[Kickstarter] Chaos Reborn by X-Com Co-Creator

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hepcat

Re: [Kickstarter] Chaos Reborn by X-Com Co-Creator

Post by hepcat »

I'm taking your word for it as I just bought it based on your accolades here. If it sucks though, I'm going to give you such the verbal dressing down when next we meet.
He won. Period.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat wrote:I'm taking your word for it as I just bought it based on your accolades here. If it sucks though, I'm going to give you such the verbal dressing down when next we meet.
Sounds like a win win to me. I love verbal dress downs.

Wait, was that directed at Coldsteel? :oops:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You, pal. I will give you such the tongue lashing at Octocon if this game sucks.
He won. Period.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

You're in for a real treat at Octocon ColdSteel. Hepcat's tongue tickles like a kitty cat's.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We've renamed the event "Octocon Coldsteel"?

Wait...that seriously needs to be the name of a new super villain.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Steelheart, by Brandon Sanderson. Even set in Chicago.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I think Hepcat is well aware of Steelheart, he's a member of the band.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

You people are freaking me out! :D
:violence-axechase:
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We're just gettin' warmed up, my man. No one has even mentioned Bea Arthur yet.

p.s. played for a bit just now. It reminds me of the old Battle Chess game mixed with a ccg. Quite fun so far!
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Did someone just put up the tgbsignal?

I haven't played with the latest build yet, but I'd be up for an OO async game if 3 others are.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

tgb wrote:Did someone just put up the tgbsignal?

I haven't played with the latest build yet, but I'd be up for an OO async game if 3 others are.
I'll play.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Great. We just need two more saps volunteers and I'll set it up.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Well... the new update that added gear was fun but now that we're a little over a week in it's become obvious that many if not all of the high level talismans are completely unbalanced.

I just played two matches against top level wizards that had access to these strongest talismans that I did not. In the first my opponent summoned an entire elf army (7-8 elves) on turn 3.
I held them off for a few turns but there was no way I had any chance of winning. In the second game I was killed by my opponent on turn two after he teleported across the map and hit me with a
magic bolt in a single turn. There is no way I had any way of knowing that he was even capable of doing that and there was nothing I could have done about it even if I had known.

I have every hope that these will be fixed in the next update. Until that happens though, I'm going to have to set this game aside. It really is a shame because I've enjoyed this game immensely up to this point.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

And now a small update has just hit the streets in an attempt to balance the most broken and over powered talismans. I still think there is more work to be done on this front but this is a huge improvement.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I've kind of put it on the shelf for a while to let it ripen some more.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

BTW - while they said the 1.0 version was coming out on the 26th, mine updated this morning. I haven't played it before today (didn't want to get burnt out on another game while in EA only to not want to play it when it comes out) but seems neat. Some single player stuff in there now
tgb

Post by tgb »

1.0 is out, but it's been so long since I last played and there have been so many changes I decided to start with the tutorial. It's quite good, and challenging, even if you know the basics. I still haven't beaten the second scenario, mostly thanks to bad rolls.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

It looks like this is a release candidate and it still hasn't officially come out of EA but, close enough. I'm going to have to dive back into this now and see all the changes.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Me too. I was really enjoying this earlier this year but some of the updates in the spring/summer unbalanced multiplayer. There were combos that exploited the rules and made some players nearly invulnerable. Not fun.

The issues were well known by the developers but weren't the highest priority. I'll have to jump back in now and see if it's fixed.
I really did like this game, hopefully I still do.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Their RNG is 100% crap. They must have gotten the code from Blizzard Entertainment, just sayin' :)
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Yep, I still like this game.
If the balance issues are still in, I haven't noticed yet. And the community seems to be pretty fun. Most of the time there is witty banter between players who are generally having fun and take the games ups and downs in stride. Worst case, so far is the occasional silent opponent, which isn't so bad.

As far as actual gameplay there have been a bunch of new things added. The single player realms (haven't done much there yet), a few new spells and balancing of a few spells. And the graphics have been updated. They look great but I do still miss the old tron graphics of the earlier versions.

One word of warning though -- if you are a FORGE MASTER take some time to do your homework on how the system works. You can only create 1 Staff and 1 Armor and won't have another opportunity to make another until level 33.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Looks like a new game type is in the pipeline that has reduced Luck & more deterministic results. I'm intrigued, but not convinced. Luckily this new so-called LAW mode will be optional. My biggest concern though is that this will only further fragment the already small community.

Here's the full text of the update info that was emailed to me.
Chaos Reborn reduced RNG mode for testing
Posted by Julian Gollop (Creator)
There is a steam beta testing version of the next Chaos Reborn release available. You need to right click on Chaos Reborn in your steam library, select 'properties' then click on the Betas tab. Then select the 'testing' version from the dropdown. You may need to enter the secret code word which is GoblinGoblinOfSteel.
If you had asynch games in progress, please check that they are working. Just open them and play a turn and report any problems. Note: the testing version uses a duplicate of the database, so asynch turns played on the beta testing branch will be lost with official release.
This version incorporates the new reduced RNG mode (known as law mode, with the previous rules known as chaos mode).
With law mode games, casting of spells is done by spending mana and creatures have hitpoints which are reduced according the the ration of attack to defence values. Spell decks are still built randomly. Some other random elements remain - paralyse spell/attack, wind walker attack, spider web attack, subversion spell, magic attack spell loss and some talisman effects.
The tutorials and game guide have not been updated yet, although the tutorial is operating in law mode.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

currently priced for $1 in this bundle (and you also get STALKER: Clear Sky and some sniper series)

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/colossus-bundle