Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Post by GreenGoo »

Lorini wrote:Alrighty guys, thanks very very much for the help. I want to enjoy this game so much but I keep getting clobbered.
Run. Run far away. The moment things get too tough, just turn heel and bolt. I've run halfway across the map a few times.

It's hard for me to remember detailed strategy because it's been awhile, but I finished the game twice and the second time I intentionally made all the "worst' choices I could for skills and whatnot to try to increase the difficulty, because as Smoove says, eventually you're an unstoppable juggernaut.

We could give you piles of general advice (and some good suggestions already have been made) but can you tell us exactly what you're struggling with? How do you find a one on one fight? Easy? Hard? Challenging but doable? What about 2 on 1?

Is stealth a problem for you? Are certain mission types confusing or do you feel you're outclassed by the missions being offered you?

Like I said, I don't recall specifics too well right now, but the "leap over guys" (edit: I see many people mentioned this already. That's because it's crazy good) is a great move to get out of trouble, and once you add a stun to it, it became my "go to" move if things got rough. While in your animation you are immune to damage, so as long as you keep rolling over the backs of guys, you can't be hurt. At which point you run into the guys who stop you from rolling over them and things get interesting again but you can literally roll back and forth across guys all the way through a fortress, immune the whole time.

The bow is a bit tricky until you get some focus and arrows. My first play through I tried to use it too much before I had the skills to make it effective. That was mildly frustrating I recall.

What level are you? The game is at it's most challenging right at the beginning. It's like a reverse difficulty curve. Some choices you make can be considered Suboptimum at the beginning, but that's only because it slows you down from getting some extremely powerful skills for a bit. Sub-optimum is still completely doable, so don't stress about making mistakes when picking skills.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Once you combine the roll-over with the exploding head and the runes that give health on head explosions, you pretty much stop dying except to some level 20 warchiefs who just happen to be immune to everything.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I think the biggest is what Blackhawk mentioned. I think most of us have played multiple Assassin's Creed and Arkham games and the parry/counter system is second nature. With the exception of ranged guys, once you are caught out of stealth, you are almost always better off reacting than acting. Parry, counter, kill, parry, counter, kill, etc until there are no more bad guys or your health is getting low and you run!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, the combat is all about defense. A typical fight isn't 'go kill', it is parrying and getting in an odd hit here and there until your sword glows, then killing an orc with the combo, then repeating. If you're wading in and just trying to chop up the orcs, you'll die, and fast.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Blackhawk wrote:Once you combine the roll-over with the exploding head and the runes that give health on head explosions, you pretty much stop dying except to some level 20 warchiefs who just happen to be immune to everything.
Well I did a decent job of parrying but still died twice in five minutes of play. I get overwhelmed with orcs and they all beat up on me at the same time and I die. I think I'll try GG's strategy of running next time.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lorini wrote: I get overwhelmed with orcs and they all beat up on me at the same time and I die. I
Tumble to the edge of the pack.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and stay away from the fortress/city/stronghold whatever places until you are stronger and more comfortable in combat
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Don't neglect the opener. You should be popping out of stealth and instantly killing one of them to start (ideally). This could mean creeping up to a pack that's sitting around fire or sneaking in behind the last one if they're patrolling or dropping from a ledge. If there are too many, creeping around a structure (camp, ruins) staying in cover and attracting them one by one to your location is another great way to thin the herd.

But yeah, running to a white forge tower and climbing up always works. In fact, perhaps hang out near one of them while you're trying to practice this so you can use the tower for quick escape. Also, make sure before you try to ambush any of these groups you slip into Wraith mode and scout around for named Orc leaders that might hear the combat and come running.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

This is one of those times where video would help. 5 seconds of watching a fight and we'd be able to write you an essay on how to improve.

Defense is absolutely the key. I think it's possible to turn off visual indicators of when an attack is incoming and when it's time to parry in the options. Make sure this is on! The game will literally tell you when you need to parry.

If it gets too crowded (but not waves of orcs) you can run a bit to string them out, then re-engage. This will keep them from surrounding you and attacking your flank/rear. If the crowd is big enough, just parry until your blade is blue then murderize one of them with an insta-kill like Blackhawk said. You can actually do this all day when you get better, and in fact one of the missions (sword mission) is to do exactly that. It was kinda hard for me the first run through. It was second nature and fun as heck the second run through.

Don't always go for a full combo, and definitely break your combo to parry when the game tells you you need to parry. Whittle away at their health. It might take awhile, but as long as you're not in an infinite spawn situation (and you shouldn't be unless you've crashed a stronghold too early) you'll get through them eventually.

The entire combat system is based on parry/riposte, so keep that in mind. When you see a couple of orcs, don't think "Imma gonna swing my sword at that guy", instead think "that guy is gonna attack me and I'm gonna need to block it". This might seem like I'm saying the opposite of Smoove's opener comments, but not really. You're going to have to start blocking sooner or later. Smoove's way is better because you instantly start the fight with 1 fewer orcs, but once that happens, you're back to parry/riposte.

You can get fancy after you get good at the basics. Parrying is a core skill that you must master. Luckily it's not hard and in fact it's WAY easier in Shadow than it is in Batman: Arkham Asylum, which is the only other game of this nature that I've played.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yep, just downloaded OBS so I can provide you guys a video. Probably won't be until Sunday though. Again I really appreciate the thoughts!!!!
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, cool!
naednek

Post by naednek »

Just do what I do. I pretend the nemesis system consists of the LA Dodgers Roster. It makes me play better. Puig dies alot.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

naednek wrote:Just do what I do. I pretend the nemesis system consists of the LA Dodgers SF Giants Roster. It makes me play better. Puig Posey dies alot.
You knew that was coming.

In other news, my recording session was not successful so back to the drawing board on how to use OBS. It recorded the audio but not the video.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

My son is home now and it turns out my video was successful, but Quicktime is not very good. So here is is, and hopefully you guys can help me out:

ignore sorry. I'll try again.
Last edited by Lorini on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lorini wrote:My son is home now and it turns out my video was successful, but Quicktime is not very good. So here is is, and hopefully you guys can help me out:

http://youtu.be/PiXdlOcwxWU
Oh! Try turning on the monitor when you play. ;)

Your video is just blackness.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote:
Lorini wrote:My son is home now and it turns out my video was successful, but Quicktime is not very good. So here is is, and hopefully you guys can help me out:

http://youtu.be/PiXdlOcwxWU
Oh! Try turning on the monitor when you play. ;)

Your video is just blackness.
Or use your wraith vision!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Nope it didn't work. So back to the drawing board but this time I'll make sure my son helps me out.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

After reading all 8 pages of this thread I decided to try this game again. I deleted my previous save game and started over since I had forgotten most of the game mechanics. It has been much better the second time around as I figure things out. Thanks OO!
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Finished with 92.8%. One of the few games where I did most of the side quests.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This and Witcher 3 are my two biggest games I haven't played. I tried a little Mordor back a ways but couldn't get into it. But Im thinking maybe Witcher first.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere wrote:Finished with 92.8%. One of the few games where I did most of the side quests.
Cool. It was my first game of this type, so it had a bit of a learning curve for me.

I think after a couple of batmans, sleeping dogs and tomb raider, going back to this would be too easy. I wish the game was a bit more challenging. Maybe they've added difficulty levels since it was first released?

I'm glad you liked it. Killing orcs is pretty damn satisfying.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo wrote:I wish the game was a bit more challenging.
I had a bit of this too. In the beginning I was scared to move around. By the middle I was running past everyone without much concern if I didn't want to fight. Of the dagger, bow, and sword quests I only completed the dagger. The other two I reached 8 out of 10. I was disappointed that the only reward was more writing on the dagger. They should have tied it into a special ability. Or replaced the big purchased ability for the dagger, bow, and sword and instead only get them if you complete the 10 quests for that weapon. The ending was way too easy. Press the spacebar twice and hold E to kill the Hand? I wanted a boss fight.
GreenGoo wrote:Killing orcs is pretty damn satisfying.
I never tired of swooping down on them for the stealth or brutalize kill. :ninja:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Moliere wrote:I was disappointed that the only reward was more writing on the dagger.
Didn't those quests unlock the rune slots on the weapons? It has been too long to remember for certain.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

coopasonic wrote:
Moliere wrote:I was disappointed that the only reward was more writing on the dagger.
Didn't those quests unlock the rune slots on the weapons? It has been too long to remember for certain.
No. The runes were unlocked by earning a special kind of xp doing side quests like freeing slaves and doing the weapon quests. They were not directly related as you could have unlocked the runes without doing the weapon quests.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I means the slots in the weapons, not the runes themselves, if that wasn't clear.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

OK, I'm wrong, apparently it is just the appearance.

Oh well, I completed them all anyway.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

coopasonic wrote:I means the slots in the weapons, not the runes themselves, if that wasn't clear.
The slots were purchased through that special xp. Not related directly to the weapon missions.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Same answer.

Internet searching tells me that the weapon models changed, and there were "money" rewards, but there was nothing critical about performing the weapon challenges.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That's weird, I could of sworn getting to 10/10 on the weapon challenges did something.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo wrote:That's weird, I could of sworn getting to 10/10 on the weapon challenges did something.
Pretty writing and a sense of accomplishment?

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Shrug. It has been awhile.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Whew, this game is LOADS of fun and really makes you feel like a badass mowing down bad guys left and right. I can't quite chain the executions just yet, as I can't perform a stealth finisher on demand, and I tend to try to go for execution at the wrong time, and when I knock an Uruk dizzy I didn't quite get the ground kill move right, but I can now survive 4 -5 Uruks ganging up as I have the knockback and I've killed level 5 captains. I'm not quite sure I want to go after those elite level 8's yet though. As there's infinite Uruks around that doesn't seem to be a problem. it's almost like playing Farcry 3 / 4 when you just take down outpost and the random patrols and try not to bite off more than you can chew. :)

I'm 6 percent complete, killing level 4-5 captains, while trying not to get killed. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Have fun! It's a blast.

That I barely remember, apparently.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Isgrimnur wrote:Same answer.

Internet searching tells me that the weapon models changed, and there were "money" rewards, but there was nothing critical about performing the weapon challenges.
I think doing the weapon challenges gets you the "Weapon money" (Mirian?) for weapon upgrades (more rune slots, special weapon powers like fire, bonus damage to captains, etc.) in addition to just walking around and grabbing artifacts.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Just wait until the endgame when you are fighting level 20 elite orcs that are immune to just about everything. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

10% mark roughly, just met the coward, need to do more power struggles and missions to earn those abilities, as I'm still stuck on abilities level 1. Died about 4 times, once against elite captain and failed the save, then another failed a save against a caragor. Good thing those beasts don't climb, but they sure do pack a punch.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kasey Chang wrote: failed a save against a caragor. Good thing those beasts don't climb,
:ninja:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, can't climb... "much".
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got another artifact with help of Gollum... need to do more missions, and got stealth drain and 2 more elf-shots so I can shoot 8 arrows before needing a refill, and refill now is easier. Also, got Karagor taming. Still, can't seem to time the "dodge" correctly with those "Defenders" and the axe/spear throwers. Got killed once or twice.

Did the 3 arrow and 3 dagger challenges. Need to do the sword one.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Those darn defenders and shooters are hurting too much, can't seem to jump dodge in time (or my frame rate's too low). Decided to engage a trainer, as I'm not the kind of guy who prefers to kill myself over and over. The Ghul matron killed me a few times too. Argh!

Any way, I now have combat drain and I need to play a few more main missions to unlock tier 3/4 abilities. I think my best kill so far is P11, or was it P14 (11+ a few bonuses)

Ran into one of those captains that's invulnerable to combat finishers. Had to jump up, then ambush him with a death from above to kill him. Annoying as heck.