Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Cortilian

Re: Subnautica - another stranded survival game..looks good.

Post by Cortilian »

Anyone know if they have addressed the VR issues yet. This game is far and away the most amazing thing I have seen so far in VR.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:25 pm Watched the video. As long as there is an option to leave it all off. I'm not a fan of the trend of trying to make games more realistic by simulating the weaknesses of movie cameras. This goes triple for blur effects. My eyes are not cameras. Treating them as such makes the game less attractive to me.
QFT. Preach it.

I turn off lens flares, motion blur, occlusion, and anything else that's designed to actually distract my eye from good graphics.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I spent quality time with Subnautica over the holidays. It was my first extended play since 2016, and boy howdy, some things have changed. I was not expecting that one thing that happens to happen!

I was concerned that the world wouldn't seem as mysterious and creepy as the first time I played, but there's still plenty of mystery and creepiness to be found. Including quite a few deep-sea creatures that I did not see last time around.

I was going to wait until full release before diving into Subnautica whole-hog, but I'm feeling pretty invested in the current play-through. I just built my first Cyclops submarine to explore the depths with. And I need to figure out how to retrieve the Seamoth that I abandoned about 850 meters down. (Protip: don't exit your Seamoth in an area that is likely to kill you.)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I gave it a look for the first time in months and I'm very impressed. Not only are things a lot prettier, but now the game runs very smoothly at 60fps, whereas before the fps jumped up and down all the time. I'm looking forward to final release.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

This game remains up in the top echelons of the rash of "survival" games that have been pouring out of developers over the last couple of years. It's smooth, polished, and a lot of fun to explore. I'm trying to resist a fourth play-through of the content so I can devour it on full release, again.

Every change they've added has been for the better - which is unusual in itself.
Black Lives Matter

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Yeah I have had this for ever but only really started playing over xmas, damn it's good. So atmospheric and spooky at times. The need to widen your circle of exploration even though you don't know what's out there is great.

I am just starting to find other lifepods and build my own smaller base but it is sucking me in more and more.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I played it (as much as was available) in September of '16. At this point, I'm waiting for the full release that is supposed to be very, very soon.

/edit - and for the record, it was one of my favorite games that year.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Announced on Blues News, Subnautica releases this month
Subnautica This Month

[Jan 09, 2018, 10:03 am ET] - 1 Comment
Unknown Worlds announces January 23rd will be the release date for Subnautica, their underwater action game. This game has traveled at least 20,000 leagues under the seas since its "earliest access" launch in October of 2014 and its Early Access launch two months later. They are celebrating the event with a Subnautica Launch Livestream from the Monterey Bay Aquarium in California. This game follows the scenario of a lot of sci-fi survival games, except you crash land on the ocean floor, rather than an alien planet. Here's a bit:

Dive Into a Vast Underwater World
You have crash-landed on alien ocean world, and the only way to go is down. Subnautica's oceans range from sun drenched shallow coral reefs to treacherous deep-sea trenches, lava fields, and bio-luminescent underwater rivers. Manage your oxygen supply as you explore kelp forests, plateaus, reefs, and winding cave systems. The water teems with life: Some of it helpful, much of it harmful.

Scavenge, Craft, and Survive
After crash landing in your Life Pod, the clock is ticking to find water, food, and to develop the equipment you need to explore. Collect resources from the ocean around you. Craft knives, lights, diving gear, and personal water craft. Venture deeper and further form to find rarer resources, allowing you to craft more advanced items.

Construct Underwater Habitats
Build bases on the sea floor. Choose layouts and components, and manage hull-integrity as depth and pressure increase. Use your base to store resources, park vehicles, and replenish oxygen supplies as you explore the vast ocean.
Thank goodness, my wife is busy, busy, busy with tax season and I have a lot of free time. I already have 40 hours in the game, but most of that was back in early Early Access. So, two weeks to go...
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

What, you're not going to wait for the first DLC to hit, or the next one?

:lol:
Black Lives Matter

Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Just started playing this and it's awesome. Wish I had more time to throw at it. Scarily atmospheric even in the starter areas.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New update this morning but no new features added, just bug fixed. A few details here: Just Quietly, Subnautica Has Been Updated
Hello divers! We just released an update to Subnautica on Steam. We’re not making a huge fuss out of it, because it doesn’t contain big showy features, and we’re trying to keep focus on the Launch Livestream.

The update does include the blood, sweat, and tears of the development team: Mountains of bug-fixes, polish tasks, minor feature enhancements, performance improvements. The kind of stuff that’s crucial for our imminent release.

This won’t be the final update before launch, the 1.0 version of Subnautica will include yet more bug fixing. However, it is the build we’re giving to press for reviews. So wish us luck!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I finally did it. It wasn't easy, and I wasn't expecting it, but I finally
Spoiler:
accidentally got my Cyclops destroyed.

Oops.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Time to break out the Rift and see if it's improved.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

AWS260 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:02 pm I finally did it. It wasn't easy, and I wasn't expecting it, but I finally
Spoiler:
accidentally got my Cyclops destroyed.

Oops.
Spoiler:
Depth Issues, Ramming Issues, or Creature Issues?
Black Lives Matter

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The latter. It's dangerous down there!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Indeed!

I believe the correct action in those circumstances is "OhShitOhShitOhShitOhShit"
Black Lives Matter

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

With Subnautica's release right around the corner, I wanted to post this tip for potential new players:

Avoid spoilers and watch/read as little as possible about the game in advance. Subnautica does a very good job of laying out a trail of breadcrumbs to guide you in exploring the world.

Don't go on the Steam boards; even the thread topics are chock-full of spoilers. Don't read the patch notes or even the names of the beta updates; they are spoilerrific. Don't visit the Subnautica website or the developer's public Trello board.

You may eventually get to a point in the late game where a wiki or guide will help you. But aim for a clean start. There are many surprises to discover, and it's much better to discover them in-game than anywhere else.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just got 6 new cards for this game and I dont even have it installed.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And for those (like me) waiting for it, the game has come out of Early Access and is released :horse:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have been keeping an open game slot for it since I finished Warhammer II yesterday.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Damn, I was afraid of this. I put in 40 hours on the game in EA, and now after playing two hours post release I'm feeling "been there, done that, been killed by big fish before" feeling. Same thing happened to me with Prison Architect. This is why I never buy Early Access any more.

Well, I'll wait a few days and see if I feel different.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I loved it in EA, but I played it in 2016, then made sure I didn't touch it again until now.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Be sure you are not playing the experimental version! (Like I was, got a patch as soon as I changed back).
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I should have taken my own advice earlier. I spent four hours on a 'new' game but I can't load it this morning because it was on the experimental branch. Geezus.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

How can you tell?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

There's a big x over my save file and I cannot load it.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Started playing for the first time last night and I love it. I was on the fence on whether I should even buy it because I knew it was only $10 a few weeks ago, but I don't have any regrets paying double that.

My only real complaint so far is that the blueprints & encyclopedia interface seems geared a bit more toward console and it's not the easiest to find what you are looking for. A minor annoyance at most.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:35 amMy only real complaint so far is that the blueprints & encyclopedia interface seems geared a bit more toward console and it's not the easiest to find what you are looking for. A minor annoyance at most.
I didn't even know this was planned for consoles, but I get your frustration. I assumed it was all UI decisions based around trying to be immersive with your character using a PDA to control everything.
Black Lives Matter

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

It may not be for consoles, it just feels like it to me. Also, while we are on it I don't like that esc doesn't exit from the menu. I think this may in part be because the game doesn't pause while you are in menus, which I'm 50/50 on whether is a good thing or bad thing.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:14 am It may not be for consoles, it just feels like it to me. Also, while we are on it I don't like that esc doesn't exit from the menu. I think this may in part be because the game doesn't pause while you are in menus, which I'm 50/50 on whether is a good thing or bad thing.
You mean from the PDA? Yeah, that's always been an annoyance. Especially when you go from fabricator to PDA, since you Esc out of the first and Tab out of the other. I'd say you'll get used to it, but after 42 it still trips me up :roll:
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Well I'm playing on my Xbox One S because I got mad at the PC version. No experimental versions on Xbox!!! It looks fantastic on my 60" 4K TV, I'll say that. And better on my decrepit body as well :).
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I started playing this again this afternoon. I'm about five hours in on Survival mode. I unlocked the blueprint for the compass which was great, since I have a horrible time remembering where I saw things. However, it needed silver which was a pain in the butt to find. And then I remembered how frustrating this game can get, when you are swimming in the deep and you realize you've past this way about three times previously and yup, there wasn't any silver there before. I finally did find my silver but almost got killed for my trouble... (spoiler regarding location of silver)
Spoiler:
Silver can be found on the bottoms of kelp forests, which is well and good, except those nasty stalkers prowl around and there are some caves in which it is very easy to get lost. I got in one and it got very dark and almost drown trying to find my way out.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

My new underseas home... well, it's an underwater tube.

Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You have to make sure that you don't keep stuff on you when exploring. Use the portable lockers to save stuff so if you do get lost and drown,you won't lose anything important. I put my portable lockers very close to the start.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:39 am You have to make sure that you don't keep stuff on you when exploring. Use the portable lockers to save stuff so if you do get lost and drown,you won't lose anything important. I put my portable lockers very close to the start.
Hmm, I don't know how true that is anymore. I'm playing in Survival mode and last night I drowned :( . But when I spawned back in my new underwater habitat I hadn't lost anything, all my crafted tools were intact and so were the rations I had brought with me. I'm not sure about other items like fish and rocks. I'd test this but I don't want to risk screwing up my progress :roll:
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I think you only lose what you picked up since you were last at home. Or it might be since your last save.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Can you save if you aren't home? I haven't tried.

And a minor spoiler question from the first hour or two of gameplay;
Spoiler:
Do you have to keep radiation gear on all the time? I have a rebreather helmet that I'd like to use but It's not clear to me if it's safe to use since the ship's reactor blew up.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:28 pm I think you only lose what you picked up since you were last at home. Or it might be since your last save.
It would make sense about when you were last in your base, but on the other hand I do reflexively save a lot so it might be that. Anyway, it's a good thing since if I had lost all my tools, including my fancy new compass I don't know if I'd have the inclination to start over.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Archinerd wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:31 pm Can you save if you aren't home? I haven't tried.

And a minor spoiler question from the first hour or two of gameplay;
Spoiler:
Do you have to keep radiation gear on all the time? I have a rebreather helmet that I'd like to use but It's not clear to me if it's safe to use since the ship's reactor blew up.
You can save anytime, or at least I've never had a problem saving anytime in Survivor mode. Regarding the second question...
Spoiler:
In my game the ship's reactor has blown and I've been using my rebreather I just made without issue, but then I've not gone near the ship.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Lorini wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:39 am You have to make sure that you don't keep stuff on you when exploring. Use the portable lockers to save stuff so if you do get lost and drown,you won't lose anything important. I put my portable lockers very close to the start.
Portable lockers did you say?