STYX: Master of Shadows ... New Stealth Game?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

KDH

STYX: Master of Shadows ... New Stealth Game?

Post by KDH »

STYX: Master of Shadows ... Apparently STYX is a goblin, a master thief, and all-around handsome guy

This was shown on the front page of STEAM yesterday, and it was the first time I'd even heard of it .. since most of you probably get around more than I do, web-wise, does anybody know anything they'd like to share
Ain't nobody got time for that
tgb

Re: STYX: Master of Shadows ... New Stealth Game?

Post by tgb »

Yes, it's being developed by the appropriately-named Cyanide Studios, who specializes in taking good game ideas and turning them into poor to mediocre product. For that reason alone I would be very, very, cautious.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Yes, it does looks so wonderful. And with a 20% off pre-order and a good price to start with, I would be all over it except that it's, well ... Cyanide. Very appropriate name for this developer. I will wait for reviews and hope.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I have no hope :) But, I am often wrong on things so maybe I will be this time....I hope :)
tgb

Post by tgb »

ColdSteel wrote: Cyanide. Very appropriate name for this developer.
"Cyanide - Where Game Ideas Go To Die"
"Cyanide - We Turn Good Ideas Into Poor Product"
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

"Cyanide - The poison pill of games"
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Jag

Post by Jag »

I really don't have too much time on my hands for this game.
Brian

Post by Brian »

It doesn't take a crystal ball to know that was going to happen eventually.

But maybe I'm just fooling myself.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I don't believe it.
-mf
Hamsterball_Z

Post by Hamsterball_Z »

I don't see how this could be good but if you buy it you can show me the way.
(HBZ)
KDH

Post by KDH »

I think this released today

a couple tubes for your vidification

Image <--- (11min, fast and informative)

and ..

Image <-- (47min)

controls seem to be the usual floaty console drek .. but I shall keep it in mind for a winter sale
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

One of the GT folks (Dante Rising) decided to take a bullet and pick this up. He has a couple of nice feature posts over there if you want to check it out.
-mf
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

These are the best OF TIMES for stealth game fans. :ninja:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

KDH wrote: controls seem to be the usual floaty console drek .. but I shall keep it in mind for a winter sale
We all need controls.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Alefroth wrote:
KDH wrote: controls seem to be the usual floaty console drek .. but I shall keep it in mind for a winter sale
We all need controls.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image
:horse: ... The follow-up game to this title .. Styx_Shards_of_Darkness .. received a free DEMO as of yesterday
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
3.8 GB
announcement

We're happy to release of the Styx: Shards of Darkness free demo, along with a 40% discount on the full game.

During this demo, you will be able to sneak around the tutorial level of Styx: Shards of Darkness. Welcome to Thoben the City of Thieves, where you have to help Styx hide, sneak, assassinate and steal the pay of the local guards while getting a very first taste of the praised level design of the game, newly upgraded acrobatics, new gadgets and tools and Styx' trademark attitude.

You can upgrade to the full game during or at the end of the demo to continue your adventure. You will be able to keep the saves created during the demo, to use in the full version of the game.

Enlarge Image
BOOM! goes the dynamite
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

No love for the sequel? After purchasing it during the Steam winter sale I finished it this week. Tolerable stealth game if not spectacular.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't finish the first one. I really liked it and was fun but as I am want to do something shinier grabbed me and I quit.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:02 pm I didn't finish the first one. I really liked it and was fun but as I am want to do something shinier grabbed me and I quit.
I bought the first game when it was on sale for dirt cheap but I have never gotten around to playing it (like nearly all games I buy when they are on sale for dirt cheap :oops: ).
The education of a man is never completed until he dies. --Robert E. Lee
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Considering there were only a dozen posts for the original you think there would be much interest in the sequel. I am not sure I finished the first mission in the original. There was an optional goal that I couldn't figure out how to get and I uninstalled it. Steam says I played 73 minutes. :lol:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I could have sworn I bought the original, but it's not in my library. I've seen that it goes on sale often, so I'll pick it up sometime soon.
KDH

Post by KDH »

.... :coffee: ... Bigben acquires Cyanide for 20 million Euros
Spoiler:

Monday 14th May 2018

Today, Bigben Interactive announced it has acquired Cyanide, the French development studio behind recent release Styx: Shards of Darkness and the upcoming title Call of Cthulhu. Bigben purchased Cyanide for €20 million ($24 million), obtaining 100% of the company's shares and voting rights.

Bigben's acquisition of Cyanide is a notable step forward for the publishing company, which has been gradually wading into development. Recently, it gained more stake in Kylotonn Racing Studio, a developer focused on racing titles such as WRC 7 and the recent FlatOut 4: Total Insanity. By taking on Cyanide as well, Bigben aims to develop a wider scope of games, including strategy, narrative, shooters, sports management, and action-adventure.

Cyanide's portfolio indicates a good fit for such ambitions. It currently has nine games in development across PC, Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and mobile. Besides the Styx stealth games, Cyanide has been responsible for the Pro Basketball Management series, the Space Hulk shooter series, fantasy sports series Blood Bowl, various cycling games, and the Horse Racing Manager series. Bigben Interactive published the very first Horse Racing Manager game in 2003 (its only past publishing partnership with Cyanide), although Focus Home Interactive has published the majority of Cyanide's titles since.

While Cyanide is already going to broaden Bigben's catalogue, the studio is hoping its new parent company's resources will allow it to similarly diversify its own development slate. CEO and co-founder Patrick Pligersdorffer will remain in charge of Cyanide and retain creative autonomy.

The acquisition is expected to close in June 2018. Cyanide will maintain its existing agreements with publishers, with Call of Cthulhu, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, and Space Hulk: Tactics to be published by Focus Home Interactive.