Elite: Dangerous

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

raydude

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by raydude »

Also, you might want to at least try to play with Elite's flight model because currently that's how Chris Roberts wants Star Citizen to be like.

From Star Citizen forums, Chris Roberts himself:
Its also interesting to note that we're built to withstand much greater accelerations in certain directions - modern day pilots can withstand 9 G but much less negative Gs. Its why you see pilots rolling and pulling back on the stick when attempting aggressive maneuvers rather than pushing forward or yawing with a rudder. The same will be true in space. We're going to factor in G-Force in the simulation, and allow pilots to push the boundaries (or switch the IFCS safety off) in search for a little advantage, but beware if you back (or red) out in a dogfight you may come to floating in space next to the smoking wreck of your ship!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I tried 2 or 3 hours. I was tensed up like a rock and so stressed I wanted to break everything I had. My medical issues just wont allow me to play that way. They say they aren't changing it but in todays game market and with so many disgruntled I believe they will come around later and fix it. Those that think it isn't broken wont be affected as they can leave it gimped.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote:I tried 2 or 3 hours. I was tensed up like a rock and so stressed I wanted to break everything I had. My medical issues just wont allow me to play that way. They say they aren't changing it but in todays game market and with so many disgruntled I believe they will come around later and fix it. Those that think it isn't broken wont be affected as they can leave it gimped.
Ok, last try.

You know how cool it looks in Star Wars dogfights when the ships move like this?

That's what they're going for here. Roll, pull up. It's an intentional design decision. It makes dogfights play out more like the animation above. Without it, you pretty much just disable flight assist and point & shoot, whoever lands the first shot wins. That's what they mean by the 'turrets in space' flight model they're trying to avoid.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I understand completely what it is and what they are going for...I just dont like it and cant play it that way. Yes it looks good but I and many others find it un fun and uncontrollable. I did love Tie Fighter the PC game and it was not roll it was yaw...its a simple thing.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote:I tried 2 or 3 hours. I was tensed up like a rock and so stressed I wanted to break everything I had. My medical issues just wont allow me to play that way. They say they aren't changing it but in todays game market and with so many disgruntled I believe they will come around later and fix it. Those that think it isn't broken wont be affected as they can leave it gimped.
I think you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Have you seen how mad people are at the online requirement? I wouldn't expect that to change, either.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote:I understand completely what it is and what they are going for...I just dont like it and cant play it that way. Yes it looks good but I and many others find it un fun and uncontrollable. I did love Tie Fighter the PC game and it was not roll it was yaw...its a simple thing.
I think it's fewer people than you think.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Alefroth wrote:
Daehawk wrote:I understand completely what it is and what they are going for...I just dont like it and cant play it that way. Yes it looks good but I and many others find it un fun and uncontrollable. I did love Tie Fighter the PC game and it was not roll it was yaw...its a simple thing.
Yaw is two dimensional. I dont know why you'd want it as a primay for a three dimensional battlefield.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Don't know if this was posted already, but Zero Punctuation reviews Elite Dangerous
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

jztemple2 wrote:Don't know if this was posted already, but Zero Punctuation reviews Elite Dangerous
Holy crap. I've never seen one of those reviews.

I guess he was on the way to telling us he likes it and I appreciate the production effort, but it was so damn annoying I had to bail.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Yaw gon' make me lose my mind up in here, up in here
Yaw gon' make me go all out up in here, up in here
Yaw gon' make me act a fool up in here, up in here
Yaw gon' make me lose my cool up in here, up in here

;)
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

noxiousdog wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
Yaw is two dimensional. I dont know why you'd want it as a primay for a three dimensional battlefield.
Also, real spaceships have roll on the joystick x-axis. (Space shuttle, lunar lander)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

They aren't going to change it, as if they do they break the entire combat model. If you can simply sit in space and turn on a dime, you gain a huge advantage in combat. Then to be competitive I need to do the same. This is how they want the game to work, and so does the vast majority of the players. Are there threads on the official boards calling for a change?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As stated in one of the threads I linked I cant wait for someone to mod the offline yaw rate.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Did you read any of those threads you linked? I only clicked two but they were both filled with people saying "it was strange at first but now I like it" or people giving advice on how you can still maneuver great even with the yaw limitation.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Daehawk wrote:As stated in one of the threads I linked I cant wait for someone to mod the offline yaw rate.
"Offline"? What game are you playing, exactly?
Insert witty comment here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

wonderpug wrote:Did you read any of those threads you linked? I only clicked two but they were both filled with people saying "it was strange at first but now I like it" or people giving advice on how you can still maneuver great even with the yaw limitation.
Yup all of them. Dont get why you argue so much over it if you are happy. If they allow a slider then I will be too along with many others. You really should'nt fight against this.,
Last edited by Daehawk on Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't think anyone here is angry. Confused? Absolutely. But no anger.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Daehawk wrote:
wonderpug wrote:Did you read any of those threads you linked? I only clicked two but they were both filled with people saying "it was strange at first but now I like it" or people giving advice on how you can still maneuver great even with the yaw limitation.
Yup all of them. Dont get why you argue so much over it if you are happy. If they allow a slider then I will be too along with many others. You really should'nt fight against this.,
This is an online-only game. Allowing the controls you want would make the game much easier and unfairly favor the people playing that way, not to mention it would take plenty of development resources (contrary to what you may think, the ship moves through an actual physics model. Your ship turns because actual force is applied to it with thrusters) and a redesign of every ship in the game.

It's not going to happen, no matter how convenient you think your proposed "solution" is.
Insert witty comment here.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

So, going back to actual gameplay, I saw in the news feed that LHS 3447 is undergoing a boom. That translates to 10% off shipyard and outfitter purchases! I may afford my Asp sooner than I thought.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Oh, one more thing - I managed to break my X52 by some over-aggressive dogfighting. I was able to pick up the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, and boy, what a solid feeling set. All metal, super precise and just feels super quality. Not quite as intuitive out of the box for Elite, but now that I have the controls mapped I'm quite happy. So many buttons, switches and hats!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got an update on my boxed order.......
If you have ordered the Full or Upgrade Boxed Editions of Elite: Dangerous, we have been informed by our supplier that these will be delivered into our fulfilment centre mid February. Therefore deliveries of these items will begin shortly after.

If you have ordered both a boxed edition and other merchandise from the store, we will fulfil the additional merchandise items we have in stock and your boxed edition order will follow in February.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LOL

sorry..... let me get this straight.

You are on a budget..... and you bought the box version of this...
:horse:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

$10 more. Not on a budget right now.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

In the neverending attempt to broaden my gaming horizons, I decided to take the plunge on Elite Dangerous. This will be my first foray ever into space sims.

I've spent most of the afternoon watching tutorial videos, I just got home from Best Buy with a shiny new Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, and I think I'm ready. Wish me luck. :horse:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Brian

Post by Brian »

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Yeah, we are not off to a good start. Didn't realize that the actual game and the combat missions were separate downloads. Took me forever to figure out why my only options from the menu were tutorial missions. Got that one figured out (finally), and tried running the first combat tutorial mission.

Was kinda getting the hang of flying around, but apparently I'm missing something entirely when it comes to shooting. The mission had me shooting 6 barrels. No problem, right? I located the targets, lined them up in my cross-hairs, pulled the trigger...and nothing. Targeting reticule is directly on the barrel...nothing. I know the target is right in front of me (hell, I can actually run into it with my ship), but my bullets are apparently just passing right on through them.

Guess figuring out how to make bullets work will be my first order of business. :oops:

EDIT: Here's the video, maybe one of you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

That does look odd -- maybe try targeting the container next time?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

"Hey, duh" moment #1: Bullets only hit things that are actively targeted. Simply shooting at them without being targeted doesn't do anything.

Completed my first docking sequence on the first try and think I kinda sorta understand the whole galaxy map travel thing. I'd call that an unqualified success for a first try.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

After playing for a week using a basic joystick, I broke down and ordered a Saitek x52, which arrived this afternoon. I was thoroughly enjoying Elite Dangerous before, but this HOTAS setup takes it to a whole 'nother level. I have never had as immersive of a gaming experience as when I throttled away from my first docking bay using those controls. I know it's a little silly, but I actually shut off all the lights in my office so I could make a few cargo delivery runs with nothing but the monitor and the glow from the controls. It was the closest thing I'll ever get to feeling like I'm truly piloting a spaceship....and it was absolutely awesome.

This game is scratching an itch that I never even knew I had. So much fun.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Skinypupy wrote:After playing for a week using a basic joystick, I broke down and ordered a Saitek x52, which arrived this afternoon. I was thoroughly enjoying Elite Dangerous before, but this HOTAS setup takes it to a whole 'nother level. I have never had as immersive of a gaming experience as when I throttled away from my first docking bay using those controls. I know it's a little silly, but I actually shut off all the lights in my office so I could make a few cargo delivery runs with nothing but the monitor and the glow from the controls. It was the closest thing I'll ever get to feeling like I'm truly piloting a spaceship....and it was absolutely awesome.

This game is scratching an itch that I never even knew I had. So much fun.
As a piece of advice, don't *ever* play Elite with an Oculus Rift if you don't own one. The experience was absolutely amazing, and I'm now crushed I don't have one.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got an email saying my order had been received at the warehouse and it was on it's way. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on. It must be my boxed version of the game. Sweet!
We're pleased to report that your order was received by our warehouse today at 6:00pm.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Skinypupy wrote:I know it's a little silly, but I actually shut off all the lights in my office so I could make a few cargo delivery runs with nothing but the monitor and the glow from the controls.
OMG, I can't believe you did that.

:ninja:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Pyperkub wrote:Now on Steam!
My understanding is that if you got the game directly from Frontier you'll be able to get a Steam key. The question is, will I be able to transfer my current level/character/funds/etc?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I would wildly speculate that all of that is tied to your RSI account rather than your Steam account.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isn't RSi Star Citizen?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm thinking Steam sale incoming...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
WarPanda

Post by WarPanda »

Is this game an MMO? I read about it but it seems very unclear to me if its just some single player sim game or an MMO'ish game.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

>nevermind<
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.