Ashes of the Singularity: RTS from Stardock and Oxide Games

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Island Dog

Re: Ashes of the Singularity: RTS from Stardock and Oxide Ga

Post by Island Dog »

Brad has a new developer diary up on The Escapist. It's an interesting read if you are interested in Ashes.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... ty-in-2178
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Beta 2 is out today!

New Multiplayer Season!
One of the best ways to enjoy Ashes of the Singularity is through custom or ranked multiplayer matches! The Dev Team will be re-setting the global leaderboards on Beta release day and starting with a fresh slate. This will be known as "Season 0" and will last until shortly after the final version of Ashes is released. Do you think you have what it takes to beat the Stardockians? Join us on Fridays from 4pm ET - 6pm ET for ranked and custom matches!

New Maps!
We are happy to provide 3 new maps for you to wage war on! Eridon, Pyn, and Cygnus make their debut in Beta 2 - we're sure you'll enjoy exploring the new terrain!

New Visual Effects!
The team has been working on improving the game's visuals, which include (but are not limited to) explosions and other weapon effects. Now all of that exciting war playing out on your screen is even more attention-grabbing and flashier than before.

New Music!
Some new ambient musical tracks have been added, along with new tracks for your win/loss screens and new main menu and multiplayer menu music! The team has also added additional sound FX throughout the game.

Full changelog and info: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/475457/

Enlarge Image
Montag

Post by Montag »

OO opinions so far?
words
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Montag wrote:OO opinions so far?
It's still being baked.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Difficult time to pay attention to any EA, with Fallout 4, XCOM 2, Witcher 3 and GTA. Hope to be ready after tax season.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v0.91 update is out today.

HIGHLIGHTS:
  • Stability fixes
  • Performance improvements
  • Balance improvements
  • New Map: Fringe
Full changelog: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/475824
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v0.92 update is out today.

Full changelog: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/475976/

HIGHLIGHTS:
  • Map Editor Access
  • Stability fixes
  • Substrate Balance improvements
  • New Map: Bis
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Can we give orders while it is paused yet (similar to Forged Alliance, etc.)?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Tampa_Gamer wrote:Can we give orders while it is paused yet (similar to Forged Alliance, etc.)?
It's not that kind of game, I would be shocked to see that feature. You can't give orders while paused in Starcraft II and this is a knockoff of that game.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Lorini wrote:
Tampa_Gamer wrote:Can we give orders while it is paused yet (similar to Forged Alliance, etc.)?
It's not that kind of game, I would be shocked to see that feature. You can't give orders while paused in Starcraft II and this is a knockoff of that game.
Brad mentioned earlier that it was a knock off Kohan (where you could give orders while paused). If it's like Starcraft II instead, then I'll pass.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote:Island Dog, I don't mean to sound disparaging about your game. You're company as a whole makes great games and have a lot great ideas. What I'm about to say has to say more about the genre than anything else, Ashes of the Singularity just highlights my point...

Now I'm only basing my opinion from the above video, but this opinion is also valid from my play time with many RTS such as PA, Supreme commander, the more recent C&C. These games essentially boil down to hey lets build the most units and we'll see who wins. There's no strategy involved. It's a flash mob of an attack. The games of yore, the original C&C series (including RA) warcraft, starcraft, age of empires, RoN, and others had more elements of strategies at play. Sure there were tank rushes, but these games made you think on what troops to build based on what the other player or AI had in their aresnal.

Now I don't know of AotS has this type of gameplay, but just from the 4 minute AMD advertisement video posted above, it just looked like lets build as many as we can and have at it.

I miss the C&C/Warcraft type of games. Again I have always respected your involvement in our community, I'm just sharing my opinion.

Played the game the other day at my brother's.... It confirmed my concerns :( Spam spam spam.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The release date is set for March 31, and a new trailer for the announcement is out. :)

https://youtu.be/uPT7RjhhL14
Now it's time for the game's release, and we are ready to bring you what you've been waiting for! We have listened to your feedback and have continued to refine and balance the game all through its time in Early Access. With your help, we have improved our multiplayer experience and have been enjoying our "Devs vs. Fans" Fridays.

We have added several maps since our first beta and by the time we release 1.0 you will have the ability to edit maps to your own preferences! Closer to release, we will create a post with instructions and tips for how to do this.

Finally, we can't wait to tell you all more about the Ascendancy Wars campaign that will become available in full at the time of release. Keep an eye out on our forums for more information, and certainly load the game up when 1.0 releases on March 31st and give it a try for yourself!
Also, the v0.93 update went out today with the tutorial added, and various fixes and stability improvement.

Full changelog: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/476045/
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Jeff V wrote:
Lorini wrote:
Brad mentioned earlier that it was a knock off Kohan (where you could give orders while paused). If it's like Starcraft II instead, then I'll pass.
The email ad is touting a comparison to Starcraft so it's a pass.
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Had another update go out (v0.94a), and today is Friday so we'll be playing fans today from 4-6pm ET. :)

Changelog: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/476227/

HIGHLIGHTS:
  • Achievements
  • Additional Balance
  • Stability & Bug fixes
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Yes.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Island Dog wrote:
Yes.
How? It didn't work when I tried it.
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Lorini wrote:
Island Dog wrote:
Yes.
Hit the Pause key then give the actions to be done. Unless I'm missing something that you are trying to do.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Another update went out today with balance and stability fixes (v0.94c).

Full changelog: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/476383/
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Island Dog wrote:
Lorini wrote:
Island Dog wrote:
Yes.
Hit the Pause key then give the actions to be done. Unless I'm missing something that you are trying to do.
You missed that every other real time strategy game (that I've played) uses space for pause so that's what I tried :).
Black Lives Matter
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Ah yeah. The spacebar should bring up the strategic map in Ashes.

Well glad it's sorted now. :)
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Brad has an AMA going on in the Ashes subreddit if you have any questions to ask.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AshesoftheSing ... lease_ama/

We also have a stream planned at 3pm ET tomorrow (launch day) on Twitch. :)
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Ashes of the Singularity has been released!

More info: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/475672/

Gameplay trailer: https://youtu.be/Aag1Y6yZ8I0

Wage a War Across an Entire World
You want a war? We'll give you a war! Experience massive numbers of units that can be easily organized into armies, allowing you to fight battles across several different fronts simultaneously. With two unique factions, The Post-Human Coalition and The Substrate, tons of possible combinations for units, and a large selection of maps, no two wars will be the same.

Encounter Mysterious New Threats in Ascendancy Wars
In the year 2178, humanity has begun to evolve into god-like Post-Humans and are now expanding out into the galaxy. Learn more about how the Post-Human Coalition formed and what mysterious threats they encounter as they explore new worlds in this exciting campaign mode. Try the "scenarios" mode and take on unique challenges like "King of the Hill," a scenario that pits you against an endless onslaught of enemies to see just how long you can survive.

Battle with Friends in Multiplayer Matches
Play custom matches with friends and engage in a lively multiplayer community. Join in on ranked 1v1 multi-player matches to see how you hold up against other Ashes players! You can check out the Metaverse scoreboard here.

Experience the Power of Nitrous
This new and powerful 3D 64-bit, multi-core engine allows for the rendering of Ashes' thousands of units on screen at once and supports DirectX 11, DirectX 12, and multiple GPUs.

Claim Victory with Strategy, not Speed
Games are won or lost based on your strategy, not how fast you can click. Deciding what technologies to research, where to send armies, how to manage your economy, and what units to construct are critical.
Enlarge Image
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v1.02 update went out today with a new scenario and map, along with various fixes and improvements.

Full changelog: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/476915/

We also have Fans vs. Devs today from 4-6pm ET. :)
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Just picked this up over the weekend and got a few hours in on the tutorial/campaign the past couple of days. At first I was a bit leery and the tutorial was a bit weird in the way that it kept dropping tons of units on you, but once I got into the campaign and lost a scenario or 2 while figuring out what to do, it started to get its hooks into me.

Anyone interested in a bit of MP? Maybe a compstomp (or get stomped?)?

Was able to use the GMG 20% off on it, FWIW.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Pyperkub wrote:Just picked this up over the weekend and got a few hours in on the tutorial/campaign the past couple of days. At first I was a bit leery and the tutorial was a bit weird in the way that it kept dropping tons of units on you, but once I got into the campaign and lost a scenario or 2 while figuring out what to do, it started to get its hooks into me.

Ping me later in the week, I'd be interested (but probably useless :) ) in a comp stomp.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Lorini wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:Just picked this up over the weekend and got a few hours in on the tutorial/campaign the past couple of days. At first I was a bit leery and the tutorial was a bit weird in the way that it kept dropping tons of units on you, but once I got into the campaign and lost a scenario or 2 while figuring out what to do, it started to get its hooks into me.

Ping me later in the week, I'd be interested (but probably useless :) ) in a comp stomp.
Flying out of town and will have a laptop which probably can't handle it. Might be able to play tonight (monday) after work...

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

PS - I'm Pyperkub on Steam as well - not sure if I have you in my friends list or not...

Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

We play Fans vs. Devs on Fridays from 4-6pm ET. If you are around then it's a good time to play. :)
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v1.11 update went out today with UI support for huge maps, balance updates, and more. :)

Full changelog: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/477374/
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The Gauntlet DLC and v1.12 update was released today!

The update includes a new PHC building, the Refinery, re-done SFX for in-game notifications, performance optimization for lower-end video cards, and more.

Full changelog: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/477651/

More details here: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/477547/
Gauntlet Scenario:

Two Substrate entities are fighting an ongoing war with tremendous armies you can't possibly hope to match. Can you somehow cross the battlefront to capture - and hold - the lone Turinium Generator in the far North?

Included Maps:

Tanuk - Enjoy this medium sized and symmetrical map, great for free for all, a 3-team split, or 3 player rumble! This intense map can host up to 6 players.

Nightshade - Join up with some teammates for a classic "comp stomp" on this large 4-player map, or take on 3 foes by yourself from a strong vantage point.

Frontier- Challenge yourself against your friends or the AI in this large, 5-player ice map. A single player starts in the middle on top of a winding plateau and must fend off the surrounding enemies who are mounting up to strike.

Hammer of the Gods - Duke it out for the tempting Turinium Generator in the center of the battlefield or seize control of all of the resource-rich basins on the edges of your territory in this 4-player map, great for free-for-all or 2v2 skirmishes.

Delphi - Set up your defenses on one of the plateaus dotting this small, 4-player map. Great for free-for-all or team matches, the generators and resources spread around will be sure to draw any turtles out of their shells.
Enlarge Image
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The big v1.2 update is out today with a newly enhanced campaign, new units, substantial UI and AI improvements, global chat, and much more.

Highlights from the update:

New Enhanced Campaign
We've really beefed up the campaign with this update. Since release, we have added 3 missions to this mode, and v1.2 brings fully voiced dialogue and new cut scenes.

New Unit: The Eradicator
This new long-range Substrate cruiser may be slow moving and a little expensive, but its attack power is devastating. In addition to its heavy weaponry, the Eradicator is extremely difficult to kill.

New Unit: The Athena
This new short-range PHC cruiser is small, fast, and armed with high energy laser bolts, thermal lasers, and a plasma bolt cannon.

New Global Chat
The new Global Chat channel makes it possible for gamers around the world to see who's playing at all times. Finding opponents to play against has never been easier.

Substantial UI and AI Improvements
We have made some adjustments to the late-game AI strategies and now allow players to choose the AI's "personality" in Skirmish mode. v1.2 also brings skirmish map sorting, the ability to add friends from the multiplayer lobby, more informative tool tips within the Army Unit panel, and more.

Full changelog: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/477853/

Enlarge Image
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

New Turtle Wars DLC out today for Ashes with new maps and scenarios! :)

Info here: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/477956/

Scenarios

Implosion - Race against three enemies to be the first to crack the defenses of a crashed Post-Human and their experimental Turinium Generator.

Eruption - Cut off from your factories, you must command a single Hyperion Dreadnought and a scattering of defensive structures to turn the tides of battle.

Mountaintop - Exploit your resource-heavy advantage and create massive forces to climb the mountain to the enemy entrenchment and wipe them out.

Turtle Wars - Hold off the frigates swarming from indestructible factories and survive the siege. Reprogram the factories to your advantage before the enemy crosses the mountain and finishes you off.

Maps

Crack the Shell - Hold the high ground and the Turinium against your enemies in this asymmetrical 3-player map, best for 2v1 matches.

Turtle Wars - Enjoy a longer duel with your enemy on this epic-scale 2-player map. The open landscape with select chokepoints encourages huge armies and larger battles.

Eruption - Choose your path wisely - one leads to the lone Turinium Generator, the other to resources in this small 2-player map.

Implosion - One valley with an abundance of resources stands at the center of this large, asymmetrical map fit for a 4-player free for all with huge armies.
Enlarge Image
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v1.24 update was released today with observer mode and half-resolution terrains, along with various other fixes and improvements.

Full changelog: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/478611/
Observer Mode
Check out the action in other player's games! In multiplayer games, the host can allow players to join as "observers" that can watch the action without actually participating.

Half-Resolution Terrain
This new graphics option reduces the graphics resources used by Ashes. While sacrificing very little in visual quality, enabling this option will greatly improve in-game stability on lower spec machines and on larger maps.
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The Epic Map Pack DLC is out today with new maps and a new scenario. :)

More details: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/478602/

Enlarge Image
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The v1.3 update for Ashes is available today. This update includes new maps, more responsive units, and a new Map Ping feature. :)

More info and changelog here: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/478804/
New Features
Unit Responsiveness - Units now respond faster to move orders and reach their destination more efficiently. Adjusted acceleration and banking speed makes units more responsive to your input, which allows for greater control of your armies.

Upgraded Movement- Larger units are now upgraded with improved movement and physics. The new AI tweaks will prevent them from clumping up (and becoming sitting ducks) or for jockeying with each other for position instead of fighting the enemy.

Map Ping - You can now coordinate attacks with your teammates by placing a marker on the mini-map. Visible only to members of your team, this feature will allow you to group up before your big assault.
Enlarge Image
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Brad has the August dev update up with lots of good info about the current status of the game and some of what's upcoming. :)

http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/478991/
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

The Oblivion DLC for Ashes is out today with a new scenario and several maps. :)

http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/479001/

The v1.31 update was also released with various fixes that have been reported by players.

Full changelog: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/479119/

Enlarge Image
Island Dog

Post by Island Dog »

Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Releases this Fall! :)

Info: http://forums.ashesofthesingularity.com/479054/
Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation introduces some new and exciting content:

New Story-Driven Campaign
See Haalee's point of view and learn about the origin of the Substrate in the campaign "Memories." Experience the next chapter in the "Escalation" campaign as the PHC faces external and internal threats.

New Units
Add to the gameplay dynamic with new units for both the PHC and the Substrate! Destroy waves of enemies with the heavily armored Hera unit for the PHC or bolster the strength of your army and recharge their defenses with the Caregiver unit for the Substrate, and more.

New Worlds
Travel to new Crystal and Lava worlds for new and exciting scenery for truly epic battles. Wage war across landscapes of massive crystal formations or storm your enemy's base across spans of volcanic pits and burning terrain.

Bigger Maps and Global View
Experience truly massive wars with over a dozen players at once on maps even larger than before! Face the new challenges of multi-tiered terrain and use the new Global View to manage your armies more easily.

New Buildings
Bolster your defenses with new upgradeable buildings. Unleash devastating advanced aircraft units on your enemies by building an Aviary or Advanced Sky Factory. Lay traps for your enemies or surprise them from behind enemy lines with new offensive and defensive turrets.

New Orbital Abilities
Surprise your enemy by using your quanta to call down turrets at critical moments in battle. Defend regions or deploy turrets strategically to trap incoming units or cut off a retreat.
Enlarge Image