Legend of Grimrock II

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Butterknife

Legend of Grimrock II

Post by Butterknife »

Anybody picking this up? I loved the first one and I'm in need of something to tide me over for the next week until Civilization: Beyond Earth comes out ...
Malacheye

Re: Legend of Grimrock II

Post by Malacheye »

i bought it yesterday, looking forward to playing it
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I really didn't like the first one, but this review from RPGFan has me possibly interested.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I'm in. Liked the first one a lot and looking forward to more.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I went ahead and bought it. I'm so weak. Sorry backlog. I'm really, really sorry.
tgb

Post by tgb »

The only thing holding me back is the promise of new builds of Sovereignty and Galciv III in the next couple of days. Those should tide me over until CIv:BE and BASPM hit in the next 2 weeks.

In other words, I can wait for a sale.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Preordered both this game and the remastered Gabriel Knight game. I enjoyed Legend of Grimrock until I got stuck on one puzzle.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I absolutely loved the Eye of the Beholder games and Legend of Grimrock 1, so I can't wait to play this sequel today. It's looking very good.
Insert witty comment here.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I just didn't care for the square dancing combat in the first one. Everything other than that was fine though. Probably will just wait for a sale on this.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Malacheye

Post by Malacheye »

Played it two hours already. Human/Knight, Lizard/Barbarian, Ratkin/Rogue, Human/Wizard. Love it! It is MOTS with the dancing combat, but super fun nonetheless. I like the fact that as soon as people design their own dungeons, we can play them. No problems with crashing or sound issues, flows really smooth.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

The game rocks so far. Have played it for about 3 hours or so, and it's been stellar. Lots more variation than the first one, including actual boss battles this time around. You're still dancing around enemies (this type of game is designed around that concept), but most enemies have ways to trip you up this time. Some of them will leap at you from a distance or launch rapid ranged attacks. Some are able to attack in other directions than just in front, which is a nasty surprise if you're trying to flank them. Some are able to leap to the side and make an instant attack against you if you try to flank them. Some are able to strafe quickly to flank you. Most will wait a little while turning back and forth to confuse you, which makes both the direction and timing of their approach harder to predict. All of this is stuff I've seen myself, and I'm sure the game will have further ways to mess with the old combat routine. Suffice to say, it's next to impossible to avoid all damage by moving around this time.

Having said that, the Legend of Grimrock games aren't about combat. They're about puzzles, and I've already stumbled across a couple that stumped me briefly before I had that oh-so-satisfying moment of revelation where the solution became crystal clear. Lots of secrets too, so prepare to obsessively scan walls for hidden buttons. Just don't take too long, because food and light is limited...
Last edited by TiLT on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I caved. $20, why not? My very first experience beta testing was on the original Dungeon Master for the ST, so this genre holds a special place in my heart. It will come in handy when I need a breather from Beyond Earth
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

How could I resist playing a Farmer?

Party makeup for first try (Normal difficulty)
Barbarian Minotaur named "Bull Hit"
Human Farmer "Udderly Useless"
Ratling Alchemist "Meth Head"
Insectoid BattleMage "Gandolt"

I'll keep my farmer in the front row if I can, but if he's too squishy I'll put him in the back and see if a BattleMage really can be a front-line character. If it turns out that neither of them can be in the front line, I guess I'll start over.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'm starting over because I just noticed that instead of a Ratling Thief I created a Fighter. I don't know if I screwed up or that's a weird bug.

By the way, in case you haven't tried it
Spoiler:
weeds, brush, etc. on the beach can be hacked away.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Also I would have thought that you could create a torch of sorts by sticking a branch in fire.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

I'm really enjoying it. It feels just like playing the first one -- combat to keep things interesting, puzzles that are hard, lots of secret areas. I've only put in 2 hours, but I think I'm going to like it a lot. Got stuck on one really simple puzzle right off the bat -- that doesn't bode well (not for the game -- for my ability to play it well).

The Human Farmer isn't as bad as you would think, at least so far. Of course, he isn't really good for anything, either. But the mechanic where he levels up by eating instead of killing monsters is interesting. I think I can pretty much grow him into whatever type of character I want, so for now I'm making him into a thrower. We'll see how this plays out in the long run.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

The farmer is a joke class, so don't expect it to be balanced. I think it's there to give Let's Players some interesting challenges to show off.
tgb wrote:Also I would have thought that you could create a torch of sorts by sticking a branch in fire.
That would have been a crappy torch. The torches we see in most fantasy games are actually (at least as far as I'm aware) a thick stick covered in oily rags at the end. The rags and the oil are what's burning, not the wood itself.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I gave my Ratling Alchemist a point in Water Magic, thinking that anyone could use magic, but apparently only certain classes can do that. So I think that point is totally wasted, which sort of sucks. I also gave him the "Aura" trait, which isn't worth much either. I'm probably going to restart and make a better party, as the Knight, Battle Mage, Alchemist, and Wizard combo was not overly easy to play.

That Battle Mage can absolutely be front line, particularly if you kit him well with protection traits. That being said, he is the character that dies the most in my party, so that is no good. I also made a mistake in giving my lower Dex Battle Mage the Light Weapons skill - he needs Heavy weapons to be more effective.

I think my "do over" party will be a Knight (kitted with Armor skill and either athletics or a weapon skill), Rogue (light weapons and dodge for later dual wielding), Alchemist (Firearms and Alchemy), and a Wizard (Fire and Earth, probably). I may trade out the Alchemist for something else (and give it the alchemy skill) because I was not noticing any of the herbs "growing" in his inventory. Class seems secondary to skills, as the classes only really offer bonuses to actions rather than limit what you can do.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

baelthazar wrote:I may trade out the Alchemist for something else (and give it the alchemy skill) because I was not noticing any of the herbs "growing" in his inventory.
It happens constantly for mine. Put your herbs in neat stacks, and you'll easily be able to tell when you've had growth because the newly grown herbs won't be part of the stack.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Did the original have a free camera mode? If it did, I never used it. Anyway, as I discovered by trail and error, you can look up and down by holding down the right mouse button. I suspect that will lead to a lot of puzzle solutions.

Speaking of puzzles, the only one to give me a headache so far was
Spoiler:
digging up the treasure chest buried next to the Oak tree. That was only because I was using the shovel incorrectly - I kept grabbing it and clicking on the ground, instead of using it as a weapon.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm pretty sure it did, yes.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Malacheye

Post by Malacheye »

Exploring the underground reveals lots of pits that one can fall through. After falling through there are areas to explore, some even have secrets and decent loot.

Does anyone know if these places are revealed later on as "normal" dungeon exploration areas, or do we need to fall through the pits and take the fall damage and broken limbs and explore from the current area?

Thanks
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

You should always save and jump into pits when you find them in both Grimrock games, because there are often secrets down them. You'll eventually find ways to descend safely, but you shouldn't hold off. I don't think you'll end up in later levels (though there may be exceptions), so there's no reason to be afraid of whatever's down there, beyond the usual reasons to be afraid of rounding a corner in this game.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

In the first one there was at least one area where you could farm snails for food. Anything like that?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Not that I've seen. Not that it matters much. I'm swimming in food right now, with two full crates and a sack full of it, as well as some outside of containers. It's becoming a real weight problem.
Malacheye

Post by Malacheye »

Im thinking it would be a good idea to dump a lot of the extra food at the "hub".

Best centralized location i have found so far...
tgb

Post by tgb »

Surprisingly there does appear to be some randomization (unless it's a bug). I had to reload and restart a particular (small) dungeon and when I did I found
Spoiler:
a button that opened a secret door was no longer there. Also a skeleton that dropped a weapon the first time when killed dropped a shield the second.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I think I'm running into an odd bug where health potions disappear after I put them in the inventory of one particular party member. I'm going to go back and confirm that they are really gone, but if they are, that's a pretty nasty bug.

[edit] Never mind. It's still a bug but instead of going into inventory they go into his empty hand in weapon set II. Still a bug, but no biggie.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Finally broke through to the Hamlet of Stormbreach (where are the villagers?), but man some of the puzzles are insanely difficult. Good thing I remembered some cheesy techniques from the first game (like hiding behind a chained door during cool down). I must be missing a lot of secrets, will probably replay once a decent walkthrough is out. There are some videos out, but it's some idiot blundering along who doesn't even edit out his many team wipes.

does anyone know:
Spoiler:
Is there any way to breathe under water?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Malacheye wrote:Exploring the underground reveals lots of pits that one can fall through. After falling through there are areas to explore, some even have secrets and decent loot.

Does anyone know if these places are revealed later on as "normal" dungeon exploration areas, or do we need to fall through the pits and take the fall damage and broken limbs and explore from the current area?

Thanks
You can get a rope to lower yourself down into pits (this is new, not in # 1). But the only one I have seen so far was behind a gold key lock, and I did not want to use it on that.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I don't think I've ever seen a game where secrets are as important as this one. If you don't find any secrets, your equipment will be absolute crap for the vast majority of the game. Almost all the equipment I'm using comes from secrets.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Fucking leprechauns.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

tgb wrote:Fucking leprechauns.
Not a day goes by that I don't say the same thing.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:
tgb wrote:Fucking leprechauns.
Not a day goes by that I don't say the same thing.
:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Here are some helpful tips (minor spoilers) that may increase your enjoyment/reduce frustration:
Spoiler:
One of the best sources for food is fish. Jump in the water near a ladder and start grabbing them. I tried to harpoon them but that does not work. You can use a harpoon under water to fight turtles and the blue meanies. In order to get a harpoon, jump in the water on top of a blue meanie - no exp, but he will drop his weapon.

To fight the leafy elementals, use the dispel spell (a figure "Z" across all runes). Eventually you should also find an ethereal blade in the cemetery that works on them too.

There is a rope on the second level of the Crystal Mines you can use to lower yourself into holes.

If you are stuck on a puzzle, the Steam forums now have spoilers for most.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

I finished this up and thoroughly enjoyed it. The polish and puzzles in Grimrock are really great. Definitely looking forward to more stuff from them.
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

How long did it take you to beat this game? I'm about 20 hours in and I'm wondering how much more I have. I'm afraid I'm resorting to spoilers more than I'd like -- the puzzles can be pretty hard!
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I finished this game yesterday too. Keep in mind that there are two endings in the game, where the most obvious one is actually a kind of failure. The true ending requires a bit more work. If the ending implies that something is left unresolved, you haven't actually finished the game yet.

Steam says it took me 31 hours, but I know I was alt-tabbed during some of those. Probably took 25-28 hours total.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I finally started this one up last night after finishing my lengthy Wasteland play through. It’s definitely Grimrock! I found the grid movement in the wide open areas a bit odd feeling but once I made it to the first underground area it was like coming home again. It seems like they are throwing a lot more equipment at me early on, that or I'm just better at finding secrets now. I remember being an hour in the original and still fighting mostly by throwing rocks at enemies.