[Kickstarter] Darkest Dungeon

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

NickAragua

Re: [Kickstarter] Darkest Dungeon

Post by NickAragua »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:00 pm I'm also staring at an "opportunity" to kill a Miller. Having looked that up, I'm not at all tempted to get slaughtered by him just yet.
Yeah. At this point, I can barely squeak by to the second "break" between endless waves on that level. Granted, I still don't have all the level 4 blacksmith and adventurer guild upgrades, so I might do better once I get those. Still, the idea of fighting a boss that can one-shot my guys to death's door right away while summoning extra bad guys doesn't quite appeal.

It's not a bad idea to actually go in there though, because you can still rack up crystals. And crystals allow you to build some district buildings, one of which is an upgrade to the stacking limits for the various crests, deeds, etc. So I might just grind out a few more rounds in there, but I'll still abort before hitting the miller.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I totally forgot about being able to abort in there. Does it incur a huge stress penalty?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I can't say it's anything I've noticed. I mean, every time I go in there I lose a guy and gain a bunch of negative quirks, but that's beside the point. :ninja:
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:07 pm I totally forgot about being able to abort in there. Does it incur a huge stress penalty?
Everything seems to imply no. But I suffer a pride a penalty that and I forget retreat is an option.

I also keep not starting the Crimson Curse because it opens a story line I don't want to open. More than that is too spoilery.

Nick with regard to invitations if you so choose
Spoiler:
You don't need to hit the courtyard. You will eventually see the butler guys in the regular dungeons as the curse grows and they will drop invitations.
I want to continue this game but ONI has my attention now and there is not enough gaming time in any single day to divide my attention between two games. So I'll just have to read here for now until I can return.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

aaand uninstalled. Got to "The Hag" boss. Up until that point, everything was going smooth.

Suddenly:
Spoiler:
Here's a boss, where, without fail, every round goes like this:
Step 1: Put one of your guys into "the pot", where they take 3 damage every action until someone does 21 damage to the pot or they go to death's door.
Step 2: Heal herself for 10 to 20 points.
I couldn't keep up with the damage, and then we failed a retreat and three guys died.

Screw that. I'm out.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

She's annoying, no doubt - but not the worst boss.

The bosses are mostly about finding the right party to fight them. When I took her on, I think I had a Bleed party by default, because it was my best - but it also proved effective against her. I think I was using the Occultist, Jester, Leper, and Flagellant. The Flagellant is even a healer when he's below 40% health, and has Bleed attacks that can hit both the front two and back two slots. The Leper is a good damage soak that has his own self-heal. The Jester just keeps everyone sane and can do some bleeding to the middle two slots - which includes the boss.

Bleed or Blight damage stacking is almost a must against most bosses. You need to be able to hurt them even on the turns where you can't attack them.

... but yeah - Bosses are real kicks in the jimmies. It's not uncommon for party wipes on some of them. Even when you're prepared. Your heroes are supposed to be relatively disposable, even though you spend a lot of time and effort honing them.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paingod wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:04 am She's annoying, no doubt - but not the worst boss.

The bosses are mostly about finding the right party to fight them.
This and then remembering on future runs what to bring. My first encounter with a boss is generally a huge hitter row followed by strong in the second with bleed and blight in the back. Ideally I have the blight guy first and the flagellent second. If I'm not good enough to fight the snakes while resting with the blight guy, I'll choose the leper first. If no leper than the Man at Arms. If no man at arms then the Crusader. If no Flagellent 2nd then I put in the highwayman. 3 and 4 depend on who 1 and 2 are as I need healing and stress reduction of some sort. Then after the first round I remember who I'm up against. I'm not sure which boss I hate the most. Early game, ei level 1-3, it's probably it's the miniboss in the courtyard, whom I won't detail here. I had not idea it was coming and what totally unprepared for it.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, I'll probably come back to it at a later point in time, as it's a fun game with a lot of depth to it, but that was pretty obnoxious and I got way too pissed off, so I definitely need a break.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Teaser...

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Loved the first one, and really looking forward to that, but I do hope they make the late game a little less painful in the sequel.
Holman

Post by Holman »

PC Gamer claims to have first details (but they're pretty slim).
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I saw that news about the sequel today too. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I enjoyed a lot about the original game, but the difficulty was such that to lose heroes so easily after putting a good amount of time getting them to be worthwhile in the first place... I think I avoided the first one after awhile, because I knew that frustration loomed. But I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Holman wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:21 pm PC Gamer claims to have first details (but they're pretty slim).
TL;DR:
- Combat will be largely the same, but streamlined and improved
- Meta campaign will be much different focusing on a "journey" not "cleaning up your backyard"
- Will come to early access for tweaking and feedback before full release
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Depending on the price point, I'll bite. It's hard to think about paying typical full price model for more of the same but I love the heart and soul and art and... the narrator... and want to encourage these sorts of projects.

I only played on easy, so I never had a problem with difficulty. I also never finished the base game, never finished the vampire expansion, never finished the color from outerspace expansion, and purchased the character content DLC. All but the base game were purchased at full price and I feel it was money well spent.
- Meta campaign will be much different focusing on a "journey" not "cleaning up your backyard"
The trailer felt LotR (I don't know why), so that is what I figured.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I love the art, I love the design style, the narration, I even played it a fair bit at first. For some reason I drifted away earlier than I expected and have never returned, despite trying to do so a few times. Even writing this makes me want to play it, although I probably won't.

I think this is one of the few games I paid full price while it was in beta (well, the advertised price I mean, rather than waiting for a sale).

I doubt I'll even pick up the second one, let alone pre-order/full price it.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm going to stay clear of the sequel until it hits sale price. I've tried Darkest Dungeon several times, and what happens every single time without fail is I take a couple of crews through some ungodly number of missions, then they all get the crimson curse, I run out of blood and everyone dies. And then I basically have to start over, except 90% of the missions are now for level 3 and 5 guys, of which I have none left.

I enjoyed it quite a bit up to that point though.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:50 pm I'm going to stay clear of the sequel until it hits sale price. I've tried Darkest Dungeon several times, and what happens every single time without fail is I take a couple of crews through some ungodly number of missions, then they all get the crimson curse, I run out of blood and everyone dies. And then I basically have to start over, except 90% of the missions are now for level 3 and 5 guys, of which I have none left.

I enjoyed it quite a bit up to that point though.
I don't know if there is a right or wrong approach and I also played on the easy setting but I never had that problem. My approach to the game and what was fun for me what building a stable of heroes, I think the cap was something like 27. And then I'd spend time mixing and matching. I'd have 4 or 8 top tier heroes but I could go down the line plugging and playing as they get too stressed out (I'd rarely pay for stress relief).

Still, with all the time leveling and expirementing with that many heroe's I never even finished the second map in the Crimson Curse, nor did ever venture in to the Darkest Dungeon.