[Spaceship RPG] Rebel Galaxy

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scoop20906

Re: [Spaceship RPG] Rebel Galaxy

Post by Scoop20906 »

Daehawk wrote:Couldn't find that Rebuild game.
Is this what you are looking for?
Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im not sure. I thought it would be a space game. Maybe thats it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote:Im not sure. I thought it would be a space game. Maybe thats it.
No, he said you wanted something like a Rebuild, but in space. Not that Rebuild was in space.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

First review, 10/10 from a site I've never heard of:

http://gametabloid.com/review/rebel-galaxy
All in all, this is a fantastically developed game. I literally can’t find anything lacking. Some might feel that the game is made for a more casual space sim crowd, but I don’t feel it has lessened the game in any way. There is perfect blend of simplicity, features, and gameplay, and Rebel Galaxy pulls this off better than any I’ve seen. It’s full of content, looks great, and plays even better. The controls are very smooth, though I certainly felt it was best enjoyed with a controller (though this is not necessary). So if you’re a fan of space sims or space arcade games, this is certainly worth a purchase as well. Speaking of which, the game will release on Steam October 20th at the the extremely more than reasonable $20. In fact, the game is a steal at this price and I was honestly quite shocked to find out it would be launching at such a low cost. It has higher quality and more content than most games price $50-$60, but Double Damage has decided to make an amazing game and put it at an amazing price. What more could you ask for?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tomorrow is coming tomorrow is coming! Will this go on sale at midnight?
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Damn you I thought it was released a day early when I saw a post.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh man I might need a doctor if it did. Ive been able to save $20 in my Steam account for months now waiting on this. Ive passed up lots of stuff and stayed strong. Sometimes even something I could afford was passed up because I was afraid of either a billing error or my own bad math.

I want to name my ship Firefly for the show.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

If you haven't been reading Bill Harris, he's been wetting his pants recently over his review copy. Really looking forward to this one.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Daehawk wrote:Tomorrow is coming tomorrow is coming! Will this go on sale at midnight?
At 4:46 pm EST, Steam says:
Available: 20 October
This game will unlock in approximately 20 hours
So very doubtful it'll be available at midnight. Going to guess around 1pm EST like most games
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Should be ready to buy when I get back from my pre op blood work.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

These words ".....the lack of a Z axis" from this review is why I'm buying this game.
Black Lives Matter
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Eurogamer don't like it, it's not swayed it for me though, still getting this today when it's released
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'm guessing the lack of a Z-Axis will be the biggest complaint out of some reviews, but all the word of mouth I've heard has been pretty glowing, so I'm definitely going to be picking this up tonight.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

The Z-axis thing put me off at first as to me it turns space ship battles into sailing ship battles... but the older, more curmudgeonly me with less game play time can see the value in "simplified combat in a very fun and engaging way that still allows for tactical combat". :wink:
-mf
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Reemul wrote:Eurogamer don't like it, it's not swayed it for me though, still getting this today when it's released
Yes, here is their review:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... axy-review

Their concerns are the same as mine.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You can buy it now
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

MonkeyFinger wrote:The Z-axis thing put me off at first as to me it turns space ship battles into sailing ship battles... but the older, more curmudgeonly me with less game play time can see the value in "simplified combat in a very fun and engaging way that still allows for tactical combat". :wink:
I really, really like WWII-type fleet tactics, so I'm usually ok with just 2 dimensions most of the time.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Stream is giving a 'failed to initialize' error on trying to pay on both my valid methods. Anyone else having trouble paying?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Cortilian wrote:Stream is giving a 'failed to initialize' error on trying to pay on both my valid methods. Anyone else having trouble paying?
Abort, Retry, Fail?_

I was able to buy it and boot it without issue. Have you already tried restarting Steam (being sure it's totally closed in the system tray)?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cortilian wrote:Stream is giving a 'failed to initialize' error on trying to pay on both my valid methods. Anyone else having trouble paying?
Yup, me. I just opened a support ticket with Steam over it.

edit: okay, now it's working again. I'm guessing it was just a temporary outage for some.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just bought it no problem. It is installing now. Also got it for $17.99..its on sale 10% off!!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

MonkeyFinger wrote:The Z-axis thing put me off at first as to me it turns space ship battles into sailing ship battles... but the older, more curmudgeonly me with less game play time can see the value in "simplified combat in a very fun and engaging way that still allows for tactical combat". :wink:
I don't see that the z axis adds anything. The ships largely use broadships for their biggest guns so you are going to end up going side to side anyway if you want to do any damage. So you'll have to orient yourself to your opponents ship and vice versa anyway.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im glad of it. When theres more Z I get all messed up and cant even follow the camera.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

My first impression isn't as great as I thought it'd be. I could have used some more handholding to get into the swing of things before getting thrust into the wild. Combat is just super frenetic and confusing at this point.

I've got broadside cannons, but I can't tell how far they shoot. There's an overlay that shows their aiming direction when I start charging them, but the length of that overlay doesn't seem to correspond to range and only loosely ties to aim. I see my turrets autofiring, but I can also manually take control of my turrets. Do my broadsides turn to autofire when I take control of my turrets?

I take a 'kill pirates' mission that's marked as easy, but when I fly to the mission site a warning pops up and tells me I'm too weak for the fight.

I get a tractor beam and after a battle I successfully scoop up a piece of cargo. I go to scoop up a second and get told that my hold is full already. I go to a station to sell and I did indeed have just 1 of 10 cargo slots used. I have no idea what went wrong.

The game does seem to have a lot of potential and I'm still excited to put some more time into it, but yeah, other than the very first few tutorial missions the first hour of my playtime was way more headscratching than I'd like.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Yeah worked for me now too. Downloading...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Took me a few minutes to figure out how to quit out lol.

I think for the ship in and out of range it simply says so above the enemy ship name.

I didn't have a tractor beam installed on that second mission so missed that loot. I sold everything in my inv which was about 5 things.

I did the first 2 missions and have a 2nd turret, 2nd broadsides which is a flak thing I think, and a tractor beam now.

The controller really makes it smooth to play. No hassle ..I like it.

The start of the game reminds me of Privateer with the family member and old hand me down ship.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I went to describe this game to a co-worker and realized I couldn't because all I really know about it is the combat. Drive around in 2D, positioning and broadsiding each other, gathering "resources" (cash, I guess?) and upgrading your ship and its components.

How do you guys describe the game?
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

GreenGoo wrote:So I went to describe this game to a co-worker and realized I couldn't because all I really know about it is the combat. Drive around in 2D, positioning and broadsiding each other, gathering "resources" (cash, I guess?) and upgrading your ship and its components.

Has your coworker played anything like Elite or Privateer, maybe Galaxy on Fire for something more recent?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

wonderpug wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:So I went to describe this game to a co-worker and realized I couldn't because all I really know about it is the combat. Drive around in 2D, positioning and broadsiding each other, gathering "resources" (cash, I guess?) and upgrading your ship and its components.

Has your coworker played anything like Elite or Privateer, maybe Galaxy on Fire for something more recent?
Yes, I mentioned both Elite and Privateer like 10 minutes ago. Is the game like that? I'm asking for myself as well, because I don't seem to have a handle on it.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Freelancer - Capital Ship
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

FYI The range to target number will be red if they are out of range for your active weapon.

Also, swarm turrets are very cool but run out of ammo way too fast.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

GreenGoo wrote:
wonderpug wrote:

Yes, I mentioned both Elite and Privateer like 10 minutes ago. Is the game like that? I'm asking for myself as well, because I don't seem to have a handle on it.
It's a game like Elite and Privateer where your 'character' is mainly your ship and you're free to trade stuff, smuggle stuff, fight pirates, and do missions to get more stuff so you can make your ship better so you can do more stuff. The game takes place in the distant future when space combat is entirely done via pirate ships.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

If this wasn't previously posted, there's a pretty decent video review here, which I found via a Steam review.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

wonderpug wrote:My first impression isn't as great as I thought it'd be. I could have used some more handholding to get into the swing of things before getting thrust into the wild. Combat is just super frenetic and confusing at this point.
Did you do the tutorials? I understand you get to them from the 2nd menu. Downloading now so I will check on where exactly they are.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Okay, I just fired it up and the tutorials are a bit easy to overlook. You have to first start a new game and then in-game when you hit escape, they're on the exit menu that pops up there. Hope that helps those looking for them.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I didn't know there were tutorials. I'm getting my butt handed to me in combat. Initial handholding might have been nice. Trying to find tutorials now.

EDIT: Those tutorials are just the help screens that pop up before you encounter something new. Not much help. Off to try again. Round 3...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I took the shield when offered it or a tractor beam. I then bought the tractor beam. That shield has come in very handy. Its saved me multiple times.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Baroquen wrote:EDIT: Those tutorials are just the help screens that pop up before you encounter something new.
Indeed so. I just found that out. I did find this article somewhat helpful though.
http://www.pcinvasion.com/rebel-galaxy- ... unslingers
Daehawk wrote:I took the shield when offered it or a tractor beam. I then bought the tractor beam.
I did exactly the same thing after checking the prices. They both cost the same. The tractor will pay for itself quickly enough I suspect.

Very cool and slick game so far. I love the graphics and music.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

How useful is the Flak (X button)? It just fires off to the side and explodes. Is this supposed to damage the fighters? It doesn;t seem to make much of a difference.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Scoop20906 wrote:How useful is the Flak (X button)? It just fires off to the side and explodes. Is this supposed to damage the fighters? It doesn;t seem to make much of a difference.
I was wondering this too. I thought I saw a video once saying it tore up fighters but like you it seems useless to me. Maybe you have to be really close?