No Man's Sky

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Montag

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by Montag »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:53 am
Introducing The Abyss, a free new update for No Man's Sky. Featuring a reimagining of underwater gameplay focusing on some of the eerier elements of No Man’s Sky, and The Dreams of the Deep a dark story about a stranded freighter crew.

No Man's Sky Subnautica edition.
words
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nemo's Sea?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Picked this up for the Xbox one X. Pretty cool so far (just starting base on toxic planet, but no warp materials yet to get to a science worker.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Anyone playing this on the xBone? I seem to have missed the antimatter in the early quest, and can't find my way back to the location. Still enjoying it, but I need antimatter to warp to the science worker. Grr.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

No Man's Sky didn't click for me, but this fan video is delightful.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Is the underwater environment new with Beyond?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

According to the Internet (and apparently my own post earlier in this thread), the underwater stuff was added in October of 2018

naednek

Post by naednek »

it's amazing how cool this game looks, but when you actually play it, it's not fun
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

naednek wrote:it's amazing how cool this game looks, but when you actually play it, it's not fun
I have the same thought every time I fire it up. I think it's me, tho.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I try every year or so. I've yet to really have fun with it. The gameplay loop is about two hours. After that you just repeat.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Ditto. I don’t know how they could improve it without vastly increasing the scope of the game. I feel that the universe is beautiful but empty. No matter how different the various planets may appear to be at first glance, the feeling of sameness pervades, and there aren’t enough activities to keep my interest. I tried to get into base-building, but again, I failed to see the ultimate point. What they need are actual factions, with a robust story and quests, basically an open universe RPG, but that would require so much work.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Beyond update is out.

Patch notes (courtesy of RPS)
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:57 pm I try every year or so. I've yet to really have fun with it. The gameplay loop is about two hours. After that you just repeat.
And that's the problem. It's the space stage from SPORE. I have a ball getting there through cellular life and tribal and civ - and then I spend a couple hours doing everything there is to do in space and stop. Done. Once you've gotten a ship into space all that's left is landing so you can get back into space, maybe in a bigger ship that needs more stuff to cap itself out.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have 140 hours played so apparently I found something interesting in the game. I am not even sure what that something is. The endless search for the perfect ship. The base building. The endlessly repetitive missions. The funny thing is that I have considered posting in the the Rebel Galaxy Outlaw thread about how the endlessly repetitive missions aren't doing it for me. *shrug* I don't get me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:14 pm The Beyond update is out.

I thought this was going to be mainly about MP and VR, but instead, they've made a huge number of changes to the game, including a lot of QOL changes, and really reducing some of the annoyances and making the grinding much easier. They really have overhauled the game in many ways. The continuing work they are doing is amazing. They can't change the past, but they truly have changed the game - it now is truly the game we were hoping for in many ways. Props to their team.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Grifman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:23 am

I thought this was going to be mainly about MP and VR, but instead, they've made a huge number of changes to the game, including a lot of QOL changes, and really reducing some of the annoyances and making the grinding much easier. They really have overhauled the game in many ways. The continuing work they are doing is amazing. They can't change the past, but they truly have changed the game - it now is truly the game we were hoping for in many ways. Props to their team.
Dammit, I wanted to keep hating this game, but now I'll have to give it a try again :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I just started a fresh game this morning. I feel kind of weird that given a choice between playing Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and NMS, I'd apparently rather play NMS.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Grifman wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:23 am

I thought this was going to be mainly about MP and VR, but instead, they've made a huge number of changes to the game, including a lot of QOL changes, and really reducing some of the annoyances and making the grinding much easier.
I read through the patch notes, and I'm curious. What have they done to make grinding easier? The thing that really burned me out was 500 variations of 'stand on hill, shoot rock', over and over.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:20 pm I read through the patch notes, and I'm curious. What have they done to make grinding easier? The thing that really burned me out was 500 variations of 'stand on hill, shoot rock', over and over.
There are a bunch of things listed under Quality of Life that improve the efficiency of resource gathering. While the mechanics of manually harvesting resources haven't really changed, it does seem to be faster and less finicky than before, at least on normal difficulty with the vastly increased inventory capacity (10k resources per slot, instead of 250).

The patch notes also mention "large-scale mineral and gas extractor base parts" so presumably you can automate resource harvesting to some degree once you research the necessary tech.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah, the full patch notes were collapsed! I didn't notice that.

Badhawk! Bad! :oops:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I decided to take a break from Rebel Galaxy Outlaw and see what's new in No Man's Sky. I started a new game and have gotten through the initial base building. The harvesting doesn't seem meaningfully different, but sometimes you get a "bonus" item that gives you more materials. Rocks can give you a geode that is basically a cache of ferrous dust or whatever the basic rock material is. If the stack limits are improved that would be very nice. I haven't really noticed, but I also haven't run out of inventory space yet. Having to power the base teleporter will be obnoxious at least until I get solar and a battery in place... which means a lot of digging up technology bits. I think it was around 13 for solar + battery and then whatever materials they require to build.

I guess I don't care too much about the first planetary base so off to space I go... I mean as soon as I gather materials to make some launch fuel. I am starting to remember the parts of the game that annoyed me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:25 am I guess I don't care too much about the first planetary base so off to space I go... I mean as soon as I gather materials to make some launch fuel. I am starting to remember the parts of the game that annoyed me.
Apparently I wasn't the only one. I bought a new ship that has launch fuel regen. If you leave it alone long enough it fills up the launch fuel on its own.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I heard they took the tech out of your inventory slots which effectively made more inventory slots? I'm going to try to get to it today.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lorini wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:55 am I heard they took the tech out of your inventory slots which effectively made more inventory slots? I'm going to try to get to it today.
Sort of. You can freely move installed tech/modules around, including moving them from the main inventory to the tech inventory. The tech inventory slots were already there, now you can just move the default stuff from the main inventory to the tech inventory which will net you space initially, at least.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

This game has been on my wish list for quite sometime. Finally decided to pick it up earlier today, between the 50% sale, the big update, figured this would be a good time. The fact that I have been playing Astroneer quite a bit and would like something similar with a little more meat on the bone also contributed. Bought the game at 2:30 PM, requested a Refund at 3:00 PM. Game launches to the Hello Games splash screen then CTD. Spent about 30 minutes searching for a solution, apparently this is now a common problem with no official fix. Oh well, back to Astroneer.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You have current GPU drivers right? If not it’ll crash.
Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Just bought this yesterday and so far I am enjoying it. While I don't like it as much as Empyrion, which has much more realistic planets and unlimited building, the exploration aspect of the game has been fun so far. I can see why people wouldn't like it, but I love slow-paced sandbox games where I can take my time and explore everything, so it definitely scratches that itch.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Thanks for the suggestion Lorini, unfortunately (fortunately?) my drivers are all up to date. This appears to be a known issue since the last patch. Steam already refunded my purchase. Game looks interesting but I am not willing to spend a couple of hours trying to tweak a game to get it to work, particularly not one that should be mature.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Keybinding is still completely broke with the Beyond update, BUT the current beta fixes it in wonderful ways. Just plug in "3xperimental" code from the beta tab in STEAM.

Mods have also solved a few of the problems I had with the game. I now have 21.

Most are graphic improvements like Change Intro, Darker Nights, Analysis Visors, No Background Blur, No Flying Pollen, No Space Dust, No Space Plasma, No Space Lines, No Camera Shake, True Clouds, Slow Clouds, and HD Clouds.

But these reduce-the-grind:

Ship Teleporter --- with various distance options
Asteroid Fields --- sparser and better placement
Reduced Launch Cost --- 3 variations\
Exocraft Infinite Fuel
Double Stack Inventory Size --- doubles stack size
Terrain Manipulator MKII --- free to use, and double the range
Faster Word Learning --- 3 variations, knowledge stones give more words; 3, 5, or 10 words
Fast Actions --- 2 variations, time holding the mouse button to select shortened to about half a second, or no holding at all
Last edited by Dave Allen on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and I have zero mods and am still having a blast, just for the record.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I may have underestimated the value of the keybinding system.
Were there TEN pages before the update?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:47 pm ...and I have zero mods and am still having a blast, just for the record.
Same here. Glad I finally gave it a shot.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

So I basically "solved" money last night. The tools were all there it was just putting it all together. Previously, serious money making was done through farming and involved lots of running around adding fuel to things and combining things manually. Now it is almost completely passive. I walk away from my PC and come back in an hour and a have a stack that sells for ~7 million space-bucks. I need to build more storage so I can let it idle longer (like overnight) currently it fills up at around 10 million after about 90 minutes. Waking up to 50mm would be nice.

The only challenge was in setting it up. For the best bang, you need a planet that has Activated Indium. Planets with Activated Indium are generally in systems with no space station and have extreme weather. Then you need to use the new visor to find hot spots for both the indium and electromagnetic power within reasonable range of each other. I think you can figure out the rest. Running around looking for hotspots on an extreme planet can be challenging. Hot spots have ratings just like ships and multi-tools, but you hardly need S ratings to make bank. The higher ratings just mean fewer extractors required for the same flow of power or mineral. I think mine are both B. You really only need chromatic metal, ferrite dust and carbon to get things started and guess what activated indium refines into? Yeah, 1:2 into ferrite dust so your operation basically expands itself. It is better to make the chromatic metal from copper if you can get your hands on it since the indium is so valuable (~950 units each). In the end it doesn't matter because you will be rolling in units at least until this gets nerfed. Hell it's dangerous enough to set up that maybe it wont get nerfed.

Anyway, I just bought a 36+11 A class fighter this morning with pocket change. The only problem now is I need to find a new goal since cash is no longer it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:25 amAnyway, I just bought a 36+11 A class fighter this morning with pocket change. The only problem now is I need to find a new goal since cash is no longer it.
Have you tried flying to the center of the galaxy? I hear there's a big reward waiting there. Totally worth it. The best reward.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Paingod wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:29 am
coopasonic wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:25 amAnyway, I just bought a 36+11 A class fighter this morning with pocket change. The only problem now is I need to find a new goal since cash is no longer it.
Have you tried flying to the center of the galaxy? I hear there's a big reward waiting there. Totally worth it. The best reward.
I restarted with Beyond because I made "the jump" my last game which made the game somewhat less enjoyable for reasons that would probably be spoilers. I have been to the center of the galaxy twice. I am not sure I am interested in a third visit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:45 pm
It comes down to this: I can't wait to explore. I want to see what's on the next planet, warp to the next star system, live an exciting sci-fi adventure.

But first I need to spend three hours shooting rocks.
https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Game_mode#Creative_mode
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:48 am
It comes down to this: I can't wait to explore. I want to see what's on the next planet, warp to the next star system, live an exciting sci-fi adventure.

No challenge, no risk, no story. My complaint was repetitiveness (no idea how this is now), but the solution isn't god mode.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:54 am
Alefroth wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:48 am

No challenge, no risk, no story. My complaint was repetitiveness (no idea how this is now), but the solution isn't god mode.
Sorry, it looked like it checked all your wants, since it does have a story.