Marvel Puzzle Quest

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

IceBear

Re: Marvel Puzzle Quest

Post by IceBear »

I'll give this new event a chance but I'm dangerously close to uninstalling it from my phone. I think I just want the spiderman covers soooo badly (Yes, I'm a spiderman geek) and the Wolverine event is consistently matching me up with 80+ teams (just had one were the lowest hero - the 4 star wolverine - was 119). Compared to my 45 it's just not even worth it.

Was working on the Shield training thing yesterday and managed to make 50 points (most of the matches were only giving me 10-15 points) only to wake up this morning and find I was attacked and lost 90 points. So, yeah, not going to get to 2400 points there any time soon.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Have you tried skipping some of the harder matches? It might save you some headache.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yes, but they are all like that. I counted yesterday, I skipped 26 times before I found an opponent that was similarly leveled as me. Guess I'm just in a bad bracket.

Edit: I've had that happen a couple of times before but since they were for events that didn't really have rewards I cared about I just stopped competing. The issue with this one, I see those three Spiderman covers calling me and it's frustrating seeing them slip through my fingers. Every time I redeem a token, I go "Come on Spiderman" and I swear I keep getting the stupid Bagman :)
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

gwartok wrote:
msteelers wrote:It supposedly starts some time today. You'll need daredevil to complete some of the matches, which I don't have. :(
I was trying to finish in the 3 Cap reward bracket in the last event but I overdid it and finished in the daredevil bracket. I'll guess I'll find up if the difficulty is turned up too much for 2 high level toons to carry a lvl 15 daredevil at 0/0/1. 8-)
You may not need to worry. From what I've seen, the required characters get some buffs, at least increased levels/HPs though maybe not new abilities.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Ugh, one thing I don't like is that between match healing doesn't scale as your HPs go up. When my characters were lower level it was easy to play 2 or 3 matches at a time. Now if I take some damage it's either wait or use healing packs, but that means waiting eventually when you run out of those. They need to increase the healing, give us more health packs. Waiting around really isn't fun.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Build up spider man or original black widow as soon as you can. It's a world of difference once you can reliably heal your characters. I'll often play a match against some hammer troops just so I can heal my guys up before jumping back into the mix.

In the meantime, there is a mission in the venom single player campaign that can help you heal two characters at a time. I used it often until I got the right Spider-Man covers.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

This Thor tournament is... Well... Bullsh!t. I'm using my best team which not only wins most of the time, but I can normally end the fight at full health. And I'm getting smoked. And I'm not playing stacked teams either. Every team I've played are 2-star or below teams. It's just that Thor is boosted so much that it's a race to who can fire off his green ability first. Whoever does wins.

The green ability is doing over 5,000 damage to the main target and 2,500 to the rest of the team. Massive damage. I finally pull it off and it wipes out everyone but the opponents Thor. It brings him down to 18 points. All I need is one match to win, but the only match on the board is an environment tile. Then on their turn the opponent triggers a red ability (2,900 damage), yellow (2,200 damage), and finishes with the green. My team was smoke.

I almost threw my phone across the room.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

msteelers wrote:Build up spider man or original black widow as soon as you can. It's a world of difference once you can reliably heal your characters. I'll often play a match against some hammer troops just so I can heal my guys up before jumping back into the mix.
Got an extra Spiderman to give me? Yep, I'm aware of them but I don't have a Spiderman and my OBW is level 16 and I can't get her any higher until I get another cover, whenever that my happen.
In the meantime, there is a mission in the venom single player campaign that can help you heal two characters at a time. I used it often until I got the right Spider-Man covers.
Yeah, I heard about that but that's just too much work - at least for now If I get frustrated enough I might do that but I'm not there yet :)
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Grifman wrote:
msteelers wrote:Build up spider man or original black widow as soon as you can. It's a world of difference once you can reliably heal your characters. I'll often play a match against some hammer troops just so I can heal my guys up before jumping back into the mix.
Got an extra Spiderman to give me? Yep, I'm aware of them but I don't have a Spiderman and my OBW is level 16 and I can't get her any higher until I get another cover, whenever that my happen.
I wish they would let us trade covers. I'm still hunting for spider-man blue covers, but I've sold a ton of yellow and purple covers. And I've probably collected and sold enough OBW covers to level up two characters.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

msteelers wrote:
Grifman wrote:
I wish they would let us trade covers. I'm still hunting for spider-man blue covers, but I've sold a ton of yellow and purple covers. And I've probably collected and sold enough OBW covers to level up two characters.
Damn, I could have really used the OBW covers. Yeah I wish we could trade them also but that would cut into the income I suspect.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

They just started a nice PvP tournament I might get into. Any hints about what I need to do? I'm not sure how the scoring works and I've read about after finishing a fight putting a second team up maybe? But I'm not sure of the how's and why's. Any advice?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't really get how the sharing works, but I just started playing this weekend and it look slike I only have 1 FB friend playing, so if anyone wants freebies or to share with a n00b I am f/coopasonic.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

Grifman wrote:They just started a nice PvP tournament I might get into. Any hints about what I need to do? I'm not sure how the scoring works and I've read about after finishing a fight putting a second team up maybe? But I'm not sure of the how's and why's. Any advice?
Hit skip until you found a match up that favors you, fight, rinse and repeat. I found it's tough to get in the nice rewards unless I play a lot but I always push for at least 300 points to get the 2-star recruit token. You can field as many teams as you like but I believe the last team played is what comes up when others match up against you. Sometimes I'll bring in a B team to take on a weak opponent but then I play my A team right afterwards.
Xfire/Xbox Live/Steam Tag: gwartok
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

Is it just me or is heroic mode brutal? Maybe I hit a tipping point but most matches out-level me and the toon restrictions don't help, I really don't have any good board shakers to deal with the @#$!%$ hammer rocket timers so if I don't get a good board I'm DOA.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Heroic mode is brutal, but that's the point. The irritating thing is that the guys at the top of my bracket have pathetic teams, but can grind through the missions because they are facing easier opponents and have less heal time for each hero.

I don't understand why the devs have scaling enemies for PVE. It makes it significantly harder on players who have built up a solid roster.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I have pretty much stopped playing. I am starting to feel like at the end of WoW when I was trying to grind out gear. It feels more like work than fun right now
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I have to admit that the hooks are starting to lose their grip on me. I'm suddenly getting destroyed by teams that I would have easily crushed just a week ago. I don't know if I'm on an unlucky streak or they did something to change way the AI plays, but it's stopped being fun and has felt like work. Combine that with the scaling enemies in the PVE events and I'm finding myself playing clash of clans far more than I am this.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Funny, I feel the same way. It's turned into a grind and with healing taking so long, I can't play more than 2 matches or so at a time.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Can someone explain how protect tiles work?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

They reduce damage by x amount per attack. Click on one and it should describe it in detail
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Here's my question about MPQ...when fighting groups like HAMMER where they don't do matches but just place down timers, how do they get their gems?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Damn, that one mission against Invisible Woman, the Punisher, and a Maggia Don is just about impossible. Unless you can kill IW very quickly it's game over. Once she gets her bubbles up it becomes impossible to kill a target because of the protection. Your matches don't do any damage and you can't do many matches because you can't move bubbled tiles. And if she goes invisible she becomes almost impossible to kill. One I had just her left and I couldn't kill her until I luckily matched her protected tile.
gwartok

Post by gwartok »

They added alliances with the last patch, I created "Octo" (OO was too short and Octopus Overlords was too long :roll:) if anyone is interested in joining up. They also added respecs.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

What's the advantage of an alliance?

I've playing Spirit Stones a lot on my iPad and it has kinda taken the place of marvel puzzle quest.

I might return though ^^
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

Nothing except for being able to view your alliance members rosters.

Looking at the forums, it looks like their trying to see if they can share rewards to alliance members and not just facebook friends (It may already be working). Also from the forums,

We've had a ton of questions about our plans for Alliances now that it's out in basic form as a feature, so I went ahead and put together a few things that we'll be rolling out for this feature. Note that there are no timelines for these, so they may be R49, R50, etc. but these are some of our near-term plans for Alliances. As a feature it'll likely be growing beyond this, so this is not the be all end all of the system.

Alliance Leaderboards - Players will be able to see the rankings of the different Alliances within tournaments. Certain events will have Alliances-based leaderboards where your rank and rewards are based on the performance of your team in the event.

Expand Alliances – Players will be able to spend Hero Points to expand their Alliance, adding more friends to their existing Alliance.

Private Alliances – Allowing players to create an exclusive Alliance that can only be joined with the Commander’s approval.

Chat – The ability to chat with other players in your Alliance to share tactics and discuss strategy.

More milking of hero points. :roll: Alliances are currently limited to 5.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I must have missed this in the tutorial part of the game, as it's seemingly such a core part, but what is the difference between "modern" and "classic" characters? And should I try to avoid overlap?

Specifically, it seems...wasteful for me to have two Hawkeye characters, one which is level 6 and the other level 7. Any way to delete extraneous characters and maybe get some points back?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

They have different abilities. I keep both as they sometimes have events that require one or the other. I believe the classic and modern terms just refer to the comics the artwork came from
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

You can sell extra characters and covers for ISO. There's a button that lets you do that. I think it has like a price tag on it???

My iPad is dead, so I can't double check.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

You can sell them back for those regular creds. I accidentally recruited a character twice I think, and was able to sell him back.

I'm mainly playing to keep my daily reward streak going, but i still find myself getting caught up in a few rounds of whatever special event is running.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Baroquen wrote:I accidentally recruited a character twice I think, and was able to sell him
I have restarted 3x because I also somehow double recruited, thinking I had done something wrong. Always ended up with 2 Hawkeyes in every game.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Baroquen wrote:I accidentally recruited a character twice I think, and was able to sell him
I have restarted 3x because I also somehow double recruited, thinking I had done something wrong. Always ended up with 2 Hawkeyes in every game.
That's because there *ARE* two Hawkeyes. There's the classic one with a set of powers and level cap and a modern one, with a completely different set of powers and level cap. Other than the name, they are different characters.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

IceBear wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:
That's because there *ARE* two Hawkeyes. There's the classic one with a set of powers and level cap and a modern one, with a completely different set of powers and level cap. Other than the name, they are different characters.
I get that now...but when I went to sell one (to hopefully get back some currency), I only had the option to sell one.

I guess what I want to do is to limit the amount of characters I have to build up those few with lots of perks and such, as opposed to spreading around my points too thinly to multiple heroes.

Any way to do that?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

When you click on a cover there should be an icon on the left side of the bottom row that looks like a price tag. Click on that and then confirm.

Personally, I would recommend against that selling off a different character (and I consider modern and classic versions of the same character different) completely. There are some missions that restrict you to one hawkeye or the other (for example), so if you sell off classic hawkeye and keep modern and the mission requires classic, you can't do it. I have a ton of characters I don't bother leveling because they don't fit my normal team, until suddenly they do (I finally got a yellow spiderman so suddenly the magneto that can make blue icons became a good match for my spiderman focused team so I started to level him). If I had sold him off I wouldn't have had that opportunity. Also, if I sold him off I would not have had him for some of the missions that required him in the recent events.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

IceBear wrote:When you click on a cover there should be an icon on the left side of the bottom row that looks like a price tag. Click on that and then confirm.

Personally, I would recommend against that selling off a different character (and I consider modern and classic versions of the same character different) completely. There are some missions that restrict you to one hawkeye or the other (for example), so if you sell off classic hawkeye and keep modern and the mission requires classic, you can't do it. I have a ton of characters I don't bother leveling because they don't fit my normal team, until suddenly they do (I finally got a yellow spiderman so suddenly the magneto that can make blue icons became a good match for my spiderman focused team so I started to level him). If I had sold him off I wouldn't have had that opportunity. Also, if I sold him off I would not have had him for some of the missions that required him in the recent events.
Ah ha. Good to know, thanks.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I don't sell off characters either. I have a ton of different heroes, though I only use a handful. I still keep my max Thor, and the silver Storm in my rotation. Used to use a Black Widow as my third, but now have rotated in a max Venom. Working on leveling the yellow Wolverine and the silver Magneto. (As you can tell, I can't remember the classic/modern/Now categories../sigh)

What is slightly irritating to me is getting a cool new, sometimes rare hero and not really using him/her because I never see another cover to power him/her up. I've got Hulk, Invisible Woman, Ares and some others, but I'm not paying Hero Points through the nose to make them usable.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Baroquen wrote:What is slightly irritating to me is getting a cool new, sometimes rare hero and not really using him/her because I never see another cover to power him/her up. I've got Hulk, Invisible Woman, Ares and some others, but I'm not paying Hero Points through the nose to make them usable.
This. I had Juggernaut, and specifically took him into tons of battles, but he never seems to be eligible to level up. I guess that is ONLY based on cover drops? (as opposed to actually being present or participating as part of the roster in a battle?)

I guess I just need to find a guide and STFU. Asking so many questions about a match three game is making me question my intellect.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

If you look at a hero in your roster it'll tell you the max level you can currently level with him. Basically it is capped by your powers, so if you only have level 1 in 1 power the hero might be capped to level 15. Get another level in that power (or a different power) and now you can level to 18 or so. It has nothing to do with them gathering xp or anything. There's also a hard cap based on the star rating of the hero. Juggernaut, for example, I believe is limited to level 40 or 50 (1 star heroes either have a maximum level of 40 or 50). You can't max out his level until you max out his powers (but I think there's a ton of covers for him in the single player campaign)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

IceBear wrote:Get another level in that power (or a different power) and now you can level to 18 or so.
First, thank you for your continued patience.
Second, I am only interested in the SP campaign (I assume all EVENTS are MP?)
Third, how exactly do I "get another level in that power"?

For instance, I had Juggernaut forever, and for whatever reason, I could never get him above Level 1. All the other heroes seemed to be leveling without issues. Is it a random drop thing maybe? Something I can influence (other than paying real money) to get more drops for his character?

I keep getting the feeling I am missing something key in all this. Shouldn't be so damn hard, brain!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Some of the events, like the one that ended today are PVE - single player. There is a multiplayer aspect to the scoring in that you are ranked against how well everyone else in your bracket did, but you don't actually fight other players' teams. I try to avoid the PVP ones myself as I tend to be outclassed badly and it's just an exercise in frustration for me :)

Ok, each cover you get for a character will be for a power. When you go to your roster they will list your covers. You will have an option to recruit (ie, add to your roster) or train. If you train then it will add that cover to your existing character and either add a new level to that power or add a new power. For example, Juggernaut has two powers (a green one and a red one). So, if you got a red Juggernaut cover then you added him to your roster at whatever character level he starts at (not all of them start at 1) with one star in his red power. It's possible he needs a second star in red or 1 in green before he can be leveled (look at the level cap in small print on one of the pages for him in the roster - think the second page where it shows his health and damage for matches). In order to level up his powers you need to 1) find a new Juggernaut cover and use it to train your existing cover (either by doing a single player mission that rewards covers) or getting a new one from using a recruit token that you get from a mission or daily reward, or 2) spend the coins needed to level his power (think for a 1 star character it's 500 coins per star, but only for ones you've unlocked with a cover - so if you haven't found a red cover you can't buy a rank in the red powers)
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

The solo events are the key to getting rare covers. The events power up certain characters, so like in this last event Psylocke was one of the powered up characters. So even at her power 1 which I think is level 15, using her in the event she had health points and match strength of level 40-ish (I think). She was a beast in the last event. Rode a team of her, Storm Classic, and Marvel Now Magneto to earn a lot of points and my first Punisher! :dance:

RE: Juggernaut - I know that there are Juggernaut covers in the second to last Venom solo mission. Just remember that most of the solo missions have 4 rewards, so you need to replay the mission to unlock the rewards.