Tom Clancy's The Division

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Tom Clancy's The Division

Post by Daehawk »

It amuses me that every bad guy is named Alex. Whenever I kill someone and they yell its always "They got Alex!!" I still smile.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Due to various reasons (time commitment (my playtime is often interrupted so go afk frequently), lack of skill, etc) I tend to avoid MP games. Is this still worth getting if I play solo only?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Has been and continues to be for me.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

IceBear wrote:Due to various reasons (time commitment (my playtime is often interrupted so go afk frequently), lack of skill, etc) I tend to avoid MP games. Is this still worth getting if I play solo only?
Yes, and a lot of the content can be done in relatively short bursts of play.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

10 hours to go!

:x
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Reemul wrote:
Exodor wrote: GTX 970.
It works fine on mine.. must be something else..
I may have found the problem - my new 1TB Samsung 850 evo.

I uninstalled the game from that and reinstalled on my data drive which let me play for about 45 minutes last night without a crash.

Is anyone else using an 850? If so are you using an nvidia card as well?

Sorry to turn this into my personal troubleshooting thread.

Well, not really. :oops:
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Max Peck wrote:
IceBear wrote:Due to various reasons (time commitment (my playtime is often interrupted so go afk frequently), lack of skill, etc) I tend to avoid MP games. Is this still worth getting if I play solo only?
Yes, and a lot of the content can be done in relatively short bursts of play.
The only time I've grouped has been when doing story missions and the game makes it super easy to join a group and then exit when the mission is done. You don't HAVE to group for them but it makes them a lot easier.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I run an 850 EVO and a Nvidia GTX 770 SC
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Downloaded last night, and it didn't grab me the first session I played. A few hours later, I ran some more of the early stuff and got my ass handed to me. But enjoyed the game more. On the fence about whether to ultimately buy it, but am having more fun than I thought I would.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just now gave up trying to loot a Scar-H and bought one. Cost me a bit of my cash but is a sweet sweet rifle.

Also just now noticed I have explosive and incendiary ammo types. Ive never used them and have just now bound some keys for them. Not sure how much I get of them but should do serious damage to the tougher foes.

Question - I see in my INV I can mark items as JUNK. What does this do? Is there some way to sell all JUNK marked items at once in the field or something?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:Question - I see in my INV I can mark items as JUNK. What does this do? Is there some way to sell all JUNK marked items at once in the field or something?
From your inventory you can deconstruct all junk items at once, and at a vendor you can sell all junk items.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok then ty.

As for weapons I carry the best pistol I can find but hardly ever use them. They also get in my way sometimes and get me killed as I scroll with my mouse wheel to the gun I want but go the wrong way and land on the pistol instead. Im thinking maybe if I unequip a pistol.....if it lets me.....I will only have the two rifles to scroll between.

As for rifles I carry some type of auto rifle and now Ive started carrying a sniper rifle as my 2nd gun. Not found a good one yet so just using what I can find for now. Helps with those pesky perfect aim high damage snipers I come across who shoot me from a mile away. Now I can touch back.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:Ok then ty.

As for weapons I carry the best pistol I can find but hardly ever use them. They also get in my way sometimes and get me killed as I scroll with my mouse wheel to the gun I want but go the wrong way and land on the pistol instead. Im thinking maybe if I unequip a pistol.....if it lets me.....I will only have the two rifles to scroll between.

As for rifles I carry some type of auto rifle and now Ive started carrying a sniper rifle as my 2nd gun. Not found a good one yet so just using what I can find for now. Helps with those pesky perfect aim high damage snipers I come across who shoot me from a mile away. Now I can touch back.
By default, the weapons are mapped to "1" (primary), "2" (secondary) and "3" (sidearm). I never use the scroll wheel.

About the only time you really need your sidearm is if you are using ballistic shield, since that is all you can use with the shield out (although there is a gear set that lets you use an SMG).

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there a way to see what areas of the map are what lvl average? Like lvls 10-12 or whatever? And if so how do I see that?

Im trying to find a better gun...either as loot or as store bought. If I cant find what im looking for then maybe i can craft one? I need a good sniper...perhaps a SVwhatever ....and a good assault rifle / light mg. I did loot a M60 but that thing is all over the place when firing. Im not happy with that SCAR-H other than damage. Think I need a M44 or M1A1 or something to snipe with.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:Is there a way to see what areas of the map are what lvl average? Like lvls 10-12 or whatever? And if so how do I see that?

Im trying to find a better gun...either as loot or as store bought. If I cant find what im looking for then maybe i can craft one? I need a good sniper...perhaps a SVwhatever ....and a good assault rifle / light mg. I did loot a M60 but that thing is all over the place when firing. Im not happy with that SCAR-H other than damage. Think I need a M44 or M1A1 or something to snipe with.
If you bring up the map and float the mouse cursor over a neighborhood, you should see the name of the neighborhood and its spawn level range in the top right corner of the map. For missions/side missions/encounters, if you mouse over the mission icon on the map, you'll see a bunch of info in the top left corner of the map, including the enemy level.

If you aren't getting the weapon/gear drops you want, your best bet is to check the safe house and base of operations vendors, since the vendors should always offer at-level gear. Crafting is generally worthless, so unless you happen to have a recipe for the type of weapon you want at the level you need, I would ignore it.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thank you. That should help out more. Im lvl 14 and finding I stray into areas that one or two shots kill me and I have to empty an entire mag into someone to damage them good. Other times nearer the start area stuff is way easy and the loot is bad.

Whats the lvl cap? Anyone know?

And I thought The Cleaners were the big badasses of the game. Ive killed them coming and going. But I ran into some Rikers and they mopped the floor with me multiple times. Thats with beard and no beard hahahah . I cant help thinking of Riker from Star Trek ever time I see or hear of Rikers.

Lastly Im positive all bad guys are named Alex. I wasn't sure before but now I am. It's all they ever say..."They killed Alex!".."Alex is down!" :P
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:Whats the lvl cap? Anyone know?
Max level is 30. After you hit 30, you start working on levelling up your gear score (which currently maxes out at 256).

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

ty
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Should I worry much with money? I had saved a lot since I started and had 16k but have been spending it for random things I could use and wasn't finding. Just now Ive found a SVD Sniper rifle in blue I could really use. Its 6k and I only have 7k.....should I stop worrying and just buy it?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I bought it. Works great.

I got stuff in my stash I can sell. I have been keeping one of every gun i found just to collect them. Can sell all that junk.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Do we....OO.....have a guild or group or whatever this game has for this game? Like Octopus Overlords Mercenaries?
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Daehawk wrote:Do we....OO.....have a guild or group or whatever this game has for this game? Like Octopus Overlords Mercenaries?

I don't think there is a guild system, is there?
Brian

Post by Brian »

I'd be willing to jump in with some OOers.

Of course, I'm going on vacation tomorrow so I won't be available until sometime next week. :)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trying to make an off time alt female character just for fun and good lord I thought the male choices were ugly as sin. Geez the female ones look beyond horrible. Is there no mod or anything to fix how they look?? Ugh. A AAA game and they give 8 faces and 4 hair to choose from on male and female...and its almost the same choices. They spent zero time on making characters look different than every other one in game. Being a mp only game that is a NO NO to me and I would hope many others.

I love the game and am having a lot of fun with it. But Id like my character creator to have a lot more options other than ugly with short hair or butt ugly with shorter hair.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I think you're supposed to differentiate your character with ($$$ DLC) clothing. I got a "super" edition of some sort during that free weekend so I ended up with a bunch of city services uniforms. My dude is now 1/3 paramedic, 1/3 firefighter and 1/3 park ranger. :)
There is no hug button. Sad!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I ended up creating what I thought was a semi ok looking girl. Got in game and looked like a complete guy. Then to top that Im in the beginner safe house and a red head girl in a pony tail was beside me. Made me look even more like a guy. How the heck did they make her?....I deleted my 'girl' and will now try again and again until I can get a girl....or at least a pony tail.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wow it crashed on me in the middle of a firefight. Thats only the 2nd time since I started it that its crash. I noticed a error box in windows when it dumped about video driver not responding or something.

I having so much fun with the game I wasn't even mad.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Soon after starting to play I noticed I never saw any other players in the normal area. Then I saw people leaving the safe houses just disappear. I think that is the wrong way to do it. Id rather have others playing in the same map as me instead of their own instances. Just no one could shoot each other..no damage. But Id love to see others doing their thing while I do mine or helping me out or me helping them as I travel. Better yet they could revive me if they pass by while Im down. It would make the world seem more alive and I think a lot more fun.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:Soon after starting to play I noticed I never saw any other players in the normal area. Then I saw people leaving the safe houses just disappear. I think that is the wrong way to do it. Id rather have others playing in the same map as me instead of their own instances. Just no one could shoot each other..no damage. But Id love to see others doing their thing while I do mine or helping me out or me helping them as I travel. Better yet they could revive me if they pass by while Im down. It would make the world seem more alive and I think a lot more fun.
I prefer the way they did it -- the last thing I want is to be hanging around, waiting my turn for a shot at a mission spawn, and having some yahoo run up and steal my kill. You can always group up and do the open-world PvE stuff co-op if you want some company.

Survival mode is a bit more like what you want. Each run starts off with 24 players on the map, so you will usually cross paths with other players even if you're not grouped. Of course, you're also competing with them for loot spawns (it took me two or three runs before I realized that the empty loot containers I had been finding were because someone had beat me to them).

morlac

Post by morlac »

killbot737 wrote:I think you're supposed to differentiate your character with ($$$ DLC) clothing. I got a "super" edition of some sort during that free weekend so I ended up with a bunch of city services uniforms. My dude is now 1/3 paramedic, 1/3 firefighter and 1/3 park ranger. :)

No need to pay for DLC cloths. You will find way more than you could ever wear for free.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Xbox countdown sale has this for $20 ($36 with DLC pass). Is the DLC worth it?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Pyperkub wrote:Xbox countdown sale has this for $20 ($36 with DLC pass). Is the DLC worth it?
Does that get you the Underground and Survival content? If so, then I'd say yes. For me, both of those add a lot to the end-game experience.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Looks like Underground, Survival and (later) Last Stand. Plus some misc clothing/boosts/drops.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Max Peck wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Soon after starting to play I noticed I never saw any other players in the normal area. Then I saw people leaving the safe houses just disappear. I think that is the wrong way to do it. Id rather have others playing in the same map as me instead of their own instances. Just no one could shoot each other..no damage. But Id love to see others doing their thing while I do mine or helping me out or me helping them as I travel. Better yet they could revive me if they pass by while Im down. It would make the world seem more alive and I think a lot more fun.
I prefer the way they did it -- the last thing I want is to be hanging around, waiting my turn for a shot at a mission spawn, and having some yahoo run up and steal my kill. You can always group up and do the open-world PvE stuff co-op if you want some company.

Survival mode is a bit more like what you want. Each run starts off with 24 players on the map, so you will usually cross paths with other players even if you're not grouped. Of course, you're also competing with them for loot spawns (it took me two or three runs before I realized that the empty loot containers I had been finding were because someone had beat me to them).
Ive not had the game long so Im not sure what loot spawns you are talking about. To be clearer I dont mean they can enter the main mission instances with you. I mean on the city map where all the stuff is just random spawns. 4 guys standing in a road or in an alley. That area.

Are there some kind of special repeatable spawn areas that I can get good loot in ? I finally got a chrome shotgun last night and was so happy lol. I carry a assault rifle as my main then have a shotgun and sniper I alt with in my 2nd slot depending on what i need. I pick up and sell everything else .....and still dont have enough money. I have looted tons of brown jackets though :P
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The story missions could be separate instances from the rest of the PvE zone, but as it stands now they aren't (in some cases, you can actually come under fire from random spawns in the street while doing a few of the main story missions). Aside from that the side missions, encounters, Search and Destroy and High Value Target missions are all out in the open and would become contested content if the zone was open multiplayer. If I were going to change anything, it would be to add a PvE Dark Zone instance rather than making the entire PvE map an open multiplayer zone.

There are one-time loot crates scattered around the city, but the contents aren't outstanding, so I wouldn't bother going out of my way to hunt them down (and you'll find a lot of them just by doing the missions). If you want guaranteed good quality loot drops, then you should look for the named elite mobs that roam around in the streets. Each one seems to be found in a consistent location, and they respawn about 4 hours after you kill them, so you can farm them once you track them down.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just looted a real nice SCAR in a infected zone. It allowed me to stop carrying both ym sniper rifle and my assault rifle and use parts from both those to make it better. So pretty cool.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind a motorcycle to get around on.

EDIT: Haven't given much thought to pistols. I just equip whatever seems best. But lately Im running into more of those missions where you carry a case back to a spot to drop off and you're stuck with just your pistol unless you want to drop the crate and then pick it back up again. I dont. I prefer to keep moving. ADDHD and OCD and all :). Looks like Im going to have to find a pistol that ranks up there with my rifles and shotguns. As is Im putting about 10 rounds into a bad guy before they fall with the pistol Im using now.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Well I picked it up with the dlc. Did the first few side missions, it's interesting. A very big change in terms of the pacing from Destiny.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive forgotten already....is there a way to team up for PVE play? If so you guys can give me a yell. Im on and off a lot so may be tough to catch on. Im Bok007 as far as I recall. Dont bother for PVP in the dark zone. I just dont do it. Yet.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:Ive forgotten already....is there a way to team up for PVE play?
Yes.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im a little stuck now. I really could use better weps but dotn want to buy one. I have a SCAR that is semi auto and has a damage rating of around 23,000. Its nice but I need a good full auto. My alt is a full auto but its rating is just 11,000. Im dying a lot. I also need more materials to upgrade base. Im in a hard as hell 18-21 zone I think and Im like 21.

As my skills I usually use a turret and a health/revive pack. Love them both. BUT Im testing a homing bomb now which I also love but it takes the place of one of those. For now its my turret but man Im missing that turret. I have noticed the boss guys just go up to my turret and kick it lol. Testing it with fire and electrical.