[Spaceship RPG] Rebel Galaxy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ColdSteel

Re: [Spaceship RPG] Rebel Galaxy

Post by ColdSteel »

Scoop20906 wrote:How useful is the Flak (X button)? It just fires off to the side and explodes. Is this supposed to damage the fighters? It doesn;t seem to make much of a difference.
I believe those are close in weapons to take out missiles mostly. So, point defense.
Baroquen wrote:I'm getting my butt handed to me in combat.
Silly question maybe but are you doing non-story missions? If you do those, make sure you pay attention to the threat level of the mission when you get to the waypoint. If it says moderate/high threat (levels yellow/red I think?) then Travis said to run away. Early on, all we'll be able to do is low threat missions with low threat enemies. Once we get our ships some upgrades, then we can start kicking some proper ass. :D
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Daehawk wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:How useful is the Flak (X button)? It just fires off to the side and explodes. Is this supposed to damage the fighters? It doesn;t seem to make much of a difference.
I was wondering this too. I thought I saw a video once saying it tore up fighters but like you it seems useless to me. Maybe you have to be really close?
I'm thinking maybe we have to get better flak guns to take out the fighters? Remember, we start the game with really shitty equipment.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

It's hard to tell but it seems to be doing a good amount of damage to fighters and bombers if they're right on top of me. Since it doesn't seem ammo limited, I just spam X any time fighters are near me.

The game is growing on me now that I'm getting the hang of combat more. The computer saying 'threat level blue/orange/red' when you encounter a new group of ships is the equivalent of the /consider command. You really need to be ready and willing to run away from bad encounters, moreso than in other Elite-like games I think. Gotta upgrade your basic ship components ASAP: armor, shields, other kind of shield, engine, booster. There's a lot to upgrade, but the Mk1 level equipment isn't all that expensive and they seem to make a big difference from the starter stuff.

When you're taking missions from the mission board, pay attention to who's offering the mission and which factions' reputation gets modified. It seemed like some missions sounded noble by their description but were actually requested by pirates.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

How do you use the tractor beam? I don't see a key command for it. Does it just engage automatically when you get close to something you can pick up? If not, how's that work?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My entire STEAM activity feed is people purchasing this game. Apparently it's quite popular. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

ColdSteel wrote:How do you use the tractor beam? I don't see a key command for it. Does it just engage automatically when you get close to something you can pick up? If not, how's that work?
You get close and then you get a "press and hold A to pick up" prompt.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

wonderpug wrote:You get close and then you get a "press and hold A to pick up" prompt.
Great, thanks!
Smoove_B wrote:My entire STEAM activity feed is people purchasing this game. Apparently it's quite popular. :D
Amazingly it's the #1 seller on Steam right now and #2 on GoG behind the new Witcher expansion/season pass there. Pretty awesome stuff for a 2 man indie crew. I'm sure they're very relieved and happy right now. Word of mouth and streamers can work wonders as a PR strategy, apparently.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Just FYI, the game saves every time you enter a station. However, what's not so widely known is that it also saves whenever you exit the game, no matter where you are. So, you just won an important mission battle or picked up some awesome loot? Exit the game to lock in your progress.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Purchased through GOG because it looks like fun and I wanted to support a small indie firm - but no idea when I'll get to it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Spent more hours with the game last night and I'm liking it way way better than my initial hour. I've got a better feel now for how to split my attention between fighters and capital ships in a fight, which weapons I like or don't like for my ship, how to spot earlier when a fight is going sour.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ColdSteel wrote:Just FYI, the game saves every time you enter a station. However, what's not so widely known is that it also saves whenever you exit the game, no matter where you are. So, you just won an important mission battle or picked up some awesome loot? Exit the game to lock in your progress.
Ah, that is good to know. Was hesitating on buying with saves just at stationss, though exiting the game is a bit drastic solution, IMHO.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Also, Level II shields and Armor make all the difference. That and mining lasers have 120% shield penetration so they are awesome for chewing up fighters and breaking down cap ships shields.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Grifman wrote:
ColdSteel wrote:Just FYI, the game saves every time you enter a station. However, what's not so widely known is that it also saves whenever you exit the game, no matter where you are. So, you just won an important mission battle or picked up some awesome loot? Exit the game to lock in your progress.
Ah, that is good to know. Was hesitating on buying with saves just at stationss, though exiting the game is a bit drastic solution, IMHO.
Well, you don't really exit the game, you just exit to the main menu, which saves the game automatically. Then hit the continue button there. It's very quick.
naednek

Post by naednek »

jztemple2 wrote:If this wasn't previously posted, there's a pretty decent video review here, which I found via a Steam review.

Go to about 4:30 into the video review and tell me he's not saying butthole :P I know he's saying battle, but man it gets funnier each time he says it :D
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

How do you Not pick up contraband when you're next to a station that you want to dock at? I can't get the Dock command to show up, there's a pile of illegal bio-crap sitting right next to it that won't let me destroy it (weird) and I can't find a way to get the station to let me in while it's there.

It's exactly like drugs, just sitting there and tempting me.
There is no hug button. Sad!
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

killbot737 wrote:How do you Not pick up contraband when you're next to a station that you want to dock at? I can't get the Dock command to show up,
You should be able to use the scanner and lock onto the station. Then the dock key should show up and let you dock. At least, that works when you have multiple types of cargo to pick up and you want to pick up one thing over another.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Ok, got in a little time and feeling a bit more comfortable. Trading is hard when I don't understand the markets and stations yet so I wasn't making any money so I tried the missions board and that seemed to be a good, safe way to make money. I was able to take some safe missions and get more comfortable with the combat.

However, on the way back I responded to a distress call and ended up fight two cruisers that moved like fighters so I wasn't able to hit them well with my broadsides (very frustrating). Instead of running I tried fighting it out and exploded.

Ok, I like that I am dying because I pick bad fights. I want to feel weak at the beginning and upgrade. Sadly, I died and lost of my progresses. A tough lesson to learn but I like consequences like this.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Loving this game. Except I chose a really tough mission where I have to deliver 11 units of soy paste. So now I'm stuck with a mission I can't do quite yet and the soy paste mostly filling my hold. I'm at around $330k in money and want to buy a nearly $600k Barracuda ship and it's going to take a while with this hold filled up, lol.

The mining laser made a surprisingly huge difference in combat. Highly recommend you upgrade to one as quickly as possible.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Damn OO effect. I just bought the Euro Truck Simulator Scandinavia expansion yesterday and told myself I wasn't going to get sucked in the Rebel Galaxy hype, but :roll:.

So far I'm doing OK, but I am spending money like a drunken cowboy. I guess that's the point :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Same here. I bought then sold my flak canons. I think Im going 2 mining lasers on turrets....not sure on broadsides.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, some of us are older and are just trying to understand things, like the commodities screen:

Why are some white, some green, some red. I thought that this would be related to price versus the average, but that's not always true. Also some have (!) in front of the price. Anything that can be deduced about that?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Tack on to that question: how do I tell what the price was when I purchased the said items. It doesn't seem to be listed.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I actually thought it was the price better or worse also...not sure if thats selling or buying though. No idea on the !
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

If it's red it's under average market value. If it's green it's over. If it's white it's at. I've found that if I buy up a bunch of stuff under market value it tends to be under valued at just about all the other outposts too... for a while. Eventually the price starts coming up. My general rule is not to buy anything unless it's like half of average value.

It also helps to talk to bartenders and traders and see what kind of market info they have.

Also, you can hail a trading ship out in space and trade with them. So far I've found it very much worth it. I just had a bunch of data cubes that I bought for half of market value (around $1,500) that I couldn't find a place to unload at a good price. I came upon a distress signal and saved a trading ship and they bought all my cubes for a little over $4k each.

Now I'm in my brand new Barracuda corvette and it's fun! It's almost as maneuverable as the fighters.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Buy mercenaries at the bar! I figured for the price the mercenary would just last one outing or mission, but as far as I can tell they stick around as a permanent wingman until destroyed.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive had the first guy that cost me $1000 for a few missions now. I dont see any way to command him. I guess he just does his thing whatever that is. Its an extra gun as far as I can tell.

I could really use a ship listing. I can ask him what ship he uses but I have no idea how good or bad it is.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

cheeba wrote:If it's red it's under average market value. If it's green it's over. If it's white it's at. I've found that if I buy up a bunch of stuff under market value it tends to be under valued at just about all the other outposts too... for a while. Eventually the price starts coming up. My general rule is not to buy anything unless it's like half of average value.
I could really use a warehouse so I could buy and store at the spacestation, but then I guess the game would turn into something like the Patrician series.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

cheeba wrote:If it's red it's under average market value. If it's green it's over. If it's white it's at. I've found that if I buy up a bunch of stuff under market value it tends to be under valued at just about all the other outposts too... for a while. Eventually the price starts coming up. My general rule is not to buy anything unless it's like half of average value.

It also helps to talk to bartenders and traders and see what kind of market info they have.

Also, you can hail a trading ship out in space and trade with them. So far I've found it very much worth it. I just had a bunch of data cubes that I bought for half of market value (around $1,500) that I couldn't find a place to unload at a good price. I came upon a distress signal and saved a trading ship and they bought all my cubes for a little over $4k each.

Now I'm in my brand new Barracuda corvette and it's fun! It's almost as maneuverable as the fighters.
Yes, buy expensive goods, find a trading ship, and they will buy what you gave at 2 to 3 times what you paid. Not sure of this is a bug or not but you can pile up some cash quick.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I need more cargo space. I can only carry 3 pieces of ore.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

On trading, buy red, sell green. The graph on the far right when a commodity is selected will show the high and low sell/buy points in the system and there is also a running update there of the most recent prices of that item for places you've visited. The (!) next to a commodity item means that the price is affected by an ongoing system event. That means it's either unnaturally low or high. Those items can make you some big profits. Check the board in the bar to see what current system events are happening.

As far as having a quest that's too tough, you should be able to drop the quest and (maybe?) pick it up again later when you can handle it. At last, that's what I've read.

So far I've been trading and mining and made enough to upgrade everything in my ship to MK1 with about 40,000 credits left over. I also hired the merc in the starting station. Due to the upgrades and merc all the combat has been pretty easy. That mining laser I have has just been destroying everything and the merc is very handy with bombers/fighters. I almost forgot to upgrade my engines, thruster and warp drive so don't forget about those. All the starting equipment is crap and you need to replace it ASAP before getting into any real fights.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote:I think Im going 2 mining lasers on turrets....not sure on broadsides.
I got into this last night and tried out a few things in my turrets, and ultimately settled on Mining Lasers. The Flak felt under-powered. The 6 homing missiles were amazing ... until ammo goes dry in 11 shots. The mining lasers are somewhat close range, but literally chew through shields and hulls alike and have been remarkably useful against gunships and capital ships. Plus, mining.

... regarding mining - WTF? I spent time in a couple mineral-rich areas and my experience with the mining laser was that it was a complete waste of time. I harvested a few crates of metal for $300 in sales in the time I could have run a mission to earn $5000. I also spent time in an ice field but got exactly zero return for ripping apart 30 ice-teroids.

I've only managed to upgrade all of my equipment to the 1st tier after "Junk" level, including the first $43,000 ship. I'm still in the first system and still learning the ropes - but feel it's a good game overall so far. I'm struggling to keep track of where to buy parts, but that's mostly just exploration and noting who sells what.

I'm having no issues with keyboard and mouse, except when it's in "Aiming" modes - then the mouse responsiveness is sluggish, which I imagine is compensation the game has set up for controller users.
Black Lives Matter

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Paingod wrote:I'm having no issues with keyboard and mouse, except when it's in "Aiming" modes - then the mouse responsiveness is sluggish, which I imagine is compensation the game has set up for controller users.
The patch that dropped yesterday had this:
Expiremental 'fast mouse' mode is now available in the launcher.
Fast mouse mode has had various improvements and tweaks in order to increase precision and responsiveness.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Daehawk wrote:Ive had the first guy that cost me $1000 for a few missions now. I dont see any way to command him. I guess he just does his thing whatever that is. Its an extra gun as far as I can tell.
You can give him the same type of basic commands that you can give your guns from the main title window. Which is a really really weird place to put an in-game menu. Such as only attack fighters, attack capitol ships, attack everything, etc.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Paingod wrote:
Daehawk wrote:I think Im going 2 mining lasers on turrets....not sure on broadsides.
... regarding mining - WTF? I spent time in a couple mineral-rich areas and my experience with the mining laser was that it was a complete waste of time. I harvested a few crates of metal for $300 in sales in the time I could have run a mission to earn $5000. I also spent time in an ice field but got exactly zero return for ripping apart 30 ice-teroids.
I believe you almost have to buy the 'fault finder' subsystem. That lets you harvest more expensive ores from asteroids. I've seen screenshots of people selling some of the ores for over 1k each
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Cortilian wrote:
Paingod wrote:
I believe you almost have to buy the 'fault finder' subsystem. That lets you harvest more expensive ores from asteroids. I've seen screenshots of people selling some of the ores for over 1k each
Yeah, generic mining is worthless, you really need to look for specific high grade ores.
Stuie

Post by Stuie »

I can't get a sense of this from watching streams: is the combat just button mashing? Or is there some thought involved?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Stuie wrote:I can't get a sense of this from watching streams: is the combat just button mashing? Or is there some thought involved?
No more so than any game where you're fighting in space.
  • Hold right-click to aim your selected weapon (turrets or broadsides), left-click to fire... or just left-click to fire with less accuracy.
  • Incoming missiles or torpedoes? Press "Space" just before they hit to activate deflectors to absorb the damage.
  • Secondary fire missiles launched using "Shift"
  • Forward thrust controlled in increments of 25% using "E"
  • Thrust cancelled in 25% increments using "Q"
  • Ship steering is done with "A" and "D" to turn your crate left and right.
  • Boost forward using "W" (until fuel is burned) to run from hostiles or chase them down
  • Boost in reverse using "S" (until fuel is burned) to avoid collisions and perform quick turns
  • Active key "E" performs numerous functions when held down (not tapped to increment thrust) - Interact/Dock/Collect/Tractor
It's very action oriented and there's usually a mess around you that it's impossible to keep track of. Combat for me has come down to basically "I got this" and "Oh shit, I need to run" - but it's a lot of trying to move to maximize the firepower you're unleashing. Turrets will autofire, but broadsides won't, so you spend a lot of combat trying to get hostiles in your broadsides and trying to avoid being pummeled by theirs. You also spend time trying to minimize exposed armor areas so shields can recharge, and if you get an armor penetration, you spend time trying to keep that side from getting hit at all so you don't suffer core damage.
Last edited by Paingod on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I see you're using a keyboard/mouse configuration, but I thought I read this game was designed around the assumption that someone is using a controller. Thoughts?

To be clear, not that you can't use a K/M setup but I think a good portion of gamers can appreciate that some games just play better with a console controller. I know it's a personal opinion, but it is one I happen to agree with and an option I've come to love for some games.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote:I see you're using a keyboard/mouse configuration, but I thought I read this game was designed around the assumption that someone is using a controller. Thoughts?
I'm having no problems with my keyboard vs. a controller, but they do recommend a controller in the config menu. I also play GTA with a keyboard and mouse without issue, so it's more a matter of comfort zone. A number of people have boggled at me using a K/M config for GTA, but I find I control vehicles as well or maybe even better than a controller can despite being able to only go full throttle or no throttle. I just tap and control and time and brake correctly. My cars certainly don't pinball down the road and I drive a lot better than a number of gameplay videos I've seen.

It's WASD movement, more or less, with the buttons available to that hand easily accessible. It was pretty quick to get the hang of combat.

Since it's more action-oriented and the computer does a lot of the real aiming for you, a console controller would work well. I only break mine out for platformers like Rogue Legacy.
Last edited by Paingod on Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'm using a controller and it works well.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon