Legend of Grimrock II

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Suitably Ironic Moniker

Re: Legend of Grimrock II

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Yeah, you don't start out at square one in this one, in terms of equipment, or enemy varieties. They get difficult fast.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Effidian

Post by Effidian »

For me the in game time says 29 hours, steams says 61... I leave games running all the time, so I really have no idea what my real play time is.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

My user created level is now up on Steam:

The Prison

This is the kind of level I like to play, pretty straightforward, with some things you must figure out to progress, but no insanely convoluted puzzles. Somewhat of a one trick pony, but a decent trick.

Let me know if you get stuck and I will provide spoilers.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Am I missing something? It seems like everywhere I go I eventually run into an enemy that just destroys my party. Party level 8ish. First it was a bunch of crabs that could one shot my party members. So I left assuming I shouldn't be in that area. Then I tried going to the cemetery. Just generally bad area for me. I back tracked and ran into air elementals that I couldn’t hurt at all. Turns out I needed a spell tree I hadn't put any points into. I had to jump in the river just to get back to the hub. Then I went to the serpent tomb, which was going fine till I encountered the medusa things.

Not really liking the nonlinear nature of Grimrock 2 vs the original.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Have you completed the forest area dungeons and the swamp? You can also revisit areas you have completed for re-spawns. I remember retreating from the cemetery to do this.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Lordnine wrote:Am I missing something? It seems like everywhere I go I eventually run into an enemy that just destroys my party. Party level 8ish. First it was a bunch of crabs that could one shot my party members. So I left assuming I shouldn't be in that area. Then I tried going to the cemetery. Just generally bad area for me. I back tracked and ran into air elementals that I couldn’t hurt at all. Turns out I needed a spell tree I hadn't put any points into. I had to jump in the river just to get back to the hub. Then I went to the serpent tomb, which was going fine till I encountered the medusa things.

Not really liking the nonlinear nature of Grimrock 2 vs the original.
The crabs are one of the easiest enemies in the game if you maneuver properly. There are very, very few enemies in this game where you should stand still and fight. You need to move around. If you can lure crabs into a 2x2 room where you can remain undisturbed (which I could with almost every single crab in the game, with only one exception that I abused the ladder mechanic against), they will never be able to even attack you as long as you keep moving. The crabs are powerful because they have such a glaring weakness in that they can be outmaneuvered easier than almost every other enemy in the game.
Insert witty comment here.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yep, the first time I encountered a crab I managed to kill it by kiting. I still lost a person because, as I said, it could one shot me, but I managed to kill it. The problem was that the area I found had a switch at the end of the corridor. When I pulled the switch two gates would open on either side of me and two crabs would surround and destroy me. I think there were even more crabs inside the room.

Anyways, I figure that is where I am headed back to at this point. I am at least 2 levels higher than the first time I was there so hopefully I can find something useful down there. Just annoying because wherever I go I consistently feel under leveled.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Lordnine wrote:Yep, the first time I encountered a crab I managed to kill it by kiting. I still lost a person because, as I said, it could one shot me, but I managed to kill it. The problem was that the area I found had a switch at the end of the corridor. When I pulled the switch two gates would open on either side of me and two crabs would surround and destroy me. I think there were even more crabs inside the room.
I think there are only two crabs there, one in each room. You can kite them separately down the corridor into a 2x2 room nearby. This was one of my first encounters with them, and I didn't even try to handle them head-on.

It's also possible to pull the switch and storm into the room to the right (the chance of the crab to the left joining in is low, I think), which should have room enough to move. On the other hand, if you're being consistently one-shotted by these guys, you may want to try exploring a different area. I met these pretty early on in my adventure, but I'd been through a separate area first that gave me a little extra power and equipment to use. I don't recall them ever killing me in one shot. Then again, I don't think the early crabs hit me at all, so I never got to check.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

So apparently the crab area is actually a huge area that I completely missed called the sewer!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Really? A Cannon rat giant, a firebomb leprechaun and a bunch of little rats with wolves all in a 5x6 area?
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

Lordnine wrote:Really? A Cannon rat giant, a firebomb leprechaun and a bunch of little rats with wolves all in a 5x6 area?
Did you miss the sign that said "Danger"? :D
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

No sign, this was a previously cleared area. I just came out of the Crystal Caverns bloody and beaten by spiders and took a cannonball directly to the face, killing one of my guys in one shot. Then the damn Leprechaun threw a fire bomb at me and burned the rest of my party to death on the spot.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

You're not supposed to confront them in that little area. Run out through the snail's path and engage them in the large, open area outside, preferably by separating them first.

If you simply can't get out that way, there is a different path out of the crystal caverns, allowing you to take the (very) long way around and approach them from the other direction.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Finished the game completely tonight. The basic ending took about 23 hours to beat and the “True” ending put me at 25.

It's a good game but I preferred the first quite a bit. The open layout doesn’t work for me and there were a few areas that just seemed built to frustrate. Also, the first game had quite a bit more personality; I was always happy when I found a note from Toorum.

Some lessons learned:

Farmers – Just say no! Although I am pretty impressed that since I stuck with my farmer, I have an achievement that only 2.8% of people have gotten. (Get a farmer to level 10)

Alchemy is way more important than I expected. I didn’t bother with it till about half way through the game but once I did everything became really easy. Mostly because I was able to suddenly make 11 +1 stat potions all at once.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

May I interest anyone in a Steam code? I have a spare--just reply here in the thread.

I few of you guys on my friends list have it on your wishlists, but none were recent additions, so I wanted to ask first.
Last edited by Sudy on Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

If no one else wants the code Sudy Nym, I will take it. I was probably gonna pick it up anyway during the xmas sale but if you dont have any need for the key I would certainly appreciate the savings.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

PM sent!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
soulbringer

Post by soulbringer »

Thanks a bunch. I will be sure to pay it forward during the xmas sale to someone.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Soo Tell me about Mods. I see quite a few on steam workshop. Some seem to be quite elaborate. Anyone tried any and would recommend?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I played 1 a few years ago, but only got about half way through it. Is there any compelling reason to finish 1 (which would likely necessitate a restart) before playing 2?

And yes, I'm compensating for not having Bard's Tale. ;)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Nothing compelling, certainly (no characters can be carried over, and the story is separate). I actually preferred the tighter focus of the first one over the spread-out gameplay when they moved it outdoors for the second.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I would be way more interested in this game if it was the Legend of Grimlock.
Black Lives Matter.