Dragon Age: Origins Free for PC

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Dragon Age: Origins Free for PC

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, all I really remember is that in these sorts of games I always just grab as much shit as I can carry when going through dungeons and whatnot, and then sell all that shit (that I'm not using) when in town, and that usually I wind up with enough cash at some point.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I looked it up after posting here. But even with enough cash theres not enough health potions or things to make health potions to buy. So not sure how I beat it the first two times. Guess Ill press on.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't recall using them all that often. I used an actual healer. Wynne, I believe. After I installed her in the party, I rarely ever need a potion.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

She doesn't heal fast enough plus she dies easy. But I cant afford better armor and weapons :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Then I'd probably ask if you're playing it as an action game (which it isn't) or as a semi-tactical strategy game. Success is all about setting the AI (google 'dragon age wynne healer tactics') so that she's spending her mana healing and not wasting it on zapping. Success is then about pausing and micromanaging. If your healer is getting hit - at all - you send the tank over to pull the attacker off of her.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:00 pm Then I'd probably ask if you're playing it as an action game (which it isn't) or as a semi-tactical strategy game. Success is all about setting the AI (google 'dragon age wynne healer tactics') so that she's spending her mana healing and not wasting it on zapping. Success is then about pausing and micromanaging. If your healer is getting hit - at all - you send the tank over to pull the attacker off of her.
Yeah, you really need to manage your whole party in combat. You *might* be able to get away with AI control at the lowest difficulty - not sure.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

As I recall, I had the "ultimate edition". The ultimate edition came with a weapon that was called like "the destroyer of all life it touches" or some other pretentious bullshit like that. It was complete crap, but... it sold for like 600 gold. So, I go to the first merchant I see in Lothering (?), get him to cough up the 600 Gs, and sail free for the rest of the game.

But yeah, it's like any other RPG. To quote Penny Arcade, "Crisp Basilisk urethra? Pick that shit up. Put it in your bag." Unload your crap at the stores. You're never going to go back to the earlier, crappier weapons or armor, so sell it all off unless you're wearing it. If you're using up a bunch of expensive consumables every fight, you're doing it wrong. Micromanage, maybe switch up party members. You need a tank (Alistair, Sten or yourself), a "DPS" (Zevran, Leliana, Morrigan), a "healer" (Wynne, pretty much), and the fourth slot is whoever you want. Shale is pretty fun. Plus, it's hilarious to parade it in front of the dwarves. What? You've lost the secret to making golems? Ha Ha.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:24 pm As I recall, I had the "ultimate edition". The ultimate edition came with a weapon that was called like "the destroyer of all life it touches" or some other pretentious bullshit like that. It was complete crap, but... it sold for like 600 gold. So, I go to the first merchant I see in Lothering (?), get him to cough up the 600 Gs, and sail free for the rest of the game.

But yeah, it's like any other RPG. To quote Penny Arcade, "Crisp Basilisk urethra? Pick that shit up. Put it in your bag." Unload your crap at the stores. You're never going to go back to the earlier, crappier weapons or armor, so sell it all off unless you're wearing it. If you're using up a bunch of expensive consumables every fight, you're doing it wrong. Micromanage, maybe switch up party members. You need a tank (Alistair, Sten or yourself), a "DPS" (Zevran, Leliana, Morrigan), a "healer" (Wynne, pretty much), and the fourth slot is whoever you want. Shale is pretty fun. Plus, it's hilarious to parade it in front of the dwarves. What? You've lost the secret to making golems? Ha Ha.
Using Sten is mandatory - Sten is so awesome. One of my main memories from DA:O is a fight towards the end against two huge Ogres. Me and two other party members are whaling on one for awhile, and finally manage to take it down. Then I'm like "ok, time for the other Ogre. Oh yeah, and where's Sten?" Turns out while I wasn't paying full attention Sten was fighting the other Ogre one-on-one, and finished him off right when everyone else in the party was finishing off the first Ogre.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, you can get by with the AI on the higher difficulties for normal fights, but you have to put a lot of thought into it. This is especially true of Wynn. Every slot must be chosen with intent, and don't use anything that requires mana for anything but healing.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Slot. You mean tactics slot right? The hotbar is simply for when I manually take control of her right? I watch her and she seems to only attack with her staff spell and heal..I never see her use earthquake or whatever her attack spells are. She never uses the resurrect one though and I have to do that myself and also use mana potions. When she runs out of mana ....and thats quick...she stops doing anything but staff shooting. I wish she'd simply drink potions. Got TONS of them.

I still need to find the perfect party. I think the only member I dont have if the dwarf Ogrehm. I think.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:54 pm Slot. You mean tactics slot right? [...] When she runs out of mana ....and thats quick...she stops doing anything but staff shooting. I wish she'd simply drink potions. Got TONS of them.
Yeah, he does mean tactics slot. Also, IIRC (given how long it's been), one of the things you can put in the tactics is "When Mana Below X%, drink potion". Which certainly will keep her healing, although she will chew through those potions. The NPCs don't do that by default because other people prefer to hoard their potions by only letting them be used when you specifically say so.

- Ash
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's always amusing how in RPGs the characters are constantly chugging potions (and in the case of the Witcher, eating meals) in the middle of battle. The entire party must run off the battlefield to pee immediately after every combat.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

"I seem to have been stabbed repeatedly in the chest. Let me just have a quick power bar and I'll be good to go."
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:54 pm I watch her and she seems to only attack with her staff spell and heal..I never see her use earthquake or whatever her attack spells are.
Which is exactly what you want. Attacking isn't her job. It's what she does when nothing that is her job is pressing, and you want her to have as much of her mana as possible for that job when it is needed.

Seriously, though, google her tactics. If nothing else, you'll find a simple list you can copy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im using such heavy armor I have no stam left lol yet i can still use some of my attacks at times.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I never heard of DA Awakening before my friend told me about it tonight. On Origin it seems you can only get or play it if you sign up for their service of monthly sub'n. Is there a way to get or play it another way? Looks fun.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:57 am I never heard of DA Awakening before my friend told me about it tonight. On Origin it seems you can only get or play it if you sign up for their service of monthly sub'n. Is there a way to get or play it another way? Looks fun.
You can buy it right there on Origin. It's EA. They push the way they want you to play and make it hard to find the alternative.

Open Origin
Search for 'Awakening'
Click 'Get the Game'
Ignore the two Giant Boxes of Amazing Deal!!!
Click on 'Buy Now' underneath
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also, there is this.

From what I've read you can transfer saves from Origin to GoG, but I've never tried myself, so no guarantees.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wow..the Awakening dlc alone is $20 on Origin and the entire game with it is $5 on GoG :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think Wynne is losing her mind. The entire game Ive been bed hopping with Morrigan. The only two places left to do are Denerim and the elf forest. I get to the forest and Wynne starts talking like Im with Liliana and telling me not to hurt her and such .Damn lady.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im trying to finish this I really am. Where Im at I should have finished it over a week ago. Being honest 2 weeks ago. But Im wavering right here at the end of the game desperately trying to find something else to play. Anything to play. I cant find anything. This game is helping me not finish by randomly crashing or killing my with stuff I should have no trouble at all with. But I keep trying.

Im in the last town..Denerim. Im finishing up dangling quests. Not all my companions gave me quests of their own to do. I have no others to do for some reason but Ive doen Morrigan, Liliana, Ogrehm, Wynne, Shale. As far as I know I never got one from Sten, Allistair, dog, or the elf assassin. Or whoever else Im missing. Ive gotten everyones love up high and talked and talked to them.

All I need to do is get these stupid damn ashes back to redcliff then kill Logain...who Im damn well gonna kill...then put myself on the throne and kill the arch demon.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wasn't sure what to do with Zevron after we killed the guy sent to kill him. He says he wants to go see what freedom is like and my only options were persuade him to stay, ask him to stay, remind him of his oath, or tell him to leave. I let him go because it seemed to be what he wanted and I dont use him as a party member anyways. Just seemed kinda strange the options. I could either make him stay of tell him to get the f out lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Now Im disguised and in Howes estate. Im wondering though if I should skip the disguises and just kill them all. I would not have any trouble doing thta and it would ad to my exp and such. But then again would be more time. Decisions :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ireally enjoy killing the stupid people in this game that support the traitor. Satisfaction from their deaths is nice. I hate stupid.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well Im at a fight I cannot win. It is beatable but I haven't been able to do it yet. Its when you save the stupid queen and she turns on you and you fight her dads head bitch. I could of course surrender and go on with the game but I refuse. I must win this battle. I want the sword. But after 20 tries Im no closer. I can get her to half health but then I die...all my guys die. And Im even drinking potent health potions as fast as I can with greater ones in between. She somehow can 1 hit me with full health and kill me. Even my tank dies like that. And the spell of prison or whatever does nothing to her. This is getting her alone in a back room away from all the archers too. There must be 10 of them. I hate this. Im almost at the point where I delete it and toss the game in to the yard.

EDIT: Got her!! Had to try and try and try. But now my quickbar is borked. I must have hit some key or key combo during the fight and my quickbar is bigger with NO skills or spells on it at all. I cant figure out what I did to reverse it. Im looking online now. Its as if I scrolled it up or down to a new set of boxes to use. Im hoping my old one is still there somewhere or I have a lot of work ahead of me.

EDIT2: And now after looting and moving off that screen and back I have a quickbar with my icons and stuff back to use but its way to the left and the bar now extends all the way right and havs no icons over there. I can resize it but it stays to the left...ANNOYING to hell game. Be glad when its over.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well I can see now Im not going to like how this ends. I wanted to be King all alone. I wanted to kill Anora for her betraying me when I rescued her. It says I can marry her and become consort IF I let Allistair kill her father. BUT if Allistair is hardened then he will force his way to become king. Damnit. Why cant they make a game where the customer gets what they want not some silly dev? All I want it to kill her stupid butt and let Allisair have what he wants in not becoming king and let me be King alone. Damnit. I hate this stuff.

It appears the only ending I can ge tis to marry her myself by letting Logain live which I refuse to do or let Allistair become king which will be the way to go.

Now to kill Logain myself or let Allistair do it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Shitty buggy fucking mess of a game. Bugs have started here at the end to just piss me off. First it ruins my hotbar then it gives me my hotbar back with more boxes but wont let me fill them. Then it wont let me use my health potions it took off them. Then it did but only in certain boxes. Then I cant heal with them because clicking does nothing. Then I cant use a character and now it crashed in a big fight on my way up to the last fight of the game. Damnit!!

I just want this game to be done with at this point.

The very worst part is I take Wynne with me all the time for healing so I upped her potion making to max so Morrigan wouldn't be my only potion maker. But it does me no good at all since the stupid game wont allow me to drag the icon to her hotbar and wont let me use iut from the menu. So she cant make a flippin thing. And I need them here at the end. Not sure how long those 100 potent health pots will last at the rate Im going.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And DONE! Finally. The day is won and I can delete it.

I ended up with 246 saves totaling 1.65 gigabytes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My plan was to finish this buggy infuriating mess then later try again at DA3. Hoping to continue on from where I left off and NOT start over .Its a HUGE game. Just thinking about it worries me.

But by all that is holy Im considering DA2 again first. All I recall about it was being called Hawke and all the action taking place in a since huge town I didn't care for with some dark roads tossed in.

For now I think Ill install Kingdoms of Amalur and see how that goes. Might be a good change of pace and clean my pallet so to speak.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok nope. Im drawn to play Hawke again but after watching a video on if DA2 holds up after all these years I think Ill pass. Not that it doesnt hold up but because every area they showed and ever map rhey were in I suddenly remember the area completely. The area and the fights as if Id just played it. The annoying female antagonist anf the final battle. It all came back. No point i nit again...for now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've played it through twice, and never found it buggy in the least. I'm wondering if you accidentally hit the key that locks that hot bar.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Nope was unlocked. Its as if I dragged it right to make more room then removed all icons. Then when it semi fixed itself it moved it way to the left where it should not reach and put some icons back and made multiples of them on the right of now giant bar.

This is what I finally got it looking like.......

Enlarge Image