Elite: Dangerous

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

wonderpug

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by wonderpug »

WarPanda wrote:Is this game an MMO? I read about it but it seems very unclear to me if its just some single player sim game or an MMO'ish game.
Everyone is playing in and influencing the same persistent universe, so in that sense it's massively multiplayer, but:

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

You could play for hours in populated space and never see another player. There are also billions of stars to visit, so if you fly off into the unknown you're less and less likely to see anyone. If you want to see more other players, there are star systems people are collectively agreeing to gather at, as well as big community events designed to draw people together to influence a faction of gather materials for a new space station or something.

There is also a solo mode that lets you play without having any chance at all to encounter another player. In this mode your actions do still influence the same universe simulation as all the other players.
WarPanda

Post by WarPanda »

So outside of the solo mod, it is essentially open PVP as well? In the sense that you can fire on whatever ship you see fit? I am assuming in certain zones there maybe consequences. Or are there restrictions on open firing on people in the game?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

WarPanda wrote:So outside of the solo mod, it is essentially open PVP as well? In the sense that you can fire on whatever ship you see fit? I am assuming in certain zones there maybe consequences. Or are there restrictions on open firing on people in the game?
If you are near a space station you're pretty safe, since the station and local police will obliterate anyone making unprovoked attacks. Out in the wild, it is indeed open PVP. A PVP oriented player will probably have an interdiction module that will let him try to pull you out of your protected hyperspace travel.

You have a chance (via a sort of targetting minigame) to completely evade his interdiction, but if he succeeds he'll pull you out of hyperspace and you will have to deal with him while your hyperdrive recovers.

If you're near NPC ships when you get attacked (like in a mining area or something), your faction affiliations with those NPC ships play a part in determining how much they care about helping you.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

So, it's currently on sale this weekend. Now that some time has passed, what is the verdict? Have the PvP fears come true with space douchebags running rampant? Is it stable now?
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wish i could tell you. Ive owned it half a year at least and not touched it yet.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Buatha wrote:So, it's currently on sale this weekend. Now that some time has passed, what is the verdict? Have the PvP fears come true with space douchebags running rampant? Is it stable now?
You'll have a blast if you're the type who can find/make your own fun in an open ended game. If you need a storyline or carrot-on-a-stick incentives to keep you going, you may not be as happy.

As for longevity, I'd say the late game content is a bit lacking still. I had a lot of fun moving up the ship and upgrade ladder, but I stalled out when I hit a point where I'd have little or no progress without doing some long boring grinding.

I still love the game, but I'm waiting for one or two more content updates before I dive back in.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Okay, this is Buatha Five, and I'm going in.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Okay, so I've brought the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS out of retirement and I was wondering if anyone else is using it.

I seem to have a lot of deadspace on the throttle and can't find a way to lessen it. I almost go 1/4 forward before any action to throttle occurs...is this normal? In Windows, after calibration, it shows immediate movement when I inch it forward.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Others can probably speak to this with more accuracy but there is likely a custom bind profile for your setup available for download.

I was having similar issues with my Logitech Wingman Xtreme. Once I downloaded the bind profile it worked like butta'

Unfortunately, I can't tell you where to go look but I expect it shouldn't be too hard to find.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Buatha wrote:Okay, so I've brought the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS out of retirement and I was wondering if anyone else is using it.

I seem to have a lot of deadspace on the throttle and can't find a way to lessen it. I almost go 1/4 forward before any action to throttle occurs...is this normal? In Windows, after calibration, it shows immediate movement when I inch it forward.
I used a T-flight HOTAS for the first couple of months that I was playing, then picked up a good deal on an X-55 Rhino.

If the throttle is properly calibrated in Windows, the only thing I can think of would be to check the controls options in the game to see if you have an excessive deadzone set for the throttle axis.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Yes, I saw the option, but it's set just like yours. Within Windows, it shows that proper slight movement increments the throttle, but the game doesn't register it. Otherwise, it's all good.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Yep, I'm an idiot. I didn't realize you actually had to select the X and Y Axis in addition to the + / - settings for each Axis.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Well, I guess they don't call it dangerous for nothing. On my very first run, I was Interdicted by an NPC criminal. He's dead now, but still, it was exciting.

I'm still not quite comfortable with my controls, but I get the job done..

Just for my curiosity, there's no difference between solo and online with regard to your pilot? I noticed that either option takes you back to where you were in either mode?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Buatha wrote:Just for my curiosity, there's no difference between solo and online with regard to your pilot? I noticed that either option takes you back to where you were in either mode?
I do believe this is true.

I've been following this thread for months, but it's also been months since I've hooked up my joystick and tooled around in ED. I guess I got bored with it, although that was after a couple of dozen hours. I think I had the most fun setting up VoiceAttack so that I hardly ever had to touch my keyboard.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

So far, I've just not seen enough ways to make money other than bounties. The two large bounties I received were simply NPCs that attacked me. The last bounty I accepted had to be abandoned since I don't know a way to find the guy other than fly around the system and target everything...which got old pretty fast. In a bizarre twist, when I found my actual target, a human player interdicted me and gave me 4 canisters of palladium for about $50K.

Is there some sort of universal price locator like in X3? Or, is the best information you can get is buying system information in the sense of import/exports/services?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Solo and online are in the same persistent universe, but in solo mode the matchmaking always puts you in your own instance.

So far as I know, there is no ingame price tracking system. The general rule is to use the system/station's economy type to determine whether a particular commodity should be in supply or in demand. There is a quick reference guide here, but I think you can see the information ingame by looking at the commodity description.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Thanks, Max. I can honestly say I got a little spoiled by X3's ability to place satellites in systems to track pricing.

I'm still digging the game and I can't wait for a ready-for-primetime Occulus headset.

Oh, yeah, in-game I'm also Buatha for all of my OO peeps.
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

For trading there are several different reference sites and calculators. Not much of a trader myself, but you may want to check them out --

http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/
or Slopey's BPC Market Tool (info @ https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... highlight=)

Or you might want to look into rares trading. I've messed around with that a bit - basically pick up a series of rare goods from certain systems -- they're only available in small quantities. Transport them to another system around 200 LY away and sell them off for a decent profit. Here's a list of most of them -- http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/L ... ommodities

For bounties - you can either seek out the target in supercruise and interdict or follow their low energy wake if they drop out into normal space. Or fly around seeking Unidentified Signal Sources (USS), they will pop up at random -- and you'll eventually (usually) find your target. Sometimes they'll pop up at the nav beacon - I've seen this when on a generic mission to hunt no name pirates or bounty hunters. You also have weak signal sources and strong signal sources - beware of the SSS ones if you are alone, they usually consist of multiple wings of heavy ships (like vultures or pythons or even anacondas). Of course you can also go to resource extraction sites (RES) and seek out some targets there -- NPC criminals are always spawning to go after the honest miners in those areas.

If you're consistently out bounty hunting consider getting a kill warrant scanner (KWS) - you can use this to scan targets for additional, non-local bounties which ups their kill value even more.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

If anyone is worried that we're going to run out of new systems for players to explore, here's from the latest newsletter:
So far an incredible 11.3 million systems have been explored by players. At the current rate of play the Elite: Dangerous community will have charted the galaxy's 400 billion star systems in 23,417 years. We'll be finished by the year 25,432, so here's hoping 255th century computers are PC compatible.
Yeah, the galaxy is huge.
Insert witty comment here.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

TiLT wrote:If anyone is worried that we're going to run out of new systems for players to explore, here's from the latest newsletter:
So far an incredible 11.3 million systems have been explored by players. At the current rate of play the Elite: Dangerous community will have charted the galaxy's 400 billion star systems in 23,417 years. We'll be finished by the year 25,432, so here's hoping 255th century computers are PC compatible.
hehe Yeah, the people worrying about running out of room don't have a proper grasp of the numbers we're talking about here.

I love showing friends a section of space on the galaxy map that's zoomed in, but still teeming with stars, and slowly zooming out so they can see that mass of stars they were looking at isn't even the size of a pixel once the whole Milky Way is in view.

"It's a great big universe and we're all really puny..."
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

A surprising experience today. While looking for a pirate for an elimination mission, I saw an Unidentified Signal Source. So, I drop out of Super Cruise and see 4 Gold canisters. I'm thinking, "Sweet!" right until the wing of 6 pirates show up and kill me while trying to scoop one of them up. Yes, I fell for the oldest trick in the book.

Anyway, is there a way to respond directly to NPCs? I can't tell if these are just "atmosphere" or not, but every now and then I'll get a direct "Hey, you're a difficult person to reach" message from what appears to be an NPC.
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

Sounds like you hit a Strong Signal Source -- I found out about those the hard way too :)

Not really any way to communicate with NPCs. If you see those kinds of messages, they're usually going to offer you an alternative to one of your current missions. Basically double cross or betray your current employers -- if you follow them out of supercruise. Or they could be hunting you for some reason...
Brian

Post by Brian »

TiLT wrote:If anyone is worried that we're going to run out of new systems for players to explore, here's from the latest newsletter:
And this guy is attempting to fly to the center of it.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The puppeteers will be involved somehow. ..
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Elite: Dangerous has its hooks into me, yes it does. My son is now asking if I'm going to play any other game since that's all he sees me fire up.

I've been "role-playing" a bit as a down-on-his-luck trader who lost everything on a risky trade run and is starting over with a simple Sidewinder as that's all Chapter 7 bankruptcy would provide to pay back his debt. While I don't do Assassination or Slave jobs, I've been known to run some wacky tobacco if you know what I'm sayin'.

I've been doing fairly well with trading, but man, the weed runs are around $90K-$110K for the two I received and difficult to pass up. I'm not sure how bad it is when you get caught, but so far, I've avoided The Man. I know I can run straight for combat bounties, but those are more the pepper to my dinner. I'm sitting on about $650K with quite a few mods to the Sidewinder ready to be sold back to get me to maybe $750K. I think I'm moving up to the Cobra and sticking to some trade runs to ensure I can kit it out well before venturing out into the deep black.

Once the Occulus hits retail, I may need to install a toilet in my office.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Buatha wrote:Once the Occulus hits retail, I may need to install a toilet in my office.
The Rift is such a game changed for Elite: Dangerous. I won't even play this game anymore without it, and since Windows 10 doesn't support the Rift right now, Elite is off the table foe me at the moment.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

TiLT wrote:
Buatha wrote:Once the Occulus hits retail, I may need to install a toilet in my office.
The Rift is such a game changed for Elite: Dangerous. I won't even play this game anymore without it, and since Windows 10 doesn't support the Rift right now, Elite is off the table foe me at the moment.
Yeah. Rift is a day one purchase for me, and I've shelved Elite for the time being so it will be fresh and new once I can come back to it.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New expansion coming this year that adds landing on rocky, airless planets:
https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/247

Sounds like it's available for preorder now in the Elite store.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

They've been teasing a big announcement for a few weeks now, and this was pretty much exactly what I expected them to announce. I can't wait to fly into the atmosphere of a planet with the Oculus Rift, truly appreciating the scale of the planet beneath me. It's the kind of experience I can't even imagine, as I've tried nothing quite like it on the Rift so far. The closest was a demonstration of galactic scale where I was put in front of a star that was so huge that it just felt like I was sitting in front of a wall that stretched for infinity in all directions around me. It was breathtaking, and that's what I'm hoping Horizons will be too.

I'm very glad that I have the lifetime expansion pass thanks to the Kickstarter campaign.
Krillin

Post by Krillin »

Just noticed that the lifetime passes for this game are available again.

https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/games ... pass.html/
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Whoa, $195 for the expansion pass? Seems like Kickstarter backers got one hell of a deal. I pledged what was effectively $133 and got a huge collection of digital stuff and options, including the expansion pass.
Frost

Post by Frost »

is anyone still playing this? I'm pining for a good space game currently. You guys still recommend this or is it a quick burnout?
Some MoFo's are always trying to ice skate uphill - Blade
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Frost wrote:is anyone still playing this? I'm pining for a good space game currently. You guys still recommend this or is it a quick burnout?
I haven't played in a good while but I'm eager to jump back in once the next big patch hits. I'd still heartily recommend it if you are good with total sandbox games where you make your own way, and would need to know more about your likes/dislikes to be able to recommend it if you generally prefer having a storyline or a set sequence of carrots on sticks to guide you along.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Frost wrote:is anyone still playing this? I'm pining for a good space game currently. You guys still recommend this or is it a quick burnout?
I'm in the awkward position of not being able to play it currently, at least not with the Oculus Rift (and I don't want to play without it). There are no Windows 10 drivers for the Rift right now, and even when they are released (perhaps next week), Elite: Dangerous won't support them. We still have no idea when Elite will be updated to support the latest drivers.

I'll play this game again as soon as they manage to get VR support back in, but I have no idea when that's going to happen. Considering Elite: Dangerous is considered the best VR game out there right now, you'd think Oculus would offer any help they could to get this working.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

I'm still playing. I think I have fired it up at least 3 or 4 times a week, since it was released in December (I was not a KS backer).

Between job & family (and Rocket League) I don't get as much time to play as some, so I haven't reached the "end state" (fully-fitted Anaconda with essentially limitless cash) so haven't been bored yet.

That said, I haven't been at all interested in the PowerPlay release, so haven't touched that part of the game yet. I've been out exploring for long stretches, looking at stuff like this:

Conform or be cast out!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, so this is on sale on Steam for about 26 bucks. I've always wanted it, but it's not something I'm chomping at the bit to play immediately (obviously).

However, I took the time to read some of the news surrounding the game before I hit that buy button, and I came across some angry posts from current owners (both retail and kickstarter backers) complaining about an upcoming expansion called Horizons and the fact that those buying that game on release were going to be paying one price to get both the original AND the expansion (or whatever they're calling it). While current owners will be paying yet again for the game.

Soooo...should I just hold off until Horizons releases? Or bite now?
Covfefe!
Frost

Post by Frost »

hepcat wrote:Okay, so this is on sale on Steam for about 26 bucks. I've always wanted it, but it's not something I'm chomping at the bit to play immediately (obviously).

However, I took the time to read some of the news surrounding the game before I hit that buy button, and I came across some angry posts from current owners (both retail and kickstarter backers) complaining about an upcoming expansion called Horizons and the fact that those buying that game on release were going to be paying one price to get both the original AND the expansion (or whatever they're calling it). While current owners will be paying yet again for the game.

Soooo...should I just hold off until Horizons releases? Or bite now?

I'm in this very dilemma. I think current owners get $10 off Horizons (which is BS, should be a larger discount), whereas someone who hasn't bought the game essentially gets the expansion for the same price and only pays $10 for the original the way they've priced it.

I guess it just depends on how badly you want to play now. Is it worth paying the extra $16 to play for the next 3 (or maybe more depending on delays) months before Horizons is released?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nah, I can hold off on it if it means I'll be saving some cash later. Thanks!
Covfefe!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Anyone have any advice on the current state of smuggling?

I've never smuggled, short of dropping stolen goods off at anarchist stations, but last night I flew out to Sothis, a new system on the far frontier, because it's currently generating long haul missions that pay out in the millions, but a lot of the best ones are smuggling missions.

If I have to take a cargo of illegal goods into a station is the idea still to cut power and emissions and drift in, or do I have a better chance if I just racing in fast and doing some reckless docking? I don't want to make the 50 or so jumps necessary only to have my cargo confiscated once I get there. :P
Frost

Post by Frost »

I've found that racing in works for me, but never cut power and floated in. I don't think you'll lose your cargo if found, but only receive a fine. I'm not the authority on this though, so hopefully someone else can shed light on this?