Tom Clancy's The Division

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Could not find an old thread..im sure if there is one someone will pont to it.

This is a game set in 2025 in New York 2 weeks after a bioweapon attack hit. Its like a post apoc / disease game. A thinking shooter. Im sure many of you know about it ..swear id posted about it.

Some info vids.

this is a things we know type video

15 min of gameplay shown at GDC...more like a teaser
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Archangel

Re: Tom Clancy's The Division

Post by Archangel »

I keep half an eye open for this game, it looks interesting enough in terms of story and the graphics and atmosphere looks very very nice.

However I am a little bit worried for my sake that as it is a futuristic setting that all the gadgets etc may make the game a little bit to easy, detecting enemies etc which I do not like, however I have not dug into the info about the game but it is a potential worry I have.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nice little story trailer. Well made. This is still my most wanted. Found the family part of the trailer near the start pretty sad.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/09/tom-c ... -e3-event/

miltonite

Post by miltonite »

This game interests me quite a bit. My "white whale" game is a fps mmo. If this world is persistent and fun to play it might be the last game I need. I have never played much of any Tom Clancy game but for a hour or 2 of splinter cell. I will probably take 1 for the team and make this a day 1 purchase.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itE_jq3uZ-U

5 minute gameplay video from E3 2014
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok they are saying its more a RPG than shooter. And though I ma big shooter fan Im actually happy to hear this. Im even more interested now.

E3 2015 its not what we thought

E3 2015 trailer
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No 1 on 1 trading

Only 1 borough

Starting to wonder just what this game will have that other games dont so why make it kinda thoughts.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I actually just preordered is for PS4 and I will tell you why. I like Borderlands, and The Division looks very much like it will take a page from the Borderlands book. Rather than be a rehash, I think The Division will push the genre into a more realistic, gritty, setting - which in many ways makes the game different right there. Something also reminds me of that MMORPG Syfy channel show crossover game Defiance. I liked the idea of that game, and a lot of the mechanics were solid, but the bland Sci-Fi backdrop just did not pull me in (I wasn't pulled in by the show either). I have lived in NYC, and setting a game in the hollow shell of NYC appeals to me.

Also, when you say "one borough only" you have to understand that you are looking at a 13 x 3 miles long strip of land. Although, I think what you mean is it only has one neighborhood (borough, in a New York context means The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island, and Queens). I am pretty sure that the entire game is set in Manhattan, so that link probably means one neighborhood - in this case Midtown. Midtown is where a lot of the cool stuff is, and Times Square is clearly part of the "Dark Zone" for PVP. Presumably, the game could also have miles and miles of internal scenes, as that one neighborhood is full of skyscrapers and major buildings. I am sure the DLC (there is a Season Pass after all) will add other parts (like the Village, Upper East Side, or the downtown neighborhoods).

Here is a map to get a sense of scale here. The game is set in Midtown, which looks small, but it isn't. Take it from someone who has walked it, there is plenty of space here for interesting stuff (both on the ground and in the buildings).

Enlarge Image
Last edited by baelthazar on Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

baelthazar wrote:Take it from someone who has walked it, there is plenty of space here for interesting stuff (both on the ground and in the buildings).
Off-topic... cool map. As someone who doesn't live within a thousand miles of the city but enjoys a lot of its history (Gotham is a favorite book of mine) it is interesting to see such a map.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

baelthazar wrote:I actually just preordered is for PS4 and I will tell you why. I like Borderlands, and The Division looks very much like it will take a page from the Borderlands book. Rather than be a rehash, I think The Division will push the genre into a more realistic, gritty, setting - which in many ways makes the game different right there. Something also reminds me of that MMORPG Syfy channel show crossover game Defiance. I liked the idea of that game, and a lot of the mechanics were solid, but the bland Sci-Fi backdrop just did not pull me in (I wasn't pulled in by the show either). I have lived in NYC, and setting a game in the hollow shell of NYC appeals to me.
I'm psyched about this game. Definitely agree that pushing the ARPG genre into a modern military environment is a very interesting direction, and it's one of the reasons why I'm particularly excited about The Division.

Latest information is that the map crosses the entire width of Manhattan. It goes as far north as 56th (just south of Central Park). The southern end is a bit ragged, but it looks like it goes down to around 14th Street at least on the eastern side of the map.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

baelthazar wrote:I actually just preordered is for PS4 and I will tell you why. I like Borderlands, and The Division looks very much like it will take a page from the Borderlands book. Rather than be a rehash, I think The Division will push the genre into a more realistic, gritty, setting - which in many ways makes the game different right there. Something also reminds me of that MMORPG Syfy channel show crossover game Defiance. I liked the idea of that game, and a lot of the mechanics were solid, but the bland Sci-Fi backdrop just did not pull me in (I wasn't pulled in by the show either). I have lived in NYC, and setting a game in the hollow shell of NYC appeals to me.

Also, when you say "one borough only" you have to understand that you are looking at a 13 x 3 miles long strip of land. Although, I think what you mean is it only has one neighborhood (borough, in a New York context means The Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island, and Queens). I am pretty sure that the entire game is set in Manhattan, so that link probably means one neighborhood - in this case Midtown. Midtown is where a lot of the cool stuff is, and Times Square is clearly part of the "Dark Zone" for PVP. Presumably, the game could also have miles and miles of internal scenes, as that one neighborhood is full of skyscrapers and major buildings. I am sure the DLC (there is a Season Pass after all) will add other parts (like the Village, Upper East Side, or the downtown neighborhoods).

Here is a map to get a sense of scale here. The game is set in Midtown, which looks small, but it isn't. Take it from someone who has walked it, there is plenty of space here for interesting stuff (both on the ground and in the buildings).
Enlarge Image
Using "bigimg" will make your post and image much more forum friendly :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
naednek

Post by naednek »

The more I see things about this game the more I get the feeling it's multiplayer centric (coop) Can you go in solo? like in Destiny?
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

naednek wrote:The more I see things about this game the more I get the feeling it's multiplayer centric (coop) Can you go in solo? like in Destiny?
Single player is definitely supported. There's two distinct areas of the game, the regular area (which is about 75-80% of the map) and the Dark Zone, which is the PVP zone.

In the regular area, it's basically like Diablo. There's an instance created for you (and your friends if you're playing coop). In this zone, there is only you and your group. Group size is 1-4, no AI teammates are provided. If you're playing single player, there's just you. Enemies in this zone are scaled based on the number of players, but not on the level of the players. From the Youtube videos, it sounds like both the number of enemies and their placement is controlled by the number of actual players, so that it doesn't become too difficult for those playing single player. Enemies are not scaled based on player level though, and specific areas of the map are marked as recommended for different player levels (levels go up to 30).

The Dark Zone is more of a free-for-all multiplayer zone. When you enter the Dark Zone there is you (and your group if any) but also up to ~30 other players. Dark Zone can be both PvE and PvP, but there is always the potential to get ganked. There are mechanics in place so that those attacking other player characters will have bounties on their heads and if that bounty gets big, everyone else in the zone will be alerted to where the "Rogue Agent" is so they can get chased down. Rewards are provided for killing Rogue Agents. OTOH if the Rogue Agent or Agents can evade everyone else (or kill everyone else) they will potentially be rewarded. From the information I've read, this is the one area of the map where I don't think it makes sense to play solo, it's just going to be a lot easier to get ganked if you're in this area by yourself.

In addition to the regular area and the Dark Zone you also have a base of operations. You are the only one who can enter your base of operations. Different parts of the base of operations get unlocked and the base changes graphically as you complete missions. It's not really discussed in any of the videos I've seen, but I assume when a group of players enter the base, everyone goes to their own individual instance of the base of operations. If I've got my medical wing unlocked and upgraded, I enter the base, and I enter a base with a medical wing up and running. If you've got the security wing upgraded, you enter the base and you see a base with a security wing in action. We don't see each other again in game, until we both exit our bases, then we're back in our group-shared world.

There are also Safe Houses scattered around the world where you can interact with other players not in your group for the purposes of forming a team. But outside of the Safe Houses and the Dark Zone you will never see a player that you have not deliberately grouped up with.

Bottom line: you can definitely play solo. Tactics will probably be more interesting with at least one other player, but the game is designed to scale so you can play by yourself with no trouble. The PvP Dark Zone is the one area where you probably don't want to go single player.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Grifman wrote: Using "bigimg" will make your post and image much more forum friendly :)
Grif, it is the BIG Apple though! 8-)

P.S. Thanks!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

ydejin wrote:Bottom line: you can definitely play solo. Tactics will probably be more interesting with at least one other player, but the game is designed to scale so you can play by yourself with no trouble. The PvP Dark Zone is the one area where you probably don't want to go single player.
Thanks for posting this info, I thought the game wasn't going to be SP friendly. I'll have to give it more of a look.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Was just looking at this gameplay video just uploaded... seems to take a lot of bullets to kill anything.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

jztemple2 wrote:Was just looking at this gameplay video just uploaded... seems to take a lot of bullets to kill anything.
This is the biggest concern/criticism I have read. Enemies seem to be bullet sponges and headshots are not insta-kills. To be fair, the same is true in Borderlands and Destiny, but it does seem off in a more realistic universe. OTOH, the game is still in beta and the open beta is going to be next weekend, so a lot could change.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Tom Clancy The Division: Agent Origins 30 Min live action movie on Amazon video must be a prime subscriber
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

baelthazar wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:Was just looking at this gameplay video just uploaded... seems to take a lot of bullets to kill anything.
This is the biggest concern/criticism I have read. Enemies seem to be bullet sponges and headshots are not insta-kills. To be fair, the same is true in Borderlands and Destiny, but it does seem off in a more realistic universe. OTOH, the game is still in beta and the open beta is going to be next weekend, so a lot could change.
In borderlands most human enemies (non-bosses) can be taken out with a headshot.

Anyway, ydejin's overview has definitely piqued my interest. I was watching some XCOM2 preview videos this weekend and an ad came up for this and I watched the ad all the way through just to see what it is (never happens). I sighed when I saw it was a Tom Clancy game (nothing since the Original Ghost Recon games has floated my particular boat) and went back to watching videos. Now I am more interested.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

coopasonic wrote:Original Ghost Recon games
Rainbow Six were the original games. :geek:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Original Ghost Recon games, not the original Tom Clancy games, as in not the Ghost Recon games from the last decade.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Regardless, the Ghost Recon games were an outgrowth of the Rainbow Six series.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote: In borderlands most human enemies (non-bosses) can be taken out with a headshot.
As the incontinent man said, "Depends..." :wink: Depends on level, depends on weapon, depends on if the enemy has a traditional "head." I do see why people are irked a bit, but I wonder if it might change some as the beta progresses. Also, a lot of videos I have seen are in the Dark Zone, and I think the enemies are a bit tougher there since they drop loot that anyone can pick up (and fight over).

I'm not a PVP type of guy, but the way the Dark Zone is done appeals to me (at least at the moment). You can loot anything that drops, no matter who makes the kill. You can shoot other agents, but when you do you "go rogue" and get a giant target blazoned on you for everyone to see. If you get ganked by a PVPer, you only lose what you looted in the Dark Zone and did not extract, so there is a risk-reward for not going to the extraction point but you aren't going to lose the awesome weapon you found during another run or in the non-PVP zones. Overall, this is PVP I can handle.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

That PvP description sounds pretty nice... is it actually PvP or just PvP allowed? It sounds more like PvE with PvP options and deterrents. Are there actually player enemy factions?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

coopasonic wrote:That PvP description sounds pretty nice... is it actually PvP or just PvP allowed? It sounds more like PvE with PvP options and deterrents. Are there actually player enemy factions?
It's a PvP enabled area. There's a lot of PvE questing and enemies in the area, and you can certainly go in with the objective of just carrying out PvE. However, other players are present and can decide to attack you at any time. The rest of the map is not only just PvE, but there are no players present at all if you're playing single player and for multiplayer there's just your 1-4 man team.

Also minor addendum to my previous post. In addition to the Safe Houses, you will also see other players at the start of the game, in an area setup to allow players can form teams. You can just ignore the other players and proceed on to the main map to play Single Player if desired.

This is shown in Angry Joe's Division Gameplay put up on Youtube yesterday.
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

coopasonic wrote:That PvP description sounds pretty nice... is it actually PvP or just PvP allowed? It sounds more like PvE with PvP options and deterrents. Are there actually player enemy factions?
Oh also as far as player enemy factions, not in the Dark Zone at least as currently described. Everyone is just questing around in the Dark Zone in teams of 1-4. There is no requirement or quest suggesting that you start shooting other players, but the game mechanics due allow it.

AIUI they did run some E3 scenarios where there actually were teams competing with one another. But that's not how the current Dead Zone works. There is some speculation that something like this might get added in either as End Game content (they currently are not discussing End Game) or as post release updates or DLC.

Right now the Dead Zone is as you say a PvE area with the option to PvP, but with defined rewards and penalties for engaging in PvP.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

From what I have seen, it also looks like accidental friendly fire could trigger the rogue alert warning in the Dark Zone. Not one bullet, mind you, but if you get jumpy and unload into something you think is an enemy, you might get flagged. Kill someone and the flag gets worse - with an alert going out to a larger part of the zone.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Wasn't on my radar until this post from a "hidden, all-star calibre player".

"This game is fantastic. It's the best game that I ever developed and that's saying something. Never in the history of gaming has there been a game this good. It's immersive. It's spectacular. And, I guarantee, it'll be the greatest gaming experience you've ever had in your life! The major studios wish they could deliver a gaming experience like this but they can't. Only I can. Take a look at that player map. It's spectacular. If you don't play it, you're a loser who can't play with the big boys. Or a girl. Or a Hispanic. Same thing. Even my good friends from the boy/girl/Hispanic community say the same thing! They support me and they support this game. Buy it before it goes up in price because traditional gaming demand says this game will absolutely double in price by this summer. You have my word on it." 23/10
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

^ Well the game is set in post apocalyptic New York... You know... Like after a Trump win...

In all seriousness, the Trump towers may be on the edge of the part of midtown in the game. One is on Columbus Circle, which is at the lower left side of the park. The other would be at the far right side of midtown on the map above.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

I was really thinking fallout was my last game for a while, but now I'm looking forward to reviews for this. I really enjoyed the first two ghost recons and the third was pretty good. If this catches the magic of those I may need to buy in.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Genghis

Post by Genghis »

Combustible Lemur wrote:I was really thinking fallout was my last game for a while, but now I'm looking forward to reviews for this. I really enjoyed the first two ghost recons and the third was pretty good. If this catches the magic of those I may need to buy in.

It needs grenade launchers for team play. A game where you can't randomly spam grenades with bad aim to blow up teammates isn't as fun.
Dunqan

Post by Dunqan »

Which platform are people planning on playing on? Seems like consoles might fit well.

Dunqan
raydude

Post by raydude »

If reviews are good then I may have to get this for the PS4. Not sure my PC can handle it.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

raydude wrote:If reviews are good then I may have to get this for the PS4. Not sure my PC can handle it.
I'll be doing PS4.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I just dropped a lot of coin on a new PC so that's the platform I'll be going with.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Montag

Post by Montag »

Got a closed beta key for next weekend through NVIDIA.
words
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

G2A has beta codes for about a $1.20
Brian

Post by Brian »

CDKeys.com has PreOrder for $34.16
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

I got a beta code from Nvidia as well. Really wasn't planning to pick this up at release, but I guess we'll see how the beta goes.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

IIRC, you can preorder from Amazon for no money down, get the code, and then cancel later. Not sure if this still works, but other people have done it with earlier games.