for defense.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Aw hell. The +3 to all colors boost went from costing 200 ISO to 100 hero points. It's not the end of the world, but I wish they would have done it after the elite tournament. I'm only succeeding there because of the boosts.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

I recently played PQ2 up to the last boss so I figured I'd give this a try.

Do you guys grind to get hero points or purchase them or...?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I purchased some early on in order to expand my character slots, but outside of that I have earned the rest through the in-game rewards. But I don't purchase covers, I only use them to unlock character slots, so I always seem to hover around 1,000-1,500 hero points.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

msteelers wrote:I purchased some early on in order to expand my character slots, but outside of that I have earned the rest through the in-game rewards. But I don't purchase covers, I only use them to unlock character slots, so I always seem to hover around 1,000-1,500 hero points.
Same here. Bought some early, but was mainly to expand for more characters. Otherwise, I drop a few here or there, but I've been pretty steady for awhile now.

The Thor nerf sucks, but I'll probably keep using him. Don't really have anything to replace him with at this point.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I'm surprised at how ok I am with the Thor nerf. Matches take longer, but my team of lvl 85 Thor, lvl 99 iron man 40, and lvl 66 Spider-Man is doing ok in the elite tournament. I'm usually able to finish each match at full health, it just takes awhile.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Man, I would kill for a yellow Spiderman cover. I got 1 blue and 1 purple so he's capped at level 18
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

IceBear wrote:Man, I would kill for a yellow Spiderman cover. I got 1 blue and 1 purple so he's capped at level 18
I'm at 5 yellow right now. I got most of my covers during one of the tournaments a few weeks ago. I think there are a couple spiderman covers in the shield training progression rewards as well, but I have barely touched that.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah they are there but I would have to get to 2400 points and that's more grinding than I think I can manage as I either get 10 points a battle or I am completely outclassed (I have a couple of mid 40 heroes). I thought I had been playing this for a few weeks but I must have missed the Spiderman reward one
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Wow, it costs 10 crystals to skip a battle now. I feel like they are nickel and diming us now

Edit: and now it's free to skip again.. Weird
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

IceBear wrote:Wow, it costs 10 crystals to skip a battle now. I feel like they are nickel and diming us now

Edit: and now it's free to skip again.. Weird
Skip a battle? Did I miss something?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

In pvp events if you are matched up with someone who has much higher level than you you can hit the skip button and get a different match up
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Is that a new thing, or did I just miss that obviously large button at the bottom of the page?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Been there since I have been playing (at least a month now)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It's always been there, but they remodeled it to make it more obvious. They have been talking for awhile about charging to skip battles. It's pretty irritating because I'll skip battles looking for players that have a higher point total than me to reduce the points I lose on retaliation. Routinely I'll go through several matches of only opponents several hundred points lower than me.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I'm pretty proud of myself. I've finished in the top 50 of a couple of tournaments with 2000 people and another I finished in the top 20 of a tournament with 200 players. I could have finished higher in both but there were a couple of fights in each that I was locked out of because I didn't have the required characters, which sort of stunk.

Nice getting the shared rewards with Ice Bear and msteelers also :)

If anyone else wants to share rewards, just let me know and we can hook up via linking our Facebook accounts.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Icebear has been keeping me supplied as well. Thanks a lot! I'm not getting many things to share out, though. Anyone else wanting to hook up PM me and I'll give you my FB info.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Grifman wrote:I'm pretty proud of myself. I've finished in the top 50 of a couple of tournaments with 2000 people and another I finished in the top 20 of a tournament with 200 players. I could have finished higher in both but there were a couple of fights in each that I was locked out of because I didn't have the required characters, which sort of stunk.
Nice!

The reward for the wolverine tournament is Spider-Man BTW. I haven't dipped my toes into it yet, but I might make a run when the current daredevil thing ends.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah I am trying to get them, but I am sorely outclassed so don't think I will crack the ranks to get Spiderman (especially not the top 5 to get the yellow one).

It's going to get harder and harder for new players to get into this
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I don't know. The teams that were at the top of my thick as thieves bracket did it with a team of maxed out 1 star heroes. Grifman just started and he's already placing in the top 50 of some big brackets. They do a pretty good job of letting new players compete.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

A lot depends on the bracket you get into.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The new PVE event is a Heroic version of the Oscorp chapter. It's the same missions, with the difficulty turned way up. You'll also only get a limited number of characters to use during the missions. Some interesting notes from the devs:
The rewards in this Heroic Mode are geared heavily towards progression so we've disabled some of the balancing that helps players catch up with the pack and greatly turned up the number of replays you get per missions.

We've also heard your feedback that the more expensive boosts are making the extra-tough missions impossible so we've taken care to make them available as mission and progression rewards in the event. There's a lot of Iso-8 up for grabs too. We've had a lot of fun building this event, we hope you enjoy it as well!
It supposedly starts some time today. You'll need daredevil to complete some of the matches, which I don't have. :(
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

msteelers wrote:It supposedly starts some time today. You'll need daredevil to complete some of the matches, which I don't have. :(
I was trying to finish in the 3 Cap reward bracket in the last event but I overdid it and finished in the daredevil bracket. I'll guess I'll find up if the difficulty is turned up too much for 2 high level toons to carry a lvl 15 daredevil at 0/0/1. 8-)