Wolfenstein The New Order (2014)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Wolfenstein 2014

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote:I have almost no nostalgia for wolfenstein so the series hasn't had a lot of appeal for me. That said, you're little write-up sounds interesting, and I'm kind of "between" games right now. I've got several on the go, but nothing has a hold of my attention. I'll take a look.
Well, I gave it a try and have run out of steam on the bridge, trying to retrieve the scientist destined for the moon.

I hate to abandon it, but it's simply not holding my attention.

I'm thinking of returning to Bioshock for the 3rd (or is it 4th?) time, to see if I can finish the damn thing. Probably won't be able to, though.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Do you play it on normal or harder levels or have you come to grips with reality and put it on easy like I've been doing now for years? :D

I've come to learn that for many of these games I just don't have the skill anymore (or patience to get better), but I enjoy the story or gameplay enough that I'll keep chipping away on easy just to see everything. Anyway, I know there are #nevereasy players out there that rail against the very notion of putting it into anything below normal difficulty, but I figured I'd mention it if that's something that's getting in your way. I think the only exception I had to this rule was for Rock Band. Unless I was part of an Endless Setlist Attempt then I was always hard. And yeah, you read that right.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I made it to the moon and back again. I stalled out playing some boss monster at the base of a building. I know how to get past it - it's just a matter of coordinating my attacks. I haven't had the time to play in ages, though, and at this point I figure I'm probably done with it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote:Do you play it on normal or harder levels or have you come to grips with reality and put it on easy like I've been doing now for years? :D

I've come to learn that for many of these games I just don't have the skill anymore (or patience to get better), but I enjoy the story or gameplay enough that I'll keep chipping away on easy just to see everything. Anyway, I know there are #nevereasy players out there that rail against the very notion of putting it into anything below normal difficulty, but I figured I'd mention it if that's something that's getting in your way. I think the only exception I had to this rule was for Rock Band. Unless I was part of an Endless Setlist Attempt then I was always hard. And yeah, you read that right.
I think I'm playing on Hard, because I started it right after Doom and I was playing Doom on some of the more difficult settings, including ironman.

It's not the difficulty so much as a couple of fights have just been complete slugfests. A narrow corridor, no way to move around, just you and the enemy, and the enemy has a huge amount of hp, and I'm not sure if I'm doing any damage at all, if there's a trick, if there is specific weapon/ammo I'm supposed to be using.

I'm experiencing the same sort of thing in Bioshock right now, and I'm killing my first Big Daddies and they are a bit of a chore to take down (even though I'm only playing on Medium). On the plus side, there is no better targets for your specialized ammo/weapons. on the negative side, I've killed 3 but one of the little sisters ran off, so I have to kill another to rescue the final little sister on this level, and my heart just isn't in it.

New Order is sort of the same thing, but without the interesting little sister rescue and adam reward. Just a slugfest against heavily armoured mechanized dudes. Yawn. Haven't even made it to the moon yet.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Uh oh folks, that could be it for the Wolfenstein games. They've run afoul of the PC Police:
The video game Wolfenstein II, the latest iteration of an exercise in killing virtual Nazis, has angered Nazis with an online presence because it is about... killing Nazis.
Though I'm surprised they aren't protesting zombie games instead, being brain dead and all...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Does anyone remember what Wolfenstein game this thread refers to? There is no game called "Wolfenstein 2014"....The Old Blood came out in 2015...and the one prior was actually called just "Wolfenstein", which came out in 2009 (and is now abandonware apparently).
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:20 pm Does anyone remember what Wolfenstein game this thread refers to? There is no game called "Wolfenstein 2014"....The Old Blood came out in 2015...and the one prior was actually called just "Wolfenstein", which came out in 2009 (and is now abandonware apparently).
I assume this one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenste ... _New_Order
Jaymann

Re: Wolfenstein The New Order (2014)

Post by Jaymann »

Aye, that's the ticket!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Re: Wolfenstein The New Order (2014)

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:08 pm Aye, that's the ticket!
LOL, my OCD-lite thanks you for updating/correcting a thread title from...9 years ago. :D

Also, just played about 45m, and boy is this hectic compared to the previous title. The mechanics are SO different, and I am not sure I'm a huge fan, but maybe it will take some adjusting is all. Definitely more modern mechanics of course (but I prefer small things like "running over" ammo to pick it up instead of having to click "E" every time, ugh). Seems a bit more forgiving as well, but I am on what I assume is the first level, so....

But man, SO much going on around me, it's enough to flip my ADHD right out. I hope there are lower energy levels at some point, like sneaking around a lab, or castle, or whatnot, instead of what feels like putting me right in the middle of D-Day (like that first level from Medal of Honor if anyone remembers that). Geez. Sonic overload as well! :P