Talisman

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Bad Demographic

Talisman

Post by Bad Demographic »

I picked up Talisman (video version of the board game) fourpack to share with my spousal unit and a couple of friends. My dumb question is how do I share it to them?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

Re: Talisman

Okay, I think I figured this part out. Does the recipient have to have a Steam account? (probably another dumb question).
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Bad Demographic wrote:Okay, I think I figured this part out. Does the recipient have to have a Steam account? (probably another dumb question).
Yes. (Nearly positive, at least.) In order to send a gift of a Steam game to someone, they must have a Steam account. Which makes sense, I guess, since they are going to need Steam and the account in order to play.

Note, I'm making assumption that you got the 4 pack through Steam and have Steam keys/licenses to dispense.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

If it's a Steam game, you can send them a key either by Steam ID or by email. Either way, in order to install the gift they will need a Steam account.
Bad Demographic

TheMix wrote: Note, I'm making assumption that you got the 4 pack through Steam and have Steam keys/licenses to dispense.
Yup.

Black Lives Matter
Bad Demographic

IceBear wrote:If it's a Steam game, you can send them a key either by Steam ID or by email. Either way, in order to install the gift they will need a Steam account.
Okay - thanks IceBear and theMix. I think person 4 doesn't yet have a Steam account. I'll have to let her know she needs one.

Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Yeah. I kind of glossed over it, but IB covered it. The person doesn't have to have an account. There are other ways to get them the key. However, since they are going to need the account to play, it will be easier to wait until the account is created and you get hooked up as friends on Steam. That makes it very easy to send the person the gift.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Ah, for a while there, I thought you might be talking about this game (not based on a board game though):

A terrific little puzzle game I picked up a few years ago through Amazon that ultimately proved too difficult for me. But I see that it's actually sold as "Talismania" for some reason.

So, nevermind. Useless trivia. :)
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You should give Droplitz a look. It used to be on Steam.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

How is Talisman? It's on sale for $3.74 during the Thanksgiving weekend Steam sale (base game, all the DLC is on sale, the Season pass is $30 (50% off normal).
tgb

Post by tgb »

Zenn7 wrote:How is Talisman? It's on sale for $3.74 during the Thanksgiving weekend Steam sale (base game, all the DLC is on sale, the Season pass is $30 (50% off normal).
It's OK, if you can get past the fact that it's 90% luck based. If you do get it, make sure you get the Grim Reaper expansion, which at least adds a little decision-making to the mix.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

90% is understating it - it's a glorified dice throwing game. That said, it is an entertaining diversion. It would be best on a phone or a tablet as a mobile time waster, really.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have a friend that comes to the weekend boardgaming event and will either throw this or Arkham Horror out on the boards with almost all of the expansions. :|

It's 90% competitive solitaire.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Thanks all. Sounds like I can have a little fun ($3.74 at least :) ). Got the Reaper DLC as well. While it's still on sale, any other highly recommended DLC? (Guessing if I don't get it today, I can always get it next month in the Xmas sale...). Seems like the xpacs (like Reaper) are better deal than the individual classes, was thinking about that Ice/Frost March one. The 3rd one wasn't as cheap. Wait til xmas, see if it gets a better discount (or if the game is fun enough I want to splurge a couple extra $ on it).

Have to say the Season pass did not seem that rewarding - everything combined was significantly cheaper - they'd have to release quite a bit more content to make that seem worth while.
Zarathud

Talisman

Post by Zarathud »

That 10% was sweet evil back in high school. We'd play in a big group and someone would inevitably end up playing as the gleeful spoiler. The last place player would have little to lose and take insane odds. I have all the FF edition and most of the Second edition.

Buying on tablet would be admitting my set will never see play.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This caught my attention until I saw the full game (Gold edition, which presumably means "free" dlc forever) is $79. I enjoyed 90% dice rolling for what it was. But I'd want the full game and for that price I think I'll wait however long it takes.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Bundlestar currently has Talisman and I think all of the current expansions on sale in a bundle ($13 for everything)

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/talisman-bundle

I've got the base game, and I was unimpressed when I played it. Do the expansions improve things, or is it just more of the same?
tgb

Post by tgb »

More of the same
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Lots more of the same.

Talisman was our go-to game along with Axis & Allies in High School when we took a break from D&D, Car Wars and Paranoia. It's survived on nostalgia for me.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Zarathud wrote:Lots more of the same.

Talisman was our go-to game along with Axis & Allies in High School when we took a break from D&D, Car Wars and Paranoia. It's survived on nostalgia for me.
I picked it up for the same reason. It's all random, but with the additional cards and characters, there are a lot more sources of random.

I have a spare key for the base game now, free to whomever wants it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Fretmute wrote:I have a spare key for the base game now, free to whomever wants it.
I'll try it for free and worry about if I want expansions later if that offer stands.

Though I'm actually debating figuring out what "bundlestar" is so I can get lots more of the same for $13.
KDH

Post by KDH »

.Enlarge Image
:ugeek: .. Talisman: The Horus Heresy @ gamersgate
Talisman: The Horus Heresy .............................................$3.42
Talisman: The Horus Heresy - Soundtrack .............................$11.99
Talisman: The Horus Heresy - Season Pass ............................$3.65
Talisman: The Horus Heresy - Isstvan Campaign DLC ................$2.99
Talisman: The Horus Heresy - Heroes & Villains 1 DLC ...............$2.99
Talisman: The Horus Heresy - Heroes & Villains 2 DLC ...............$4.98
Talisman: The Horus Heresy - Prospero ................................$2.87
Talisman: The Horus Heresy - Heroes & Villains 3 ....................$2.87

LordMortis wrote: ... Though I'm actually debating figuring out what "bundlestar" is so I can get lots more of the same for $13.

If it helps .. I've made several purchases from BundleStar
Shadow of Mordor-GOTY = $5
MadMax = $5
12>6 = $1
Batman 3-goty-bundle = $10

:oops: and .. except for my CC company deciding to get security conscious the week before my first purchase and denying the use as suspicious (overseas - UK) .. then the website locking my acct because I couldn't comprehend it not going thru and hammering the "Work, Dammit" button .. then me talking to said CC company and it still not working because the acct-lock by bundlestars, and me talking to customer service @ BS who wouldn't accept that my credit is flawless and kept making snide remarks about using paypal instead ... No problems at all ... smooth sailing after that first one
Ain't nobody got time for that
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

KDH wrote: :oops: and .. except for my CC company deciding to get security conscious the week before my first purchase and denying the use as suspicious (overseas - UK) .. then the website locking my acct because I couldn't comprehend it not going thru and hammering the "Work, Dammit" button .. then me talking to said CC company and it still not working because the acct-lock by bundlestars, and me talking to customer service @ BS who wouldn't accept that my credit is flawless and kept making snide remarks about using paypal instead ... No problems at all ... smooth sailing after that first one

That is exactly what happened with me for Steam Directly and my credit card. They each blamed each other. Neither would resolve the problem, saying there is no problem. Not wanting to lock my Steam account, I only make Steam purchases through paypal now.

I was going to to go straight to paypal with bundlestars, actually, if I opened an account to buy Monster Slayers and Talisman...
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I broke down and bought "the whole thing" so I don't need Fretmute's key if anyone else is interested.

Thank you again FM!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote:Lots more of the same.

Yeah, Talisman isn't actually a great game. I enjoyed it back in middle school and whatnot based on the flavor, and now I enjoy it somewhat based on nostalgia, but if you're coming at it clean it's pretty random and boring.

It does work well on the phone as a time waster, though. I've played a bunch of Horus Heresy on my phone for that reason.
Black Lives Matter.