No Man's Sky

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: No Man's Sky

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I enjoyed it for a solid 20+ hours so I can't really complain. It's definitely not a $50+ game though. I too hope there are updates, changes and tweaks. However, once I started looking at the game like it was an inventory simulator with arbitrary stacking rules that pushed you to get more inventory space to reach deeper portions of the game, it really did take a hit in terms of being fun.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, I enjoyed it for a solid 20+ hours so I can't really complain. It's definitely not a $50+ game though. I too hope there are updates, changes and tweaks. However, once I started looking at the game like it was an inventory simulator with arbitrary stacking rules that pushed you to get more inventory space to reach deeper portions of the game, it really did take a hit in terms of being fun.
I have an inventory simulator called a "den" which in actuality is more of a generous walk in closet where I have to manage the storage of all my board games.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

$iljanus wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, I enjoyed it for a solid 20+ hours so I can't really complain. It's definitely not a $50+ game though. I too hope there are updates, changes and tweaks. However, once I started looking at the game like it was an inventory simulator with arbitrary stacking rules that pushed you to get more inventory space to reach deeper portions of the game, it really did take a hit in terms of being fun.
I have an inventory simulator called a "den" which in actuality is more of a generous walk in closet where I have to manage the storage of all my board games.
But do you have forum members writing up excellent inventory manager strategy guides for your "den"?
Brian

Post by Brian »

Cracked: 'No Man's Sky' is fit for philosophy classes and absolutely nothing else.

Why No Man's Sky Reminds Us Of Our Existential Nightmare
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

GreenGoo wrote:
$iljanus wrote:
But do you have forum members writing up excellent inventory manager strategy guides for your "den"?
Who knows what the future will bring. As more kickstarted board games start arriving in the future I might have to ask for some strategy guides from forum members. I think they will be up to the task!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Saw a story on Tweaktown that says Sony blames Hello Games for choosing the $60 price of the game not them.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote:Saw a story on Tweaktown that says Sony blames Hello Games for choosing the $60 price of the game not them.
Probably because Hello signed a contract saying "I agree to let Sony dictate pricing" and if they never signed it, this would have been avoided.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:D Scorpion blames frog for both of them drowning in river.
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Okay, all done. I got to the center and then to the next galaxy(?). And my ship is just about fully repaired and ready to go whenever Hello Games gets its act together and breaks out the DLC.

Overall, a fun but grindy game that had a ton of missed opportunities.

Some where around 106,000 light years from the galactic center I started taking notes on how far each jump was from the center. It took me about 50 jumps to get to the center. Each jump utilized both the pathway and any black holes found on that pathway. However, each black hole jump resulted in the need for some kind of ship repair, so there were many pit stops along the way.

I don't really follow the game press so I had no expectations for this game other than you would be flying around a huge galaxy. So for me, my main disappointments with the game were developed as I played. Far too little diversity in planets. Far too early in game play you will max out your equipment. And of course no map. And the limited inventory scheme was a throw back to old timey gaming. Still it was fun to fly around the various planetary landscapes and explore. Overall I liked this game in spite of the quibbles I had with it.

BTW, if you are going to make the trek to the center, here is what accelerated my trip. Take the galactic pathway, after you get to the end of the path, switch to free form and then zoom in towards the center until you find a useable black hole. If you zoom in too deep you will get a warning to upgrade your warp drive (my warp drive was upgraded) I was getting about 200 light years on the path way and around another 1500 light years via the black hole.

NOTE: in all my game time (260 hours), there was only one planet I came across that was discovered by another gamer. It was when I was 46027 light years from the galactic center. When I was 796 light years from the center (my last jump in the Euclid galaxy) , there were no planets discovered by another gamer. I landed on a planet close to the center and staked my claim, then I said adios.

Now, I can get back full time to Deus Ex.
AKA: Dajjer
Frnk55

Post by Frnk55 »

U really think there will be dlc? Even if the game patches up and gets better I can't see people wanting to give their money to them. I suppose the very few.. :?
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Frnk55 wrote:U really think there will be dlc? Even if the game patches up and gets better I can't see people wanting to give their money to them. I suppose the very few.. :?
Yea, I do. But I see it as a free DLC. They need to show the gaming community they at least care. After this PR fiasco, charging for an upcoming DLC, would basically be a great big FU to all and then they might as well close shop and start a new career.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/11/deve ... -update-2/
FOUNDATION UPDATE INCOMING

Hello Games | November 25, 2016
Hello,
This week Hello Games will be releasing an update to No Man’s Sky. We’re calling it The Foundation Update, because we have added the foundations of base building, and also because this is putting in place a foundation for things to come.
Detailed patch notes will follow, and release will be soon.
Coming from five years of intense development, immediately after No Man’s Sky released the team spent six weeks updating the game with 7 patches across both platforms (the last of these was 1.09 on Sept 24th which you can read about here). These fixed many of the most common or critical bugs and issues post-release.
In the nine weeks since then our small team has been hard at work on development, testing and certification for the Foundation Update. It won’t be our biggest update, but it is the start of something.
The discussion around No Man’s Sky since release has been intense and dramatic. We have been quiet, but we are listening and focusing on improving the game that our team loves and feels so passionately about.
Positive or negative feedback, you have been heard and that will truly help to make this a better game for everyone.
This update will be the first small step in a longer journey. We hope you can join us.
Thank you,
Hello Games
Base building? Not sure how this will improve the experience but I will check it out.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

In in, I got a lot of hours invested in this game.

Kinda curious how any type of base building could be involved in this game when the object is to be continually moving to the center of the galaxy and rebuilding your ship.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I always felt the game was kind of self-directed in terms of goals. I was following the Atlas path, but I was really spending a lot of time exploring and improving my ship and enjoying some of the sights. If they provide enough tools to allow for a real crafting experience, I'd actually be more likely to reinstall and check it out.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I've never felt the need to stick around on a planet. Maybe this will make that more interesting. Of course if they don't address the inventory system it is all for naught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Details are out. They do address inventory to an extent. On my phone and too lazy to find the link. Isg?
Scoop20906

No Man's Sky

Post by Scoop20906 »

Thanks Zaxxon.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.polygon. ... ersion-1-1

It is only out of PS4 right now.

It addresses more than I thought it would. Still not sure what to make of it.

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Ah, the PC update just dropped. Ok, downloading No Man's Sky again.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Let us know. I'd love to go back, if there's, you know, a game there this time.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Started the game and I've been staring at this for 10 minutes...

Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Ok. Figured it out. I tried survival mode. Guess that is not working. Trying creative mode and it started right up.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

It is $19.99 on Amazon right now for PS4. I am tempted to rebuy at that price. But I have so many other games and do not really need another walking sim.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Ok. Creative mode means that they turned off the requirement costs for everything. Normal mode means the regular requirement costs and survival mode must me higher difficultly/requirement costs but I can't tell because it won't start past 'initialise'. It's broke right now.

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Scoop20906 wrote:Thanks Zaxxon.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.polygon. ... ersion-1-1

It is only out of PS4 right now.

It addresses more than I thought it would. Still not sure what to make of it.

Follow the link in the article above to the No Man's Sky website. There's a lot more detail there. They changed some things about planet generation which should be for the better, among other things.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This makes me happy. I've been going back and forth on getting this one after all of the criticism, although it is the kind of game I usually love. I'll likely see about getting it during the Christmas sale.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I've only been to one planet so far but does seem to be slightly different. It's more a combination of different things than a one trick pony as it was before.

The millions of repetitive bases are gone replaced by a lot fewer and just the artifacts. The bonus to this is you can build your own home base with a lot of the stuff you had to hunt for before. That feels like an improvement. Building bases is very similar to fallout. You snap stuff together or drop them down.

This doesn't improve exploration however but I get the sense you may get this in a future update.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Scoop20906 wrote:Image

You need to press and hold down the E key.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Lorini wrote: You need to press and hold down the E key.
This. Strangest way to start a game I've seen in a long while.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Lorini wrote:
Scoop20906 wrote:Image

You need to press and hold down the E key.
LOL. Thats just great. Thanks Lorini.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Out of curiosity, how does the flying portion of the game handle a joystick? I know it is likely optimized for mouse and keyboard, but there is something immersively thematic about flying a ship with a stick.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Played this morning for an hour. I love the changes and landing on freighters. Base building is good but not just anywhere, have to find a habital structure first.

Will be putting more time into this again!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I've read reports that planet generation is much improved also.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I managed to avoid this one completely, never pre-ordered or got caught up in the hype (all of my "Space Game Monies" are tied up in the poor investment I made with Star Citizen :? ). The demo videos they showed just looked too ... samey and it raised big red flags. I'm glad they're working to tune it better and generate more variety. I might buy into it when the game is done, but probably not before then.

With the game being "about" going to the middle of the galaxy, what purpose does base building serve? It sounds to me like they should be adding content for space battles and drama to play through on your way there, not content to prevent you from ever getting there.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Paingod wrote:I managed to avoid this one completely, never pre-ordered or got caught up in the hype (all of my "Space Game Monies" are tied up in the poor investment I made with Star Citizen :? ). The demo videos they showed just looked too ... samey and it raised big red flags. I'm glad they're working to tune it better and generate more variety. I might buy into it when the game is done, but probably not before then.

With the game being "about" going to the middle of the galaxy, what purpose does base building serve? It sounds to me like they should be adding content for space battles and drama to play through on your way there, not content to prevent you from ever getting there.
The links above to the update tell you all you want to know how base building fits into the game :)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/huge-n ... 0-6445743/
Last edited by Grifman on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I just read that you may be getting a vehicle in NMS, which would be a pretty cool addition.
morlac

Post by morlac »

That's a pretty significant patch! I'm looking forward to trying it. If they can add a little more "flavor" to the space combat, maybe make protecting/pirating these new freighters a thing I think I would really be thrilled with my first full price game purchase in years. Yes, I succumbed to hype for the first time I can remember. Although I have enjoyed 10-15 hours of play I stopped due to how much potential went unrealized. This appears to be step in the right direction. Kudos to the Devs!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Nice patch but there is still work to do. They really overcompensated when the diminished the availability of plutonium. It was very common before and I dont mind that they made changes but damn, it's almost non existant now. It wouldnt be a big issue if you didnt need it every time you lift off from a planet. Thats something they are going to need to rebalance.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

rshetts2 wrote:Nice patch but there is still work to do. They really overcompensated when the diminished the availability of plutonium. It was very common before and I dont mind that they made changes but damn, it's almost non existant now. It wouldnt be a big issue if you didnt need it every time you lift off from a planet. Thats something they are going to need to rebalance.
It's more rare than it was, but it's still common enough to be around almost any landing site in my experience so far. About the same as Thamium. You might have to hike a little to get it, but it's usually there.

Puttered around in it a little last night, found a nice planet with an abandoned base to set up, and got a few rooms and a construction assistant setup. Seems interesting, but they totally took the building mechanics they're using from Subnautica... which isn't a bad thing necessarily as it works rather well. You can also buy freighters by landing on them and talking to the admiral on the bridge. So far I've seen a few different designs and they all cost around 7 million.

They also revamped combat quite a bit... there's a lot more help information that pops up about the battles and what you need to do and it feels pretty good.

On the whole it adds up to a lot of little changes with a few larger exceptions. It should be enough to get me exploring again for a while, but probably still not enough to offer for anyone that thought the game was hopelessly boring on release.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

ASA says Hello Games did not mislead buyers.

It seemed odd to me that the ASA were apparently so heavily influenced by video footage provided by Hello Games. Not that they've got time to actually play a procedurally generated game for endless hours. Anyway, it's an interesting read.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd