Marvel Puzzle Quest

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Marvel Puzzle Quest

Post by GreenGoo »

If I wanted to, say, *cough* increase my slots with cash money, what's the best way to go about it? I haven't looked at the HP to cash ratio, or if there is any benefit between buying slots earlier vs later etc.

Any opinions before I get home tonight?
docD

Post by docD »

I didn't realize there was a OO Alliance for this, I'll try to join now. In game name Saloric.
docD

Post by docD »

It seems all of our alliances are full so I created a new one: Ooverlords
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

docD wrote:It seems all of our alliances are full so I created a new one: Ooverlords
Can I join it with my second game, that I'm running on my phone? Or is that too greedy?

Maybe I'll wait a few days and see if it fills up or not. Yeah, that's a better idea. I'll check in again in a few days to see if there are any spots left.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

EzeKieL wrote:I disagree with Bag-man being useless
Inconceivable! :)

Very limited use and once you get OBW, particularly once you get her 5th blue so that she heals and adds to countdown timers, he then becomes useless. If I didn't have OBW, I'd probably use mStorm and hope that she either shatters them with her green or sets up matches with her red.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

GreenGoo wrote:If I wanted to, say, *cough* increase my slots with cash money, what's the best way to go about it? I haven't looked at the HP to cash ratio, or if there is any benefit between buying slots earlier vs later etc.

Any opinions before I get home tonight?
Only benefit I see to opening the slot early is if they decide to raise the price per slot. You could also wait for a sale, they had one for Valentine's day and their 2 Millionth download (March?). It's possible they'll be one for either Mother's day or Memorial Day. Maybe it'll be part of the Steam sale. They don't drop the prices, they give you "bonus" HP.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, good info on the sales for HP.

Off to a rough start tonight. A team wiped on first fight. B team wiped on second fight. Now I either wait hours or use health packs. I like to hoard stuff, so wait it is.

Bad luck all around in PvE matches.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Tip, if you have completed the last mission in the Venom series, you can replay it with your wounded and try to heal them with Spiderman. Can shave some time off waiting for them to heal
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I take my A team to the tougher of the Yelena missions. Things go my way, and I lose about 700 hp on Jug, 300 hp on IM35 and 200 hp on mBW. Pretty good. Everyone still has a ton of health, so I run it again. This time nothing goes my way. I can't get rid of the countdowns to save my life. At 1 point 5x116 attack tiles are up. My A team wipes just after managing to kill 1 guy.

I hate these missions so much, but I want the rewards! I just don't have the right heroes at the right levels to handle it easier.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Steam pack, 10 bucks for 600 HP (maybe 3 slots at this level) and 1500 iso (which is almost, but not quite, nothing).

Not happening.

Yet.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

TazFTW wrote:
EzeKieL wrote:I disagree with Bag-man being useless
Inconceivable! :)

Very limited use and once you get OBW, particularly once you get her 5th blue so that she heals and adds to countdown timers, he then becomes useless. If I didn't have OBW, I'd probably use mStorm and hope that she either shatters them with her green or sets up matches with her red.
If I take magneto and storm modern, I want to use the blue for storm, and not use it on OBW so yeah, the yellow of bag-man comes in handy then ^^.
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Joined the Ooverlords ^^
docD

Post by docD »

Welcome to the team!
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

Falcon and mStorm are getting adjustments that they're shooting for a release by the end of the week.
Falcon: Inspiration
Old ability:

Inspiration - Yellow Passive
Falcon spreads his wings, motivating his teammates as he swoops into the fight. When the team makes a yellow match, Falcon improves the strength of 3 friendly Protect, Strike, or Attack tiles by 10 percent.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Improves friendly tiles by 15 percent.
Level 3: Improves friendly tiles by 20 percent.
Level 4: Improves friendly tiles by 25 percent.
Level 5: Improves friendly tiles by 30 percent.

New ability:

Inspiration - Yellow Passive
Falcon spreads his wings, motivating his teammates as he swoops into the fight. When the team makes a yellow match, Falcon improves the strength of 2 friendly Protect, Strike, or Attack tiles by 7.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Improves friendly tiles by 8.
Level 3: Improves friendly tiles by 10.
Level 4: Improves friendly tiles by 13.
Level 5: Improves 3 friendly tiles by 13.
Max Level: Improves 3 friendly tiles by 79.

Modern Storm
Old Ability: Lightning Strike - Green 10 AP Level 5: Shatters 16 tiles.

New Ability: Lightning Strike - Green 10 AP Level 5: Shatters 14 tiles.
Nerfs are coming...
I just did a post on a couple other changes going in for Falcon and Storm (Modern). Spider-Man (Classic) and Magneto (Classic) are both on the block still, with Spider-Man fairly close to completion. We just did another round at the start of this week on what we think is his final balance. I don't want to reveal anything quite yet though since this last pass revealed a nice little exploit that means one of the abilities is likely getting refactored *again*. I'd rather not post stats then have to post a different set a few days later. Doesn't help anyone really.
Judging by that comment I'd expect Spidey to be nerfed by month's end. Buffs to mHawkeye, X-Force, and Loki are further down the road.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I don't have Falcon (although having him for the event was insightful) so I don't care what happens to him. mStorm is not a huge game changer, so she'll survive. I probably won't even notice a difference, given that my teams are whatever still has enough health for another fight.

I have been highly anticipating Spiderman since I started playing th game. I think the nerf will make me sad even though it won't have any material impact on my gameplay, since I don't have enough covers for a working Spiderman yet anyway.

I did get a second Black Panther cover from a 1 star card, which was a pleasant surprise. Still not even close to being useable, but it's a start.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Spiderman is hard to get :(. I've been waiting for aaaaaaages on his yellow skill but no luck so far :/
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I've realized that my best chance for 2 and 3 star covers is to gather as many 1 star covers as I can and hope for the best.

Pure luck when opening a 1 star cover is about the best I can hope for. Fun.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And keep working the events. I've finished a few events with getting either a 2-star drop or two 1-star drops.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yep, the lightning rounds can payoff big time if things go well.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

GreenGoo wrote:I've realized that my best chance for 2 and 3 star covers is to gather as many 1 star covers as I can and hope for the best.

Pure luck when opening a 1 star cover is about the best I can hope for. Fun.
You're in luck...
Beginners and Intermediate Agents rejoice! Today's data patch is targeted at improving your ability to improve your roster of heroes and bring the fight to Osborn and your fellow Agents. This patch isn't *quite* out yet, but should be going Live a little later today.

Gameplay

-Added in new random rewards for finishing Versus battles. In addition to the normal 70/140 Iso-8 rewards, it is now possible to pull any 1* or 2* character. These Comic Cover rewards are balanced in frequency so that the overall Iso-8 rewards assuming that you sell all covers is equal to the previous rewards in Versus.
- Adjusted odds of 2* characters in the Standard Pack upwards by 20% compared to their earlier odds. These extra odds were taken from the 1* character odds, so 3*+ odds are unaffected.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

Heroic Osborn is currently borked. There was a community point total that needed to be met to open up some more nodes. The devs were thinking it would take 2 1/2 days to complete but we were on pace to finish it in 10 hours. So they moved the goal posts which messed things up.
Alright. So it's 11:22 Boston time and there has been no concrete plan put into place at the moment. Even if a plan was put into play, if it requires action it also requires further engineer interaction for the next several hours and tomorrow morning, which is untenable. I would not expect movement on this until tomorrow.

What I would suggest is to at least earn some points on this refresh of mission pins that everyone has available now so that you don't miss out on any currently available points. If it's the case that the event resets, you've earned some progression rewards. If it gets rolled back, same. If nothing happens, you'll at least have some points out of this refresh that you wouldn't if you wait. I simply don't have a "this is what we're looking to do" right now. I apologize for being the bearer of the bad news in that I have no immediate solution at this time. However, that's currently where this issue stands.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Can I assume with the Oscorp event being point dependent rather than on a timed schedule, that the PvE strategy changes?

I've been trying to understand the PVE guide but I admit it's just slightly out of my grasp. I feel like I almost have it...but not quite.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

Sort of. If you know when the event/sub ends you know that your biggest push should happen in the final 2 hours. So if the event ends at 9pm, you know you should make a push in that 7-8:59 period. If you know you can play during that time then you know to not play in the 12 hours before that so that your nodes are fully refreshed. And because you're not playing during those 12 hours, you'll drop down the standings which would increase your rubberbanding bonus.

With the subs ending based on points, the community decides when it ends. Which makes it harder to time your refreshes. I kinda like it. It brings some randomness/chaos to things.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If I'm reading the ranking/rewards for the latest pvp that finished, instead of ranking slightly poorer and getting 3 x 1 star covers, I will get 1 x **bullseye.

Sigh. I would have preferred the random chance at something decent with the 3 x one star covers. Bullseye is nothing but iso fodder for me. :?
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

GreenGoo wrote:If I'm reading the ranking/rewards for the latest pvp that finished, instead of ranking slightly poorer and getting 3 x 1 star covers, I will get 1 x **bullseye.

Sigh. I would have preferred the random chance at something decent with the 3 x one star covers. Bullseye is nothing but iso fodder for me. :?
Yeah, I've been in the same position where I hope/plan to fall spots to avoid the "better" reward. Strange system.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And that's what happened. Which is fine. I'll try to keep that in mind for the future. Right now it's a struggle just to try to finish in a position that I get something out of these events. My phone game had a couple of lucky covers and is doing pretty well. My desktop game (part of the O.Overlords alliance) has not been so lucky and is struggling a bit. I should note that I put more effort in the event with my desktop game and actually placed better on my desktop than with my phone, but since my phone got covers that are random it actually turned out better. So despite placing higher on my desktop, my phone game improved more.

If that **Bullseye had been **Thor or something, I certainly wouldn't be complaining about not getting my 3x one star covers. It's just the nature of this kind of game. Not too frustrating, but a little.

I'm starting to see that the best strategies are to play at certain times, not when I have free time and/or want to. That sucks a bit. I'm willing to make an effort to conform the the game's schedule, but I'm not going to plan my life around when it's optimal to play. That's a shame that the game has it's own schedule, rather than playing on my own and still doing well.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I always play when I want to. That might mean I won't get the big prizes but every match gets you ISO so that helps in the long run + you hit the rewards too.

You can never have too much ISO
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

For rookies such as myself, reaching the 300 level in pvp events gives you a 2 star cover. If you're not (too) worried about placing high (which you can't anyway, given that your roster is not competitive, yet) then join the event early, gain as many points as you can as early as you can. It's fairly easy since people haven't started to compete for high rank yet. It seems like even in PvP there is a race near the end of the event for points (although probably driven by slightly different mechanics). If you get in early enough, you can hit 300 points relatively painlessly, even if it takes you mutliple playing sessions.

A guaranteed 2 star cover is like mana from heaven for me as I'm trying to transition from 1 star teams to 2 star teams. Definitely worthwhile.

As you can imagine, as you gain more covers for powerful heroes, you start to do better and better. Since I started my phone game first, I'm ahead of my desktop game. There is a HUGE performance difference between my phone game and my desktop game, despite them being fairly close in rosters. Just because my phone has an extra cover or two for some of my two star heroes.

On my phone my highest level hero is now a 2 star, finally surpassing my lvl 50 IM35. My second highest is also a 2 star. And if those are powered up for an event, the difference between a rookie hero powered up and a developed hero powered up is huge, in both point generation and survivability (for more plays per hp pool).

Oh, and I agree about ISO. I've finally hit a spot where the limiting factor was not covers, but ISO. My highest 2 star hero is not maxed for levels yet, simply because I don't have enough ISO to reach the current max level, plus, I like to save some ISO in case one of my lower level characters gets a cover and would improve them significantly by leveling up.

So I'm in the grey area between covers being the limited resource and ISO being the limited resource. Not enough to be frustrating, yet.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I've got a 3 star thor, but only 1 cover. I have a couple of other 3 star heroes, also with only 1 cover. Yet the 3 stars (literally the 3 star graphic element) are flashing on the Thor hero, but none of the other 3 star heroes are flashing like that.

Any clue what this means? It's on the desktop version, if that helps.

It's kinda bugging me, since it's clearly intentional, and must mean something, but I haven't a clue as to what.

Oh, and it's also my only gold character. Gold characters are basically enhanced versions of the same hero from a lower star class. Thor 2 star and 3 star have the exact same skills, whereas 2 star Magneto and 3 star magneto do not. 3 star thor is a gold character. 3 star magneto is a rare character.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

It's because he's a gold character. Steve Rogers and Thor are the only ones with the glowing stars.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

TazFTW wrote:It's because he's a gold character. Steve Rogers and Thor are the only ones with the glowing stars.
Ok, thanks.

So I just read that heal packs regen up to 5, with 1 added every 38 minutes until you hit the 5 cap.

So I've been playing for weeks while hoarding health packs and waiting patiently for my heroes to heal over time.

I probably should rtfm or something, at some point.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

Every 36 minutes and you're not alone. I had about 20 health packs stored when I found out about the refreshing.

I found this thread to be helpful. Some of it is outdated (at first glance 8 & 17 no longer happen) but it still contains some useful information.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks a bunch. Will read up.

Not having any luck with my desktop game. I have like 6 venom covers sitting in the wings. In my phone game I've already leveled Venom to max, used him then sold him for something better. I'm not spending ISO on him in my desktop game when my phone game taught me he won't be useful for very long (he was useful though).

I'm still working with all 1 star heroes, and a maxed out juggernaut is a star right now. Sad. I only need one or two covers for 1 or 2 other heroes and they'd jump in usefulness. So far, no luck though.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I gamed my way into a Top 75 finish on the Tower mission to get 3 standard covers rather than try for the one 2-star.

Magneto (Blue) - I'd never seen before
Iron Man 35 (Yellow) - he's maxed out, sell
Storm Modern (Grey) - my first of that color, getting me all three activated.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And I just got a 4-star Invisible Woman off a Loki 2-star point reward. That got me to spend $2 for HP to open a new slot.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Unfortunately both 4 star heroes (IW and x-force wolv) are still sub-par heroes, even after 1 buff pass by the developers.

Not to mention their rarity. You're likely to have that 1 cover sitting in that slot for a LONG time. I eventually sold my x-force wolverine. Even if he got buffed enough to be decent (would have to be better than wolv (Patch), who is pretty awesome) he would still be months and months before I had enough covers for him to be usefl.

And speaking of covers. The daily reward today gave me a 2 star thor, which was enough to move his max level from 30 to 38. That's a pretty huge jump in effectiveness. That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for that I mentioned in my previous post. Cost me about 5k ISO to level him, but totally worth it.

I'm playing better in that I'm more aware of what gives what, where to push early or where to wait. I guess it adds an additional strategic layer, but it's kind of fiddly. I should be pushing hard at the latest lightning round, but I'm at work so I'll just have to forget about it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, I figured that it would be a looooong time before I could do anything decent with her, but I didn't want to sell or lose it.
Why the hell am I playing a game that's based on a rarity scale? I swore to myself years ago that I wouldn't do that again, and yet here I am. :grund:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I am a major gamble junkie. If they get the balance right, I'm more than happy to open 4 million covers hoping to get the one I need/want.

And the've done the pay model better than most, for me. I'm not paying for covers, I'm paying (for HP, for hero slots) so I can keep the covers I've already found. That's a big distinction for me. I still haven't given them any money yet, but I HP are slowing down, so chances are the next "really good" hero I find will have me kicking in a few bucks so I can keep him.

I've already sold off my 1 cover of the Hulk. Made me sad. I don't like being sad. I can feel the purse strings loosening already.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I don't like the steep price of hero slots though, it's up to 500 gold for 1 now :o.
TazFTW

Post by TazFTW »

Spider-nerf, Spider-nerf, doing whatever a Spider-nerf does.
Old Ability:

Web Bandages - Yellow 13 AP
Spider-Man makes make-shift slings of webbing for his friends. Removes all Web tiles, and all allies heal 118 health for every Web tile removed (minimum 118, maximum 1892).
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Costs 1 AP less.
Level 3: Costs 1 AP less.
Level 4: Costs 1 AP less.
Level 5: Costs 1 AP less.
Max Level: Heals 741HP per web tile (up to 11864HP)

Updated Ability:

Web Bandages - Yellow 12 AP
Spider-Man webs makeshift slings, healing his team for 142. If 3 or more Web tiles exist he converts them to bandages, healing his team for an additional 149.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Increases base healing to 199.
Level 3: Increases base healing to 256.
Level 4: Increases base healing to 312.
Level 5: Increases base healing to 369.
Max level 141 5/5: Heals for 2314 with an additional 934 with 3 Web tiles.[/u]

Level 85 5/5: 1534 base healing + 619 with Web tiles = 2153 max healing
Compare to Black Widow (Original) max level - 1228 healing

This ability went through the most changes in design. It went from a numbers tweaked version of its old self, which was either underpowered or overpowered solely based on how well it worked with All Tied Up. To remedy this, it went to an easier to balance self heal that threw out group heals if enough Web tiles on the board. This worked better but didn't feel very Spider-Man-like. In order for it to feel good enough to use, it had to be so powerful in the heal that Spider-Man felt more like Phoenix, rising from the ashes. Eventually, it morphed into the current form.

In this form, the ability is still somewhat of a high cost, so it's not a simple matter to throw out healing. This enables players to go into an AP denial mode against an opponent using Spider-Man and prevent them from easily healing the team. At the same time, it benefits from using All Tied Up without full on requiring the ability to be used multiple times in order to be useful. This allows players to feel like the ability is useful on its own without completely tying it to another ability that with its own changes makes it not a 100% relied upon source of power.

Older Ability:

All Tied Up - Blue 6 AP
Spider-Man wraps up the target in webbing, adding a new Yellow Web tile to the board and then stunning the enemy for 1 turn for each Web tile on the board (to a maximum of 5 turns).
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Costs 1 AP less.
Level 3: Costs 1 AP less.
Level 4: Costs 1 AP less.
Level 5: Costs 1 AP less.

Updated Ability:

All Tied Up - Blue 5 AP
Spider-Man slings webs, stunning the enemy for 1 turn. He then adds a Yellow Web tile to the board.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: +1 turn of stun if 3 Web tiles exist
Level 3: +1 turn of stun if 2 Web tiles exist
Level 4: +1 turn of stun if 1 Web tile exists
Level 5: +1 or +2 turns of stun when 1 or 2 Web tiles exist

This change is less extreme than the one to Web Bandages, but still serves to bring this ability into line with the other Stuns in the game. The ability remains low cost and able to quickly ramp up in effectiveness given the increasing number of Web tiles on the board. This encourages players to constantly use the power instead of hoarding it for a burst as it is often used at current. Each level of the ability now greatly adds to its utility, making Level 5 highly valuable in increasing the effectiveness of the ability. At that level, a three turn Stun and the low cost enables Spider-Man to keep up a perma-stun on the opponent with enough matches available, someone feeding Blue AP, or a cache of available Blue AP. So it's still a possibly powerful ability in the hands of a player/team that is geared to take advantage of it. However, unlike previously it does not allow Spider-Man to lock down an enemy for each and every Blue match that is made, often deciding the battle's course with a single Blue match.

Older Ability:

Spider-Sense - Purple Passive
(PASSIVE) Spider-Man's senses tingle and he moves to protect his team. If there aren't any friendly Purple Protect tiles, he creates one when his team matches Purple tiles. New Protect tile Strength is based on the number of Web tiles in play.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Creates up to 2 Purple Protect tiles.
Level 3: Increases base Protect Strength by 25%
Level 4: Creates up to 3 Purple Protect tiles.
Level 5: Increases base Protect Strength by 25%
Max Level: Damage reduced by 66 per Protect tile with 0 Web tiles on board (up to 446 per Protect tile with 5 Web tiles on board).

Updated Ability:

Spider-Sense - Purple Passive
(PASSIVE) Spider-Man's senses tingle and he moves to protect his team. If there aren't any friendly Purple Protect tiles, he creates one when his team matches Purple tiles. New Protect tile Strength is based on the number of Web tiles in play.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Creates up to 2 Purple Protect tiles.
Level 3: Increases base Protect Strength by 25%
Level 4: Creates up to 3 Purple Protect tiles.
Level 5: Increases base Protect Strength by 25%
Max Level 141 5/5: 20/54/115/210 Protect tiles depending on Web tiles on board.

This ability was untouched in form but the numbers were rebalanced a bit. The max number of Web tiles needed for this skill was reduced from 5 to 3 with the lower end of the Protect tile strengths being brought down as well. This makes the ability one that you want to start triggering Web tiles for immediately instead of just working with what you get, as the higher end Protect tiles can make a real difference. However, the top end for the old ability was a bit too high, allowing Spider-Man to make Protect tiles that rivaled the highest cost Protect oriented abilities, much less a Passive.
The changes should be going live next week. I have Spidey but he's only 2/1/2 (I think) and I hardly used him so I don't have any real thoughts on the matter.