Wolfenstein The New Order (2014)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaymann

Wolfenstein The New Order (2014)

Post by Jaymann »

Anyone grab this yet? $60 on Steam seems a little steep.
Last edited by Jaymann on Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
IceBear

Re: Wolfenstein 2014

Post by IceBear »

Waiting for it to get much cheaper first. I wanted to pre-order just for the TF2 stuff, but not at that price
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I might be talked into it at half price or more.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Reviews seem to be pretty positive overall, which is a nice surprise. I think the biggest complaint is the texture pop-in (good to see they fixed that from when RAGE was released three years ago) and that it's optimized for last-gen consoles, not PC rigs.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'll pick it up for pennies in the next Humble Bundle, while demanding that Wolfenstein 2015 be on time, and superior in every way to 2014.

:P
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

It's a great game, particularly when compared to the sorry state of first person shooters these last few years. If you're tired of Call of Duty clones and want something that both feels old-school and progressive (with freedom of exploration and the ability to approach situations from multiple angles), this is for you. Believe it or not, but it's got a damn fine story with some damn fine acting too, and despite what it might look like, it's not a macho shooter at all.
Insert witty comment here.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Trailer looks great, and I love the way they show you how you can go through quietly, or via mayhem, in the same scenes. That first shot though, with grandpa...doing what he does...kinda jarred me, I will admit. I do see the old school FPS vibe as well, and am intrigued to say the least. Kinda reminds me of the old Medal of Honor games I loved so much.

But man it's hyper gory. Based on the trailer, it seems when you hit someone with a bullet, they have 6 grenades inside of them that go off. Small turnoff that I can live with, but also possibly able to be toned down in the settings.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Some of the videos I've seen showed VERY bad AI, but they also didn't show what level of difficulty they were playing on and the comments seemed to indicate it's quite easy on normal or lower. Again, no personal knowledge and hopefully they are wrong. Still, $60 is a lot for my budget right now when I have FPSers that I haven't finished yet
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Carpet_pissr wrote:But man it's hyper gory. Based on the trailer, it seems when you hit someone with a bullet, they have 6 grenades inside of them that go off. Small turnoff that I can live with, but also possibly able to be toned down in the settings.
It's not quite like that. I've finished the first 4 chapters, and the weapons I've had so far don't do much beyond making the enemies keel over. I'm sure some of the late-game weapons will make mincemeat out of enemies though.
IceBear wrote:Some of the videos I've seen showed VERY bad AI, but they also didn't show what level of difficulty they were playing on and the comments seemed to indicate it's quite easy on normal or lower. Again, no personal knowledge and hopefully they are wrong.
The AI competence depends on your difficulty level, supposedly. I've seen several people comment on how good the AI is, so take that for what it's worth.

Regardless, everyone I've heard talk about the game strongly recommends playing it on a high difficulty level, at least if you've got any experience at all with FPSes. On PC, you should be able to safely go up to the highest difficulty (Über) without any major issues, from what I've been told. On consoles, you might want to consider going one step lower than that, at the 4th of the 5 difficulties. I'm playing on Über on the PS4, and it's been very manageable so far. You can still kick tons of nazi ass, but the game really encourages you to be stealthy whenever possible on this difficulty.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Very cool easter egg:

A Nostalgic Visit
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LOVE it!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

TiLT wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:But man it's hyper gory. Based on the trailer, it seems when you hit someone with a bullet, they have 6 grenades inside of them that go off. Small turnoff that I can live with, but also possibly able to be toned down in the settings.
It's not quite like that. I've finished the first 4 chapters, and the weapons I've had so far don't do much beyond making the enemies keel over. I'm sure some of the late-game weapons will make mincemeat out of enemies though.
IceBear wrote:Some of the videos I've seen showed VERY bad AI, but they also didn't show what level of difficulty they were playing on and the comments seemed to indicate it's quite easy on normal or lower. Again, no personal knowledge and hopefully they are wrong.
The AI competence depends on your difficulty level, supposedly. I've seen several people comment on how good the AI is, so take that for what it's worth.

Regardless, everyone I've heard talk about the game strongly recommends playing it on a high difficulty level, at least if you've got any experience at all with FPSes. On PC, you should be able to safely go up to the highest difficulty (Über) without any major issues, from what I've been told. On consoles, you might want to consider going one step lower than that, at the 4th of the 5 difficulties. I'm playing on Über on the PS4, and it's been very manageable so far. You can still kick tons of nazi ass, but the game really encourages you to be stealthy whenever possible on this difficulty.
Yeah, someone posted a video of him walking up to Nazis with a knife and stabbing one to death while two others patrol nearby oblivious. I suspected that was a low difficulty setting, but then a few others jumped on the "me too, crappy AI bandwagon" so I wasn't sure
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Rumpy wrote:Very cool easter egg:

A Nostalgic Visit
Yeah, my desire to buy it just went up watching that :)
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

IceBear wrote:Yeah, someone posted a video of him walking up to Nazis with a knife and stabbing one to death while two others patrol nearby oblivious. I suspected that was a low difficulty setting, but then a few others jumped on the "me too, crappy AI bandwagon" so I wasn't sure
Oh, I was talking about the gunplay. The stealth is quite forgiving. It's not meant to be about pixel-perfect precision, and you wouldn't want it to be far more punishing than just going in guns blazing. Patrols will typically be alerted if they see a corpse (which could also alert nearby officers, bringing down serious reinforcements), but their line of sight is limited, and their reaction time is slow.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I really liked the Nostalgia clip.

I noted, though, that the player was regenerating quickly when not fighting. Is that also part of the game?

I'm really not a fan of regen in games where being on death's door can make fighting really tense.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Paingod wrote:I noted, though, that the player was regenerating quickly when not fighting. Is that also part of the game?
Regeneration is very limited. You regenerate health up to the nearest whole 20, but then it stops. To get any higher, you have to find med kits, food, or similar items. The environment is littered with them, but this design encourages you to keep moving instead of hunkering down behind cover. Once you're at full health, picking up any further health items will still give you that much additional health, but it drops away quickly until it reaches your regular maximum. It's possible to get your health up to very high levels this way, allowing you to go full Rambo without being afraid of losing your regular health.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

OO effect got me so I pulled the trigger (literally!). Not regretting it so far, Tilt has the right of it. Will give me something to play over the Holiday weekend.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My wife got me this for my birthday, so I've started playing (on PS3), and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm playing on the default difficulty, which is pretty easy. I may bump it up a bit, but there are still challenging parts here and there, and given how much time I have for gaming (i.e., not much), I may also just leave it here. I do enjoy the stealth implementation. Like some have said, it's pretty forgiving, but I was really enjoying the silenced head shots on the Nazi commanders in the first chapter. Great atmosphere, too.

Has anyone had any experience playing the different timelines yet? I'm playing the Fergus timeline, and I'm wondering how different things are if you go the other way. Not looking for spoilers - really asking more whether it's just some story changes or if it really impacts the whole game.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

AFAIK, the changes between the two timelines are the following: (no spoilers)
  • One gives you health upgrades, while the other gives armor upgrades.
  • One features lockpicking, while the other features circuit hacking.
  • There are differences in dialogue between the two characters.
  • One unique character in your hideout per timeline, with a unique story and dialogue.
  • Some secret areas are only accessible in one of two timelines, and some are accessible in different ways.
Apart from those things, the two timelines are similar.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Finished. Great game. Some places name it best game of 2014. I didn't hate the ending but it made me mad. At least it ended in such a way as to make a sequel perhaps.

Loved the song that played during the credits though. Very nice.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Priscilla.Mauger

Wolfenstein 2014

Post by Priscilla.Mauger »

Spam
Last edited by FishPants on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh yes many people dont realize how occult and scientific leaning they were. One of my favorite readings is about the Nazi 'bell'
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Daehawk wrote:Oh yes many people dont realize how occult and scientific leaning they were. One of my favorite readings is about the Nazi 'bell'
Everything I know about the Nazi Bell, I learned from Season 4, Episode 9 of "Ancient Aliens", a series which has the most amazing mix of fact and fiction I've ever seen.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think both my sister and my best friend liked that show.

Theres this great documentary about the Nazis looking for the Ark of the Covenant . It was made in the 80's and...wait.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Joining the party late, but I just started playing Wolfenstein New Order. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had so much fun with it I bought the addons on Old Blood. Still trying to finish it.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just finished, interesting ending, left things super-ambiguous. I didn't go for all the collectibles, of course. And yes, I went for the cheat code.
Spoiler:
it seems pretty obvious that they wanted to make a sequel where Frau Engel takes over from Deathshead and they couldn't figure out if they want BJ to return or not. The "obvious" explanation is he died in the atomic cannon blast, but did he really? ;)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I finished the addon the other night so done with both.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just finished The New Order. What a great game. It managed to take new gameplay ideas (multiple approaches to levels, progressing your character in a shooter with unlocks) and combine it with old school mechanics and feel (dual wielding rocket launchers!) in a way that just worked.

The characters were good, and the pacing was great. They managed to change up gameplay every little while, from casual shooting to (good) stealth to full auto mayhem and back. The AI was pretty bad, though ("Why are Hans and Fritz lying on the ground in ketchup? No matter. Back to patrol.")

I'm still glad I played it. It was just the right game at just the right time.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have almost no nostalgia for wolfenstein so the series hasn't had a lot of appeal for me. That said, you're little write-up sounds interesting, and I'm kind of "between" games right now. I've got several on the go, but nothing has a hold of my attention. I'll take a look.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I played through the whole thing treating the majority of it as a stealth game and would still recommend it. I’ve never been a fan of run-and-gun and while the stealth system isn’t as robust as a dedicated stealth game, it is surprisingly good for a game that lets you duel wield shotguns.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I enjoyed playing the 2014 Wolfenstein game so I'm pleased to hear The New Order was also enjoyable. It's definitely on my short list for the Holiday sale so thanks for the quick impressions.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote:I have almost no nostalgia for wolfenstein so the series hasn't had a lot of appeal for me. That said, you're little write-up sounds interesting, and I'm kind of "between" games right now. I've got several on the go, but nothing has a hold of my attention. I'll take a look.
SWINHUND!

It was the first floppy disk game I ever owned and... and the first to go bad...

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote:I enjoyed playing the 2014 Wolfenstein game so I'm pleased to hear The New Order was also enjoyable. It's definitely on my short list for the Holiday sale so thanks for the quick impressions.
Now I'm confused. What other Wolfenstein game was released in 2014? Perhaps you're thinking of The Old Blood, the standalone prequel from 2015?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Wasn't gaming at the time. Probably the only window of non-gaming in my life, once home computers were a thing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote:Now I'm confused. What other Wolfenstein game was released in 2014? Perhaps you're thinking of The Old Blood, the standalone prequel from 2015?
Yeah, I'm clearly confused with the titles. I played (and enjoyed) The New Order (2014). I didn't play (and thought you were talking about) The Old Blood (from 2015). If you could play that and get back to me in the next month, that would be great. I think I believed The New Order came out in 2013 and The Old Blood was released a year later in 2014. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Smoove_B wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Now I'm confused. What other Wolfenstein game was released in 2014? Perhaps you're thinking of The Old Blood, the standalone prequel from 2015?
Yeah, I'm clearly confused with the titles. I played (and enjoyed) The New Order (2014). I didn't play (and thought you were talking about) The Old Blood (from 2015). If you could play that and get back to me in the next month, that would be great. I think I believed The New Order came out in 2013 and The Old Blood was released a year later in 2014. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
adding to the confusion is Wolfenstein gets rebooted approximately every decade. original was 1981, first reboot was 1992, then 2001, then 2009.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: I didn't play (and thought you were talking about) The Old Blood (from 2015). If you could play that and get back to me in the next month, that would be great.
Have you seen my red Schwinglein?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Blackhawk wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: I didn't play (and thought you were talking about) The Old Blood (from 2015). If you could play that and get back to me in the next month, that would be great.
Have you seen my red Schwinglein?
:clap:
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

LordMortis wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:I have almost no nostalgia for wolfenstein so the series hasn't had a lot of appeal for me. That said, you're little write-up sounds interesting, and I'm kind of "between" games right now. I've got several on the go, but nothing has a hold of my attention. I'll take a look.
SWINHUND!

It was the first floppy disk game I ever owned and... and the first to go bad...

Oh the memories. Commodore 64 days were awesome.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs