Approaching Infinity

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

baelthazar

Approaching Infinity

Post by baelthazar »

I got an electronic missive from Shrapnel Games that they were opening up pre-orders on an upcoming space-exploration roguelike called Approaching Infinity. Since it had space, exploration, roguelike, procedurally generated, and randomized in the description, I had to pick up the demo.

It is an interesting game, a mix of a traditional "hack and slash" roguelike with a bit of space trading and exploring thrown in. It reminds me of something from the past, but I can't quite put my finger on what. At first, I thought the game was rather simplistic - jump down on a planet, kill things, pick up stuff, go home. But as I played a bit more I came upon a space temple, an artifact, and some interesting interactions I had not expected.

Here is the website, where you can get more info and the demo:http://www.gamersfront.com/store/approa ... inity.html

Like all Shrapnel Games, this one is likely overpriced for what it is. But, conversely, the developer is an indie developer who had modest success in a Kickstarter campaign and then managed to secure Shrapnel as his publisher, so I have a hard time not thinking of the price as being partially support for a neat idea and a fresh new face.

Do note, the graphics are certainly not the focus here (although they are not bad) and this game is clearly "retro" in its approach. Also note, you can reload when you die, but if your captain dies on an away team, then reloads are no longer an option (and your game is over).
Holman

Re: Approaching Infinity

Post by Holman »

Shrapnel still lets you pre-order "All American: The 82nd Airborne in Normandy" for fifty bucks.

I put in my order in June of 2000.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Holman wrote:Shrapnel still lets you pre-order "All American: The 82nd Airborne in Normandy" for fifty bucks.

So Shrapnel is ahead of it's time, introducing crowdsourcing before anyone else. All American just hasn't met it's goal yet, that's all.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Holman wrote:Shrapnel still lets you pre-order "All American: The 82nd Airborne in Normandy" for fifty bucks.

:shock:

I do think this one will release however. The demo seems pretty feature complete.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

In their defense, I've heard Windows Vista has a lot of problems.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Shrapnel has left such a bad taste in my mouth I don't know if I'll ever buy from them again.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
tgb

Post by tgb »

After playing around with the demo all I can say is .......$40? Seriously?

TPTB at Shrapnel must be really out of touch with what's been happening in the market the last couple of years. At least Matrix can make the argument that you can't find games like theirs in the mass market distributors. But games like this are a dime a dozen (almost literally) on Steam, and they don't look like they were written for the Atari 400.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

tgb wrote:After playing around with the demo all I can say is .......$40? Seriously?

TPTB at Shrapnel must be really out of touch with what's been happening in the market the last couple of years. At least Matrix can make the argument that you can't find games like theirs in the mass market distributors. But games like this are a dime a dozen (almost literally) on Steam, and they don't look like they were written for the Atari 400.
Yeah, I'm a bit mystified by the price myself. But Shrapnel has always been known for its poor pricing schemes (didn't it have some crappy graphics tank battle sim for some $90 once?). Not to mention the high cost of Dominions 2-3 when they were with Shrapnel. I wish this guy had tried to "go it alone" or use Steam Greenlight, but it is what it is.

That being said, play the demo some more, as the game gets increasingly complex. I do want to support interesting concepts and devs, but I'm not sure I can at that price. I'll probably forget all about it once Civ:BE releases!
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

With a mighty tug, one man has wrested back control from Shrapnel Games!

Now cheap and updated often. Seems like its heading in a tile-based, No Man's Sky direction. Perma-death can be turned off, but with it go the interesting, monetary achievements. For $11 its a no-brainer.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.