Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Post by Jag »

Developer - Monolith Productions (PC/PS4/XBO) ; Behaviour Interactive (PS3/360)
Publisher - Warner Bros.
Platforms - PC, Playstation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
Rating - ESRB: M; PEGI: 18
Genre - Action, Role Playing
Director - Bob Roberts (Guardians of Middle Earth) and Michael de Plater (Tom Clancy's Endwar)
Composer - Garry Schyman (Bioshock Series)
Writer - Christian Cantamessa (Red Dead Redemption)

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor is an Action Role Playing game developed by Monolith Productions. It stars a Ranger of Gordor named Talion. Talion and his familiy are slain upon Sauron's return to Mordor, but Talion finds himself assisted by a Wraith named Celebrimbor. Celebrimbor is the original forger of the Rings of Power, and it is through his curse that Talion finds himself revived from death. This occurrence affords Talion the opportunity to seek revenge for his loved ones and end the curse that's leaving him unable to truly die. Shadow of Mordor utilizes the Nemesis System, an innovative mechanic where enemy units will remember their encounters to you and will become specialized and truly unique adversaries for each and every player. Combined with the Wraith ability to dominate and control enemy units, this sets the stage for personalized gameplay situations on every playthrough.

ImageImageImage

Talion | Troy Baker: "What is this place? Am I dead? How is this possible? What has happened to me? I had a family once, a wife, and a son, and I've buried them along with anyone I've ever knew."

A descendant of the Northmen in Rhovanion and raised in Minas Tirith, Talion is a loyal Ranger of Gondor, and has spent his entire adult life stationed at the Black Gate alongside his wife Ioreth and son Dirhael. Unbeknownst to Gondor and Talion, a dark force had begun to gain power and strength at an alarming rate in Mordor. Everything changes when the Black Gate is attacked by Sauron's captains, led by Black Hand. At the moment of his death, Talion is possessed by an immensely powerful Wraith, saving his life, but also putting upon him a great burden. Talion learns that he was resurrected and joined with a being known as Celebrimbor, and is presented with a unique opportunity for revenge on those who have wronged him.

Celebrimbor | Alastair Duncan: "I remember my name now. I shaped the history of Middle-Earth. I crafted the Rings of Power. My power gives us a gateway to defeating the Dark Lord."

Celebrimbor was a Ñoldorin prince, last of the House of Fëanor left in Middle-earth, ruler of the Second Age realm of Eregion, and the forger of the Rings of Power. In SA 1500, Sauron befriended him under a fair form disguise named Annatar. Through this ruse, Sauron claimed to be sent down by the Valar as an emissary, and he then took control of the elven smiths instructing them to craft the Rings of Power and the One Ring. Celebrimbor was the one to forge the most powerful of the rings, only weaker to Sauron's own. Sauron attacked Eregion, destroying the land and capturing Celebrimbor, putting him under extreme torment until he disclosed the whereabouts of the lesser rings. But Celebrimbor refused to disclose the locations of the Elvish rings and subsequently perished. This caused Celebrimbor to become a Wraith, and hundreds of years later during the period of the Third Age, he possessed the Ranger Talion, setting the events of their revenge into motion.

Ioreth | Laura Bailey: "We will be together, my love. Soon. Forever."

Ioreth was Talion's wife and the mother of their son, Dirhael. She was an intelligent, practical woman accustomed to living among the Black Gate’s austere conditions. Her focus was the welfare of her family and the rest of the garrison, all of whom she knew as friends. Her son becoming a Ranger was bittersweet to her. While proud to have raised a Ranger of Gondor, she mourned the “days of peace” she and her husband once planned to spend far from the gate once his days of duty were done. At the start of the game, she and Dirhael are killed in front of Talion, setting him off on his quest for vengeance.

ImageImageImage

Gollum | Liam O'Brien: "We swears to serve The Bright Master. He will remember, precious. We will make him."

Constant exposure to the Ring has twisted Sméagol, ruining his body and warping his mind. He developed two separate personalities, one representing what's left of Sméagol and the other representing the influence of the Ring. The townsfolk of his former life nicknamed him "Gollum" for and eventually banished him. Over the many years, Gollum eventually made his way to the edge of Mordor, where he met the monstrous spider Shelob and became her spy. During the events of the game, Talion and Celebrimbor seek him out in order to shed light on the history of the mysterious Wraith. When they locate him, Gollum swears to serve Celebrimbor, though Talion does not trust the creature. Gollum seems to have a personal motive to aiding the Wraith regain his memories.

Sauron | ??? : "Only you could accomplish such art, Celebrimbor."

Sauron, also known as the Dark Lord of Mordor, is a main antagonist in the game. He was Morgoth's most powerful lieutenant and the mastermind behind many of his schemes, and the forger of the One Ring. His return to Mordor takes the Gondorians stationed at the Black Gate by surprise, and he and his Black Captains work at ridding Mordor of all Men while building their strength in the Third Age. While Sauron lives, he is feared throughout all of Middle-earth, even to the farthest reaches of the world. His history with Celebrimbor and the mutual desire for revenge from Celebrimbor and Talion is the main driving force for the journey that the pair undertake together.

Black Hand | Nolan North: "Where was your bravery when we bled your wife, and gutted your son?"

The Black Hand is a mysterious figure, and not much is currently known about him. He is the leader of the Black Captians, comprised of himself, The Tower, and The Hammer. At the onset of Shadow of Mordor, he personally kills Talion's wife and his son, but fails to kill Talion due to the unforeseen influence of Celebrimbor. The Black Hand represents Sauron's deceit.

ImageImageImage

ImageImage

Runes are items in Shadow of Mordor that add powerful buffs to Celebrimbor's bow, sword, and dagger (Azkâr / Urfael /Acharn). Runes are generally obtained by vanquishing enemies . Exploiting the weaknesses of an enemy will influence the type of runes they drop, and combining different runes will increase the power of Talion's weapons in different ways. For instance, if the player kills an enemy captain using a stealth takedown, the player may receive a stealth related rune. Several runes can be applied to each weapon, suited to the player's playstyle.

Epic Runes are specific, extremely powerful runes that can only be obtained from Uruk Warchiefs or Captains who have been threatened. To obtain these epic runes, Talion must first dominate a bodyguard, who must then be forced to deliver a Death Threat to their Captain or Chief. The alerted Nemesis will surround himself with bodyguard and will meet Talion in battle. Once the captain and his bodyguards are defeated, the captain will drop the epic rune upon death. You can also get runes from pre-ordering and stuff, yay.

Both combat and traversal take advantage of the Talion/Celebrimbor duality. Sword and dagger combat and general climbing/jumping are done as a human, but with the aid of the Wraith, you can fire a bow, distract enemies with spells, teleport instantly to an enemies forces, or dominated their minds. The combat appears to borrow a an Arkham-style system, where timing button presses in response to enemy movements is key to dispatching multiple foes at once. Teleporting is a great way to take down, say, an archer atop a building, where you can then plan your assassination from a vantage point. Traversal seems similar to Assassin Creed style lite-parkour, with teleportation abilities and some light mount usage being available to players to quickly move around the map or battlefield.

ImageImage

The Nemesis system creates randomly named enemies that are generated uniquely with each playthrough of the game. Each nemesis has their own personality and will rise or fall within their social structure as the game progresses. They are affected by Talion's actions and using the Nemesis system is vital to obtaining powerful runes and disrupting Sauron's army.

Characteristics
  • Names - Each Nemesis has their own unique name.
  • Visuals - They are generated randomly by multiple body types and parts, hairstyles, behaviors, voices, animations, ect.
  • Power- While each Nemesis will have specific strengths and weaknesses, the general strength of an enemy will be summed by a simple "Power" rating.
  • Rank - The longer the Nemesis stays in the Nemesis system, the more events he succeeds. This is indicated by the prefix of his rank.
  • Relationships - Many Uruk may have unique relations to the other Nemeses. Such as Captains serving as bodyguards for the Warchiefs. There will also be rivalries between the two leaders or tribes which Talion might have to exploit using his newfound domination abilities.
  • Fighting Styles - Enemies will have a fighting style based on their unique abilities or buffs. Nemesis tend to surround themselves with uruks of the same type as themselves, or example a berserker captain will have a small group of berserkers with him.
  • Traits - This is the specific list of strengths and weaknesses for a Nemesis, and will determine which rune you may get upon his defeat.
  • Location - Location of a nemesis and his tribe is important. For instance, a dominated enemy may join Talion's side if he is fighting in the same area.
Mission Types
  • Promotion - Grunts may become Captains or Warchiefs if they remain in the system for a significant duration.
  • Duel/Power Struggle/Ambush- If two rival nemesis are encouraged to face off in various ways, the victor of the battle will gain Power. Talion can influence the outcome by dominating a force or joining the battle himself.
  • Betrayal - A Warchief's bodyguard Captain may betray his Warchief and attempt to outright kill him. Talion can interfere and aid or kill the Warchief, where the betrayer will gain a Power and become a Warchief himself. Or a surviving Warchief will become stronger and gains Power. Talion can use his domination ability to place a controlled Captain into the role of Warchief in this way.
  • Recruit - An enemy attempts to gain new followers, if successful they gain a new power level.
  • Execution - A particular Uruk might decide to execute another and his followers. Talion can either support the executioner or the targets, the survivor gaining power due to surviving the ordeal.
  • Survived - If a Nemesis survives an encounter with Talion, they can gain a power level.
  • Killed Talion - If the player is dealt a killing blow by a particular enemy, this will increases the enemy's power level, and may also be promoted.
  • Feast - The Uruk are in the midst of celebration which Talion may choose to disrupt or ignore. If the feast is uninterrupted, the partaking enemies will gain a power level.
  • Beast Hunt - Uruks will routinely hunt beasts as a form of sport or competition. Talion can either killing the beasts to let the enemies gains the power level, or kill the Uruk.
ImageImage

Uruk Hierarchy
  • Warchief -The highest rank of enemy in the Nemesis System, and each has 2-4 Captains that make up their bodyguard. Chiefs must be drawn out by completing a mission that will attract hisattention. The can be slain in various ways to reward the player with Epic Runes, or may be dominated, after which all Uruk under his command become ready to fight for Talion and other enemies that are not under his control.
  • Captains - Captains are more powerful than the regular Uruk and have access to traits that gives specific weaknesses to exploit along with individual strengths. These Uruk are often in the service of a warchief which they will join with him when he appears. Captains can also reward Epic Runes if defeated under particular circumstances, or they may be exploited to draw out Warchiefs.
  • Grunt - The most common foe that Talion meets can also be a part of the Nemesis System. A promoted Grunt can become a captain which may be useful for Talion if his is trying to draw out a Warchief or acquire runes.
Interacting with the Nemesis System
  • Dying - Talion's death to enemy Grunts will promote them up the Nemesis system and increase their power.
  • Gathering intel - Enemies that Talion has not yet encountered will be shown as silhouettes and no information will be known about them. Talion must Dominate other nemeses or explore the various areas to gather info on these unknown Nemeses and learn their specific traits.
  • Interference - It is up to the player to decide how he wants to prevent or allow the various Nemeses to succeed or fail their various missions listed above. Ignored Nemesis will generally increase in Power while disrupted events will usually prevent any enemies from promoting.
  • Initiation - Talion can get a Captain to become a bodyguard of a Warchief by making the Captain do an initiation rite to prove his worthiness. Talion can interfere with the Initiation to ensure the Captain is dominated before acquiring this position, which is useful for drawing out the Chiefs.
  • Death Threat - A dominated enemy can be forced to give another specific Captain or Warchief a Death Threat. This is one way to draw out the Chief and allow him to be defeated by Talion in order to acquire runes.
  • Mission Creation - After Dominating an eenmy, Talion can order him to initiate the various Mission types and then focus on increasing his dominated Nemesis' Power.
FAQ
Q: Is this game 1080p/60FPS on my console?
A: It had been reported to run at 1080p on PS4. The developers have also stated a desire to hit 60fps. Less information is known about the Xbox One version. I will update this when DF or others have more information.

Q: Is this canon?
A: Not really. This game takes place between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Talion himself was "inspired by a number of characters within Middle-earth, such as Boromir’s desire to use the One Ring and also by Sam, a normal man caught up in extraordinary events". Celebrimbor was not known to have survived his torture and torment at the hands of Sauron, though he manages to continue to exist in the form of a Wraith in Shadow of Mordor. Otherwise the backstory of Sauron and Celebrimbor is completely canon.

Q: Do I need to know anything about LotR lore to fully enjoy this?
A: Expectedly, there are a lot of callbacks to specific lore for fans, but the developers have stated that they wanted "to ensure that the story makes sense on it's own for players who have never read the books or seen the movies."

Q: How long would be a typical playthrough?
A: The developers have stated that they expect a playthrough to be roughly 30 hours.

(copied from Neogaf)
GreenGoo

Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Post by GreenGoo »

I'll be picking it up barring some seriously bad impressions, but not until it's on sale. It looks great, but not 50 bucks great. Not for me anyway.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Green man gaming had a 25% off coupon (don't know if they still have it) so I got mine for $37.50. The intro was pretty special.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Fortunately for me I don't meet the minimum specs.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I've got it downloading now. I'm looking forward to trying it once I get home from work!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

gbasden wrote:I've got it downloading now. I'm looking forward to trying it once I get home from work!
Let us know how it goes!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

GreenGoo wrote:I'll be picking it up barring some seriously bad impressions, but not until it's on sale. It looks great, but not 50 bucks great. Not for me anyway.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. It looks great, has great reviews so far, and I've been following it a long time but I'll wait for a sale.
tgb wrote:Fortunately for me I don't meet the minimum specs.
It's got the same style of combat as Hand of Fate so I don't think you'd like it anyway.
Lorini wrote:Green man gaming had a 25% off coupon (don't know if they still have it)
I think that offer has expired.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I hadn't really been following this one at all until I heard it called Assassin's Creed meets Lord of the Rings. If I didn't have a ridiculous number of games on my plate currently I would probably have pre-ordered, but I have plenty to keep me busy until this is on sale somewhere (or at least I keep telling myself that :P).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

ColdSteel wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Lorini wrote:Green man gaming had a 25% off coupon (don't know if they still have it)
I think that offer has expired.
Nope, it is still good. I just used it "SEPTEM-BEROFF-ER25XX" ends today.
Sepiche wrote:I hadn't really been following this one at all until I heard it called Assassin's Creed meets Lord of the Rings.
That did it for me too.
Sepiche wrote: I have plenty to keep me busy until this is on sale somewhere (or at least I keep telling myself that :P).
Did I mention 25% off?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

The greenmangaming offer is still there. The code they have on the home page can be used for Mordor.
Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I'm tempted to pick this up for PS4, but I still have Destiny and Diablo 3 to play and October and November are big game release months (notably AssCred Unity, Dragon Age Inquisition, and Beyond Earth). I'm afraid it would get lost in the shuffle.

But the reviews look very good and I like the idea of "living" Uruk hierarchy and individualized Uruk officers.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

So far the reviews have been pretty positive. It's got a metacritic score of 86, with reviews from IGN, GamingTrend and PC Gamer all in the high 80s. The Escapist and Forbes (?/O.o) both also had good reviews.

Not so patiently waiting for quitting time...
naednek

Post by naednek »

gbasden wrote:So far the reviews have been pretty positive. It's got a metacritic score of 86, with reviews from IGN, GamingTrend and PC Gamer all in the high 80s. The Escapist and Forbes (?/O.o) both also had good reviews.

You think you have it bad...

I bought Destiny at Dell and they gave me a $25 gift card for a future purchase.
I have Madden 15 which I plan on selling and will probably get $40 for it. So essentially I'll get Shadow of Mordor for free. The catch, Dell says it's available on the 8th.... WTF. I have to wait an extra week+
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jag

Post by Jag »

Lorini wrote:The intro was pretty special.
:shock: That intro...
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

On my list for Black friday sales.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Holy crap. This game. I fought a group of all named mobs. They killed me....then leveled up. This is the LOTR game that has been waiting to be made. A serious tribute to the genre. A nerdgasm for fans.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Well, that clinches it. I'll go spend my trade-in credit on this and Super Smash Brothers 3DS tomorrow... Thanks OO effect.
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote:
gbasden wrote:So far the reviews have been pretty positive. It's got a metacritic score of 86, with reviews from IGN, GamingTrend and PC Gamer all in the high 80s. The Escapist and Forbes (?/O.o) both also had good reviews.

You think you have it bad...

I bought Destiny at Dell and they gave me a $25 gift card for a future purchase.
I have Madden 15 which I plan on selling and will probably get $40 for it. So essentially I'll get Shadow of Mordor for free. The catch, Dell says it's available on the 8th.... WTF. I have to wait an extra week+
Well just got a shipping notice. Guess they had the wrong date in their system. Tomorrow it's mine
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm almost certainly going to pick this up once the 360 version comes out.
Black Lives Matter.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jag wrote:Holy crap. This game. I fought a group of all named mobs. They killed me....then leveled up. This is the LOTR game that has been waiting to be made. A serious tribute to the genre. A nerdgasm for fans.
I totally agree. Then later meeting the captain who killed me and he taunts me about it through the fight. The lore that is scattered through is seriously awesome as well. I played for about 4 hours and it's all I can do to go to bed. I'm going to be thinking about this all day tomorrow.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

El Guapo wrote:I'm almost certainly going to pick this up once the 360 version comes out.
Careful with that. I read that the last-gen versions have a gimped nemesis system. PC may be your better option.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I'm only a tiny bit into the game, but my biggest gripe so far is that there is no safe place to catch your breath. I went up and cleared a little cave area and then the stupid dogs continue to randomly come by and beat the crap out of me and everything else. Or a patrol of orcs come by. And it's not like it's a rare occurrence -- it's like I JUST finish clearing the area and BAM.... things are coming again. So I run from them because I'm still recovering and stumble into an orc encampment and now I have 30 orcs and two Captains running after me.

I know I'm in Mordor, but a man needs to be able to catch a breath here and there. I mean, even years later when Mordor had exponentially worsened Sam and Frodo were able to catch their breaths and sleep or drink dirty water here and there.

Am I missing something?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

msduncan wrote:I'm only a tiny bit into the game, but my biggest gripe so far is that there is no safe place to catch your breath. I went up and cleared a little cave area and then the stupid dogs continue to randomly come by and beat the crap out of me and everything else. Or a patrol of orcs come by. And it's not like it's a rare occurrence -- it's like I JUST finish clearing the area and BAM.... things are coming again. So I run from them because I'm still recovering and stumble into an orc encampment and now I have 30 orcs and two Captains running after me.

I know I'm in Mordor, but a man needs to be able to catch a breath here and there. I mean, even years later when Mordor had exponentially worsened Sam and Frodo were able to catch their breaths and sleep or drink dirty water here and there.

Am I missing something?
I guess Sam and Frodo have you to thank for clearing out so many orcs so they can take their dirty water and lembas breaks.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I bought the PS4 version and played a lengthy session last night. The game is incredibly good.

With the Nemesis system you really do feel like you're getting to know these Uruks and targeting/gaining intel on them is really fun.

On paper, if you told me a LOTR game where you walk through similar looking environments killing the same enemy type over and over would be extremely boring. In practice, the sheer amount of choices you have open to you - be it which missions to go after, which captains to target, which collectibles to find, which upgrades to purchase - mean you're never at a loss for something interesting to work towards.

The game also keeps you engaged in the storyline even when you're not doing story missions. For instance, you may find a collectible that then triggers a conversation between you and your wraith. Or even dying may trigger some exposition. There was never a moment when I felt like I was just running around like an errand boy - because even if I was just trying to grab a collectible I'd wind up hiding from an orc scouting party, running into a captain, or get sidetracked killing spiders or something for a hunting quest.

It really does take the best of Arkham and Assassin's Creed and plops them into Middle Earth with some extra stuff on top. If you enjoy open world games and Batman-style combat, it is a total blast.
Jag

Post by Jag »

What I find interesting is since you are sort of mostly dead, dying really has no consequences. You just restart nearby. It does however level up the guys that killed you. Which makes them harder to kill, but also gives you more xp. I haven't seen this type of death mechanic before.

As gbasden said, if you stay in the area, you will find the guys that kill you. Although they may have a new power now that they leveled up and rise in Sauron's army. It is really hard to stay on any quest when all you want to do is put an arrow in the last guy that killed you!*

(*although when I interrogated a nearby Uruk I found out that the guy that killed me was now immune to arrows!!)
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

You guys don't find yourself wildly fleeing or bouncing from one encounter to another?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Does the camera seem a little wonky to anyone else on a console or using a console controller? I haven't played very long yet, but it seems like it bounces between being twitchy overly sensitive and being the right amount of sensitive.

In my opening hour of play I'm a little overwhelmed by all the pop up tutorials and possible activities to do. "Collect whozits to level up your rigamarole! Oh, but to level up your hoozawhat, you want to collect whatsits. You collect whozits from fighting enemies with an onion on their belt, but if you tickle them first they might drop a thingiedoo so you can upgrade your fannypack."

I guess it's nice having everything open right away instead of game features being overly gated like in other open world games, but it'd be nice to have maybe just a wee bit of time in between introducing new game mechanics.

Despite the above, I'm really loving what I see so far. Batman combat is a perfect fit for the AssCred genre, and the named mobs and Nemesis System in this game are just brilliant additions. It already feels more like the bad guys are real living entities with their own missions and objectives instead of just being MMO-ish dumb targets that just walk in circles waiting to be ganked.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Since I don't have the latest console I'll probably grab this for PC when there's a sale. Are people playing this using the mouse/keyboard or console controllers?

Thanks!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

godhugh wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I'm almost certainly going to pick this up once the 360 version comes out.
Careful with that. I read that the last-gen versions have a gimped nemesis system. PC may be your better option.
Thanks for the info. Do they make demos anymore? One of the things I like about consoles is not having to worry about performance issues.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

$iljanus wrote:Since I don't have the latest console I'll probably grab this for PC when there's a sale. Are people playing this using the mouse/keyboard or console controllers?

Thanks!
It seems built for a controller. I suppose if you've played Arkham/Assassin's Creed with a mouse keyboard you could do it here too, but can't imagine why you would. 8-)

Also, you can still get it from $37.50 from greenmangaming with the code I mentioned previously, but that offer runs out in a few hours.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

msduncan wrote:You guys don't find yourself wildly fleeing or bouncing from one encounter to another?
No, not really. I either break line of sight and run into a clump of bushes or climb a building. I've had a few harrowing chases, but they were pretty fun. :) When I've really wanted to break combat, it's been doable.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jag wrote:Holy crap. This game. I fought a group of all named mobs. They killed me....then leveled up. This is the LOTR game that has been waiting to be made. A serious tribute to the genre. A nerdgasm for fans.
Fuck you.

I'm not paying 50 bucks for this game...

I hope.
Jag

Post by Jag »

gbasden wrote:
msduncan wrote:You guys don't find yourself wildly fleeing or bouncing from one encounter to another?
No, not really. I either break line of sight and run into a clump of bushes or climb a building. I've had a few harrowing chases, but they were pretty fun. :) When I've really wanted to break combat, it's been doable.
Pretty much the same experience. I did die twice from pulling large packs, but then I decided running was perfectly acceptable. I haven't even started on the story or quests. I'm just having fun playing with the game. I wish the combat wasn't so much like Batman because at some level it feels like the Batman game on steroids. If you have played those, then you should have a good idea what combat is like.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote:I bought the PS4 version and played a lengthy session last night. The game is incredibly good.
eff you too.

I'll give it a week to see if initial impressions cool off. That happens sometimes.

:ugeek:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

$iljanus wrote:Since I don't have the latest console I'll probably grab this for PC when there's a sale. Are people playing this using the mouse/keyboard or console controllers?

Thanks!
Good question. I used to think this was heresy, but with the number of good games being released on consoles and pc's, my controller has been getting a workout and I've been surprisingly not bitter about it.

If I can hold on 'til the weekend, I can buy the game while still pretending I have willpower.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jag wrote: I wish the combat wasn't so much like Batman because at some level it feels like the Batman game on steroids. If you have played those, then you should have a good idea what combat is like.
I have not played any of the batman games (although I do own the first two now) or any of the assassin's creed games. No pre-conceived notions for me!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

GreenGoo wrote:
I'm not paying 50 bucks for this game...
so pay $37.50 for it...
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/p ... ow-mordor/

code expires some time 10/3:
SEPTEM-BEROFF-ER25XX
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Timing couldn't be better/worse. I'm playing a few things, but went to bed early last night, a sure sign I'm ready for something new.

I hoped this game would be good, but expected it to suck, and the nemesis system to be a gimmick that turned out to be crappy. That kept my excitement and expectations low. You guys are not helping.
Toe

Post by Toe »

Anyone know the estimated amount of content (in terms of hours to complete the game)?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jag wrote:Q: How long would be a typical playthrough?
A: The developers have stated that they expect a playthrough to be roughly 30 hours.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter