The Talos Principle

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: The Talos Principle

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote:Wow, cool on that spoiler.
Cool in concept. In practice it effectively limits completing the bonus content to a small subset of the audience - programmers only past this point!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I agree. I happen to be the target audience, hence my approval. It does suck for completionists who are not CS-savvy.

FWIW, the Easter eggs and stars I've gotten so far have been pretty reasonable.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote:I agree. I happen to be the target audience, hence my approval. It does suck for completionists who are not CS-savvy.
I'm so not CS-savvy that I don't even know what CS stands for! :shock:
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I definitely didn't go through the process of that spoiler and I found all the stars in the game...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I started playing this after picking it up during the Winter Sale and having great fun with it. It makes me a bit motion sick as well - I think due to the really high speed with which you can move around. However, these types of games are things I typically only play in short bursts anyway, so it's not a big problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Lordnine wrote:I definitely didn't go through the process of that spoiler and I found all the stars in the game...
Spoiler:
There is a place, shortly after the tutorial, where there is a fountain, around which are 24 pillars numbered I through XXIV. Each has a button. Two of those buttons must be pressed in the correct order. Press them in the correct order and the water drains, after which a stairwell leading down to the star appears. The only hint is through the process in the spoiler.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote:I started playing this after picking it up during the Winter Sale and having great fun with it. It makes me a bit motion sick as well - I think due to the really high speed with which you can move around. However, these types of games are things I typically only play in short bursts anyway, so it's not a big problem.
If you go into the Motion Sickness options, you can adjust player movement speed.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Lordnine wrote:
Moliere wrote:I can usually do 2 puzzles in a row before I need a break to recover from the motion sickness.
Have you tried adjusting the settings? The options menu lets you adjust pretty much everything. Remove head bob, increase FOV(it’s vertical FOV by the way, not horizontal) turn off motion blur and decrease the brightness and see if that fixes your problem.
Yes. I run it in the over the shoulder 3rd person to minimize the motion sickness.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Moliere wrote:
Lordnine wrote:
Moliere wrote:I can usually do 2 puzzles in a row before I need a break to recover from the motion sickness.
Have you tried adjusting the settings? The options menu lets you adjust pretty much everything. Remove head bob, increase FOV(it’s vertical FOV by the way, not horizontal) turn off motion blur and decrease the brightness and see if that fixes your problem.
Yes. I run it in the over the shoulder 3rd person to minimize the motion sickness.
My wife has the same issue. She's always a little more sensitive to motion sickness in games, but there's definitely something with Talos Principle that makes it worse than usual.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It doesn't usually bother me - I play shooters all the time - but on rare occasions something triggers it. I could never finish Amnesia because of it.

Thanks for the player speed tip, I'll try that tonight.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Blackhawk wrote:
Lordnine wrote:I definitely didn't go through the process of that spoiler and I found all the stars in the game...
Spoiler:
There is a place, shortly after the tutorial, where there is a fountain, around which are 24 pillars numbered I through XXIV. Each has a button. Two of those buttons must be pressed in the correct order. Press them in the correct order and the water drains, after which a stairwell leading down to the star appears. The only hint is through the process in the spoiler.
Hah! I DO remember that puzzle. I guess I just brute forced my way through it. I vaguely remember a song cord played after every successful button press, so I just ran back and forth until I had memorized the sequence.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Finished the first two endings, and without any walkthrough peeking, I'm pleased to say. Now to collect all the stars... FWIW, it took me 28 hours.
Spoiler:
The first two endings played out pretty much how I expected, so I'm curious to see what the third holds.
Fantastic game. Thanks again, Hawk.

Lordnine, did you enjoy Gehanna as much as the base game?
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Zaxxon wrote:
Lordnine, did you enjoy Gehanna as much as the base game?
The puzzles in Gehenna are as good if not better. I did think the other elements were a slight step down though. It’s a less “human” story and more about the overall philosophy. I still think it’s worth a look though if you enjoyed the base game.

As for your finished game, did you get the
Spoiler:
Cat ending? It’s nothing major but I was amused that it’s possible to have the cat in your final cut scene if you found it in the game. I didn’t but found out about it later.
I’ll also say that the third ending, while a cool concept, should not be pursued as the "best" or "true" ending just because it's the hardest to achieve.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nope, didn't get that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I got the first (obvious, easiest) ending, and am headed up the tower to challenge Elohim to an epic duel with flaming swords. At least I assume that's what I'll be doing when I get up there.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, I finished the first two endings. I was very happy with the second (tower) ending. It was a great ending to a really good story. I did like that you had to work for the story - if you just ran around and ignored all of the monitors, didn't put any thought into the implications of what was presented there, and just solved puzzles, you'd have no clue as to what was going on. It is the same thing that made Morrowind's story so good compared to Oblivion and Skyrim.

The only thing I used a guide for were a few of the tetromino puzzles (the sigil arranging.) I gave them a solid try each time, but if it started to get frustrating, I'd open the Steam guide. I didn't think they were a very good fit (too much random trial-and-error instead of the directed experimentation that the main puzzles relied on.)

I think I'm done, though. I don't think I'll spend the time for the rest of the stars, although I'm tempted.

This was a very good game. If you liked the gameplay of Portal, play this game.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Now that people are finishing, I’m going to link this.

Heavy Spoiler Warning
Complete Collected Time Capsules of Alexandra Drennan

These were one of my favorite elements of the game and listening to them all, one after another, is quite moving. The voice actor did an amazing job. Definitely worth a listen even if you have no intention of playing the game and just want to know what it was all about as well.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yes. I'm still missing a few so I haven't listened to the set in order yet, but they're very well done.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Got all the time capsules, all the stars in Worlds A and B, and the first two trifecta of gray tetrominos. I've used a guide liberally for the stars, as I don't think I'd have much fun re-combing every level on my own. I wound up with 8 stars on my own. Onward to the final 8 I'm missing in World C!

I have to say, some of the star solutions are pretty neat. While I'm using a guide, I don't feel that any of them (with maybe one exception) have been unfair. Another thing I just realized yesterday (not sure how it took me till then)...
Spoiler:
Remember that puzzle we discussed that involved translating hexadecimal to ASCII? Well much of the seeming gibberish in the terminals is actually hexed-out ASCII, and can be translated the same way.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

All stars and endings are mine! Now to try to hold out for a sale on the expansion...
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

This game is kicking my ass. :D
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

75% off as part of the Lunar New Year sale. (Gehenna is 66% off, as well.)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote:All stars and endings are mine! Now to try to hold out for a sale on the expansion...
Zaxxon wrote:75% off as part of the Lunar New Year sale. (Gehenna is 66% off, as well.)
That didn't take long.

Expansion complete (basic ending). Now to get the rest of the stars and get to the 'real' ones.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Started playing this week and the puzzles and gameplay are exceeding my (already raised) expectations.

I got enough sigils to advance to world B but turned around in an attempt to finish everything on world A first. Not sure why ... completist syndrome? Some of the reds, though have me stumped, I'll admit. Also don't understand the grey sigil spaces yet, but I'm sure the nickel will drop at some point.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Glad you're enjoying it. You ain't seen nothing yet.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Yay?

I definitely get the Portal comparisons. Anyone else getting a Riven vibe?
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Took a complete session to figure out B4 Green self-help; felt like an idiot.
Took a day-and-a-half to figure out B5 star; felt like a genius*

JB - Jethro Bodine
BJ - Boy Jenius
PLW

Post by PLW »

$7.20 today on Gamersgate.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Buy this game. That is all.
PLW

Post by PLW »

Zaxxon wrote:Buy this game. That is all.
I did!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'll third that. This thing was great. I really should clear some room on my schedule to play the DLC I've owned forever now.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

In case anyone hasn't played this yet, it's 8.99 on Steam today.

It's an excellent puzzle game with a thought provoking backstory.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:57 am Buy this game. That is all.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Chaz wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:39 pm I'll third that. This thing was great. I really should clear some room on my schedule to play the DLC I've owned forever now.
The DLC was good but didn't grab me quite the same way the base game did. The puzzles were great but the overall storytelling and atmosphere was a step down.

The base game is an absolute recommendation for anyone with even a passing interest in puzzle games.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just discovered this game yesterday on xbox gamepass for PC (apparently it is on Switch now too). I've only played a couple hours, but it is a pretty awesome puzzle game. I wonder why nobody ever brought it up or had anything good to say about it...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:45 pm Just discovered this game yesterday on xbox gamepass for PC (apparently it is on Switch now too). I've only played a couple hours, but it is a pretty awesome puzzle game. I wonder why nobody ever brought it up or had anything good to say about it...
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and finished. I did not go for all the stars. I got all of the sigils, apparently did not get all of the texts or time capsules. I failed to figure out one puzzle and the in-game hint did not help me. When I looked up the solution I was disappointed in myself. It was called Deception and it worked.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

coopasonic wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:34 am ...and finished. I did not go for all the stars. I got all of the sigils, apparently did not get all of the texts or time capsules. I failed to figure out one puzzle and the in-game hint did not help me. When I looked up the solution I was disappointed in myself. It was called Deception and it worked.
I thought the writing and voice acting in the Time Capsules was excellent. If you have 17 minutes it's worth listening to here in order to hear the whole thing. Spoilers of course for anyone who has not played.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

We had Portal, then we had Talos Principle... then we had crickets. Have I missed a game somewhere? How could we have gone so long without more great games of this ilk? Somebody is going to say The Witness, but no.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sawyer wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:02 am We had Portal, then we had Talos Principle... then we had crickets. Have I missed a game somewhere? How could we have gone so long without more great games of this ilk? Somebody is going to say The Witness, but no.
Before this becomes answerable, I'd kinda want to know why The Witness didn't qualify.