Marvel Puzzle Quest

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

TazFTW

Re: Marvel Puzzle Quest

Post by TazFTW »

IceBear wrote:I try to avoid the PVP ones myself as I tend to be outclassed badly and it's just an exercise in frustration for me :)
You could always tank a tourney to lower your match maker rating. Use your lowest power characters, get smashed, and you'll eventually start getting bracketed with easier opponents.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Good tip...thanks
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Some tips:

1. Don't level up all your heroes. Only level those that are useful to you. Also don't waste your time on levelling a lot of the one star heroes. You only need one or two level to max level at the start once you get one two star level up you rarely need those one stars.

2. Pick your main damage dealer. That should be your primary focus. Then you choose another hero that complement that main damage dealer (if possible choose the second hero that don't use the same color as your main damage ability of the first hero and you want this second hero to complement the main one).

My strategy:

Right now my main damager is the two stars Storm. The support is the 2 stars magneto. Using those two I do very well in PvE special events. And also can win close to 100% of my match (when I iniitiate the battle, but defensively these two are not that good).

Storm's main damage ability is using blue power that stun one opponent and do good damage against all three. Storm has the green attack that can also generate AP which can help get the blue power, the third power is a passive which damage all enemies when the health of my heroes are down to certain level.

With only the two stars Storm, I can stun and take out one strong opponent and at the same time kill one or two others. So my strategy is to reduce the opponent health until they can be killed by the blue attack in one hit then switch to the other. Once I have enough to use the blue attack, I use it by targetting the enemy with the most health. This most of the time leave me with either one stunned opponent left or 1 stunned and one near death.

Storm's green ability is not that useful but can complement the blue by getting some extra blue power. If I have another hero that can do good damage using green then I usually don't use Storm's green power. Storm's third ability is very nice passive attack, as long as I can balance the damage so that Storm is the last to die then the passive ability can kick in and help me win the fight.

I had Storm for a while combine with 2 stars black widow which can heal and can steal power to help power Storm's blue attack. But once I got magneto level up from winning rounds in the last pve tournament, now Magneto is my main support hero for Storm.

Magneto's blue ability is the one that I don't use at all except when Storm dies first. Blue power is for Storm use.

Magneto's second ability is the greatest one. Using purple power you can turn up to 5 normal square to blue squares. This is a very dependable way to power up Storm. So instead of having to wait until Storm collect enough blue, I can now collect blue and purple. Once I have enough purple, that almost always earn enough blue for Storm's attack.

Magneto's third ability is red countdown that also destroy squares for additional damage. With this ability Magneto can do 1500 damage + random amount based on luck. At max, this countdown is only one turn. So if you use it then if the opponent doesn't destroy the countdown square, it'll hit after the opponent's move. While this is not the main damage dealer, it is extra damage whenever I have enough red.

With those two, I don't need the third hero to do anything other than absorb some damage.

I think the Magneto-Storm pair is useful when played by human player but the AI probably don't do as good with them. AI tend to waste the blue power with Magneto instead of saving it for Storm.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

The latest patch added Alliance Leaderboards and the ability to expand Alliance slots. 600 hero points for one! :grund: They said it is a let your wallet do the talking so if no one buys slots they will drop the price.

They also have Alliance Rewards up and running in the newest Fearless Defenders event. Problem is the Alliance score is cumulative, so bigger Alliances should get the better rewards.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

TazFTW wrote:The latest patch added Alliance Leaderboards and the ability to expand Alliance slots. 600 hero points for one! :grund: They said it is a let your wallet do the talking so if no one buys slots they will drop the price.

They also have Alliance Rewards up and running in the newest Fearless Defenders event. Problem is the Alliance score is cumulative, so bigger Alliances should get the better rewards.
Yeah... I was checking to see if we have an alliance, but guess not at that price. Can we even participate in that event if you aren't in an alliance? I'm guessing not.

On a good note, I just got my final Thor cover drop I needed to max level him to 85. My current go-to group is Thor, two-star Storm and usually max level Venom or a Black Widow. Gradually working up a pretty well powered two-star Wolverine (that red attack + his healing is nice), and Marvel Now! Magneto. Still have my daily streak going at day 143. 6 more days until a second X-Force wolverine cover.

I really detest the Crystal penalty for skipping a PvP opponent. Rarely play PvP stuff these days.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

Baroquen wrote:
Yeah... I was checking to see if we have an alliance, but guess not at that price. Can we even participate in that event if you aren't in an alliance? I'm guessing not.
We currently have Octo which had 1 spot open. The event has individual and alliance rewards, so you do not need to be in an alliance (or you can also create your own alliance which I believe is still free).
dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

Anyone have an alliance to join? I searched for 'octo', but can't find one.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I think Octo didn't show up because it's full now. I had to check the "Display Full Alliances" to see it.

Neat thing was seeing the roster of heroes everyone has.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I got addicted again ;_;.

Damn this thread! :D
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

Loving the Simulator event! Winning lots of iso and I'm currently top 10 in my bracket for both normal and hard modes. Not sure if I can hold on though as the opponents are getting more difficult and the nodes are awarding less points.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I like the simulator too. Haven't gotten addicted again, but still playing regularly.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

TazFTW wrote:Loving the Simulator event! Winning lots of iso and I'm currently top 10 in my bracket for both normal and hard modes. Not sure if I can hold on though as the opponents are getting more difficult and the nodes are awarding less points.

It sucks getting high up and then not being able to play at work ;_;

By the time I'm able to check it, I always drop too low to get back up again.
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have 2 covers about to expire, and only room for one in my inventory.

Yelena vs Juggernaut. If you had to choose one, which would you choose?

After that, are *either* of them worth leveling up or would it be a waste of resources?
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

If you don't want to buy another slot, I'd hold out for something better. I have occasionally received a 3 or 4 star cover from the basic recruit token. I am not a fan of either of them, but would probably pick Juggernaut if I had to. I am constantly getting covers for both of them so if they expire you should easily get another one
JC Anejo

Post by JC Anejo »

I would say neither as well.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, just sell them?

I'm still very low level and only have 2 or 3 two star heroes, who have no levels and no skills yet. I need to use something, although the game makes sure you have enough one stars when you start.

I can't afford another slot. So I have 2 recruits waiting and only 1 spot to put them in.

Does it cost money to put recruits into an inventory slot? I can't remember and am being lazy and asking here. Can I sell them from the staging area or do I need to put them in a slot then sell them? Is that an efficient way to do it, from an ISO stand point?

Still learning.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You will slowly gain coins that you can use to buy slots if you want. I think you can buy enough coins for $2 if you're not patient enough, but there's now a chance that the 1 star recruitment cards will give you coins, and the events sometimes give you coins.

It doesn't cost anything to put them in the slot, and you can sell them from the slot later if you want. To sell them just click on the icon that looks like a price tag... You can do it from the page where you recruit them or from your roster page.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

All done. Recruited Juggernaut and sold Yelena. Just got a CaptA in an event somehow. Not sure I understand the mechanics of the events, but it's slowly clearing up. Not sure why I'm struggling with the mechanics so much (obviously not the bejeweled part). I understand how leveling up the heroes work, as we as their skills. I understand that 3 skill heroes can spend a maximum of 13 skill points, and 2 skill heroes can spend...8? I think?
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

3 skilled are maxed at 13 covers. 2 skills are 10 covers. For the 3 skilled characters you can re-spec them when they're at 13. So if you have Iron Man Model 35 at 5 red/4 yellow/4 blue and you win a yellow cover. You can then re-spec him to 5/5/3.

If you do spend money on this game then use it to buy Hero Points and use the Hero Points to buy roster spaces. Any Hero Points that are awarded to you should be used for roster spaces. The more characters you have the more events you will be able to participate and potentially do well in.

For the beginner, the general advice is to focus on building a strong (maxed) 1-star team. Usually that would be Iron Man, Storm, and Black Widow. Juggernaut can be used to replace Iron Man as the tank of that team (but Iron Man is better). Once you have that strong 1-star team you should be doing well enough in events to win ISO and Hero Points such that you can start transitioning to a 2-star team. It should be noted that those 2-star characters take awhile to be effective, i.e. a 1-star Iron Man maxed at level 50 is better than a 2-star Wolverine at level 51.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Did better than I expected with some of the events this weekend. Luckily I had Thor so he was powered up.

I have CaptA but not the Steve Rogers version so the red (unstable?) ISO event wasn't as easy. I still have 7000+ red ISO while playing only casually off and on all weekend. Good enough for me.

I have Daken (I guess? Never heard of him before), Classic Storm and Moonstone waiting in the wings. I only have 75 hero points and no sign of any more for awhile, so I either need to sell off some 1 stars to make room or just let the 2 stars go.

I have no interest in Moonstone, but Daken sounds like he might work with some future teams. I don't know the difference between modern Storm and classic Storm so...no opinion yet.

I have mStorm at 4/1/4 but I hear she's better at 5/5/3 so it's good to hear that you can respec. I was seriously considering selling her and starting over. I don't mind losing the covers, but the iso used to level her up would suck.

Right now Ironman 35 is my highest at lvl 21. mBW and mStorm are my supports with the most skills. Both are level 11 I think.

I'm just getting started so things are a mess and the heroes are all over the place in terms of skills and levels.

Will try to figure something out.

I have not used any HP for anything other than hero slots, so that's good. Well, if the tutorial told me to use some for something else, I probably did it. Otherwise, I'm hoarding them like crazy.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

The classic storm has a passive power that damages the entire enemy team when you take damage, a green power like modern storm, and a blue power that can do damage to the entire team and stun the active enemy. She is very powerful if you can level her
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I already dumped juggernaut for CaptA (mistakenly assuming he would allow to play a couple of missions during the current event). Should I dump CaptA? He's the 2 star version, unleveled.

I'm probably not going to spend money on the game, and I knew it was going to be difficult once I started getting heroes I had no room for, but still annoying. I have a 3 star and a 2 star recruitment card sitting unused, since I don't want to have more 2/3 star heroes ticking away without a home.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

^The good news is that with today's (4/7) update, they decided to replace some of the random daily rewards with a 25 Hero Points reward. If it's something common (like once/twice a week) that would definitely help build a roster.

Daken is okay. I don't use him much but he's annoying to play against. There's going to be an upgraded Daken coming out soon. They recently had a press release for their 2 millionth download and announced that Human Torch (Classic) and Daken (Classic) were being added. Human Torch just got released so I'd expect the new Daken to be next.

Both Storms are pretty good. The 1-star is probably the best 1-star in the game. Classic Storm works best when partnered with Marvel Now Magneto (2-star). His purple power feeds her blue which is awesome.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

They might actually squeeze a few bucks out of me, which would be the first time ever I put money into a phone app. The hero slots + having new heroes waiting in the wings is pretty hard to resist.

I grabbed over 2500 iso, 50 HP and the Human Torch from the unstable ISO event. Not bad I thought considering I didn't have a single hero over lvl 20 at the time. The first 3 pvp matches in the hollowpoint event (I happen to have a gsbw somehow) were out of my league and I'm not spending iso to skip. I almost took down a similar but higher level team but then the big guns fired and it was over.

I had freed up a slot to decide on Daken or cStorm, but Johnny dropped right into it after the event, so I'm still left with some tough decisions. I'm only 25 HP away from another slot so if I can find a mission that coughs up HP I can at least get another hero without giving anyone up.

I kind of regret dropping Juggernaut for his Pvp defense strengths, but what can you do? It's gonna be a long time before I am doing anything but making due with what I have.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

GreenGoo wrote:The hero slots + having new heroes waiting in the wings is pretty hard to resist.
I know. Oh how I know. :oops:

The Hollowpoint Kiss event gives you a loaner GSBW. Not every event does that but it's nice that it enables everyone to participate.

Human Torch is going to be a required character in the next few events, so I would try to find a way to get him on your roster. There are hero points available in the prologue if you haven't grinded those missions yet. There's also a 100 hero point reward if you reach 450 progression in Shield Versus.

It looks like the new 25 hero point daily rewards happen on each day that ends in 1 unless those days already had a non-random (i.e. Heroic token) reward. So it is every 10 days give or take.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Any reason to keep Wolverine: X-force? I realize he's crap right now but for those playing for awhile what are your expectations for a buff in the future? If so, when? Since I got one fairly early, and he's pretty rare, he's going to take up a slot and not be productive for a long while. Do I hold onto him or just sell him off?

I got X-force wolv from a 2 star card, and ***Hulk from a 1 star card. Somewhat lucky I guess.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

If you need roster space, sell him. If you don't need the space for someone else, hold onto him and see if he is boosted for an event. With his rarity (and the odds decrease with every new release) even if you somehow get 13 covers, it'll take you 430,464 iso to max him. That is enough to max two 3-star and one 2-star with 15,412 iso left over. 4-stars are luxuries.

I haven't seen anything from the devs regarding his buff in a while. If the devs are looking at changing any of the existing characters then it's going to be focused on nerfing Spidey while keeping him playable.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Please don't nerf my Spiderman :-). Seriously he is broken, but he's the only reason I have won many a game... Him and classic magneto's purple power to make blue gems pretty much mean Spiderman can keep the opposite side stunned the whole match
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Spiderman has been consistently ranked number one by the player community over the last few patches. It's a shame that he will probably be nerfed before I can get him to a decent level. He's stuck at 15 until I can find another cover.

I understand that Thor was devastated by the nerf bat a little while back, but the consensus is that while it was poor for Thor andThor players, it was a very good change for the game in general. It's possible the same thing will be said of Spidey's nerf.

I don't have room in my roster for X-force wolverine. I would have to make room for him. So I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. I mean, I have heroes that are mostly just taking up space, but that's all xWolv will be doing too, for the foreseeable future. Then again, Rare 4 star! Yeah, it's crap from a practical standpoint, it's still a bit of a lottery winning.

edit: typos galore.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Oh, it probably will force people to change up their teams...they hit wolverine and thor with the nerf bat a few patches ago and at the time pretty much all you saw on the opposing teams were those two. I don't really see a lot of Spiderman covers on the opposing teams when I do battle with them. Honestly, I think all they really need to do is increase the blue it takes to stun. I got lucky the other day and got my 5th blue cover off a 1 star token. Now it just takes 2 blue to stun. If I can get two 3 blue matches in the first couple of turns I have enough blue to stun the entire other team (stunning the most troublesome one last so he's stunned the longest). If I can get a lot of pink and blue before they can wake up I can keep them stunned (using the pink for Magneto's power to make blue gems) for the entire match. Even better I can usually get enough yellow that I can heal all the damage I took before I stun locked the other team so there's no downtime. Only time I've had trouble is if Magneto gets killed fast.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I still use my 85 Thor, and didn't think the nerf was that bad. Yeah, he was crazy before, but he's still valuable. Can take a lot of punishment, especially if buffed for an event, and can still deal major damage to all three opponents. That and Storm's blue team blast works well for me. Then a stun/heal like a Black Widow is usually my third. But I've been tempted to try that Magneto as a combo for Storm. Upon your suggestions, I might try it.

I'm also itching to get in an alliance for the extra rewards. Anyone have an extra slot? And do I have it right that it costs 2500 to start a new alliance? That's not that bad to grind, imo. Might have to buckle down and just join a random public one. /shrug
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The last community ranking had Thor at #10, out of 35 heroes being rated at the time. That's pretty good. I'm sure some people were pissed, but #10 is still high up there.

I'm struggling with transitioning to **heroes. I just don't have enough room in my roster, and while I can chip away at my *heroes to make room, I can't just throw them all away, since the **heroes won't be strong enough until they get more covers and iso.

It's a bit frustrating, having to manage the small amount of room you have for heroes at the beginning, but I realize that's part of the game.

I have 2 separate teams going. one on my phone and one on my pc. I got REALLY lucky (I didn't realize how lucky at the time) on my phone with the event(s) that gave away the Human Torch, with lots of covers, iso and an actual Torch cover. My PC game is struggling a little. It has better heroes available for the future, but less strong *heroe team.

I can definitely see the hooks of this game after playing awhile. I'm enjoying it. Chomping at the bit to start leveling some of my ** and ***heroes. I do "ok" in the events. Keeping my guys healthy for more than 2 fights is a bit tough right now, but that's ok.

I have a bunch of top 10 heroes sitting in my roster waiting to be leveled or in my recruitment area, waiting for a roster slot. I *will* eventually have a few strong teams. I'm just not doing well enough to get more ** and *** covers right now.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oh yeah. I'm not itching to get into an alliance, but certainly would fill in a slot for someone if they had space and needed a player. So if anyone is looking, take baroquen first, but keep me in mind, please.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I just made an alliance instead. "O.Overlords". Not sure how to invite Goo, but feel free to join. Or, anyone tell me how to invite, and I can do that. Default is 5 slots?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

ok. I think I show up as GreenGoo. Which surprised me that they could take it. Not sure how they are doing unique identifiers, although it's probably tied to the device somehow.

I'll look into joining tonight. If alliances require a lot of extra effort on the players part, I might have to bail though. I play the game as I have time, which is usually between chores and kids and stuff.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

They don't really. Your alliance gets ranked as members play the various events. I've been getting stuff for events I've barely touched.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. I play at least once a day, to keep my daily gift streak intact, and sometimes I'll like an event and play a burst. It's my game of choice, when I'm stuck somewhere with only my phone. But that's about it. Shouldn't be a problem whether we play a lot or a little.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Does it cost real cashy money to allow more folks into the alliance?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's 2400 ISO to set one up, and they're capped at people.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, it was like 2400 or 2500 crystals to set it up. We've got space for 5 people to start. It would cost 600 Hero Points to expand to six.

Right now, we've got Isgrimnur and myself in the alliance. GreenGoo might be interested in a spot. So we've got two more spots for anyone that plays. The spots don't cost anything and right now, they're just going to waste.