Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, my upper decks were fully self-sustaining living quarters. I never even had to go home to recharge the batteries, especially once I installed the efficiency module. I'd get one cell empty (power 1000/1200), and replace it (1200/1200) and put the discharged cell in a charger within the sub, which draws from the other batteries. The ratio is very favorable, though. By the time my cell was charged, I'd be at like 1170/1200. Eventually I'd need to charge a couple in the base, but it would take many, many dozens of hours more before that slight loss added up. And I had enough power cells that I could easily just drop a couple off at the base.

I really used the Cyclops as a mobile base. The lower deck storage was purely for gathering, while the upper deck was the funcitonal part. I put an additional five lockers on the wall opposite the built-in lockers, for a total of ten I could fill up while gathering.

The only things I wished for were first, the possibility of taking both the Seamoth and the PRAWN suit instead of having to choose. That was the main reason for having the forward bases, to reduce the time needed to swap. I'd have eventually had one of each vehicle at each base. Second, I want the ability to access the vehicle storage from within the Cyclops. As it is, I have to park the Seamoth right outside the hatch and ferry items back and forth. I only had two extra storage bays on there, so it wasn't too much, but transferring them from within would have been nice. The PRAWN suit was even harder, because you can't park it right outside unless the Cyclops is right next to the sea floor.

I think I'd do two things a little differently if I started again. My base was cool looking, but it was impractical. I didn't know what rooms were available, so I just sort of added on as I went. Were I to do it again, I'd start with a plan involving a central storage/crafting bay with the other rooms coming off of it like spokes.

Second, I'd plan my locations so that there was one base in the north, perhaps near the mushroom forest by the Aurora, and one in the south, spread out better to give access to both areas I'd need to work from.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Maybe its OCD or something but that water that washes around and waves through the floor of the lifepod drives me nuts. It started when i was supposed to be in space escaping the ship and it still does it..I hate that clipping issue SOOOooo much.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The game (still pre-release, of course) has quite a few issues like that with zones overlapping. Water inside pods, grass inside bases, fish swimming through walls, getting 'sun shafts' when in a lava cave underneath a zone that normally has them, etc. It's all stuff that they're working on.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dangerous Creatures update today.
Spoiler:
It looks like, in addition to some nasty enemies (Warpers can pull you out of vehicles? Gah!), they put the ingredients for the thermal generators in the inactive lava zone, and they require the PRAWN drill arm to harvest. That means they're now late-game items. I used thermal generators for most of my base power. Looks like early game bases will be much more limited, as solar panels let your base de-charge at night, and bioreactors provide capacity, but barely any power flow.

/edit - nevermind. That is just for the PRAWN suit thermal reactor, not the base thermal generator. I's is the dum.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I'll be really glad when this game finally launches!!!
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

They can't do that. I just finished playing the PRAWN release!

My last night was spent freewheeling down as far as I could in my 900m Seamoth - and I got myself nicely lost in the inactive lava area - finding a massive skeleton )the Leviathan, I assume) and old flows that had hardened over. I don't know if it was a graphics glitch or intentional, but a lot of the seafloor there was covered in green light, like a flow of green fog had settled into the dips and valleys. There was absolutely nothing to find except the skeleton and some very massive and empty caverns.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That was the Lost River. It wasn't a glitch - it is just an area that isn't finished. The green is going to be a special liquid at some point, I believe. Right now you're just seeing the placeholder for the surface.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Well, it looked like inactive lava tubes!

I honestly don't know the names of the regions, and the game never tells you. You've got to study the online resources to see what the developer calls them.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote:Well, it looked like inactive lava tubes!

I honestly don't know the names of the regions, and the game never tells you. You've got to study the online resources to see what the developer calls them.
That's why the gods gave unto us the F1 key.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Not all of us have your secret decoder ring. :ninja: Honestly, I never even thought. Most games, F1 just gives you some basic clues or GUI help... I'm sure the game tells me to use it repeatedly, too. I just ignore messages like that.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It doesn't tell you. There is a lot it doesn't tell you - it is still pre-release.

F1 opens a sort of 'stats' window. Most of it is just technical stuff, but it does tell you your current zone, and more useful than that, gives you X,Y,Z coordinates (WorldCameraPos or something like that.)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Bones Update.

Another update or two and I'll give it another whirl.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I keep this installed and keep going back to it. I cant believe how much of a steal this game was. I got it on sale or something for the early purchase and it just keeps getting better and better and its not become a bit boring.

The game that keeps on giving.
Last edited by Daehawk on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Very cool. Not quite enough to hop back in yet so soon after playing with the PRAWN update ... but awesome!

The concept of "breaking open barnacles" on the Reefback's back seems a little ... icky ... to me.
Black Lives Matter

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New update, Precursor
Precursor Array & Base
Rising out of the ocean, a strange, large structure appears in Subnautica. We don't want to spoil the surprise, so we won't say much. There are two entrances to this area, both of which must be discovered by you, the explorer. Once inside, more mysteries await...

Ancient Artifacts
Other strange objects are hidden around the world, waiting to be uncovered. Regardless of where you go, keep your eyes peeled for additions, such as a Precursor Cache.

Cave Exploration
The island behind the Precursor Array is just as unusual. Be sure to spend some time exploring as much of this unique area as possible - You never know what you will stumble across.

Other Improvements
PDA can now be used while operating vehicles
Watch out, the world now has fall damage!
Continued work on optimization & stability improvements
Land-based movement improvements
Level design polish in Lost River & Floating Island biomes
HUD notification for radio messages
New PDA updates for distant Aurora wreckage
Extensive loot balancing for player progression (Read more)
Constructable improvements (video)
That "Read more" item is very interesting, it seems that the devs are taking to heart requests to make the game fun again, instead of making gathering resources a chore. However, I still think I'm going to wait for the released game before I play again.

And here's the link to the announcement on Steam.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep, I'm busy enough with Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 right now that I don't mind waiting a bit longer.

Why the hell did I ever start two open world games of this size at once? It seems like it will be months before I have any spare space in my gaming schedule.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I keep telling myself that I want to wait until the game is "finished" and I keep going back for more with every other update. This will become my third playthrough all of the existing content. I more than got my money's worth with this title.
Black Lives Matter

mori

Post by mori »

First time I have played since June so a few updates later. I think the Ark team could learn a thing or two from this developer. Performance has much improved and content changes are much more fundamental instead of adding things for the sake of adding them. Since Subnautic is SP I do not want to burn myself out on it before it is released.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Now I remember why I uninstalled the game :roll: . I just now reinstalled it so I could take a look at the current state of it and damn if I didn't find myself starting up a whole new survival experience, which as Paingod mentioned above, would have been my... well, I've lost track now, time playing through the game. But damn, it is in so much better shape than when I first got it. And as mori said, the updates are amazing in the content they add.

I hope that once they do release it the devs build on their experience and do something with the underwater environment in a new game.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: I hope that once they do release it the devs build on their experience and do something with the underwater environment in a new game.
Nah, keep the universe, but adapt their underwater expertise to making a space based title.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Strangely Id love a journey to the center of the earth type game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Curse you Subnautica! I promised myself I wouldn't start playing again till release, but in the past few months I'd only done Creative mode, so I decide I'd look at Survival again, and damn if I didn't end up spending six hours on just "looking" :roll:

A lot of things have changed... and now my bête noire is finding silver... gotta have silver.

And early game storage is still a pain:
Enlarge Image

But I did come across the Precursors... and a rescue mission :ninja:
Tao

Post by Tao »

Wouldn't it be easier to build a couple of storage lockers? It's a starting recipe and does not require a whole lot of materials, the single piece of silver is probably the hardest part to find and even that shouldn't take too long. The rest is just a few copper, and some titanium and quartz.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Tao wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to build a couple of storage lockers? It's a starting recipe and does not require a whole lot of materials, the single piece of silver is probably the hardest part to find and even that shouldn't take too long. The rest is just a few copper, and some titanium and quartz.
It was that single piece of silver that was the pain. I'm knee deep in gold but silver has been harder to find. That's OK though, it's made me look around for it.

And for anyone who hasn't gotten the game but plans on getting it, I'd seriously recommend not touching Creative mode till you've played Survival. It's a much more interesting game when you have to figure out what you want to do next.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Yeah, RNG can definitely be a pain at times, never what you need at that particular moment.

Has anyone playing the latest build been able to get some crash powder? I keep getting eggs now and I don't need eggs I need crash powder. :roll: Also finding some wonkiness with loot (fragments) but can't tell yet if it is odd or just RNG working against me. Have found like 12 seaglide fragments and pretty much nothing else.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm finding crash powder down in the caves, within the pods of those nasty crashfish. Sometimes there isn't any powder, sometimes there is an egg (which I guess is what you are talking about) but sometimes there is powder. Just bring some first aid :shock:
mori

Post by mori »

In previous builds I had issues with fragment issues like Tao has described, but this time I am finding a nice variety. Silver is a PITA. I have a locker full of gold, but only found about 4 pieces of silver. Only found silver below 100 meters so a seamoth is definitely needed.

Are you guys playing in survival mode? I cannot figure out how you get through the content so fast. I spend 50% of the time getting food and water.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I only ever played in survival. Granted that was a couple of builds ago, but once I set up a small base, food and water eased up considerably. One or two purifiers, a couple of lantern fruit (was that the name?) trees, and a small tank for captured food fish to breed in. The fruit is for filling up around the base, the purifiers provide high-quality water plus salt. The salt is used with the fish for travel food.

If you try to get by on just the stuff from the crafting station and cooked food, though, you'll never get ahead of the curve. That stuff is just until you get established.
mori

Post by mori »

Blackhawk wrote:I only ever played in survival. Granted that was a couple of builds ago, but once I set up a small base, food and water eased up considerably. One or two purifiers, a couple of lantern fruit (was that the name?) trees, and a small tank for captured food fish to breed in. The fruit is for filling up around the base, the purifiers provide high-quality water plus salt. The salt is used with the fish for travel food.

If you try to get by on just the stuff from the crafting station and cooked food, though, you'll never get ahead of the curve. That stuff is just until you get established.
They do not give you that stuff anymore. You have to find fragments for almost everything. They do not even give you room blueprints.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

No, I don't think they gave you that stuff back them either (other than the room blueprints). It's slower, but you still can do it...I basically make a beeline to the room blueprint (I looked up where it was) and then the rest comes together like before.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No, they didn't give it to you right away, but it was still the priority.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

mori wrote:Are you guys playing in survival mode? I cannot figure out how you get through the content so fast. I spend 50% of the time getting food and water.
I'm playing Survival mode and the water problem is easier now since I'm finding a lot more salt. Salt plus coral makes bleach, and that gives you a water bottle twice as big as a bladderfish. And salt helps with curing fish, which makes for a nice snack to take along. What I usually do it use the daylight to explore and the night time to hunt bladderfish and peepers.

You still have to find blueprints for some items, but instead of being randomly scattered they are in the wrecks that lies near the other lifepods that crashed near you. This change has really made the game more fun for me as I found the constant need to swim all over creation in a random way rather boring. And I made myself a compass which is a great help to me in mapping.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And yet another update to the game, Silent Running. Big changes to the Cyclops sub, making it more vulnerable but adding shields and new features, plus a revamped UI for consoles in the sub. See the Silent Running Update site for more details, videos and information on other changes to the game, including final models for many resources and two new Precursor caves. Can release be far behind?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Apparently October is the release target.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And for those who can't wait to play the game after official release, there's a new update, Voice of the Deep
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Have they addressed the performance issues yet? I suspect not if they've delayed the release to October. It's a Unity game so I wish them luck. I plan to get it at some point but not unless they can fix those issues.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And another major content release... The Ghost Update.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And another update, but this time not really adding new features... Eye Candy Update Released
Get those eyeballs ready, Subnautica has received a massive graphics overhaul. This is the Eye Candy Update: Subnautica has never looked so good.

A host of new graphics options are available in the main menu:

Chromatic aberration
Bloom
Lens artefacts
Dithering
Motion blur
Colour grading
Depth of field

All together, these options revolutionise the way Subnautica looks. You can mix and match all the options, and adjust their intensity, to find a look that you like best.

Eye Candy isn’t just a pretty face. This update contains a disgusting quantity of bug fixes – Over 250 at last count. In particular, we think we have solved the perennial and infamous drifting lifepod problem.

<and so on and so forth>
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Watched the video. As long as there is an option to leave it all off. I'm not a fan of the trend of trying to make games more realistic by simulating the weaknesses of movie cameras. This goes triple for blur effects. My eyes are not cameras. Treating them as such makes the game less attractive to me.