Dying Light?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Dying Light?

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Haven't played in months now. I keep it installed hoping Ill get back to it.
Ditto.
.And...I'm back at it.

Started a new game because it had been so long and I am rusty. I was only on the bridge gathering light bulbs according to my previous save, so I don't think I was too far along.

Anyway, TheMix, you need to check this game out. After umpteen hours playing Dead Island (which is a good to great game, as you know) Dying Light puts it to shame.

Very cool.

Not quite ready to go out at night though. Thank goodness the zombies start out few, slow, unaware and only vaguely interested in you. That changes as the game progresses.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:o ... Dying Light Developer Techland announces 10 (TEN!!!) free content packs (actually, it's 11 .. ELEVEN !!!) for a game released in 2015
Techland announces plans to support Dying Light with the release of no fewer than 10 free DLC packs a span of 12 months that will begin later this year. There is actually an 11th free pack in the plan, but this will come before the clock starts on this one-year plan. As they explain it, "The first new content for Dying Light - labelled Content Drop #0 - will launch for free in the coming weeks with the focus on new enemies. This Drop #0 is a taste of the new things coming to the game, before the '10 free DLCs in 12 months' campaign fully launches later this year." Here is further word from the developer on the plan:
Almost three years after the original Dying Light was released, about half a million people still play the game every week. In the very first months on the market in 2015, the weekly numbers were around 700 000. This shows that our community is still huge, active, and craving for more. Not a single day passes without requests for new weapons, outfits, and quests. In the face of such enthusiasm and engagement, we cannot keep quiet. Today I’m happy to announce Techland’s continuous support for Dying Light.

Original content is already in the works and our fans can expect to face new challenging enemies, master new gameplay mechanics, solve more Harran mysteries, and even explore never-seen-before locations. This translates to ten pieces of DLC in the first twelve months of our continuous support - available free for all players, across all platforms.

Continuous support means also more updates, gameplay tweaks, and community events. As we firmly believe in active collaboration between the design team and players, we hope this announcement will encourage our fans to share their thoughts, stories, and ideas about how we can improve their experience even more.

As always we are all ears,
Paweł Marchewka,
Techland CEO

spotted @Blues
Ain't nobody got time for that
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I loved it until I noticed how quickly everything breaks. Ill not return until they change that. Loved the game until then. Having a steel knife break after hitting a wooden board with it twice is SO wrong.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Weapons are found and crafted fast enough and the game design is to not get too attached to any particular weapon that the weapon degradation is not a big deal to me. That you can repair a weapon a number of times as well as take skills that decrease the chance of durability loss during repair that with a little luck your favourite electro-stick can last a long time.

That said playing Dead Island put me in the right head space for degrading weaponry.

Obviously personal preference is what it is, I'm just saying that it's a great game and that with a little headspace adjustment you might find you enjoy it again.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hopefully it will hit an acceptable sale price next week.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

TheMix wrote:Hopefully it will hit an acceptable sale price next week.
That was my thought too.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Well, I pulled the trigger on this a day or two ago. I'm enjoying the game; I started it last night after the kids went to bed, just to try it out, and then ended up playing it for about 2 hours or more.

Degrading weapons is annoying, but I can live with it. I love going out and scavenging, and I enjoy how there's a definite focus on the stealth path of avoiding combat. Jumping and taking to the rooftops is fun IMO.

I had two issues - one was a mouse lag issue, which was quickly researched and fixed via the Nvidia control panel. Slightly annoying but fixed. The second was that I was significantly nauseous after playing. Didn't notice it much while playing, but definitely did when I finished. I've -never- gotten than way with any game before, and I've played a bunch of FPS types over the years. I turned off some video options, and am hoping that fixes it. Tried to play a bit this morning, but then my daughter woke up and joined me. Hoping I've turned off enough fancy options that I'll be able to stomach it this time.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's the one thing that has stopped me from purchasing the game. After reading up on it, ultimately there's no way to turn off the head bob. Between that and (from what I've read) the fast camera jumps when you're moving about and interacting with the environment, I don't think I could handle it. It's unfortunate, but I've read too many reports of people that aren't normally feeling motion sickness in games complain about this one.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Supposedly theres a edit to do to turn off head bob. Not sure on the blurred graphics on quick movement.
I believe you are mistaken, in fact, here is the command from my actual default_levels.xml file.

<prop n="HeadBobFactor" v="0" />

(theoretically, you could create a text file with this command, then change the codec from txt or w/e into .xml. then you could add it to the pak3.data archive and you'd be able to play with no headbob, and that would be your only modification of the default_levels.xml file.?)

you can find it in the <!-- Simulation sickness test --> section of the default_levels file.
and
Data0\data\skills\default_levels.xml

Line 51: HeadBobFactor set to 0 will disable it
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Haven't played in months now. I keep it installed hoping Ill get back to it.
Ditto.
.And...I'm back at it.

Started a new game because it had been so long and I am rusty. I was only on the bridge gathering light bulbs according to my previous save, so I don't think I was too far along.
And...I'm back at it yet again, after spending tons of hours with The Surge (which I'm still playing sporadically).

Started yet another game and this one is going well. I'm not sure what my problem was the first time I tried it, although I suspect I started that game on hard while I'm playing this game on normal, but I'm having no real difficulties. Sure I die occasionally, and sure the mechanics sometimes hiccup and kill me, or cause frustration, but the game is great. The sheer fun of parkouring all over the place and the amount of detail built into the city is pretty amazing.

I actually don't use the grappling hook most of the time because parkour is much more fun. I've used a grappling hook in a zillion games. It's fun. I have not experienced parkour on this level before, and it's way more fun because of it. I still grapple to speed things up or to avoid a major detour due to terrain, but most of the time I just run and jump.

This game would be "good enough" if it was just parkour and zombies, but the story is interesting and your role as a third party dropped into the quarantined city gives you an interesting perspective.

It really is just a phenomenal game, although not without flaws. Those flaws are quickly forgotten as you jump from a rooftop onto a zombie and then dropkick bomb his friend over a cliff.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I was plugging away, about 60% through the story and things were becoming, not exactly easy, since I find the straight up combat in the game pretty difficult, but fairly rote. I decided to start a new game on hard. I didn't know what to expect and was surprised by some of the changes.

This is not a comprehensive list, just things that jumped out at me:

1. basic zombies can kill you in 2 or 3 bites. Virals are insanely difficult if you try to fight them straight up. Everything does more damage and takes more. Fighting anything head to head is a fools errand, especially early on. Counter-intuitively, humans are easier to fight now than zombies, due to their combat tactics being more predictable. Still, if you mess up, you are going to die. They hit like trucks, often taking more than 50% of your hp in 1 hit.
2. Survivor sense only finds weapons on the ground and highlights virals/volatiles. Nothing else. Since the game often has recipes or collectibles in hard to see locations, I'm not excited about this change as it makes searching for loot a LOT more of a pita.
3. Volatiles and their view range do not show up on your minimap. This makes sneaking at night much more difficult. I like it, mostly.
4. Less stamina. Very noticeable.
5. I'm not sure if you lose more exp when you die, but since I die WAY more often, I'm struggling to level the survivor tree. I save my DROPs until I'm close then hand them in, otherwise it's possible for any exp I get from DROPs being eaten by my deaths.
6. Flashlight runs out. Which sounds bad, but switching it off for even just a few seconds recharges it and you're good to go again. There is no battery indicator, so you know it's failing when it starts to dim/flicker.

I also found the save game from my original attempt last year I guess. I hadn't made it very far, but I was definitely playing on normal.

There is definitely a lot more swearing on hard. Combat is frustrating and dangerous as hell, but I'm still leveling. Treating any combat (outside of 1 or 2 isolated zombies) as a boss fight and using your throwing weapons, molotovs, grenades or what have you that you've been stockpiling is a good idea.

I'm getting much better about not dying by treating even the most basic encounter as a life or death situation (since it is, for me) but it's still tough.

On the whole, I like the game on Hard slightly better than I do on Normal, but I'd change a few things. The survivor sense has gone from nearly constant use to almost never except at night because it barely does anything now. That sucks. I really wish combat wasn't such a crapshoot. I realize I'm not the best at it but it still feels incredibly unfair to use up all your stamina on perfect headshots only to run out of steam while the viral berserks through your attacks and kills you. Obviously there are techniques and tactics that can change things, but it still feels sucky.

For example, when you get the head stomp ability, you can climb higher terrain and stomp their heads as they climb up to you. So the fights go from almost impossible to not take some damage to almost trivial. There is no middle ground it seems.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The joy of vaulting a spitter only to drop back down on top of it putting your axe in its skull with your drop attack ability is pretty sweet. So that helps make up for frustrations in other areas. :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

As an example of frustration and how it doesn't "feel right", I saw one of Rais' goons on a roof with a rifle. I grappled up to him (just got the hook, yay) and proceeded to beat him about the head and shoulders with a baseball bat with rank 2 impact on it. The impact didn't fire, and I exhausted my stamina beating another human in the head with a baseball bat. I couldn't conserve stamina because he would have had time to fire on me. Well I run out of stamina, he aims and pulls the trigger once. Down I go.

The obvious answer is to break his legs/knock him down somehow and then head stomp him, but that feels like a cop out, since once he's on the ground it's trivial to kill him. I must have hit him 5-7 times in the head.

It just feels wrong. The game is either trivial (knock his legs out from under him, then single button press to one shot him) or ridiculously difficult (beat a man in the head until you can't swing any longer, then get 1 or 2 shotted).

I'm not really complaining about the difficulty too much, as there are ways around it as I said, but the range of challenge is simply too extreme on both ends. So simple it's not fun or so difficult it's not fun.

Oh well, parkouring is still a blast.
Montag

Post by Montag »

I picked it up and I am enjoying it. It is harder to me than other FPS games. I am not use to not killing everything in sight. I do HATE the weapon erosion. That is a stupid mechanic.
words
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Montag wrote:I picked it up and I am enjoying it. It is harder to me than other FPS games. I am not use to not killing everything in sight. I do HATE the weapon erosion. That is a stupid mechanic.
Lots of people hate it. Believe it or not, they don't erode fast enough for me, so I end up scrapping crafted weapons because I've found better just roaming around and if I don't scrap what I'm using, the newly found weapons will be obsolete by the time my current weapons are broken, because I will have found yet more, even better, new weapons.

Even on hard where loot is supposed to be much harder to come by, good quality weapons are found faster than they are used up.

Once I started to treat the game as "running away from zombies" game, I was in a better head space to enjoy the game. I often tell my kids when I sit down to play that it's "time to run away from zombies".

I amuse myself when it's nighttime and I accidentally alert a volatile by chanting "run away run away run away" as I vault and leap from roof top to roof top in my sheer anxiety to survive.

I highly recommend playing at night as soon as you feel able. Dying has no penalty but loss of time as you respawn in a safe house and weapons do no degrade at night. I actually prefer doing quests at night on hard because if I die to some stupid thing I don't lose any survival exp.

Oh, also all agility/power exp is doubled at night. Not sure about survival. Probably not the exp from mission completions but maybe other kinds.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Montag and I played some multiplayer last Saturday. I didn't want to use one of my more advanced characters so I used a new save slot. This gave me a guy with 3/3/3 skillset, which is almost, but not quite, nothing. So I was of little help except for having some knowledge of the map and some fun (at least I find them fun) challenge locations like el jeffe the zombie slayer.

The game was constantly trying to turn on random competitions (who can loot the most stuff, who can kill the most zombies) as we roamed around. The game doesn't do that in solo play (no one to compete against) and I thought it was interesting if nothing else.

For the normal, fixed challenges, the winner got extra exp, but everyone else got the default "normal" experience, so completing challenges together gives extra exp to one person and the others lose nothing as compared to solo play, so that's not too bad.

It appeared that containers had individualized loot for each person, so they could be looted once by each player in the game. Loot I found was keyed to my low level character while loot Montag found was keyed to his higher level character.

I was actually surprised how much fun it was to roam around Harran with another person. I mean, it's not like this was my first multiplayer game, but the extra player really adds a sense of teamwork to surviving the zombie hordes. Not to mention it's not as isolating and lonely (which is thematic to the game).

Anyway, was fun. Hope to do it again sometime.

Son asked to buy the DLC yesterday but I told him no. It's only been 2 weeks since the summer sale and the DLC is full price. He needs to learn to plan ahead or appreciate delayed gratification more. :D It was hard saying no because I want the DLC too.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just got the achievement for finishing all side quests in my hard game. I didn't realize I was that close to finishing. I knew a major encounter was coming up but there have been several major encounters throughout the game.

I enjoy just running across rooftops. Sometimes it doesn't take much to keep me entertained.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Finished the game on Hard a few days ago. I'm now fooling around with a new game on normal, which is incredibly easy after Hard, but it allows my survival sense to see everything. Normal allows me to make mistakes and play more casually and still make progress.

I should really pick up the Following but I'm mostly done with the game and am just tooling around now.

Strong game, although I have some issues with the balance and difficulty progression of a few things.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I see the game is on sale this week on Steam, so I'm thinking of getting it. There is also an Enhanced Edition for four dollars more and I guess it's worth it, since it says:
Enjoy the definitive Dying Light experience with the brand-new Legend system, improved visuals, major gameplay enhancements, and more
So, any reason NOT to get the Enhanced Edition?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

You should get the Enhanced edition.

I think it works out that you get the season pass included, for $4 instead of $12 (right now).
There is no hug button. Sad!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks!
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, this is a bummer. I got the game and within an hour, after doing the introductory running over the crane and around the other building, plus the first outside the stronghold series of objectives, I had to give up and get a refund for the game. I was getting some serious motion sickness from the parkour :cry: . Just to be sure it was the parkour I fired up Homefront: The Revolution and did some running around there and no problems noted. Oh well, it's hell getting old, but then it's better than the alternative :D
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh well, it's hell getting old, but then it's better than the alternative :D
The older I get the more Im not so sure.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:dance: ... Dying Light’s Content Drop #1 – “Lethal Inventions”
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Dying Light’s Content Drop #1 brings three brand-new weapons alongside three special bounties needed to unlock these lethal inventions.

New Axe – Fenris

Bounty: Bloodlust

Fenris gains bonus damage for the next swing whenever it cuts off an opponent’s limb, which makes it perfect for fighting a stronger enemy accompanied by a group of weaker ones. Just cut off a weaker enemy’s leg and gain additional power to attack the tough guy.

New Knife – Kuai Dagger

Bounty: Rise of the Phoenix

A very light knife made of jade. It fits the hand so well and weights so little that it allows the runner to reach their maximum speed. Simply string parkour moves together to get an incremental speed boost.

New Revolver – Last Wish

Bounty: Ace in the Hole

What makes the Last Wish special is her final shot mechanic. Land consecutive headshots to increase the firepower of your bullets. Score five headshots in a row for a massive 6th shot.

More information on this and future content drops are available at http://www.dyinglightgame.com
Ain't nobody got time for that
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

At some point I did acquire this on the cheap. Maybe a Humble promotion? I am trying my best to get through it, but even after ~4 hours the motion sickness is just too much. I've set the FOV to max, turned off the motion blur and as a final suggestion I'll turn off "chromatic aberrations" (because somehow that makes sense). This game feels like it could be perfect for what I'm looking for right now, but the damn perspective and janky camera is making me want to hurl. I started it a few years ago and then stopped; now I remember why.

If this was somehow magically converted to a 3rd person action title (like Batman or Assassin's Creed), it would be fantastic.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I did that. It's at max. FOV adjustments usually fix things for me, but the camera in this game is extra nutty because of all the parkour stuff they've included. It's the same reason I couldn't ever play Mirror's Edge.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Figured I'd drop back in - it really was that final change. Yes, there are still some parts that make me woozy, but it's not a non-stop urge to hurl now. In summary:

(1) Changing FOV to max
(2) Turning off motion blur
(3) Turning off chromatic aberrations

That last one was the trick.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Chromatic aberration, ugh.

Remember when the goal of games was to be photorealistic? Apparently when we reached that point, someone decided it was the limit, too. We can't have games looking better than a photo, so make sure you add in all of the flaws a camera adds! We need vignetting, lens flare, chromatic aberration, extreme depth of field effects, and exaggerated motion blur!

/edit - Film grain! I forgot film grain.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't think I've ever had to adjust that setting in any other game...I'm not even aware of another game that has it. But yeah, not a fan.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:27 am I don't think I've ever had to adjust that setting in any other game...I'm not even aware of another game that has it. But yeah, not a fan.
Outer Worlds (really strong)
Alien: Isolation
Witcher 3
Doom 2016
Payday 2
Dead Island

Those are just the ones I remember dealing with it in myself. It is a big cause of blurriness, and I have no idea why artists think it is appealing. It's a flaw in cameras that causes edges to glow blue or red when the lens doesn't focus the light correctly.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Huh. Interesting. I wonder if I'm only really noticing it because of the frantic nature of game play for this one and how it exaggerates the "blur" that occurs when you're jumping or running? For Dead Island it was the head-bobbing that did me in (and I couldn't play until I modded it out), but I wonder if it was being made worse by CA. You learn something new every day!

Also, game developers - cut it out.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

All developers should have a course on that in their education. (Speaking as someone who was a software developer for 2 years of his career...)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I finally tried this game during the free weekend and I love it.
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:35 pm If this was somehow magically converted to a 3rd person action title (like Batman or Assassin's Creed), it would be fantastic.
Somehow Dying Light manages to scratch the same itch as Just Cause 2 did for me. I'm only a few hours into it so the shiny newness is talking but right now the first person parkour is a nice switch from 3rd person games.

It might help that I've decided to play at the story level of difficulty. I'm not a horror fan - I'm playing it more as a exploration game.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I played through it cooperatively with two friends and loved every piece of it. I honestly think it's in my top 20, at least played with other humans. And I thought the story was great too.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My son started seeing info about Dying Light 2 and asked if I knew anything about it. I am now pretty deep into a replay of Dying Light. I got the platinum edition for both of us (I only had the base game, no DLC), hoping to play some co-op. I think he may have made it through the tutorial bits, but homework has been interfering.

Looking forward to DL2 next week! It looks way more brutal and way more vertical. Also, for smoove, according to stuff I have seen online, it has a lot more options to minimize motion sickness.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Is there a way to transfer my saves from steam into Epic? My steam copy is the non-enhanced. Was hoping to move my progress there and then take advantage of dlc. I can't find my saves.

Before installing the epic version. I copied the dying light folder in my documents. I then installed the epic version and loaded it up thinking maybe it would just see my saves. It didn't and it seemed to overwrite my original dying light folder. When I open that up, I see a saves folder , but when I go to the copied version there is no saves folder. This tells me Steam saves it somewhere else as I was able to continue where I left off in my steam version.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

naednek wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:56 pm Is there a way to transfer my saves from steam into Epic? My steam copy is the non-enhanced. Was hoping to move my progress there and then take advantage of dlc. I can't find my saves.
Per Reddit:
Steam save is located under your Steam installation on your main drive, filepath should be something like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\xxxxxxx\239140\remote\out\save

where "xxxxxxx" is a number unique to your Steam account.

As for Epic Games, the filepath should be this:

C:\Users\<YourUser>\Documents\DyingLight\out\save

I swapped my save file over from steam and it loaded up perfectly.

Hope this helps!
naednek

Post by naednek »

gbasden wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:30 pm
naednek wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:56 pm Is there a way to transfer my saves from steam into Epic? My steam copy is the non-enhanced. Was hoping to move my progress there and then take advantage of dlc. I can't find my saves.
Per Reddit:
Steam save is located under your Steam installation on your main drive, filepath should be something like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\xxxxxxx\239140\remote\out\save

where "xxxxxxx" is a number unique to your Steam account.

As for Epic Games, the filepath should be this:

C:\Users\<YourUser>\Documents\DyingLight\out\save

I swapped my save file over from steam and it loaded up perfectly.

Hope this helps!
thanks MS support! :)
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Before installing the epic version. I copied the dying light folder in my documents. I then installed the epic version and loaded it up thinking maybe it would just see my saves. It didn't and it seemed to overwrite my original dying light folder. When I open that up, I see a saves folder , but when I go to the copied version there is no saves folder. This tells me Steam saves it somewhere else as I was able to continue where I left off in my steam version.
Best site to refer to for questions like this is PCGamingWiki.com, and here's the relevant entry for Dying Light:
PCGamingWiki.com wrote:Dying Light

Save game data location

Windows:

Code: Select all

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\DyingLight\out\save\
Steam:

Code: Select all

<Steam-folder>\userdata\<user-id>\239140\remote\out\
So, try copying the contents of the relevant folder in Steam to the Windows save game folder, and see if that does the trick.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke