[Kickstarter] Chaos Reborn by X-Com Co-Creator

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Archinerd

Re: [Kickstarter] Chaos Reborn by X-Com Co-Creator

Post by Archinerd »

Joined both games. First turn should be up in the 3-player.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Once custom deck building is in, that will make a big difference as well.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Turn taken and tgb is up.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
tgb

Post by tgb »

So I guess we're playing the 3 player game. Turn taken and Archinerd is up again.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I dont want to keep spamming this thread everytime a new turn is up. Is there any other way?

btw - coldsteel's turn.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

PMs to the players?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Isgrimnur wrote:PMs to the players?

Don't you have something better to do. :)

Good idea though.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

TGB / Coldsteel -
FYI - I'm not likely to get more than one turn in this evening, I've got out of town company crashing on my couch.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Archinerd wrote:TGB / Coldsteel -<BR abp="774">FYI - I'm not likely to get more than one turn in this evening, I've got out of town company crashing on my couch.
No problem on my part. Good luck with the company.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
tgb

Post by tgb »

No problem.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I've got 30 min. until my friend gets here, so I did get 1 turn in.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

In every single 2 player matchmaker game I've played, I've always gone second. Never once gone first in 8 games played. Is that just bad RNG or does anyone know exactly how that works? Going first has a slight advantage so it's kind of irritating to always go second.

Edit: I figured it out. You have to be first in the queue for a match. if you are, you get to go first. I hope they change this to a random chance to go first in future.
Archinerd wrote:I've got 30 min. until my friend gets here, so I did get 1 turn in.
Thanks. I took my turn.
Last edited by ColdSteel on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I guess that means I'm up. I did have one or two games where I went first, so it must be luck of the draw.

Having made it to level 7 and played close to 50 games over the past few days, I think I've wrung as much enjoyment out of this build that I'm going to find. After the two asynch games I'm in now finish I think I'll shelve it for a while so I don't get burnt out on it. I'm looking forward to seeing the content yet to come, however.

Arhinerd is up again
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Shit... sorry guys, I must have missed the boat. I caught a nasty cold, was finishing grading student papers, and totally forgot. Next game you start, send me a PM and I'll be more on top of it.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

baelthazar wrote:Shit... sorry guys, I must have missed the boat. I caught a nasty cold, was finishing grading student papers, and totally forgot. Next game you start, send me a PM and I'll be more on top of it.
The 4 player game still has one slot open.

ALso - Coldsteel, your turn again.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Archinerd wrote:ALso - Coldsteel, your turn again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhS-i-c1XxI

That was fun, guys. Thanks for playing. :D
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

ColdSteel wrote:
Archinerd wrote:ALso - Coldsteel, your turn again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhS-i-c1XxI

That was fun, guys. Thanks for playing. :D
Well that was quick.

I'm not sure I like the asynch play. I like that the game has that feature, just not something I see myself using.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Archinerd wrote:Well that was quick.
Yeah, after you blobbed me it really kind of forced me to be super aggressive and take a huge risk. I figured I wouldn't have a better shot at your wizard or one with a better kill percentage so I went for it. If my bolt had missed you though I was going to be in a world of hurt what with you totin' around that magic bow and all.

Yeah, I kind of agree on the asynch games. It's nice to take your time and analyze everything but it's also kind of frustrating to wait for your next turn when you just want to keep playing. I actually think it's better with 2 players rather than the 3 or 4 player asynch games. For instance, if you have a friend somewhere, it can be a godsend if you want to play the game with them (different time-zones, job schedules, etc.). For just casual play though, real-time is the way to go.

To me this game is a breath of fresh air. I don't remember ever playing a game quite like it (I somehow missed playing the original). MP is not usually something I enjoy that much but this is a lot of fun. I find myself having "one more match" syndrome. I had a hard time tearing myself away from it last night when it was time to turn in.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm confused. I watched the last replay and saw Coldsteel kill Archinerd, but never saw anyone kill me. Did that happen or did I lose thanks to a bug?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

tgb wrote:I'm confused. I watched the last replay and saw Coldsteel kill Archinerd, but never saw anyone kill me. Did that happen or did I lose thanks to a bug?
I killed you with my skeleton.

It took me a bit for me to see my own death - the score screen was blocking it. I had to rewind the game to watch coldsteel kill me.
tgb

Post by tgb »

You can rewind a play-back?
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

tgb wrote:You can rewind a play-back?
Yes. When you click the replay button the I think the rewind button is the first one at the bottom on the left. It says something like "rewind battle to beginning" on the tooltip. It's really nice to be able to go back and rewatch the whole battle. Slick system.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Someone on Qt3 said that there may be an update today containing some version of single-player.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I just played one of my best games yet against a single random opponent. He was able to grab two mana founts to my one, but early on I was able to successfully cast both "magic bow" and "magic shield", and at that point it was just a matter of holding the high ground and staying out of reach. I was pretty much able to one-shot anything that approached, but was never able to get close enough to attack him directly. I tried a couple of times when mounted on a unicorn, but the poor creatures would get killed underneath me, and I would have to retreat.

Oh yeah, there was also some hot Giant on Manticore action.

By turn 18 neither one of us had any spells left other than Disbelieve, and the match went the full 20 rounds. I won on points, but the game still considers it a draw if no one is destroyed.

Good times.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I had a fantastic 2v2 game yesterday. My opponent and I were having bad luck and could hardly get any of our creatures summoned at all.
Some blobs and forests from the other team pushed us together and against the edge of the map on a small hill. We desperately cobbled together a small army to fight off the goblin horde, hydras and giants bearing down on us.

We were so hemmed in we didn't have even have room to maneuver. But our opponents had become overconfident with their string of victories and good luck.
I was able to fire off a magic bolt in a last act of desperation... and struck down one of the enemy wizards! And with that half their army was gone, and the advantage was now ours.
We pressed our advantage and struck down his minions one after the other, then slayed him with a magic arrow on turn 19.

I also had one of the worst games today, where one of my opponents immediately disconnected and the other went afk for 3 turns before being kicked by the server.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I was really hoping they'd get the next big update that includes AI opponents out this weekend but it doesn't look like it. Maybe they ran into some last minute issues. Hopefully they'll release it in the next few days.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Oh, the other thing I was going to say is this.
The player community for this game is really great right now. I hope it stays like this (but I know it won't). People are for the most part really cool and I've seen a lot of funny banter in most of the games I've been in, from both the winners and losers.
tgb

Post by tgb »

ColdSteel wrote:I was really hoping they'd get the next big update that includes AI opponents out this weekend but it doesn't look like it. Maybe they ran into some last minute issues. Hopefully they'll release it in the next few days.

From what I hear, Gallup announced today that v 0.23 will drop tomorrow. It will include a couple of additional spells, hot-seat play, and some form of single-player.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I think we have a good community at the moment because early adapters are going to be people with fond memories of the original or X-Com or LS:N - i.e. older gamers. Look forward to this changing as the game approaches launch.

I've yet to play a team game, but if 3 others would like to join, I'll set one up. I'm assuming we're all lev. 7 at this point, so the playing field will be fair.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Yay! The new update is out.
New features for our special Christmas 2014 release:

•Play single player vs AI, or ‘hotseat’ with other human players, or a combination of human and AI
•New spell - summon a pack of mutant, giant rats
•Christmas themed graphics - for a limited period only

Other changes:
•The formula for calculating the attack probabilities of magic attack spells and subversion has been modified so that creatures with higher magic power are more resistant.
•The power of the subversion spell has been reduced from 10 to 6
•The power of the triple magic attack spells has been reduced from 4 to 3
•The attack value of the Gooey Blob has been reduced from 2 to 1
•The casting boosts for staffs have been altered. The Law and Chaos staffs have a lower boost rating and the armoury, attack and growth staffs have a higher boost rating
•The spell deck display now shows the number of cards of each alignment left in the deck, as well as the total law and chaos value of the cards
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hotseat? Very nice. My son and I often play games on the same computer together.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Has anyone tested the AI yet? I get the impression it's designed to be more of a practice mode before jumping on line, and those of us who've been playing the last couple of weeks can probably skip it. I'm far more interested in the campaign, which I gather to be similar to the campaign in the old Microprose MtG game.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

tgb wrote:Has anyone tested the AI yet? I get the impression it's designed to be more of a practice mode before jumping on line, and those of us who've been playing the last couple of weeks can probably skip it. I'm far more interested in the campaign, which I gather to be similar to the campaign in the old Microprose MtG game.
Just finished a 4 player free for all vs. AI. It just got implemented so it's probably not finished yet, but it's not very smart. It summons far more illusions than a human would - and on things like goblins when the chaos shift was about +10. One of the AIs sent some fire-birds against my blob instead of positioning them to gain board control, I assume because they were the closest target. Another enemy moved to attack my goblin (and killing it) but exposing himself to a skeleton and a dwarf in the process.

So, as it stands the AI won't present any real challenge to anyone who has played a handful of games.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I should hang my head in shame. In 2 games against the AI I got killed by an eagle on the second turn.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Against how many AIs? I'm wondering if a 1v1 game is different because the AI doesn't have to prioritize players.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I've just been playing against one.

The new Rat Pack spell seems way overpowered to me.

Casting it puts 3 rats in play, but subversion or disbelief only affects one, and the other two remain on the map for the caster. It takes 3 disbelief spells to eliminate one casting of Rat Pack. That shouldn't be.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

There was an update that came out this week. I was able to play one 4 player game last night and was able to test out the new Paladin. Actually, thanks to my Mega Spell (Summone 2 Paladins) and my good board control I was able to test 6 of them. They are pretty tough and are able to go toe to toe with Sapphire Dragons and also can kill pesky undead. My favorite part is they auto retaliate against anything that attacks them (if they survive) or anything that attacks a friendly unit standing next to them.

Lots of other changes and creatures have been added too, here's the changes in this update:
This release features 9 awesome new spells, 5 new staff types and several other changes. The new spells and staffs will unlock as you progress to level 12.
Here are the new spells:
PALADIN: The Paladin is a mighty warrior dedicated to protect allies and fight corruption. He will automatically attack any adjacent enemy when it attacks (whatever it attacks). He is also equipped with a magically powered flail that can slay the undead.
VAMPIRE: The Vampire is a terrifying and powerful creature. It is the most formidable undead creature, immune to the attacks of mortal enemies, and yet still highly resistant to magic. Its agility and ability to fly make it a deadly assassin, swooping in to dispatch foes with ease. Each successful attack against a living creature will increase the Vampire’s combat ability.
BLOODLUST TOTEM: This chaos spell will summon a static structure that will grant a 30% attack and 30% agility bonus to all of your creatures. This effect is cumulative with additional totems.
GUARDIAN TOTEM: This law spell will summon a static structure that will grant a 30% defence and 30% magic power bonus to all of your creatures. This effect is cumulative with additional totems.
FOUNTAIN OF LIFE: This powerful law spell will summon a static structure that will resurrect friendly, living creatures and wizards when they die. The deceased is revived in an adjacent space to the fountain. The structure will only be effective 3 times before it crumbles.
TELEPORT: The casting wizard can instantly teleport to any space that is a valid place for a wizard to be, even onto a mount or a mana sprite. Attacking or moving is not possible immediately after a teleport. It can be used to get out of blobs, webs or engagement to enemy creatures.
MAGIC WOOD: Magic trees can only be entered by wizards, where they are protected from attack. There is a 1 in 3 chance at the start of the turn that a wizard in a magic tree will be granted a blessing in the form of an additional spell and double the mana value of the tree. In so doing the tree will wither and die. Creatures next to a friendly tree will be granted a +30 Magic Power bonus.
RAISE DEAD: Wherever a grave stone marks the death of a creature, it may be resurrected with this spell. The resurrected creature will be undead, a half-living being animated by magic.
DISPEL: This is a special spell that is given to every wizard at the start of a battle. It allows you to remove up to 3 or your summoned entities from the game in return for mana.
The staff system has been revised so that staffs are randomly generated. They can have various values for spell boosts, hand size and mega-spell cost, and a variety of mega-spells. They are all level 20 staffs (out of a possible 33 levels) so they are quite powerful. Another major revision is that spells matching the staff type get the usual 1% boost for each mana-point spent instead of 2%, but the mana point limit for boosting is twice that compared to other spells. This was done to mitigate the excessive benefits that staffs matching many spells get (such as the law/chaos staffs).

There are five new staff types added:

STAFF OF CREATURES: Matches creature type spells.
STAFF OF UNDEAD: Matches undead creatures and the raise dead spell.
STAFF OF MARKSMEN: Matches creatures with ranged attacks.
STAFF OF AIR: Matches flying creatures.
STAFF OF MOUNTS: Matches creatures that can be ridden.
Here are the other changes in this release:

REMATCH: When a game has finished, you have the option to request a rematch. If all players agree, then a new game is started with all the players included. The turn order is rotated so that the 2nd player in the previous match now goes first, and so on.
ABUSE MANAGEMENT: You can now report other players for abusive chat messages or player names, and mute them in the in-game chat. In order to do this you must right click on the player’s wizard icon on the top left of the screen to show the options.
CREATURE STATS: The values for attack, defence, agility and magic power have been multiplied by 10. This is done to show the buff values given by the totems more accurately. There are some revisions to the mana values of creatures and alignment values. The creature stats info screen now shows stats affected by gooey blob and web. The creature info box on the top right now shows the full stats for each ability (e.g. ranged attack strength and range).
SPELL STATS: There are some revisions to the mana values for spells (the mana points you get when the spell fails).
BUG FIXES: Quite a few bugs have been fixed. The card burning sticking problem is fixed. A few issues with the line of sight system have been resolved which should make things a bit more predictable.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

A few days ago Julian released some info on what to expect in the next update V.26.
This is going to add in equipable wizard equipment, Staff, Robes & Talisman. Combinations of different items will determine your wizards combat stats, hand size, deck size and spell composition. I'm looking forward to it.

Julian's Post:
Ladies and gentlemen, we have reached Peak Chaos! The next version of Chaos Reborn will bring you more control over your spells and wizardly abilities. Here is a quick summary of how it will work:
Your wizard level will be reset to level 1 and can be levelled up to 33 (the old levelling system is replaced).
Gold earned from battles and league ranks can be spent in the shop for equipment packs of various types, which contain random assortments of staffs, bodygear and talismans
Unwanted items can be traded in for XP at any time
Staffs and bodygear begin at level 1 and can be levelled up to 33 using general XP earned by your wizard, and/or the intrinsic XP of the equipment which is earned by using it in battle.
Staffs determine hand size, spell boost, mega-spell type and mega-spell cost. Bodygear determines attack, defence, agility, magic power and deck size. Each level up will improve one attribute by 1 or 2 steps.
At levels 11, 22 and 33 both staffs and bodygear will unlock talisman slots into which talismans of the correct type may be plugged
There are 7 types of talismans - spell binding, minor buff, major buff, mana binding, valor, sorcery and transmutation
Some talismans need to be activated in battle, and activation may cost mana points.
Spells are allocated randomly as before, biased according to staff type. Spell binding talismans will add specific spells to the deck. There will be no unlocking of spells according to wizard level - all spells will be available from level 1.
You may store up to 200 items in your inventory, from which you build configurations for going into battle. A configuration consists of a staff, bodygear and 0-6 talismans. You can create and name up to 20 configurations. Items may be shared across different configurations.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I'm very excited for when they are able to implement everything they are planning for the realms, equipment and RPG elements. It all sounds fantastic.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Even without everything in I'm still having lots of fun with this.
As of last night I've now played 260 games and have a 54% win record. It's fun to lose but it's more fun to win.