New From Sid Meier - Beyond Earth

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jeff V

Re: New From Sid Meier - Beyond Earth

Post by Jeff V »

Second from the highest. I won my last 6 pre-patch games at that level.
Black Lives Matter
Nightwish

Post by Nightwish »

That's the thing, at least in CIV5, it has nothing to do with AI but with fixed modifiers. If you were only fighting a single war, they wouldn't give up either.
I can't help but feel like the computer is playing a completely different game when playing or watching an LP, so you just have to follow the same path over and over every time you play and hope doesn't pick completely op rationalism. I don't play enough to be anywhere near the top levels, but even then it's easy to see the flaws.
I also can't understand how Firaxis can use such simple tricks and be safe from the criticisms that are pounded on other developers. Although it doesn't affect me personally, since, again, I don't play enough to select higher difficulty levels, but it at least kills the joy of watching an LP.
me in OO -> just reading, but sometimes I do speak my mind
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jeff V wrote:Second from the highest. I won my last 6 pre-patch games at that level.
Too high in the stratosphere for me to help, carry on :)
Black Lives Matter
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I'm sure when I buy it, I'll play on "let the wookie win" difficulty. The wookie being me.
I have but one advocate.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I think I will try one more time, but keep restarting the game until I get a starting location with my back against the sea. These last few games I've been getting starting locations in the middle of a content and soon surrounded by neighbors. Or maybe just do archipelago worlds.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Really tempted to buy it for 25 bucks on steam now. Been playing the 'free weekend' and it's a lot of fun. The only complaint I really have about it is the long load times in the beginning without any kind of feedback, and the one crash I had.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Well, pulled the trigger on this one. Maybe I'll crank the difficulty up a notch and see if it gets any harder, because the #3 difficulty above from easiest apparently allows me to slide right through a standard-size game to an "emancipation victory" in a weekend's worth of gaming. After finishing the first game, I have no doubt that I'll come back.

Some observations:
- As usual, the other civs are super aggressive in colonizing. I had to start several wars with the African guys to stop them from encroaching on my continent. Every time I did, I would not only blow up their outpost but then they would beg for peace and give me one of their cities on a completely different continent. Did it twice, too. Suckers. The Australians tried to horn in on my continent too, but I decided to let them because they looked more powerful and we were good friends besides. When they started the war (after I had built my Emancipation Gate), they regretted it as I wound up getting a hold of all the cities they'd built on my continent.

- I like the spying mechanism. Assign your agents to cities, have them do missions or counterintelligence. No BS with moving "spy units" around or whatever.

- The trade route mechanism is a little bit annoying but manageable once you find the trade route summary screen.

- The 'health' mechanic I'm undecided on, but maybe I'll have more opinions after a few more games.

- There's a crapload of fiction, but it's all buried in the civilopedia.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Health doesn't have the same crippling effect as unhappiness in Civ 5. It is difficult to come by early, which is annoying since some of the early culture benefits require positive health to be useful. Just past mid-game, it becomes abundant, and aside from realizing certain bonuses, doesn't appear to do much else.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Is there a way to stop another faction from attacking an outpost with which you're trading? Other than blowing their units up, that is. Didn't look like there was really any kind of diplomatic option available.
Black Lives Matter
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I have but one advocate.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

JetFred wrote:Sid Meier's Starships
Different game, different thread.
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

So... I tried this for an hour during the free weekend and didn't like it. It felt like a somewhat passable mod for Civ5. Worth maybe $10, but not $30. I was tremendously excited for this when first announced, but I didn't have the cash to pick it up at release, and the lukewarm reviews tempered my subsequent interest.

So I bought it. :?

The sci-fi theme just suckered me in. I love the music, and the setting. It reminds me of Interstellar. Apart from what I've read in this thread, it doesn't seem bad. It's just... re-skinned Civ5. Good thing I love Civ5....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sudy Nym wrote:
So I bought it. :?
Heh.

My son took it for a test drive over the weekend. I watched a couple of turns. It looked damn sexy. I have no idea about how it plays. I will be picking it up eventually, but not yet.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

My initial frustration is that the fundamentals are extremely similar to Civ's. E.g., "gold" has been replaced by "energy". :roll: And the interface is largely redesigned, even though the mechanics are so darned similar to Civ5. So I'm a bit annoyed to have to relearn how to access everything.

But Civ is still Civ, in the awesome sense. Considering the 365 hours I have logged in Civ5, I'm sure I'll get more than my $30 CAD's worth out of Beyond Earth.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sudy Nym wrote:Considering the 365 hours I have logged in Civ5, I'm sure I'll get more than my $30 CAD's worth out of Beyond Earth.
Noob.

While it took several expansions to make Civ 5 as awesome as it is, I just don't see BE having the staying power. Take the tech tree, for example. We understand everything in the Civ tech tree -- it's all based on real development throughout history. In BE, it's a lot of made up shit. The back story in SMAC helped gloss over this, but in BE, it is nakedly apparent.
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Greenman Gaming has this for $19.99 if anyone is interested.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

FYI, there's supposed to be a big patch coming that's going to change a lot of things.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grifman wrote:Greenman Gaming has this for $19.99 if anyone is interested.
$16 if you use SAVE20-APRILM-AYDEAL
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Grifman wrote:FYI, there's supposed to be a big patch coming that's going to change a lot of things.
Any ETA?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote:
Grifman wrote:Greenman Gaming has this for $19.99 if anyone is interested.
$16 if you use SAVE20-APRILM-AYDEAL
Thanks for that reminder. For that, I think I will pick it up.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ydejin wrote:
Grifman wrote:FYI, there's supposed to be a big patch coming that's going to change a lot of things.
Any ETA?
No, I've not heard anything regarding a date. From what I've read, they are calling this Beyond Earth 2.0:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03 ... ond-earth/
While perfectly serviceable, Firaxis’ sci-fi themed strategy spin-off proved far too reluctant to step out of Civ V’s shadow for my tastes, and I haven’t been at all tempted to go back. Conventional wisdom had it that an add-on might add the verve and variety it needs, but it turns out there’s a 2.0 update planned which may (or may not) get Beyond Earth back into orbit.

Details on exactly what the update will do, but Firaxis revealed it – and most importantly their reasons for doing it – at a GDC talk last week, as reported on by Polygon. Lead devs David McDonough and Will Miller bandied around terms such as “a little bit of lack of ambition,” “pulled our punches a little bit”, and “conservative”, all of which ring true and which they partially ascribe to reverence to Civs past and partially to not having a widespread beta test with which to gather player feedback.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

$16 is tempting but I still have a few unplayed Wishmaslist games, so I have no reason to bite until I'm actually ready to play it. Maybe the 2.0 patch will make me ready sooner.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Grifman wrote:No, I've not heard anything regarding a date. From what I've read, they are calling this Beyond Earth 2.0:

While perfectly serviceable, Firaxis’ sci-fi themed strategy spin-off proved far too reluctant to step out of Civ V’s shadow for my tastes, and I haven’t been at all tempted to go back. Conventional wisdom had it that an add-on might add the verve and variety it needs, but it turns out there’s a 2.0 update planned which may (or may not) get Beyond Earth back into orbit.

Details on exactly what the update will do, but Firaxis revealed it – and most importantly their reasons for doing it – at a GDC talk last week, as reported on by Polygon. Lead devs David McDonough and Will Miller bandied around terms such as “a little bit of lack of ambition,” “pulled our punches a little bit”, and “conservative”, all of which ring true and which they partially ascribe to reverence to Civs past and partially to not having a widespread beta test with which to gather player feedback.
This sounds great. Thanks for the update. I'm really looking forward to trying this game again, as it has so much potential going for it. It's not like I disliked the first version either.
Insert witty comment here.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

TiLT wrote:
Grifman wrote:No, I've not heard anything regarding a date. From what I've read, they are calling this Beyond Earth 2.0:

This sounds great. Thanks for the update. I'm really looking forward to trying this game again, as it has so much potential going for it. It's not like I disliked the first version either.
+1

I was thinking of firing it up again, but seems like the best move is to wait until the 2.0 update. Thanks for the intel Grifman.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Good news and bad news.

Good news they are patching the game:
We’re preparing another update for Civilization: Beyond Earth. This update has two major purposes: Further balance updates and improvements to the game, and laying the groundwork for integration with Sid Meier’s Starships.

Both the Starships and Beyond Earth teams have been interested in the idea of having two separate games able to pass information between them, and what that might mean for players. This is our first experiment with this cross-game connectivity. We’re handling this through my2K. If you log into your my2K account within Starships or Beyond Earth, then we will be able to establish a connection between the two games. If you don't already have a my2K account, you'll need to create one. For now, this system works for Beyond Earth and Starships, but may extend to future titles as well. The first time you log into your my2K account from Beyond Earth, you will get an exclusive map: the Glacier planet. The my2K system has been used on other 2K titles previously, including Firaxis’ Haunted Hollow.

Along with this connectivity, we’ve added “Incoming Transmission” to the main title screen of the game. Key information and updates about the game will appear in this menu location.

In terms of game balance, the Wonders have undergone major revisions. One of the most consistent pieces of feedback the team received was that certain Wonders were built only rarely, and players reported that some felt like marginal upgrades over other resource buildings. The Beyond Earth team took a general cost pass on all the Wonders in the game, and changed the effects of most of them. Complete notes on the changes are below.

Additional gameplay balance changes were made as a result of the changes to the Wonders, but also in response to systems reported as too powerful. Trade routes in particular have undergone two important changes. First of all, trade routes are still one of the primary resource generators for a given city. Now, trade routes will be unlocked primarily through city population. Constructing a Trade Depot allows trade routes to be built and gives the city one trade route slot. Other trade routes now unlock at population thresholds. This prevents players from using small cities as massive trade hubs during the middle- and late-game. Secondly, there is now an “auto-renew route” option, as requested by many players.

Friendly aliens no longer prevent citizens from working plots, much to the joy of Harmony factions, who understand that nothing tills the soil quite like Siege Worms, and that Wolf Beetles are the mascots for many Academies.

The team also took the opportunity to fix bugs, adjust the AI, and add user interface changes.

We’d like to thank you for your continued feedback on Beyond Earth, and we hope that you enjoy these updates.

[LOCALIZATION]
- Added support for Simplified Chinese

[WONDERS]
- General cost pass on all Wonders
- Xenodrome - Provides a small positive influence to alien opinion each turn, and negative alien opinion recovers twice as quickly
- Panopticon - Gives +1 unit sight and +5 anti-orbital strike range on city
- Mass Driver - Gives +1 city strike range and +25% city strike damage
- Gene Vault - Gives free worker to new cities
- Ectogenesis Pod - Gives 1 Food per 4 pop in its city
- Quantum Computer - Gives free orbital unit maintenance and +50% orbital unit duration
- Drone Sphere - Gives +50% speed to worker builds and explorer expeditions
- Cynosure - Gain +1 Science for every 3 population in its city
- Ansible - Affinity XP is gained 25% faster
- Stellar Codex - +8 Orbital Coverage range
- Master Control - Free Maintenance and +1 Movement for Workers
- Precog Project - Military Units can achieve two additional levels of Veterancy
- Human Hive - City immune to Covert Operations
- Holon Chamber - Gain Science equivalent to 10% of global Energy income each turn
- Archimedes Lever - Any hostile unit within 2 tiles of the city suffers 10 attrition damage per turn
- Memetwork - All Affinity Level requirements for buildings, units, and wonders reduced by 1
- New Terran Myth - +2 Culture from Trade Routes
- Markov Eclipse - Military Units attack at full strength even when damaged
- Promethean - City no longer produces Unhealth
- Nanothermite - All air, ranged, and city bombard attacks 25% stronger
- Xenomalleum - +5 Titanium, Petroleum, and Geothermal resource
- Xenonova - Penalties due to Unhealth reduced by 50%
- Bytegeist - All Virtue Tier synergy bonuses require one less point to complete
- Armasail - City suffers 50% less damage from ranged attacks
- Deep Memory - +1 Culture for every 3 Population in every City
- Tectonic Anvil - +5 Production from Canyons
- Crawler - +25% Production for buildings and wonders
- Daedelus Ladder - All City Yields +10%
- Resurrection Device - Benefits from positive Health effects increased by 50%

[GENERAL BALANCE]
- Domination victory is now won by controlling all original player capitals including your own.
- Veterancy Promotions: All combat boost promotions add +10% strength
- Veterancy Promotions: All unit heal promotions starting at level 4 heal 75 hp
- Veterancy Promotions: Adding level 5 and 6 unit veterancy promotions to work with Precog Project
- Virtues: Replaced Applied Aesthetics virtue with Applied Metasociology virtue - City Intrigue decreases faster when an Agent is present
- Virtues: Settler Clans virtue now gives +1 population in new cities
- Trade Routes: Trade route slots now primarily unlocked based on city population. Trade Depot allows building trade routes and gives 1 slot, all others unlock at population thresholds
- Trade Routes: Added option to auto-renew Trade Routes
- Covert Ops: Lowered intrigue level required for affinity covert ops
- Friendly aliens no longer prevent city citizens from working plots

[UI]
- Added tech filters for Units and Orbital categories
- Victory progress tooltips show explicit status of quest objectives
- Re-enabling yield for canyon plots (2 production, not improvable)
- Added "Incoming Transmission" on main menu for in-game messaging

[AI]
- Fixed an issue where Victory Wonders could be built by AI in captured territory, and not be able to be interacted with
- Fixed an issue that could cause the AI to not aggressively target rival planetary Wonders
- Fixed an issue where non-Harmony AI players were not clearing Miasma properly
- AI is now more selective about desiring alliances
- AI will now form alliances to counter a strong shared neighbor.

[OTHER]
- Added my2K functionality to title, allowing cross-game connectivity and unlocks with other Firaxis titles (starting with Sid Meier's Starships), along with other future perks
- Added Glacier map that unlocks when signing in to my2K for the first time

[BUGS]
- Fixed an issue where Covert Ops panel could go blank in the middle of a game, or after a coup
- Fixed an issue where AI aircraft city UI was displaying in Fog of War
- Fixed an issue where resource pods and relics where not placing properly on the Taigon map type
- Fixed an issue with the Growth Potential quest failing when the AI would destroy a target station
- Fixed an issue where an AI leader would sometimes propose an offer that they would not accept when you agreed
- Fixed an issue where a player might not be able to restart a Victory wonder (like the Beacon) if a Victory wonder was attacked after the countdown had started
- Fixed an issue that was causing the skeleton to not drop when a Worm was killed (still only a chance, but now works properly
- Fixed an issue that was causing Xenomass under an existing alien nest to not be counted when the nest turned friendly
- Fixed misc crashes as reported by Steam error reporting
- Additional misc bug fixes
Bad news is that they are releasing a new $30 DLC that has a number of enhancements that I would have thought would have been in a free 2.0 release:
2K Announces Sid Meier’s Civilization®: Beyond Earth™ – Rising Tide Expansion Pack

Extensive addition for sci-fi entry to award-winning Civilization franchise introduces aquatic gameplay, an overhauled diplomacy system, hybrid Affinities and more!