Cities: Skylines

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lorini

Re: Cities: Skylines

Post by Lorini »

I think the trams are the best thing about the latest DLC, they are pretty cool.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New free DLC for the game, Match Day
Cities: Skylines - Match Day Introduces the Team Spirit to Your Town!

Available for free to all players of Cities:Skylines “Match Day” allows mayor-players to add stadiums to their towns – and comes with all of the benefits and challenges of hosting major sporting events in their citizens’ backyard.

The free “Match Day” DLC includes:

A Stadium for your City - Build a stadium in your city and become the home of a major sports franchise
Match Day Mechanics: Prepare for increased traffic coming to and from your arena on match day – and reap the rewards from ticket revenue
Customize your local team colors
New stadium-related policies
A New Hat for Chirper (!)
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Haven't played this in a while. Maybe should give it a try again.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Island Dog wrote:Haven't played this in a while. Maybe should give it a try again.
I tired recently and the whole day/night thing just completely put me off. Night is pretty, but otherwise its just abstract since days pass by during the night. But what got me was having to do a separate budget for night. I think crime just goes up at night, so why do I need whole other budget? I am nitpicking and this can probably all be turned off, but It just all stuck me as kind of silly.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Turn if off in the options.
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

Lorini wrote:Turn if off in the options.
I figured after the fact that you could, but never went back. Am I missing something though, does the night/day thing make it a better game? Is there really a difference between night and day other than crime?
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Lee wrote:
I figured after the fact that you could, but never went back. Am I missing something though, does the night/day thing make it a better game? Is there really a difference between night and day other than crime?
Some players love the aesthetics about city builders and that's who night is made for. I'm with you, I don't care about night time and it annoys me as well. I turned it off as soon as I found the option and haven't looked back.
Black Lives Matter
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Lee wrote:
There's supposed to be differences in traffic patterns. For example, in daytime your citizens will be heading to and from work, while in nighttime they'll be heading towards your shopping and entertainment areas.
Insert witty comment here.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Im thinking of picking this up during the sale. Is the base game and Mass Transit sufficient, or should i go for all the DLC?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote:Im thinking of picking this up during the sale. Is the base game and Mass Transit sufficient, or should i go for all the DLC?
Inquiring minds want to know... I was also debating pulling the trigger on this one.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm impatient, so I'm going with Skylines and Mass Transit. Reviews of the other DLC are pretty mixed. It sounds like Snowfall is good for the Tram and nothing else. Natural Disasters is good for helicopters, but otherwise not worth it if you're not going to turn on the disasters (which I wouldn't) - which is understandable. After Dark seems mostly cosmetic and I usually play without sound, so I don't need the Relaxation Station.

If people weigh in with other thoughts, all that DLC is still on sale, I just lose out on a 10% discount - the price I pay for impatience. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

IIRC, After Dark had some of the most impressive "under the hood" changes with the different economies for day and night (i.e. your city had a nightlife). I would pick that one up over Snowfall, which I thought was almost wholly cosmetic.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Yeah you should get After Dark as well.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I will have to look at the pricing structure for After Dark. I bought the main game last night and didn't even pull the trigger on Mass Transit because I didn't want to pay that much for DLC for a game I wasn't sure I would like.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I got both base and Mass Transit - haven't done After Dark yet. I got Mass Transit because I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos(which got me interested in the first place) and the guy I watch says it is a game changer. I'll say it's taken a bit to figure out the controls. Flabiliki made it look so easy. :D

So are there any mods people consider essential? I'm using Move It and Traffic Manager: Presidential Edition.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Network Extension(s?) gives you a lot more road choices.
Black Lives Matter
KDH

Post by KDH »

:doh: ... Paradox Interactive Bringing Pillars of Eternity and Cities: Skylines to PS4 and Xbox One

just ignore the POE man behind the curtain
STOCKHOLM — June 21, 2017 — Paradox Interactive, a publisher of best-selling games across many genres and platforms, today announced that Pillars of Eternity, the critically acclaimed role-playing game (RPG) from Obsidian Entertainment, and Cities: Skylines, the smash-hit city-building game from Colossal Order, will both be released for new console platforms later this year. Both award-winning titles have been redesigned for console players with controller-friendly gameplay and UI, and will be available in August for their respective platforms.
Cities: Skylines, the best-selling management game that set sales records at Paradox at launch, will soon be available for the PS4 as Cities: Skylines - PlayStation®4 Edition. The deep gameplay and unique charm have all been refined and optimized for play on a controller, and the new Edition will include the award-winning base game, bundled together with the popular After Dark expansion, allowing players to plan and design for their cities’ nightlife and tourist attractions. Cities: Skylines - PlayStation®4 Edition will launch on August 15, 2017.
:pop: YouTube announcement - PS4 (1m)
Ain't nobody got time for that
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I already had eighty hours in the game and had uninstalled and retired it, but this discussion about Mass Transit has goaded me to give the game another try. After puttering around for a while, I realized that I had so many mods installed that I was losing my focus on the main gameplay. So I uninstalled all the mods and am playing the pure vanilla version to relearn all the techniques I've forgotten, like how not to go broke :roll:. I haven't picked up Mass Transit yet, I'm going to wait and see if the game is still of interest to me after several more hours.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Broke this out this weekend and could not get myself out of the grid mentality and the game didn't hold much for me. So I watched a few Let's Plays where people are actually crafting cities and I have interest in doing that only apparently I have no vision and I don't seem to be able to use the GUI to make the nifty curves they do.

Still, I'll try again. I still own no DLC and am intimidated by the mods.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:ugeek: just a heads-up .. BundleStars has decent prices for this game and some (or all) DLC

base: 7.49
deluxe: 9.99
after dark: 7.49
disasters: 10.04
art-deco: 3.34
snowfall: 6.49

in addition (subtraction?) to these prices there is a -10% off with the code: summer10

The FREE DLC has not been discounted (those bastards!!)

STEAM page
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I should play this someday.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image
:music-rockout: ... new mini-expansion Cities: Skylines Concerts!
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Aug. 8

Cities: Skylines - Concerts is a mini-expansion that gives players the power to plan and present major concerts.

With Concerts, putting on a great show is about more than just the music. From new buildings to host your headliners to festival management options that encourage ticket sales, creating advertising campaigns, driving band popularity, optimizing security budgets and more, Concerts puts players in control of everything from the front of house to backstage.
$6.99 as listed at paradoxplaza ... coming soon
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Enlarge Image

Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Gamescom Announcement Trailer
Cities: Skylines - Green Cities .... The expansion adds 350 new assets to the core game, adding a massive selection of new visual options, complete with eco-friendly buildings, organic shops, electric vehicles, and new services designed to make pollution a quaint notion of the past. Players can create more diversified cities, or go completely green as the urban population grows. New in-game services and buildings arrive alongside revisions to noise and environmental pollution, making the skies safer for Chirper at last.

exciting new features such as:

Story to Story, Building to Building, Street to Street:
New Eco-Friendly Buildings, New specialization buildings, new alternative service buildings, new unique buildings, electric cars, new parks -- 350 new assets in all giving a unique new look to Cities: Skylines

I Wish I Was Special, You’re So Very Special:
New specialized options for all city zones, plus leveled-up specializations for the first time in Cities: Skylines

So What So What So What’s the Scenario:
3 new scenarios, 4 new policy options, and a new Monument to make your friends Green with envy

Why Do Birds Suddenly Appear More Stylish:
Of course we’ve included a new hat for Chirper

STEAM page
Montag

Post by Montag »

So after an epic Stellaris game, I am getting back to this. What are the essential Steam Workshop items?
words
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Im trying to give this a more serious go. I tried Planet Coaster and I REALLY want to play it but the controls RUIN it. If they were the same as all the other coaster games or even the same as Skylines Id be great. I will give it more time later when maybe I can change or mod the controls.

Anyways Im building my first city and Im picking up Mars radio from Surviving Mars. So cool!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still not getting anywhere. I can build some roads and run the water and sewer. But when I try to run power lines they are always red out to me and I cant place them. If I run them away from houses they are green and string along. But near homes I cant run them. Hell I cant run anything right from the power plant. I place it then i can place a tower right beside the plant but if I try to string power from there it turns red and wont place. Ive tried two new maps ...nada. Maybe Ill leave this and install Planet Coaster and try those stupid controls again. Least they dont need power or sewage.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do when you say run them from the power plant. The power plant creates an area of power. You just have to place a pole in the area of power, not connect it directly to the plant. Houses also don't need poles running to all of them - you just have to run a pole near one of them and then the houses (as long as they are all built and touching each other) transfer the power for you.

Here's a vid that explains it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Can players turn off night time? I cant see well at night and would prefer to keep it daytime.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yes - under Options -> Gameplay, there is an option "Use Day/Night cycle". Unclick it. Just make sure you are in Daylight - whatever mode you are when it is unclicked will be what you are stuck with (well, until you re-enable it).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

OK thank you. :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Cities: Skylines Parklife Giveaway
Don't miss your chance to get Parklife expansion on Steam! Sign up for our newsletter and follow a few easy steps to receive the DLC for free before April 26th 🎁

Read our FAQ below 👇

1. What DLC will I get for free?

You will get Cities: Skylines Parklife DLC for free on Steam.

2. How long is this offer running for?

The offer is valid between 21st April 23.59 CET and 26th April 23.59 CET. If you have signed up to the newsletter before, you are covered. Please wait up to 36 hours for DLC to appear in your Steam library.

3. How can I redeem the free DLC?

To be eligible for receiving Parklife DLC for free on your Steam account, please follow the steps below:

<and so on and so forth...>
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

new Humble Cities:Skylines Bundle has a bunch of DLC:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/cities-skylines

...and the base game is at the $1 tier
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:03 pm $20 Humble Bundle
Well crap. I wish I had noticed this yesterday when I went on a bit of a cities spending spree.

Ill have to see if I can regund my purchase. Thankfully i just loaded the game loader gor a bit and not even the game. Should be under the play time limit unless i forgot and left it open.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us