Dark Souls I on PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Dark Souls I on PC

Post by GreenGoo »

Despite the dragon tail sword being awesome, I almost immediately found a halberd. While it has less damage it has a great reach, so I'm using that instead. The dragon tail sword does have a special aoe attack in a straight line in front of you, so that's useful at times.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hey Goo, Dark Souls Remastered coming to PS4, XB1, Switch and PC on 5/25. Just a few months too late.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I wish they would do a PC version of Demon Souls or Bloodborne.

Or maybe reduce the cost of the DS3 DLC.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Scuzz wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:59 pm I wish they would do a PC version of Demon Souls
this Playstation 3 emulator is making progress...
https://rpcs3.net/
https://forums.rpcs3.net/thread-177110.html
works well but a little slow
https://rpcs3.net/blog/2017/03/11/des/
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

A little slow is not what you want to deal with in a souls game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the fact that it works at all right now is amazing to me. i thought a viable PS3 emu was years out.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:47 pm A little slow is not what you want to deal with in a souls game.
My reactions are a little slow in Dark Souls as it is, that is the last thing I want. :D
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I wish I could be more consistent with my parries.

The amount of punishment you take when you miss makes practicing tough.

I've practiced beside a bonfire so I can heal at will, but then you're limited to mobs near bonfires and not the really tough ones where parrying would be much more useful.

While many might claim the punishing combat is a pro (and I mostly agree), the lack of guidance with regard to the story and other game elements just makes it feel... I'm not sure. Empty? Dull? Confusing? Sparse?

I actually like the game, but having to discover gameplay elements (not just combat) through trial and error is less interesting than an RPG should be. Sure it's challenging, but the payoff is nothing but a little progression and personal satisfaction.

Sure rolling a rock up a hill and failing repeatedly until you finally make it gives you a sense of accomplishment, but it doesn't make the rock rolling fun.

Doing hard things just because they are hard appeals to certain gamers I'm sure, and I'm not one to shy away from difficult gameplay in general, but I like some motivation above and beyond simple success.

I'm over 10 hours in and all I know is that I'm not quite hollow and I've been chosen to do something that has still not been revealed to me.

I've killed a lot of skeletons and hollow though, so that's good I guess.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

New remastered HD version coming this summer.

This probably explains the lack of sales for the last year or so, as owners of the game can expect a discount for the HD version.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 pm I wish I could be more consistent with my parries.

I actually like the game, but having to discover gameplay elements (not just combat) through trial and error is less interesting than an RPG should be. Sure it's challenging, but the payoff is nothing but a little progression and personal satisfaction.
I have never been able to parry with enough consistency to make using the move worthwhile. I have tried practicing but it never helped. I do it from time to time, almost more by accident though. In DS3 you have the "kick the shield" parry that works almost better.

One reason I may not parry very well is I rarely use a shield designed for parrying, preferring to use a shield with good stability.

As for gameplay elements, I think Dark Souls may be the first game I have ever played that expected you to go to a wiki to see how things are done and where things might be and how things might work. I normally play games blind, but with DS that is a really hard thing to do because you will miss things.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Whoops, no discount on remastered version for current owners.

I was just thinking about holding off and playing the remastered version. Guess not.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Finished base game of DS 2 and at final boss of one of the dlcs. Think I like DS 1 better. Will sitick it out on the dlcs and see if I want to continue to DS 3.
Last edited by Montag on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
words
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:13 pm Whoops, no discount on remastered version for current owners.

I was just thinking about holding off and playing the remastered version. Guess not.
It was half price for current owners of the PC version. I am not sure if that is still the case.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:13 pm Whoops, no discount on remastered version for current owners.

It was half price for current owners of the PC version. I am not sure if that is still the case.
it was indeed the case
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm trying to give this a serious play attempt

I) having a difficult time remembering all the stick+button combinations for the moves/attacks/dodges/jumps/parries/feints/ripostes/items/etc
II) having an extra difficult time remembering to use all the available moves/attacks/dodges/jumps/parries/feints/ripostes/items/etc while actually in combat

i assume this will get better, but will it ever be painful to get there.

also should i play Prepare to Die or the Remastered version? i have both.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:30 am also should i play Prepare to Die or the Remastered version? i have both.
I've never played, but from what I recall from my research, it depends on whether you're willing to mod. Remastered looks better than the original, but the original with just a couple of basic visual mods looks better than the remaster. Otherwise I believe the content is the same.

I still plan to at least give this (or some souls-like) a try some day.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:57 am but the original with just a couple of basic visual mods looks better than the remaster.
this is intriguing - i need to find out what the latest mods are