No Man's Sky

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ColdSteel

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by ColdSteel »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I'm also a bit disappointed that the patch doesn't seem to do anything changing the likelihood of finding a life-supporting planet.
Agreed. We'll have to wait and see if the dead moons, low atmosphere and extreme hazardous planets they added have life or not.

Also, I forgot to add Sean's note at the bottom, which is really interesting on its own.
I grew up reading Carmack’s .plan files for Quake, so it’s fun to be writing one of my own :)

Next up we’re adding the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters. Temporal AA and my new cloud rendering tech should be coming soon too. It will really change the game again, and enhance it visually.

This universe we’ve built is a pretty large canvas, we’ve got a lot of ideas. This is the type of game we want to be.
I like the upcoming addition of base building. Owning a giant freighter might be fun too, depending on how robust the new trading model is.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

rshetts2 wrote:OMG!!!! Delayed 6 days! Yay for first world problems. I get why it would bother some people but jeezus, its not the end of the world. I guess in my old age, Ive come to understand that release dates are very fluid and getting all nasty about it wont get the game to me any quicker. All it does is get my blood pressure up and a game aint worth that! Like CS said, its probably more a Sony marketing ploy than anything else, anyway. What I love is looking through all the forums and finding the people who are complaining about the content and how they will wait until the price drops and yet go ballistic about the release delay ( not saying that's happening here but I have seen it elsewhere ).
That wasn't the focus of my dismay. It's the overall total clusterf*ck this release has turned into the past 4 weeks.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

msduncan wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:OMG!!!! Delayed 6 days! Yay for first world problems. I get why it would bother some people but jeezus, its not the end of the world. I guess in my old age, Ive come to understand that release dates are very fluid and getting all nasty about it wont get the game to me any quicker. All it does is get my blood pressure up and a game aint worth that! Like CS said, its probably more a Sony marketing ploy than anything else, anyway. What I love is looking through all the forums and finding the people who are complaining about the content and how they will wait until the price drops and yet go ballistic about the release delay ( not saying that's happening here but I have seen it elsewhere ).
That wasn't the focus of my dismay. It's the overall total clusterf*ck this release has turned into the past 4 weeks.

Yeah I hear ya. My post wasnt aimed at you or anyone in particular really. Ive just seen some pretty crazy stuff about the delay including death threats to pretty much everyone involved in this project. Your post had actual merit and youre right, this has been kind of a clusterbomb of a release. Hopefully, its all worth it in the end.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

rshetts2 wrote:
msduncan wrote:

Yeah I hear ya. My post wasnt aimed at you or anyone in particular really. Ive just seen some pretty crazy stuff about the delay including death threats to pretty much everyone involved in this project. Your post had actual merit and youre right, this has been kind of a clusterbomb of a release. Hopefully, its all worth it in the end.
Oh yeah... that crap is crazy. I remember people being that nuts about game releases even in the 90s though so it's been around a while.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

On a side note -- their patch list refills my hope meter that the game will be good. Just the stuff they are adjusting, putting in, balancing, and promised features for the future sound compelling enough.

I'm a little disappointed about the barren planet ratio. I think they could have reduced it to 2 in 10 planets and still had enough life to keep people interested but still make it seem special.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

You don't have to have life on a planet to make it interesting. How about dead civilizations, alen artifacts, special minerals/elements, crashed derelicts, stranded ships/crews needing rescue, etc.? Lots that could be done here with a little creativity.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

People playing the game have said that life was showing up on planets labeled as "Fauna: Absent". So, I'm pretty sure that's a bug and unintended. I would guess it'll be fixed in the day one patch. From what I saw in some of the IGN videos they did a while back, there are some alien artifacts you can find on planets. The guy playing found a monolith with alien language on it and he was trying to translate it.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Buatha wrote:For me, I'd like to mix this engine with something like a Fallout NV sense of contained stories. For example, it'd be nice to fly through space and find an abandoned ship/station to learn what happened to the inhabitants through exploration of the location. Or, visit a lost colony that tells you how they arrived, but now you need to find them some equipment to aid them.
Yeah, I mentioned this way back when, but I get the feeling they wanted to let the auto-generator handle things. I'm all for emergent gameplay, but I hope their A.I. and such for the other races is up to snuff.

I'm torn. I know I should wait and let the reviews be written, the bugs squashed, and content (maybe) being added...but I likes me some space exploration and this looks like a grand experiment.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

If you go PC then you'll get three days of reviews/let's plays before the PC version releases.
Black Lives Matter
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Given its scope and size of developer team, I was more or less expecting the release to be a fustercluck. As such, none of this is really fazing me. Either the devs will patch it into shape, or it will be a notorious failure (even mediocrity would be a seen as a failure by many, I believe). Either way, these guys went all in, and have already created something remarkable that will, at the very least, influence game creation for years to come. That's good enough for full price.
Last edited by Suitably Ironic Moniker on Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:Given its scope and size of developer team, I was more or less expecting the release to be a fustercluck. As such, none of this is really fazing me. Either the revs will patch it into shape, or it will be a notorious failure (Even mediocrity would be a seen as a failure by many, I believe. Either way, these guys went all in, and have already created something remarkable that will, at the very least, influence game creation for years to come. That's good enough for full price.
I agree. The influence over coming games will be enough to pay dividends to our gaming thirst for years.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Okay, call it, msduncan!

Should I go Day One? Be my Atlas.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sean Murray streamed a bit of NMS gameplay earlier today.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Lee

Post by Lee »

Max Peck wrote:Sean Murray streamed a bit of NMS gameplay earlier today.
They must be new to the Internet. They have a conversation about how cool it is people naming systems. The art guy says "Planet Poo". Sean's answer is something along the lines of "hopefully people come up with better names".
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ColdSteel wrote:People playing the game have said that life was showing up on planets labeled as "Fauna: Absent". So, I'm pretty sure that's a bug and unintended. I would guess it'll be fixed in the day one patch. From what I saw in some of the IGN videos they did a while back, there are some alien artifacts you can find on planets. The guy playing found a monolith with alien language on it and he was trying to translate it.
Fauna = animals
Flora = plants
Either = life

So you can have a planet without fauna but have life (flora). I saw this exact same thing in a twitch stream today. No bug.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

:D. Yeah, I see that getting out of hand fast.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Buatha wrote:Okay, call it, msduncan!

Should I go Day One? Be my Atlas.
Do it. Sounds like a game that lets you fly off into the galaxy and discover crazy weird planets. I like that idea.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Lee wrote:
They must be new to the Internet. They have a conversation about how cool it is people naming systems. The art guy says "Planet Poo". Sean's answer is something along the lines of "hopefully people come up with better names".
About 32 minutes in (when he's talking about how the loading screen is actually a live fly-by through the galaxy), he does say that they need to moderate the system names, based on what he's been seeing pop up earlier in the day ("Well, slightly worse than Poopland.")

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Maybe because I'm getting to be a grumpy old man, but I find myself annoyed at folks who want to include what I call a "vanity window" in their stream. Fine, we know what you look like after a few seconds, we don't need part of the screen real estate taken up with looking at you for an hour.

Also I've started a drinking game, taking a hit every time someone in the video uses "like" inappropriately.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

From Kokatu, Two Hours With No Man's Sky: A Diary
Yesterday morning, I downloaded the day-one patch for No Man’s Sky, a video game in which players explore the universe and try to solve mysteries, such as why the UI looks so much like Destiny’s. I had wiped my old save-file, so with the patch I was starting fresh.

This was an opportunity to begin anew, to explore the galaxy, to shoot down alien spaceships and steal minerals from every planet I could find. Here’s a diary of my first two hours with the game:
He liked it a lot and it sounds like fun, at least at first.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Seem like the game is a failure. With 311 user ratings, the game (PS4 version) so far got 4.3 user score on metacritic.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Victoria Raverna wrote:Seem like the game is a failure. With 311 user ratings, the game (PS4 version) so far got 4.3 user score on metacritic.
I'd say that's extremely suspect since review copies and the day one PS4 patch didn't go out until yesterday. Not that metacrtic is worth a crap anyway. I will wait for some actual PS4 user impressions now that it's out (today). We'll all know soon enough.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Regarding Metacritic, I just saw this on Reddit. It figures that 4chan is involved.
PSA: Ignore Metacritics
(self.NoMansSkyTheGame)

submitted a minute ago by svensonic1

The site is currently being spammed by people of 4chan with negative reviews on the ps4 edition of the game.
Mostly all negative reviews on it at the moment are negative reviews by trollers of 4chan.
Edit: Also, there apparently are indeed planets with no life. I saw this in the Polygon first impressions:
I’ve only explored a handful of planets so far, but they’ve all been interesting too — varied and fun to explore even without the hand-crafted feel that I usually prefer in level design. One planet had a constant toxic rain and no alien life but was full of monoliths that taught me words in alien languages.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Victoria Raverna wrote:Seem like the game is a failure. With 311 user ratings, the game (PS4 version) so far got 4.3 user score on metacritic.
The point below doesn't bare this out.

What is going to be disappointing is people want to have their opinion and viewpoint justified whether it is correct or not.

It seems like a very British trait at present, it's crap, we hope it's crap and we need it to be crap because we said it would be so lets make sure it is regardless.

We do it with our sports teams all the time, as well as anyone successful or achieving well. We have to knock them down as quickly as possible.

Really it's just a game, some will like it, some will not individually we can decide and choose to buy it or not but letting people influence our own opinions so simply (eg a number on a website) rather thna deciding ourselves does show how far we have not come.

Reading the forums and topics on this game over the last few weeks has been a little saddening and pathetic with the near drive for it to fail rather than the hope it will be a great game, cynics everywhere these days.

I haven't pre ordered yet and am looking at the PC version but I am hoping it will be my cup of tea (it seems it will be).
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Its on the internet, it must be true!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

rshetts2 wrote:

Its on the internet, it must be true!
It doesn't need to be true. That was why I use the words "Seem like".

It is possible 4chan is involved. It is also possible the game isn't that good. :)
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

The IGN preliminary impressions make me a little disappointed. It sounds a lot like NMS is a 3D Starbound - which is not a bad thing per se but not as innovative as one would hope. I don't like what he said about having to reload your gun via the inventory window, that just seems silly.

I will have my PS4 copy later today, so hopefully I will get time to play it and come back with impressions.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/8/ ... w-10-hours

I found the read ok but the comments a lot clearer on what people actually playing were finding out.

A nice easy bit of survival that gives a reason to collect stuff along with some great exploration.

This is definitely what I was looking for and will be ordering tonight.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

It does sound like its going to be what I was looking for. Im not looking for an A list twitch finger shooter or an incredible space flight sim. I wasnt expecting a robust RPG. I was looking for a game that had elements of these things and focused on exploration and trade across a grand universe filled with planets named after peoples naughty bits. Well, maybe not the last part but with classic internet naming conventions, its inevitable. I wonder how many Planety McPlanetfaces Ill run into? That will be like a mini game! Honestly, I want a game that runs at my pace and I can spend time just checking stuff out. My high intensity shooter days are long gone, along with a lot of my manual dexterity. This game may not be for everyone but it sounds like is a game Ill like. Ill know for sure sometime after Aug. 12th.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There's fine line between exploration that requires some survival (harvesting, crafting) elements and a game focused on survival that invariably involves exploring to find crafting components. I hope it's more of the first.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I’ve watched quite a few early impressions videos. It seems perfectly “alright” but quite unremarkable. The comment above about it being a 3D Starbound seems pretty accurate except Starbound might do it a bit better. The cooler features of NMS just don't seem to be that well fleshed out.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

rshetts2 wrote:It does sound like its going to be what I was looking for. Im not looking for an A list twitch finger shooter or an incredible space flight sim. I wasnt expecting a robust RPG. I was looking for a game that had elements of these things and focused on exploration and trade across a grand universe filled with planets named after peoples naughty bits. Well, maybe not the last part but with classic internet naming conventions, its inevitable. I wonder how many Planety McPlanetfaces Ill run into? That will be like a mini game! Honestly, I want a game that runs at my pace and I can spend time just checking stuff out. My high intensity shooter days are long gone, along with a lot of my manual dexterity. This game may not be for everyone but it sounds like is a game Ill like. Ill know for sure sometime after Aug. 12th.

What you said, except the H.I. shooter days - that only lasted about one month for me.
:clap:
AKA: Dajjer
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

For the still curious, Graham Stark (LoadingReadyRun) has a (PS4) launch day stream up on Twitch.

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

My pre-order just delivered. Its now time to get my TV/PS4 hooked back up so I can patch/play tonight.

(New carpeting went in today. Installers just left)

EDIT: Houston, we have a problem.. Looks like we have to finish replacing the broken trim before I can put the man cave media center back together.. Doh! Oh well; at least my office is already re-assembled.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Max Peck wrote:For the still curious, Graham Stark (LoadingReadyRun) has a (PS4) launch day stream up on Twitch.
Looks like Subnautica....IN SPACE!!!!!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I guess I'd be concerned that this would be more like Elite: Dangerous to me. It was fun for awhile, but got old as it turned into lots of lather, rinse, repeat. I think that's partly age related, as I find that I get bored more quickly with a game that doesn't seem to be building up to something.

I'll be away from my PC for two weeks starting before release day, so I'll be waiting and reading impressions here. I'd be interested in seeing how much longevity the game has. For a $60 USD game I'm hoping for at least that many hours before I get bored with it.

By the way, I didn't see it for sale on Green Man Gaming. That might have swayed me a bit, getting a discount.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

jztemple2 wrote:By the way, I didn't see it for sale on Green Man Gaming. That might have swayed me a bit, getting a discount.
In theory you should be able to get it for $48 as an Amazon Prime member...once they allow you to purchase it.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Are they doing a physical PC release that qualifies for the prime discount? If so and the PC version is good, I'll probably grab that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's an excellent question. Maybe that's why it's not showing up on Amazon for order. Maybe it's only available for PC via STEAM?