Cities: Skylines

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Cities: Skylines

Post by coopasonic »

Vorret wrote:So... call me retarded but I can't figure out how to do elevated roads...
Page Up?

There's not much more to it than that. It needs to start far enough from whatever you are going over so it doesn't have to go too steep. There also needs to be room for the pylons to support it at regular intervals.

I've stagnated a bit around 30k population. I really need to branch out and use more of that space I have available. My oil industry area is a traffic nightmare. I turned off the double production benefit just because of the traffic.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

Absolutely loving this game thus far - I was trying to fall asleep last night and couldn't stop thinking about how I might improve the traffic flow in my first city.

Today I added my first metro, and had a great time creating the various lines after all my stations and tunnels were added. However, I can't seem to find a listing of the various lines once they are created - is that possible? I had to relocate one of my metro stations, and the tunnels in and out of it no longer show the green lines of the metro traffic, however the rest of the system appears to be operating normally. It might just be a graphic refresh bug, but a list of each of the lines I've created and how they are running would certainly clear things up for me.
-something witty-
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Vorret wrote:So... call me retarded but I can't figure out how to do elevated roads...
Take a look at this tutorial on building roads in the Asset Editor. Whether in-game or the editor, the process is the same. By the way, mine never look as pretty as the ones these guys build :roll:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
RMC

Post by RMC »

infinitelurker wrote:Absolutely loving this game thus far - I was trying to fall asleep last night and couldn't stop thinking about how I might improve the traffic flow in my first city.

Today I added my first metro, and had a great time creating the various lines after all my stations and tunnels were added. However, I can't seem to find a listing of the various lines once they are created - is that possible? I had to relocate one of my metro stations, and the tunnels in and out of it no longer show the green lines of the metro traffic, however the rest of the system appears to be operating normally. It might just be a graphic refresh bug, but a list of each of the lines I've created and how they are running would certainly clear things up for me.
Not helping me not buying this game. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

infinitelurker wrote:Today I added my first metro, and had a great time creating the various lines after all my stations and tunnels were added. However, I can't seem to find a listing of the various lines once they are created - is that possible?
I haven't found any of these kinds of lists for public transport. Public transport is the weakest part of the game IMHO. There's little in the way of feedback, especially nothing like there was in SimCity 4 Rush Hour. I'm plopping subways and buses hither and yon and except for the info on the station pop-up panel I have no idea if the lines are well placed or duplicating each other.

However, sadly for RMC, that's really the only gripe I have about the game. Otherwise it's awesome.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
RMC

Post by RMC »

jztemple2 wrote:
infinitelurker wrote:Today I added my first metro, and had a great time creating the various lines after all my stations and tunnels were added. However, I can't seem to find a listing of the various lines once they are created - is that possible?
I haven't found any of these kinds of lists for public transport. Public transport is the weakest part of the game IMHO. There's little in the way of feedback, especially nothing like there was in SimCity 4 Rush Hour. I'm plopping subways and buses hither and yon and except for the info on the station pop-up panel I have no idea if the lines are well placed or duplicating each other.

However, sadly for RMC, that's really the only gripe I have about the game. Otherwise it's awesome.
Ugh! Underlined, Bolded!! and Italicized... How can I resist this game???

It is now a matter of honor that I not buy this game this week, on a Thursday before Noon Eastern Time. And I will prevail!
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yeah, I setup some bus lines that span the city, but I noticed when I zoom in there are usually crowds of people in the hundreds waiting at each bus stop. I can't figure out if that's just how it works or if I'm doing something odd when I setup my bus lines that's causing it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Honestly, you people on the fence? This is the new SimCity we were hoping for. I mean, I'll have to wait until I've played longer and have a really advanced city to see if any weird simulation issues arise from me, but given how clear it is that Colossal Order has the right mindset for this game, I think any issues I find will be either minor or quickly addressed.

I mean, my biggest complaint with the game right now is that I can't change the date format to be month/day/year.
RMC

Post by RMC »

wonderpug wrote:Honestly, you people on the fence? This is the new SimCity we were hoping for. I mean, I'll have to wait until I've played longer and have a really advanced city to see if any weird simulation issues arise from me, but given how clear it is that Colossal Order has the right mindset for this game, I think any issues I find will be either minor or quickly addressed.

I mean, my biggest complaint with the game right now is that I can't change the date format to be month/day/year.
Oh if the date format is messed up then no way they are getting my money!!!

No really, I will purchase this game, it looks great, and everyones input is just icing on the cake. I jsut have too many games to play right now, and city sims are not one of my must own games. So first sale, I'll pick it up, but I'll wait. :)

Or when the DLC for Godzilla comes out, then I will get it. :)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

RMC wrote:No really, I will purchase this game, it looks great, and everyones input is just icing on the cake. I jsut have too many games to play right now, and city sims are not one of my must own games. So first sale, I'll pick it up, but I'll wait. :)
It's already been offered a few times for $20, which is the same price as SimCity 4 and $10 cheaper than SimCity 2013. :P
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

So apparently there is actually a pretty big problem with the traffic model, or more specifically the commute model. More specifically, there isn’t one. Residential areas do not need to be connected to work zones. I find this disappointing. :(
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lordnine wrote:So apparently there is actually a pretty big problem with the traffic model, or more specifically the commute model. More specifically, there isn’t one. Residential areas do not need to be connected to work zones. I find this disappointing. :(
First I've heard about this. Do you have an example?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Use the page up/page down keys.

Does anyone know how to exploit resources? I want to exploit the oil on one of my districts but I have no idea how to do it.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Lordnine wrote:So apparently there is actually a pretty big problem with the traffic model, or more specifically the commute model. More specifically, there isn’t one. Residential areas do not need to be connected to work zones. I find this disappointing. :(
That's fairly easy to test, and I seriously doubt it's true. The game is agent based, meaning that every person is modeled, there's no abstraction in the roads. So if a guy can't get to work, the work is not happening. I had a plague hit my town yesterday (they were watching SF Giant baseball and got sick), and many of them died. Consequently, I lost most of my industry due to lack of workers.
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Lorini wrote:
Use the page up/page down keys.

Does anyone know how to exploit resources? I want to exploit the oil on one of my districts but I have no idea how to do it.
When you're in distrct mode on the bottom there's different "types" of ressources you can attach to a specific district, just select oil and you're good to go!
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lorini wrote:Does anyone know how to exploit resources? I want to exploit the oil on one of my districts but I have no idea how to do it.
Run some roads over it. Create a district over it. With the districting tools selected, there is an option along the bottom for each industrial specialization. Select the oil one and click the district and then zone industrial... also make sure you have the necessary traffic capacity for the oil boom that is coming.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
RMC

Post by RMC »

wonderpug wrote:
RMC wrote:No really, I will purchase this game, it looks great, and everyones input is just icing on the cake. I jsut have too many games to play right now, and city sims are not one of my must own games. So first sale, I'll pick it up, but I'll wait. :)
It's already been offered a few times for $20, which is the same price as SimCity 4 and $10 cheaper than SimCity 2013. :P
I bought it... You can all laugh at my inability to control myself.... :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hey you held out for two days. Good work!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rip

Post by Rip »

Developer post on the issue.
Lets see if I can shed some light to this issue!

All workers do not need to get to work. This would simply need too much processing power if all 1 million citizens left to work at the same time. The worker numbers shown in factory information windows are the employees assigned for that building, the ones who can visit it as a work location. Not all of the workers will visit the building at the same time, some might not ever visit it, but they are the ones marked to work in the building. Employees don't need to get to work, but there need to be enough people in the city to assign to each workplace.

If citizens get stuck in traffic they will return to their starting point and abandon the traveling. This mechanic prevents city-wide gridlocks from happening, because when the traffic got that bad, it was very hard for players to see where the actual problem was because the traffic info view showed all roads as congested. Now the traffic jam will stay, but not expand uncontrollably, so it can be found and dealt with. Traffic jams do affect the city, because citizens can't travel to shopping locations, tourists can't travel to shopping locations, goods don't ship to local businesses and raw materials don't reach the industry.

Industry needs connections to receive raw materials and ship goods to outside locations or businesses in the city. For the most tax revenue, you should produce raw materials locally, have industry make them into goods and have local shops sell them. The shared save (Worker bug) has a city that does not even cover the upkeep of the roads with the industry taxes because they do not ship to local commercial areas. All buildings spawn with a small buffer of the items they need (goods for commercial, raw materials for industry) and will only require a shipment once the buffer gets low. In the save's very small city the buffer lasts quite a long time, but if you let the save roll on top speed for about 15 minutes, the buffer empties and commercial starts to need more goods. In a larger city, the buffer is gone fast and thus buildings react to poor connections faster.

So basically goods and raw materials work as agents, but citizens are a combination of agent and statistical model. A good road network makes the city produce more tax revenue, and having public transportation to take citizens to work will benefit the player by generating ticket income. Tourists only spend money in the city if they can reach commercial areas.

The city is quite slow to react to changes, but this was a choice made for stability so you can't accidentally destroy your city by a few poor choices. There's always time to react and fix things.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

It's more nuanced than that.

Summation from the developer:
Workers don't need to get to work every day, but in order to be happy they need to get to their destination (work, school, commerce, leisure) consistently.
Industry MUST to be able to send and receive goods. Industry gets a productivity bonus for workers that can get to work.
Commerce MUST be able to receive (from industry) and sell (tourists and residents) goods.
The overall simulation is slow to react giving you time to fix problems.

only about 65k sims are active simulations. The other 935K are imputed.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I can understand the logic behind it but it still makes for a very exploitable simulation. It seems like it would be a fairly easy fix to add a check for: Does residential connect to industry? No = abandon building after X time intervals.

Someone posted this screenshot exploiting the problem.
http://grab.by/FwLU
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Are there post offices, theaters and libraries and other similar building types in the game?

I only had a few minutes to mess around with this last night and haven't found anything about this stuff on their forums.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Lorini wrote:
That's fairly easy to test, and I seriously doubt it's true. The game is agent based, meaning that every person is modeled, there's no abstraction in the roads. So if a guy can't get to work, the work is not happening. I had a plague hit my town yesterday (they were watching SF Giant baseball and got sick), and many of them died. Consequently, I lost most of my industry due to lack of workers.

I see what you did...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Lordnine wrote:I can understand the logic behind it but it still makes for a very exploitable simulation. It seems like it would be a fairly easy fix to add a check for: Does residential connect to industry? No = abandon building after X time intervals.

It will abandon the building eventually. Industry needs to send goods to commerce. Commerce needs shoppers.

It just takes a while for the industrial building to deplete it's initial stock of goods.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

noxiousdog wrote:
Lordnine wrote:I can understand the logic behind it but it still makes for a very exploitable simulation. It seems like it would be a fairly easy fix to add a check for: Does residential connect to industry? No = abandon building after X time intervals.

It will abandon the building eventually. Industry needs to send goods to commerce. Commerce needs shoppers.

It just takes a while for the industrial building to deplete it's initial stock of goods.
Well, then it takes more than two years in game time for that to happen then according to that screenshot. :)
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Lordnine wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:

Well, then it takes more than two years in game time for that to happen then according to that screenshot. :)
Yes. I think they said 3 years of game time.
Black Lives Matter

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

But why would you exploit it?? It's not a multiplayer game, you don't 'win'. It doesn't bother me at all, I hope they spend more time on putting more stuff like tunnels in the game than that crap.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

coopasonic wrote:
Lorini wrote:Does anyone know how to exploit resources? I want to exploit the oil on one of my districts but I have no idea how to do it.
Run some roads over it. Create a district over it. With the districting tools selected, there is an option along the bottom for each industrial specialization. Select the oil one and click the district and then zone industrial... also make sure you have the necessary traffic capacity for the oil boom that is coming.
Are you talking about the Industrial policy? That isn't active until you get 11,000 citizens right?
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lorini wrote:Are you talking about the Industrial policy? That isn't active until you get 11,000 citizens right?
No, this is in the district menu for some reason... IIRC the Oil District becomes available at around 5600 citizens.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

noxiousdog wrote:
Lordnine wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:

Yes. I think they said 3 years of game time.
First of all, thanks to Lordnine for flagging this.

I'm happy with the developer's answer posted above. I'd actually prefer that it takes time for the issue to resolve, keeps me from having to tail chase a problem. I do wish we had more graphical information on traffic issues, especially public transit. But I guess there's a trade-off for performance if they gave us a way to track all of it. I've got an uber-rig and SimCity 4 Rush Hour can really slow it down on a large city, so I can imagine that Colossal Order didn't want to get tangled up in performance issues.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

If anyone should have any interest in this, I've uploaded my current city, Temple Town, to the Steam Workshop. It's not necessary some fabulous example of city designing expertise, it's more like a Jackson Pollack painting; I keep slapping new stuff on there and see what sticks :wink:

Enough

Post by Enough »

The forum-effect was too strong on this one and I am now the proud owner of the game. I am finding Cities: Skylines to be just about everything I had hoped the new SimCity would be, I can't wait to see what the modding community does in the future!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Stop it all of you! Stop it!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rip

Post by Rip »

I'm just waiting to get some money Friday. I expect to be knee deep in it all weekend.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just when you thought you're already sinking enough time in this game building cities, just wait till you start playing around with the Asset Editor!

This is my latest creation, the JZT Texas Highway Homage:
First of all, a big thanks to yamahasynth and plegnic whose postings inspired my to build my own version.

This is a typical Texas highway plus frontage road arrangement. It includes reversing lanes under the elevated highway plus a four lane road underneath. The road can of course be deleted if you don't need it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

OK, I'm getting a little carried away with this... more intersections in my Cities: Skylines Steam Workshop.

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

jztemple2 wrote:If anyone should have any interest in this, I've uploaded my current city, Temple Town, to the Steam Workshop. It's not necessary some fabulous example of city designing expertise, it's more like a Jackson Pollack painting; I keep slapping new stuff on there and see what sticks :wink:

Silly people and curved roads! A proper city needs to be square!
Enlarge Image

Except for that little round bit because traffic is annoying....
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Lordnine wrote:Silly people and curved roads! A proper city needs to be square!
Oh man, that city is going to become traffic hell, if it isn't already. :P Building on a grid in this game is generally not a great idea, in my experience.
Insert witty comment here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

TiLT wrote:
Lordnine wrote:Silly people and curved roads! A proper city needs to be square!
Oh man, that city is going to become traffic hell, if it isn't already. :P Building on a grid in this game is generally not a great idea, in my experience.
Yeah, that's another nice thing about the game, you really can tweak the road system to make all sorts of intersections, ramps, flyovers, circles, etc. When I do my next city (or massively redo Temple Town) I'm going to use a lot more imagination in the traffic layout right at the start.