[KS] The Flame in the Flood - river rafting survival sim

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

[KS] The Flame in the Flood - river rafting survival sim

Post by jztemple2 »

I saw this thread over on the Gaming Trend forum and thought that folks here at OO might find it interesting.
Posted by Caine;

Saw this on Kotaku this morning. I really like the art direction they are going and how they are using real world survival techniques to model the in game systems. Game is semi-rogue like in that items you give to your dog can be passed on to the next attempt. The river and landmasses are generated while you play.

They are looking pretty solid to fund it, with $63k out of $150k
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mo ... -the-flood
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
tgb

Re: [KS] The Flame in the Flood - river rafting survival sim

Post by tgb »

If one of the stretch goals is a digital Ned Beatty squealing like a pig, count me in.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

This game released this week. I've only run through it once so far, about an hour total, but first impressions are that it's a lot like Don't Starve, but has enough differences to make it feel like a different game. The most obvious of which is a checkpoint system when you play on the normal campaign (there are also survivalist campaign and endless modes which are permadeath.) But also the lack of a map - you are always moving downriver from location to location, rather than having a completely open world. Since it's hard to go upstream (there are raft upgrades, I don't know yet how much they affec that), you often have to make choices about which locations you visit because you won't be able to go back. There is also an objective system which may be mostly a tutorial, or it might offer rewards later, haven't played enough to say for sure yet. Like Don't Starve, it feels like a lot of the fun is going to be learning how to survive. I fear that while it will be replayable for a while, it might start to feel like Don't Starve did where I can't stomach the thought of starting a new game any more because I know it's several hours of stuff I already know all about before I get to the interesting parts. Still, I loved Don't Starve to death before I got to that point with it, and I can see putting a large number of hours into this as well (at least if I had large numbers of free hours these days, which I don't, really).

It's also a really good looking game and the soundtrack fits the theme really well.
Twitter: joerumz
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Any updated impressions on this one?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I dunno, I think they could have improved the graphics.

Black Lives Matter.
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

msduncan wrote:Any updated impressions on this one?
Argh, no, I've been playing Factorio in my minimal gaming time. And my lunch breaks are still Rocket League time.

I do still really want to put more time into this.
Twitter: joerumz
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

On Steam

Video

PAX East demo and info ..If it doesn't start at the correct spot then its at 1:45
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I still have this game on my wishlist, but reviews like this one (even though it's a thumbs up) have made me hesitate. It sounds just a bit too frantic for my preference.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I totally agree with TIny Ogre's take. It's like Don't Starve but the atmosphere is absolutely amazing. The lighting and storm effects lead to a really good relax vs tense environment.

I haven't put a ton of hours into it, but I look for more and within 20 minutes of playing I thought my $5 was absolutely worth it.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog